• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The new assumption is based on an expected increase in production of small flat screens because of some Nintendo hardware and from that to the assumption that it's the handheld that launches. But that doesn't exclude a console launch. Not to mention a possible gamepad with screen in it.

If a new handheld was coming out this Summer they would have announced it already. This is crazy.

Next week can't come soon enough.

Unveil details in the summer, not launch.

I'll be honest. My main issue with the console likely missing 2016...

... is because the 25th Anniversary Sonic game might skip it and the handheld will likely just get a gimped low-budget version. AKA, Generations all over again. :(

This might be avoided if the console is in spring.

Literally, Sonic is the sole reason I want it this year LOL! XD
Zelda is mine. I don't want it to miss 2016. Though, yeah, Nintendo might miss out on Sonic's anniversary game...again. I think they want it on PS4 and X1 and without the NX system I don't see them downgrading t to Wii U this time around
If a new handheld was coming out this Summer they would have announced it already. This is crazy.

Next week can't come soon enough.
*details* in the summer.

i think it's possible they have two skus:

1. handheld-only. it's got some sort of new thing™ to draw in a wider crowd, but it's also the lowest barrier of entry
2. console-handheld hybrid. it would essentially be the wii u except you can take the gamepad on the go. it would also be more expensive, but the home console would have the best performance.

i don't think they'll try to wow people with two new ideas (touch/motion and 3d/tablet), so they'll focus on just the one. this gives their design teams a sense of direction in addition to only making games for one platform. plus, with the device essentially a handheld, they don't have to worry about multiple mediums and just stick with game cards. considering it would be handheld focused, it would get them at the very least some solid japanese support for the first year or two, and maybe longer if the system is successful in japan.

dqxi is hitting nx too though. plus, you don't want to let your platforms die before you replace them.

Why not just have the console on its own? Unless you think it'll end up as successful as the Vita TV? *cough*

I'll be honest. My main issue with the console likely missing 2016...

... is because the 25th Anniversary Sonic game might skip it and the handheld will likely just get a gimped low-budget version. AKA, Generations all over again. :(

This might be avoided if the console is in spring.

Literally, Sonic is the sole reason I want it this year LOL! XD
If things are going as we suspect the handheld and console version will be the same thing no?

Thraktor

I guess that at 14nm, a semi custom with 4 A72 cores and 2CU might bring that down a bit. Now the problem comes from what does Nintendo aim with their handheld. A 128gflops handheld, at 540p, would be like more than 16 times the 3DS hardware power, that's accounting the resolution bump. Will Nintendo go for that much of an upgrade ? And will they cheap out on components ? Because the success for a good SoC in a handheld is to offer decent battery life, limited heat and good power. Which means, either Nintendo will go for said 128gflops handheld (2CU at 500mhz), with a decent battery (more than 2000mAh) and good materials, like aluminium, which would help heat dissipation... or go for sth on par with Vita, or twice faster (basically, Vita is like 28gflops, so something like a 64gflops handheld, or in that territory), with a cheap plastic case and a less than 1800mAh battery.

And that is, of course, if they go for a classic hardware or find a new expensive gimmick.

At 14nm there shouldn't be any problem in providing good perf/W (particularly as they can use the Polaris architecture), but cost may be a problem for a late 2016 release.

I would actually guess that Nintendo would go for quite a big jump in performance over the 3DS, because the smaller the gap between the handheld and console the easier it is to cross-develop games for both pieces of hardware. In the ideal case the performance difference should be roughly proportional to the resolution difference (i.e. the console being 4x more powerful than the handheld for 1080p and 540p respectively), but I don't expect they would manage that unless they go with a 14nm handheld SoC and/or a severely underpowered home console. The closer they can get to it the better, though, so a relatively powerful handheld with a low-res screen is the way to go.

Amd would make sense as the other makers are laser focused on phones, no? Wouldn't it cost more to get them to devote resources to a niche thing like a gaming hh, especially when you factor in opportunity cost? I assume Nintendo is not going off-the-shelf of course.

Well, Qualcomm makes the Adreno mobile GPUs, which are capable enough, and a number of vendors would be able to offer PowerVR graphics (as used in iPhone/iPad), which probably offers the top performance in a mobile/handheld power envelope. There's also ARM's own Mali GPUs, which are quite widely used, and then Nvidia, who are obviously graphics focussed with the Tegra (although having dropped the Tegra 3 from the 3DS, Nintendo might be wary of partnering with Nvidia again). Lots of options there which could reach the sort of performance levels Nintendo wants.

The advantage of AMD is that, as I described above, they could provide a handheld chip which uses the same GPU architecture as the home console, simplifying cross-development between the two pieces of hardware. The disadvantage is that they don't have any experience offering this architecture at the kind of ultra-low power envelopes that Adreno/PowerVR/Mali are designed for, so it's hard to say if they'd be able to provide suitable performance within the thermal limits of a handheld.

Zelda is mine. I don't want it to miss 2016. Though, yeah, Nintendo might miss out on Sonic's anniversary game...again. I think they want it on PS4 and X1 and without the NX system I don't see them downgrading t to Wii U this time around

*details* in the summer.

I wouldn't want them to do a downgraded version for Wii U and call it a day, unless they get O-TWO and Xeen on that (ala Unleashed Wii) and do a Definitive Version on NX console for Spring 2017 to make up for the gap.

I love Dimps. I just want them on their own unique Sonic games again and not just crappy versions of console games. :( They'd be perfect doing just that on the NX handheld and Sonic Team for the console like way back before Colors.

As we've seen from ASRT's numbers favoring Wii U, missing the NX console for it could be a big mistake. And I have a good feeling people will wait for an NX console version as long as they know it's on the way.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Google the article link and then click on the first result o_O

...Ok, didn't know that work-around. I feel stupid right now. Some quotes

“We expect a small recovery in shipments of flat-panel displays for game devices because of Nintendo’s new game hardware expected to be released in 2016,” said Hiroshi Hayase, a senior principal analyst at IHS Technology, part of IHS, at the firm’s display forum held in Tokyo.

The research firm expects shipments of displays sized between 3.1-inches and 5.0-inches wide to increase to 16.5 million units this year, up from 14.1 million units last year. OLED displays would remain unused by the market players, the data show.

Mr. Hayase declined to specify what size of display Nintendo is likely to use for its new device, but said he expects the product to be a stand-alone portable gaming machine, such as the 3DS, rather than a display-equipped controller for a console such as Wii U.

Analysts watching Nintendo closely expect the Kyoto-based company to unveil details of the new system at a Los Angeles videogame show in June, and make the product available in stores by the end of this year.

David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Capital Securities, wrote in a recent report that he expects “a portable NX” to be launched in November, at a price range between $200 and $300. A partner console will follow in 2017, and the platform would include augmented reality functions, he said.

This last one quote actually gives some context for IHS's forecast.

IHS makes data and forecasts based on its own discussions with companies including component suppliers, said an IHS spokeswoman.

AniHawk

Why not just have the console on its own? Unless you think it'll end up as successful as the Vita TV? *cough*

because i think the handheld portion has some sort of secret thing that is going to be the reason nintendo hopes people want it, and it probably won't be easily replicated with wii u pro controller.

McHuj

I would hope that the new handheld can at least match GPU performance of a Snapdragon 800 or Apple A7 so around 100mm on 28nm. But I would assume Nintendo would go with A53's instead for the CPU.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The article doesn't really exclude a console launch at the same time, just reiterates the assumption of David Gibson about it. Which is just this, an assumption.

Eddie Nash

Neo Member
Amd would make sense as the other makers are laser focused on phones, no? Wouldn't it cost more to get them to devote resources to a niche thing like a gaming hh, especially when you factor in opportunity cost? I assume Nintendo is not going off-the-shelf of course.

How about a Nintendo smartphone?
This mockup is a slider:

Nintendo%20Phone.jpg

This way, it could play regular cellphone games and nintendo handheld (NX) games in a single device. It would cater to both crowds.

Maybe it's too far'fetched?

McHuj

I disagree with the price estimate for IHS. I don't think the handheld can be above $200 and I don't think Nintendo wants a repeat of the 3DS launch.

AniHawk

You mean that minigame thing nobody plays after the first day of getting the system?

would probably be more like pokemon go. actually, if we really want to push this concept, consider the nintendo account and mynintendo. mynintendo is supposed to work with movies, theme parks and other licensed projects. imagine that you're watching a show on netflix, and you have your nx portable on a certain setting to interact with the program. or you're at universal at the nintendo land area and can use the augmented reality features to find certain secrets or what have you.

I disagree with the price estimate for IHS. I don't think the handheld can be above $200 and I don't think Nintendo wants a repeat of the 3DS launch.

They already sell n3DS at that price right now lol

Im guessing they are making a killing on the margin at this point?

I wonder what the old systems are going to drop to once NX hits

BY2K

Membero Americo
would probably be more like pokemon go. actually, if we really want to push this concept, consider the nintendo account and mynintendo. mynintendo is supposed to work with movies, theme parks and other licensed projects. imagine that you're watching a show on netflix, and you have your nx portable on a certain setting to interact with the program. or you're at universal at the nintendo land area and can use the augmented reality features to find certain secrets or what have you.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

Yeah I think those prices are crazy.. these expectations are pretty much out there. Although that guy knows what size screen and stuff Nintendo are tryna go with im sure he knows if its a handheld too which seem likely based on his observations.

Yeah, I think it'll be 200 as well. Not lower, but not higher.
It'll have to be pretty damn amazing to be worth $250

antonz

Still feels like a stretch to have NX Portable form factor release this year. 3DS has major titles coming out for pretty much the entire year.

Really doesn't make sense to have DQ games etc. coming out late summer etc. and then say oh yeah buy our new Handheld where those games will more than likely be useless.

Would be more logical to have made them be NX games if handheld is right around the corner. Would be major launch titles

How about a Nintendo smartphone?
This mockup is a slider:

Nintendo%20Phone.jpg

This way, it could play regular cellphone games and nintendo handheld (NX) games in a single device. It would cater to both crowds.

Maybe it's too far'fetched?
I dont think Nintendo should be messing around with cellphones. There was some articles yesterday talking about the market for mobile phones is shrinking. Apparently they are all becoming the same. Playing Nintendo games will be good for a little while then thats it.

Still feels like a stretch to have NX Portable form factor release this year. 3DS has major titles coming out for pretty much the entire year.

Really doesn't make sense to have DQ games etc. coming out late summer etc. and then say oh yeah buy our new Handheld where those games will more than likely be useless.

Would be more logical to have made them be NX games if handheld is right around the corner. Would be major launch titles

Useless?

I cant imagine some form of BC wont be available

BY2K

Membero Americo
That workaround to see the whole WSJ article is pretty dumb considering you normally need a sub to see it. I wonder if they even know about it.

McHuj

They already sell n3DS at that price right now lol

Im guessing they are making a killing on the margin at this point?

I wonder what the old systems are going to drop to once NX hits

Yes, they also have $100 2DS entry point. I don't think the entry point can be about above $200. It's fine if they offer a premium version at a higher price point.

That workaround to see the whole WSJ article is pretty dumb considering you normally need a sub to see it. I wonder if they even know about it.

Whole reason why I didn't want to mention that as I knew of it. If they didn't know, they do now. Also someone pointed it out back in the previous one hence how I knew of it. :p

I dont think Nintendo should be messing around with cellphones. There was some articles yesterday talking about the market for mobile phones is shrinking. Apparently they are all becoming the same. Playing Nintendo games will be good for a little while then thats it.

What if it comes with exclusive new ringtones made by Kondo???

No but i would LOVE it if someone would make the next great gaming smartphone

Xperia Play was the last contender and I loved mine.... but it was never iterated on

Neoxon

Most of those major titles, at least in the West, are late localizations. As far as Nintendo goes, they're developing fewer games than even the Wii U (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ngage was pre-smartphone era though

Xperia play was sleek and functional. Just too pricey and underpowered and came out too late.

That was when smartphone cycle was a short as 3 months between the NEXT big thing
To each their own but I honestly dont think it matters if it was in the smartphone era or not. The success will only be for awhile. Sometimes you need dedicated devices for certain things. With what battery and screen quality/size you gonna have a phone playing full blown console games on? You gonna be playing Zelda next minute your phone dead and you wont be able to text.

AntMurda

Most of those major titles are late localizations. As far as Nintendo goes, they're developing fewer games than even the Wii U (correct me if I'm wrong).

But Japan and 3DS is by far their strongest and most active market. Not only do they take in a lot of cash from third party licensees, but their first-party games sell more and are cheaper to develop. We know there are huge third party games due out in Japan, perhaps Nintendo will announce a few big titles alongside Pokemon.

To each their own but I honestly dont think it matters if it was in the smartphone era or not. The success will only be for awhile. Sometimes you need dedicated devices for certain things. With what battery and screen quality/size you gonna have a phone playing full blown console games on? You gonna be playing Zelda next minute your phone dead and you wont be able to text.

Thats exactly how I used Xperia Play up until it reached its limits lol. I did buy a larger battery for it though to your point

Im not saying we need Nintendo to make a gaming phone. I would actually rather they focus on making an awesome portable (3DS always rubbed me wrong for years)

That said I still wish at least ONE model existed

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nintendo will announce the NX handheld this year. It will work only with download games like the iOS/Android. The thing is: everything that you bought will be in your account, and you can re-download for free in the NX home console that will launch in 2017.

McHuj

Both Wii U and 3DS have lots of big games coming out this year. Feels one year too early for either of them to be replaced.

But that's irrelevant. The software will sell lots. You want to start building the new install base while the old one is still going strong so when the old platform dies, there's a sizeable install base already there on the new platform. The worst thing they could do is go through a complete dry spell between the old platform and new platform.

AntMurda

And again, Nintendo isn't exactly putting out a whole lot in the name of major 3DS titles. Granted, there's likely to be Pokémon Z, but that's Game Freak.

Nintendo has been announcing games on a 6 - 12 month release period. On a per week release period for their eshop exclusives. So basically a few money makers may still be announced for the fall or summer. Ignoring all that, how much sense does an exclusive hand held release sound when Japan is getting Pokemon Z, Yokoi Watch 3, and Monster Hunter Stories this Fall.

ChaosXVI

Well despite what this article says, I'm really not expecting the NX portable to launch without the console alongside it. The whole gimmick (as far as we know at this point) is that the two work in tandem. You can play the same games on one as you can on the other. But if you don't have your system's main selling point available until 6 months after launch...that's a big problem.

I feel confident that both will still launch this year, at the same time, and the only reason it wouldn't happen is due to production problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom