• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well despite what this article says, I'm really not expecting the NX portable to launch without the console alongside it. They whole gimmick (as far as we know at this point) is that the two work in tandem. You can play the same games on one as you can on the other. But if you don't have your system's main selling point available until 6 months after launch...that's a big problem.

I feel confident that both will still launch this year, at the same time, and the only reason it wouldn't happen is due to production problems.

well maybe those production rumors are true and they are trying to get ahead of the curve?

Well despite what this article says, I'm really not expecting the NX portable to launch without the console alongside it. They whole gimmick (as far as we know at this point) is that the two work in tandem. You can play the same games on one as you can on the other. But if you don't have your system's main selling point available until 6 months after launch...that's a big problem.

I feel confident that both will still launch this year, at the same time, and the only reason it wouldn't happen is due to production problems.

Confirmed?

Mr Swine

Banned

I think the handheld could be released somewhere in Juli-Aug while the NX console around Nov-Dec. Not that far apart

Litri

New handheld is going to be hype. It'll be interesting to see how they position it now that smartphones and tablets are everywhere.

Most interesting is that I think that although the handheld console market has declined considerably, there's still plenty of people that would jump in.

Fact (with its share of anecdotal evidence) : I know lots of friends that have smartphones and PSVitas that would buy a Nintendo handheld (some already bought a new 3DS) if there are enough "proper games" to play on it.

Most interesting is that I think that although the handheld console market has declined considerably, there's still plenty of people that would jump in.

Fact (with its share of anecdotal evidence) : I know lots of friends that have smartphones and PSVitas that would buy a Nintendo handheld (some already bought a new 3DS) if there are enough "proper games" to play on it.

Exactly

They only need to fill the demand that already exists. They could score the entire Vita and 3DS crowd with the right machine

Neoxon

Nintendo has been announcing games on a 6 - 12 month release period. On a per week release period for their eshop exclusives. So basically a few money makers may still be announced for the fall or summer. Ignoring all that, how much sense does an exclusive hand held release sound when Japan is getting Pokemon Z, Yokoi Watch 3, and Monster Hunter Stories this Fall.
I'm talking about Nintendo's output, not third parties. The latter is obviously picking up the slack.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I have a Wii U and I would buy a handheld on which 8-bit games would be an option and not the rule.
hyperbole to point the issue

Turrican3

That workaround to see the whole WSJ article is pretty dumb considering you normally need a sub to see it. I wonder if they even know about it.
Whoops, hope I didn't do anything wrong. :-\

I only mentioned it because I remembered about somebody suggesting it in the previous NX WSJ rumour thread, and it seemed... acceptable (?), as I seem to recall no mods warning or things like that.

piccolo85

How about a Nintendo smartphone?
This mockup is a slider:

Nintendo%20Phone.jpg

This way, it could play regular cellphone games and nintendo handheld (NX) games in a single device. It would cater to both crowds.

Maybe it's too far'fetched?

I would be all over this. I have a PSvita and a 3DS and I barely use them. I just can't be bothered to take them on my commute to work, therefore I have to play smartephone games. I am only willing to carry around one device, I would love a Nintendo DS smartphone!

Peru

Well despite what this article says, I'm really not expecting the NX portable to launch without the console alongside it. The whole gimmick (as far as we know at this point) is that the two work in tandem. You can play the same games on one as you can on the other. But if you don't have your system's main selling point available until 6 months after launch...that's a big problem.

It's not, from the signals we've got, so much about two specific systems working in tandem, as in NX and future systems being unified, with a common OS and software library. So the 'gimmick' (which it isn't) is not about going from handheld to console and back - but that you're getting more games whatever system you choose. Releasing the console a year later only means it will have more games ready for its launch.

How about a Nintendo smartphone?
This mockup is a slider:

Nintendo%20Phone.jpg

This way, it could play regular cellphone games and nintendo handheld (NX) games in a single device. It would cater to both crowds.

Maybe it's too far'fetched?

I would buy thr shit outta that. But Nintendo is not in the position to launch a whole phone.

Banned
So that Foxconn July rumor wasn't BS? I'd be down for any version of the NX. I just want to play my Nintendo games at a higher fidelity with a competent and modern OS and account system.

Maybe transfer over my 3DS digital library and finish Majoras mask and bravely default.

Edit: NVM read BY2K's post who was wrong :p

benedictm

Banned
Well despite what this article says, I'm really not expecting the NX portable to launch without the console alongside it. The whole gimmick (as far as we know at this point) is that the two work in tandem. You can play the same games on one as you can on the other. But if you don't have your system's main selling point available until 6 months after launch...that's a big problem.

Surely the golden rule for Nintendo is not to launch unless there's a good few games available and at least a few to launch shortly after

Surely the golden rule for Nintendo is not to launch unless there's a good few games available and at least a few to launch shortly after

It would be nice if they launched with at least one of their big names on day one. Say, Zelda. Then a new Mario, Splatoon, Metroid in the first 12 months. Then we'd have scope for sequels in 2-3 years time. Look at the Xbone and Forza. It launched with Forza 5, then Forza Horizon 2 a year later and Forza 6 came out ~2 years into the console's life. There's plenty of scope for Horizon 3 and Forza 7 before the next Xbox is due.

benedictm

Banned
It would be nice if they launched with at least one of their big names on day one. Say, Zelda. Then a new Mario, Splatoon, Metroid in the first 12 months. Then we'd have scope for sequels in 2-3 years time. Look at the Xbone and Forza. It launched with Forza 5, then Forza Horizon 2 a year later and Forza 6 came out ~2 years into the console's life. There's plenty of scope for Horizon 3 and Forza 7 before the next Xbox is due.

Absolutely. And this is 100x more important to have that ready rather than launch this year. The only get one chance with this.

benedictm

Banned
Why do you think weve been getting so man low budget spin offs?

Wel thats what we're all hoping right? I was surprised they didn't pull out a quick sequel to Super Mario 3D world like the did with Galaxy. Hopefully this is why.

I predicted they would make a paintball game - although i thought it would be Super Mario Paintball rather than a new IP so I'm hoping they will make the other game I've been hoping for: Pilotwings Island - a multiplayer take on pilot wings.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Didn't he recently retweet that "NX will play on PS4" silliness?

That makes it hard to take his predictions seriously.

ETA: full article w/o paywall: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/new-nintendo-handheld-device-seen-likely-this-year-20160128-00463

It's not his prediction and that wasn't his prediction either, he is just reporting what different analysts say. Still, if you read this article, it seems to be more than just an assumption and it's based on the estimated screens production.

jahasaja

Both Wii U and 3DS have lots of big games coming out this year. Feels one year too early for either of them to be replaced.

Really? If 2016 is considered a good year for either of these platforms I do not know if we even need the NX since that would mean that Nintendo completely lost its ability to release enough games.

maxcriden

That doesn't sound like something Nintendo would do with a console. It requires a visor, right?

would probably be more like pokemon go. actually, if we really want to push this concept, consider the nintendo account and mynintendo. mynintendo is supposed to work with movies, theme parks and other licensed projects. imagine that you're watching a show on netflix, and you have your nx portable on a certain setting to interact with the program. or you're at universal at the nintendo land area and can use the augmented reality features to find certain secrets or what have you.

Wouldn't this indicate the AR feature being a hallmark of the handheld and not the console as the article states, though?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That doesn't sound like something Nintendo would do with a console. It requires a visor, right?

Wouldn't this indicate the AR feature being a hallmark of the handheld and not the console as the article states, though?

Isn't the augmented reality part from the same David Gibson analysis (including the part about working with PC, mobile and maybe PS4) that you belittled earlier?

Excited to hear of course Nintendo hasn't left the dedicated handheld space but if NX is releasing this year I'd hope they release details much sooner than summer.

Edit: Unless they intend to release info on the home console soon and are going to hold off on a full reveal of the portable itself so as not to harm 3DS sales in the meantime?

Eddie Nash

Neo Member
Excited to hear of course Nintendo hasn't left the dedicated handheld space but if NX is releasing in 2016 you'd hope they would release details much sooner than summer.

That's what makes me suspicious of this 2016 release prediction. Besides, Nintendo doesn't seem to be in a rush to release it. They announced it to calm down both their investors and consumers, since many were saying they were going 3rd party. Also, they said several times that NX is hard in development. At this point it should be already in production stage if they expect to lauch it this year. Imho, it will be released only in 2017.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I still wonder if the common architecture/platform they've been talking about necessarily means that their devices will share a common hardware platform. They could also mean that they are building a common set of software tools (APIs, libraries/frameworks, tool chains, etc., maybe also a common representation of intermediate code that is then compiled into native code on the target device itself) that are designed to be easily portable between different hardware platforms. The reference to advances in mobile hardware could just mean that mobile hardware is now powerful enough to allow the necessary level of software abstraction. Moreover, abstracting completely from the hardware platform allows applications to be forward compatible.

If that's the case, the two devices that we are speculating about could end up having completely different SoCs.

jahasaja

A hybrid would just be the worst of both worlds. It would probably be a bad home console and a bad portable. Separate devices with a unified environment is the way to go.

Never thought about it like this but you make a good point. The main point of the NX seems to be the elimination of software draughts even with almost no third party support and perhaps that is enough to make it viable.

Even though I personally would love a hybrid.

maxcriden

Yeah I think those prices are crazy.. these expectations are pretty much out there. Although that guy knows what size screen and stuff Nintendo are tryna go with im sure he knows if its a handheld too which seem likely based on his observations.

We don't know what if anything he knows. I wouldn't take a ton of stock in anything here other than the screens being produced.

Yeah, I think it'll be 200 as well. Not lower, but not higher.
It'll have to be pretty damn amazing to be worth $250

I'd be astonished if Nintendo released a handheld at $250 again after the 3DS pricing gaffe at launch.

Whole reason why I didn't want to mention that as I knew of it. If they didn't know, they do now. Also someone pointed it out back in the previous one hence how I knew of it. :p

Ah, sorry I linked to it without catching up on the thread. I didn't think it was frowned upon.

I think the handheld could be released somewhere in Juli-Aug while the NX console around Nov-Dec. Not that far apart

I'm not holding my breath for a summer release unless Nintendo really is pulling an Apple up to and including announcements near-immediately followed by product launches. Although come to think of it...they did announce and release N3DS surprisingly close together.

It's not, from the signals we've got, so much about two specific systems working in tandem, as in NX and future systems being unified, with a common OS and software library. So the 'gimmick' (which it isn't) is not about going from handheld to console and back - but that you're getting more games whatever system you choose. Releasing the console a year later only means it will have more games ready for its launch.

These are good opposing viewpoints and I'm not sure what the answer will be. You both make good points. The big question for me is whether the handheld launching several months before the console would mean people would hold off buying the handheld so they could wait and get the console experience as their first experience with the games. I mean, if it's NX Zelda handheld vs. Zelda U that seems an odd match-up.

I totally get where you're coming from but I think this is unrealistic based on past console output. Maybe a 2D Zelda every couple years, let's say, but Nintendo hasn't indicated an ability to put out a Zelda more than every 4-5 years for a console experience in a decade. I hope that changes as I love console Zeldas. Splatoon seems like a once-per-console generation deal similar to MK. Metroid, I can't even begin to guess. Fans will be lucky to get one 2D and one 3D Metroid per gen. With Nintendo averse to iterative sequels, I would be surprised to see this pan out, for better or for worse.

It's not his prediction and that wasn't his prediction either, he is just reporting what different analysts say. Still, if you read this article, it seems to be more than just an assumption and it's based on the estimated screens production.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. My point was simply that the PS4 speculation was such a ludicrous prediction was being bandied around the internet as fact, that it discredits Mochizuki a bit for me to see him retweet it as a legitimate prediction. He called it a very interesting report, and that seems to give it more credence and then people take it more seriously. Remember when I made that dumb Captain Toad review thread title joke and you and others were (understandably) pissed because you felt it would create FUD about the game? By that same token, I feel Gibson's report that the console “may work with smartphones, PCs and even rival consoles such as PlayStation 4" to have a similar chilling effect in two ways--(1) when nothing like it comes to fruition as advertised, people who weren't interested to begin with will take it as an opportunity to concern troll and (2)

Isn't the augmented reality part from the same David Gibson analysis (including the part about working with PC, mobile and maybe PS4) that you belittled earlier?

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's analysis. But since (I think) we aren't seriously entertaining that NX “may work with smartphones, PCs and even rival consoles such as PlayStation 4" (at least not in the sense of being able to play games on it as that makes it sound), I find the concept itself ludicrous and kinda irresponsible to disseminate. The word belittle has a negative connotation that makes it sound like I'm denigrating the analyst or trying to be mean. I'm really not. My question about AR was simplying about Ani's theory, which sounds reasonable enough to me. Gibson didn't invent the idea that
Nintendo might continue with AR, and I'm just curious how Ani expects it to manifest vs. how much credence he takes in the analyst's perspective that it would be a hallmark of the console and not the handheld. My understanding is that console AR is a VR-like visor-based experience, and as such it sounds less like a Nintendo-like experience of co-op couch gaming, whereas with handheld AR I thought it's glasses-less and that handheld gaming is more introverted to begin with.

Excited to hear of course Nintendo hasn't left the dedicated handheld space but if NX is releasing in 2016 you'd hope they would release details much sooner than summer.

I hope and expect details will come sooner, and that it's more of a full reveal with games to be seen at E3.

Motivated by the BPlus comments, I was looking over the Free Form Controller Patent again recently. A few things jumped out at me that I don't think were discussed much (if at all). Lacking any new tidbits, this is the best we have to go on at the moment.

Although the key top portion 1800 is formed in a form of an equilateral pentagon, it may be formed in other polygon form or circular form.
This is talking about the top of the analog stick. Is Nintendo crazy enough to make the top of the stick into an octogon or other non-circular shape? Would that necessarily provide any benefit? They've done odd-shaped buttons before, so they can work. Think of the kidney bean buttons on the Gamecube controller.
In addition, although a form of the first portion is made into an elliptical form when viewing from the front in this embodiment, it does not need to be limited to this. For example, the first portion is made in a track form, oval form or square form when viewing from the front, or a form approximating to them. When the first portion is made into the track form or the oval form when viewing from the front, the both end portions of the first portion are made into the form of a semi-circle or approximately semi-circle.
Here are some "track forms" that might make for an interesting map view in racing games. Think of the Pokken Tournament controller, which is basically shaped like Daytona Speedway.
Furthermore, although the operation stick that a direction input and a depression input are possible is embedded in the display panel and the touch panel in this embodiment, other input means may be made to be embedded. For example, a cross button that a direction input is possible may be embedded, a push button that a depression input is possible may be embedded or both the cross button and the push button may be embedded. In addition, the cross button and the push button may be embedded instead of the operation stick or may be embedded together with the operation stick.
All sorts of different button configurations are possible, but the point is to have them hidden by the thumb of the player.
Furthermore, although the hole is opened in the display panel and the touch panel, and the operation stick is embedded in them in this embodiment, it does not need to be limited to this. For example, by cutting off a portion hidden by the thumb when holding the information processing apparatus (housing), and the operation stick may be embedded in the portion.
I'd be down for some mockups using these descriptions. I've been trying to picture having at least one physical button on either side beneath and slightly further apart than the analog sticks in the patent drawings, but I'm having a hard time imagining a comfortable spacing. Any takers?

The hardware was already weak as shit when it launched

Now 6 years later its brought equal parts pain and compromise amid its otherwise amazing games

True. Not just from a technical standpoint, but ergonomically the thing is fucking painful just to hold and play on. So many great games though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom