• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I'd assume that the next installment would the next numbered release in the series but built upon the Wii U game instead of being created again form the ground up, the idea of doing such every gen is silly especially when it comes to games like Smash, especially when the Wii U game is well received and would scale up nicely visually.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I mean, I know -why- the NX probably won't be backwards compatible, I just find it a little odd that people are... celebrating it, I guess?

The past gen on Nintendo consoles was just the evolution of their old hardware, now it will be a entirely new thing. With that, we can only dream what we will see

I think they'll take the GameCube route for geNX™ and release a slightly more powerful console (that you may have to duct tape two of together to get the real power) with connectivity options with the handheld ala GBA. They'll share a library (almost like the GC with a GBA adapter...) and if you have both the handheld and the console they'll work together in some way to enhance the experience outside of just playing on one of the other.

Backwards compatibility will be scrapped on the console since they're moving to cards (GameCube changed formats, no BC) but the cards will go up to 64GB, so instead of being smaller like GC mini discs they'll have more space than the current blu rays. The handheld will either play 3ds games or have some adapter that gives it BC. The handheld itself will be one screen. It will come with a charger.

The controller for the the console is going to be familiar but unique and it is going to scare people (GameCube), but it'll be revolutionary in its design. The scroll wheels will be part of all that.

Small HDD, 250GB sounds pretty good though 128 wouldn't be surprising. There will only be one model, unlike the Wii U and more like the...... GameCube!

NX is just going to be a Gamecube... and a GBA. And tape.

AmyS

What about DMP? provider of 3ds gpu. Nintendo has tendency of going for alternate routes..

http://en.dmprof.com/product/graphic_ipcore.html

Nintendo may be happy with DMP for 3ds gpu, what if they go for their gpu solution?

I kinda doubt they're going with a DMP GPU this time. If it's not AMD providing the handheld's GPU, there are other possibilities in the mobile space (adreno, mali, etc) but the strongest contender I think would be Imagination Technologies' PowerVR. It was mentioned as a possibility, along with AMD, by Eurogamer in January 2015, a few months before Nintendo announced codename NX. However, EG learned that PowerVR and AMD as possible hardware providers 18 months earlier. AMD was no surprise, but PowerVR would've been. However PowerVR is in everything that powers iOS, from the original iPhone in 2007, all the way to the iPad Pro.

Here's that part from EG:

10/01/2015
Around 18 months ago, during an informal chat with an extremely well-placed individual in the hardware manufacturing business, an interesting nugget of information dropped into the conversation - Nintendo was already accepting pitches from third parties on the hardware make-up of its successor for Wii U. Two names were mentioned: AMD and Imagination Technologies, creators of the PowerVR mobile graphics tech. With the lack of backing sources, that little aside never made it to print, but as Nintendo strives to bounce back from the Wii U sales disappointment, eyes inevitably turn towards future platforms.

What Nintendo is looking for in its next-gen hardware is a cheap, efficient architecture with in-built scalability, able to run comfortably in both handheld and console forms. We've mentioned Nvidia's enviable scalability, but there are plenty of other potential partners to choose from, kicking off with the two names mentioned in passing to us so long ago - Imagination Technologies and AMD. In the former, we see a UK company with some of the most advanced mobile GPU parts on the market - its eight-core PowerVR contribution to the iPad Air providing last-gen console-beating power in a tablet form factor. Its latest 6-series 'Rogue' architecture is a proven force on mobile, and based on the firm's whitepapers, the GPU should scale up to provide enough power to produce a generational leap beyond the Wii U.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-next-gen-hardware-and-the-strategy-behind-it

PowerVR architecture has, since its inception in the mid 90s, excelled at being scalable. While platforms that use PowerVR have not always been successful (Dreamcast, VITA), it had seen major success elsewhere (NAOMI arcade boards, and especially in Apple and other mobile devices).

I mean, I know -why- the NX probably won't be backwards compatible, I just find it a little odd that people are... celebrating it, I guess?

We're happy because we'll get a better product because of it. If they could switch to ARM and keep backwards compatibility we'd love it, but we'd rather have a common architecture that would facilitate third party support over backwards compatibility.

Somnid

I kinda doubt they're going with a DMP GPU this time. If it's not AMD providing the handheld's GPU, there are other possibilities in the mobile space (adreno, mali, etc) but the strongest contender I think would be Imagination Technologies' PowerVR. It was mentioned as a possibility, along with AMD, by Eurogamer in January 2015, a few months before Nintendo announced codename NX. However, EG learned that PowerVR and AMD as possible hardware providers 18 months earlier. AMD was no surprise, but PowerVR would've been. However PowerVR is in everything that powers iOS, from the original iPhone in 2007, all the way to the iPad Pro.

Here's that part from EG:

10/01/2015

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-next-gen-hardware-and-the-strategy-behind-it

PowerVR architecture has, since its inception in the mid 90s, excelled at being scalable. While platforms that use PowerVR have not always been successful (Dreamcast, VITA), it had seen major success elsewhere (NAOMI arcade boards, and especially in Apple and other mobile devices).

AMD and Imagine aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think AMD has any real solution for mobile graphics since their ARM stuff is mostly targeted at servers so it's much more likely they'd license a GPU design either Mali from ARM or PowerVR from Imagine rather than roll their own. Intel uses PowerVR for their low-power Atom line for the same reason.

TheMoon

Nonspecific you say???

non_specific_action_h7vpq4.jpg

new IP launch game confirmed!

AmyS

AMD and Imagine aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think AMD has any real solution for mobile graphics since their ARM stuff is mostly targeted at servers so it's much more likely they'd license a GPU design either Mali from ARM or PowerVR from Imagine rather than roll their own. Intel uses PowerVR for their low-power Atom line for the same reason.

You make a good point there. I'd be really happy with a Nintendo handheld using PowerVR7XT.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;193657997 said:
Still waiting. Normal office presence likely won't be resumed until next week, and then I may or may not receive something.
A shuriken in the knee?

You make a good point there. I'd be really happy with a Nintendo handheld using PowerVR7XT.
Bah. Gimme a wizard.

thefro

I'm really curious to see what they went with, because if you were picking chips just for a mobile device you'd go PowerVR/ARM and for the console you'd want AMD/x86. But it makes everything a lot easier to make the NX one unified platform if the console is just an scaled up version of the portable chipset.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Coolio, so you dont know something yet?
I know that what I shared with my source has been processed by someone close to the source. That someone has not replied, and I'm awaiting normal office presence to be resumed.

Banned
We're celebrating it because it means that we for sure won't get an overclocked Wii U CPU which is three overclocked Wii CPUs which was an overclocked GameCube CPU.

Also, it means the system becomes cheaper and/or smaller giving more room for spending on power or more room to cool the internal parts, which means higher clock speeds.

We're celebrating it because it means that we for sure won't get an overclocked Wii U CPU which is three overclocked Wii CPUs which was an overclocked GameCube CPU.

Also, it means the system becomes cheaper and/or smaller giving more room for spending on power or more room to cool the internal parts, which means higher clock speeds.

Yup

Clean slate is EXACTLY what Nintendo needs right now. And not just from the Hardware perspective either

Im hoping the new Unified platform for Hardware, Software, OS and Freatures allows them to be modern, slick and convenient going into the future

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Heck yeah. They could emulate the code and just intercept the drawcalls for raytracing.
Maybe even pathtracing? Super Mario 64 looks great as it is, but it could benefit from higher texture resolution, certain things (trees especially) being polygons instead of sprites, and lighting. Maybe the fluid system could do with a rework too.

When are we expecting news again?

Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Fuyo banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Fuyo banquet hall:

fuyompudt.png

Banned
I really believe the NX-era will be the equivalent of a reboot. Like how DC rebooting their universes with the New 52 arcs.

Nintendos messaging, new hardware architecture, naming, infrastructure and marketing is gonna push that. It'll basically be "fuck what you heard, forget about anything Nintendo pre-NX, the Sony fallout, the FFVII thing, the kiddy image, the loss of third parties, this isn't your daddies Nintendo."

Kinda like how Apple was a laughing stock until the iPod rebooted their reputation and success and lead to iPhone, iPad and iOS, along with Mac seeing a resurgence.

Trago

In the financial results briefing, they wouldn't give details about the NX itself, but when they'll announce details right?

Tarin02543

This is panic Nintendo we are talking about, I bet it will be special.

The cartridge rumors have been music to my ears. I say you can collect cartridges but you can't collect discs!

Neoxon

I really believe the NX-era will be the equivalent of a reboot. Like how DC rebooting their universes with the New 52 arcs.

Nintendos messaging, new hardware architecture, naming, infrastructure and marketing is gonna push that. It'll basically be "fuck what you heard, forget about anything Nintendo pre-NX, the Sony fallout, the FFVII thing, the kiddy image, the loss of third parties, this isn't your daddies Nintendo."

Kinda like how Apple was a laughing stock until the iPod rebooted their reputation and success and lead to iPhone, iPad and iOS, along with Mac seeing a resurgence.
I wouldn't say forget everything. Stuff like the GameCube Adapter (for Smash purposes on the NX Console), Miiverse, & the Miis would likely carry over.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they will reveal much at a financial meeting. Maybe announcement of a time frame of further news. I hope they will have much more news about the consoles but we'll have to wait and see
Even that could induce some guru meditation, and one long thread (even rivalling the longest WUST, which I believe is at 19,998 posts).

I really hope the we get the console this year rather than the portable if it's going to be a staggered release. As dated as the 3DS is from a technical standpoint, this year is surprisingly strong (depending on who you ask of course) for such an aging platform. I could easily see Nintendo stetching the 3DS'S life into 2017 with Nintendo published localizations and just 2 or 3 first party titles. Zelda isn't going to keep Wii U sales from becoming even more abysmal going into 2017.

Somnid

A shuriken in the knee?

Bah. Gimme a wizard.

This would actually be a cool application of "cutting-edge chips." It wouldn't be generally powerful but could produce some effects that nothing else could. Too bad it flies in the face of sharing technology across devices.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it is a staggered release and the handheld is the first launched, what that makes of Zelda? Wii U version first this year and NX version next year?

Could the NX handheld run a Zelda Wii U port and still be affordable enough?

TheMoon

If it is a staggered release and the handheld is the first launched, what that makes of Zelda? Wii U version first this year and NX version next year?

Or maybe there just isn't an NX version of Zelda ;)

Neoxon

If the NX Handheld is within the ballpark of the Wii U, then running Zelda U shouldn't be a problem

ultrazilla

I'd be totally ok with this.

Nintendo can be bad asses if they want to be. I mean, I'm 43 and practically grew up with them. I like that their IP are "family friendly" and I love Nintendo, but folks like me and you fellow gamers know they can be "more adult" as well. In other words, get a Saint's Row game on NX, The GTA series on NX, etc.

A "re-boot" of sorts of their Image(at least towards "hardcore" gamers) I feel is in order.

Hopefully the NX will help usher that era in.

I doubt it, most of the people from the Wii and Wii U era are still at Nintendo. I don't see them radically changing.

I think they are going to try to get more games out by combining their handheld and console library. Then throw in another gimmick and hope it blows up.

udivision

Maybe it could be the "Oh crap we need a $70 price drop ASAP" kind of affordable. Just gotta wait a little...

Considering the problems that have plauged Nintendo so long, their position in the market, and what it would take to change things, what exactly inspires you to say this?

The Wii/DS era was closest to what you're describing, as they broke off and took their own direction in the industry that netted them great success.

Banned
I hope that rumor about the massive amount of units being produced is true so there isn't a shortage at launch.
If it is true that means Nintendo expects this thing to fly off of shelves, so maybe it has a very comfy price point? $199 for the handheld and $299 for the console?

Malus

That would be the biggest mistake Nintendo could make.

That's really underselling how badly they could potentially fuck up lol. If it launches with a great looking 3D Mario and Retro's game in the launch window it should gather plenty of hype. Maybe a cool new IP reveal at e3.

A bad price/hardware combo would be the main killer I'd think.

Eradicate

This combined with you being certain that it won't be unveiled before E3 doesn't inspire too much confidence about the launch in 2016. Or things will be again rushed.

Weren't the Wii U's specifications tinkered with up to the 11th hour as well? I seem to remember there being lots of changes leading up to the reveal, possibly even after the reveal! (I could be wrong about that though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom