• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
But their console market is precisely why it's a great idea to launch the handheld first. If they do in fact work together, and if they are truly something unique, then you can use the handheld as "bait" for the larger install base.
From a purely western logic, yes. However, Nintendo is perhaps still operating on a logic that puts Japan first. After the last decade, it might be their only real option. The way to shore up support for NX is to get Japanese companies on board. The way to do that, presumably is through putting out a successful successor to 3DS. The idea seems to be to then leverage that support on the home console in the west.

As that console grows (if it does) then maybe the games to grow the western market start to come in.

IDK. I could see the handheld going first for reasons like these.
I do think you could justify rolling out the handheld first, but I think it's a stretch.

1. they quasi-refreshed the 3DS recently with the n3DS
2. the 3DS isn't a dead man walking. Not yet.
3. the Wii U is. Nintendo essentially isn't in the home console space right now. That's the level of a failure the Wii U is.
4. they can fix #3 with a strong console launch...
5. and then gracefully replace the 3DS with a 2017 handheld refresh with something that looks like a shrink of the NX console hardware.

Just a guess. A lot depends on how close the NX "home" and the NX "mobile" really are.

Also, BC is an interesting question.

It depends on what chips they're willing to put into the box. 2016 is a mid Gen console, but 2017 is potentially a year's head start on next gen.

Also, if the hook is cross-compatability, an established handheld library leading into the console launch is more useful than the other way around.

If they're willing to do it right 2017 is a better play.
In regards to this, I just don't see Nintendo gunning for the PS4/XBone PC-lite market. If they're competitive horsepower-wise, I think it'll be entirely by accident.

SalvaPot

I think you mean Pokémon Gen 7, because there's no reason to believe that Game Freak would bring a sequel game (I.E. Pokémon Z) to hardware different than what the generation started on. I get the you were only making an example, but I'm just putting it out there.....again.

I mean, either way is fine for me, but I won't put it past Game Freak to pull a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue rescue team on us, even if it would be unprecedented for a main game. All for that 20th anniversary.

(But yeah, by Z I meant nothing, mostly "Pokemon NX")

MoonFrog

I do think you could justify rolling out the handheld first, but I think it's a stretch.

1. they quasi-refreshed the 3DS recently with the n3DS
2. the 3DS isn't a dead man walking. Not yet.
3. the Wii U is. Nintendo essentially isn't in the home console space right now. That's the level of a failure the Wii U is.
4. they can fix #3 with a strong console launch...
5. and then gracefully replace the 3DS with a 2017 handheld refresh with something that looks like a shrink of the NX console hardware.

Just a guess. A lot depends on how close the NX "home" and the NX "mobile" really are.

Also, BC is an interesting question.

In regards to this, I just don't see Nintendo gunning for the PS4/XBone PC-lite market. If they're competitive horsepower-wise, I think it'll be entirely by accident.

I mean after last years E3...as a home console gamer I'd hope Nintendo has NX home for launch this fall with a launch they are busy preparing. I think that is what they ideally need to be doing for the west.

That said: N3DS is older in Japan, a lot of the games we're getting on 3DS are already out in Japan, and the stuff about Japanese support above. I don't feel the pressing need to replace 3DS myself but given the threat of mobile it might be better to replace it before it gets to that point. Nintendo under Iwata tended to make a lot of Japanese oriented hardware decisions. NX might be another.

Maybe Nintendo is letting Wii U lie largely dead for the sake of a strong handheld launch, just like when they messed its launch fortifying 3DS after a soft launch. Don't much want that to be the case, but I think it is plausible, especially from Nintendo.

2016 (Fall) Home and 2017 (Spring) Handheld would be my preferred roll-out.

What's the current status of speculation on how the NX eShop/VC will relate to the Wii U and 3DS ones? I'd love to buy some classic games, but I don't want to buy anything now if I'll have to re-buy it in a year. What are the odds of the NX using purchase information from your NNID account to carry over VC purchases to their new infrastructure?

If there really is a Smash Bros. for NX Version with all DLC included plus more DLC on the line it would be a very smart move by Nintendo to make it a launch title.

It already looks marvelous and a bit of a power boost will only help it. It plays well and has tons of content...hell they could add somekind of mode which didnt make the cut, but even without that and just all DLC it would be worth full price or, if you already own the Wii U and 3DS version, you can get a discount.

I think Nintendo will take the crossbuy approach to the next level with NX...

If they don't play by the industry's rules, they won't get the third party content they need. In that case, they would need a Wii-level miracle concept to not have the NX be another Wii U.

Peru

If they don't play by the industry's rules, they won't get the third party content they need. In that case, they would need a Wii-level miracle concept to not have the NX be another Wii U.

They won't because at worst it'll be 'another' WiiU+3DS rolled into one, meaning potential software buyers (for nxH and nxC combined) will be a big enough market to support AAA 1st party titles and get hits. Ideally both the console and handheld NX will be more attractive than the Wii U because of the stronger software release flow and then they're already in a much better place than the Wii U.

3rd party support was not the main problem with Wiiu. Nintendo screwed up almost everything with Wiiu: name, price, unappealing gimmick, bad marketing, bad launch games and a general lack of Nintendo games.

A lot of room for improvement even without 3rd parties.

Litri

An here it starts, the NX info rollercoaster...

Nintendo will need to say more next week as investors have their expectations.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Been pondering on the following: if Macronix have been supplying the 3DS with mask ROM all this time, but they claim they expect mask ROM sales to really surge with the introduction of the NX, is it because:

a) they expect the NX hh and/or its attach rate to be huge
b) they expect the combined sales of 3DS and NX hh to be huge
c) they expect the NX and NX hh combined sales to be huge, and both devices use mask ROM
d) they expect the combined sales of 3DS, NX and NX hh to be huge, and all three devices use mask ROM

Griss

Xbox One's bad reveal had nothing to do with when it was revealed, only how it was revealed.

One can argue that if they'd had more time, they might have been able to better reverse the damage that their initial reveal did. A short reveal to release window is great when you get the reveal right. If you botch it, you've got little to no safety net.

But by and large, I agree with you of course.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So they actually never learn or even pay attention to what others successfully do. Cute.

That went well.

To be really honest, it's more what Microsoft did both in May and at E3 (I mean, the message they portrayed) than what they did, with the late May official reveal and the full unveiling at E3. I mean, all the TVTVTVTVTVTVTV, DRM, always online: THIS is what really affected One's sales so negatively, not the schedule they used. Also, most people here seems to forget, but the original DS was officially unveiled at E3 2004, and then released in November in US / December in Japan, Nintendo has a precedent too. And that was at a time where shorter announcement-to-release periods were much less fiesable than today.

Still, even if I say that, and even if Tansut got some major Smash details right...I feel they won't completely wait for E3. I can still see a teaser event of some sort, like PS4's presentation or One's TVTVTVTV event, before E3. E3 would be where there's the "proper" unveiling: PS4 had a pre-E3 event with some games, technical specs, and the controller, but the console itself was nowhere to be seen, while One had way too many extra-gaming functions and some games announcement...at E3, we got to see the consoles, much more games, launch prices, etc.etc. it's also my personal schedule preference, honestly.

However, we'll get an official announcement of sorts anyway before E3. Just like 3DS (march 23rd, 2010) and Wii U (April 25th, 2011). Wii U's official announcement was made in coincidence with Q4 FY2011's Financial Results, so...maybe...next week (not so high possibilities IMHO, but still).

nintendo3dspr.jpg

wii2r7db.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the handheld and the console share the library anything else but launching together doesn't make sense. Avoid double spending on marketing, maximise launch software sales, create faster a proper install basis that might tempt western 3rd parties to get in with some games.

I don't see no gain in separate launch, just increase costs and diminished impact.

If the handheld and the console share the library anything else but launching together doesn't make sense. Avoid double spending on marketing, maximise launch software sales, create faster a proper install basis that might tempt western 3rd parties to get in with some games.

I don't see no gain in separate launch, just increase costs and diminished impact.

I might be hard to pull off for Nintendo though.

Pokemaniac

What's the current status of speculation on how the NX eShop/VC will relate to the Wii U and 3DS ones? I'd love to buy some classic games, but I don't want to buy anything now if I'll have to re-buy it in a year. What are the odds of the NX using purchase information from your NNID account to carry over VC purchases to their new infrastructure?

Wii U VC will most likely carry over in some form. 3DS is a little more iffy, though the Game Boy/Game Boy Color stuff will likely come over. Worst case scenario would be another situation like the Wii->Wii U upgrade fees.

Xbox One's bad reveal had nothing to do with when it was revealed, only how it was revealed.

Ehh.

A May reveal was too close to E3, so they held off on showing many games at the actual reveal conference. This made the story the DRM above all else and their expectation that Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 would change the conversation was a dramatically bad assumption. That one month was both too long for them to wait and too short, especially because the arsonists were telling the firemen that they have to let it burn until at least after E3 before they start trying to put anything out.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a repeatable mistake, but I don't think it's entirely divorced from timing, either.

Nanashrew

Banned

Like a launch in the summer then the console in winter, or both on the same day? Gamecube and GBA launched in the same year, GBA in summer and GameCube in the winter.

Hermii

Like a launch in the summer then the console in winter, or both on the same day? Gamecube and GBA launched in the same year, GBA in summer and GameCube in the winter.
Both on the same day. Gba and gc were seen as separate platforms by Nintendo while the NX is seen as one platform.

There's no good way to launch two devices with a shared library and it would be hell for retailers, too. And that's just counting the ones that want to stock all the hardware.

It's very much a band-aid ripping situation.

Nanashrew

Banned
Both on the same day. Gba and gc were seen as separate platforms by Nintendo while the NX is seen as one platform.

Bundled together? I'm honestly not sure how it would work if it's not bundled even if seen as the same platform.

EDIT: What Shocking Alberto said too.

Peru

This isn't about the launch of the two systems as much as the start of a new era - where handhelds and consoles will be unified. "From now on, starting with this handheld unit, this is how we'll do it". They just need to inform that buying games will future proof you and that the next console will also play those games, will be part of the same ecosystem, etc.

Launching two hardware units on one day will be overwhelming to consumers and also Wii U was released after the 3DS and probably 'deserve' support for another year in Nintendo's mind

Rodin

"Nothing to do with when" isn't true. It's obvious that the biggest problem was in how it was revealed but if they did it sooner they would have had more time to fix things and do a better E3, which would have helped with the perception of the machine.

I don't care if Nintendo shows the console and extended gameplay of their launch titles at E3, but they need to start talking about it earlier in a dedicated event like everyone else does when they announce a new hardware. Part of the PS4 success was in how they handled the reveal, people were already super hyped before E3 thanks to the PS Meeting, where Sony revealed the specs, some tech demoes and had some third parties announcing their interest in the platform and teasing projects for E3. Timing and marketing were just perfect, and they are still benefitting from that.

I don't know if Nintendo would talk about specs this time, but they can show the new concept, talk about the interaction between the home and the handheld, show how account and cross buy/play/save work if it's there, show some real time demoes, maybe a new Zelda gameplay running on NX, and announce some third party projects headed to the platform to start a positive buzz about the new console. Waiting for E3 to do these things would be stupid and counterproductive for a number of reasons (possible leaks, less time to fix things if they receive a negative reaction, too many things to talk about in a short amount of time, dividing their media coverage with everyone else, people not invested in Nintendo not giving two shits about it because their attention is on the new announces for the console they already own, etc), they really need to nail the presentation because first impression matters A LOT, and risking to fail it because they still think it's 2005 where you reveal your console at E3 is just plain stupid and backward thinking. And this mentality is the first thing they need to leave behind if they want NX to succeed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Ideally on the same day. Maximum one month apart could work too.

There's no good way to launch two devices with a shared library and it would be hell for retailers, too. And that's just counting the ones that want to stock all the hardware.

Why? If it has a unified brand and shares the games, what's the issue? It's like having different SKUs/bundles.

This isn't about the launch of the two systems as much as the start of a new era - where handhelds and consoles will be unified. "From now on, starting with this handheld unit, this is how we'll do it". They just need to inform that buying games will future proof you and that the next console will also play those games, will be part of the same ecosystem, etc.

"Today is the start of a new era, you can play your games on both our handhelds and consoles, just not really today, today we just launch the handheld and wait 6 more months for the new era". That's no new era, it's just a normal handheld launch with a promise attached. We had plenty of promises with 3ds and Wii U launches too.

Ideally on the same day. Maximum one month apart could work too.

Why? If it has a unified brand and shares the games, what's the issue? It's like having different SKUs/bundles.

I'm not sure launching the same day is ideal. People are more likely to buy both if the releases have a few months between them, say 3-6 months

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure launching the same day is ideal. People are more likely to buy both if the releases have a few months between them, say 3-6 months

Nintendo doesn't need to sell both to the same people at launch. But what Nintendo needs it's a healthy launch, with a big enough install basis (be it handheld or console).

Having both launch simultaneously will help also with the regional differences. Japan will buy more handhelds, West will buy more consoles.

That will drive the software sales.

sinxtanx

it wouldn't be in Nintendo's immediate interest to sell both a handheld and a console to every consumer anymore, just to get any device sold for any one consumer, and then blast them with games.

shelf space could get weird if one is more popular than the other leaving a pile of brothers behind

otoh, retailers could say "oh, you wanted the NX-X? That's out of stock, but we have the NX-Y still..."

The_Lump

Banned
Nope. Failing consoles last 4 years. Happened with GameCube.

Wut? Wii was released 5 years after GC (2001 - 2006)

And anyway, the fact that it's failing would mean it does not fit a standard. You don't have an industry standard for failure.

Nintendo's standard console lifespan is ~5 years (except for Wii). WiiU might fall short of that by a year, if it comes out in 2016.

Turrican3

The Wii got a pretty good amount of GameCube ports.

Aside from the Twilight Princess thing (which is more comparable to a cross-gen launch IMO), there was Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, both Pikmins, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Chibi-Robo, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Even Capcom ported over some Resident Evil games.
Many of the games you cite are hardly straight GC ports, but feature improved controls/mechanics thanks to the wiimote (Pikmin, Metroid Prime, RE4, etc.)
Unless there's an equivalent "gimmick" in NX that can actually, significantly improve games I'd rather keep WiiU remasters/ports to a minimum, leaving that treatment to the few (?) games where it could actually make sense, Smash is arguably one of those.

Nintendo needs (more) people to buy either, not necessarily both.

By simultaneously launching the home and the handheld - that is, assuming they actually share most or the entire software lineup, arguably even the physical media - I believe they can better cement the idea of a platform.
Not to mention that there are people who are definitely not into handhelds and viceversa, so why not give an option to your customers?

maxcriden

Zelda U for NX 1080p 60 fps pls

I would be astonished if we say a 60 fps Zelda console game. I'd just caution you to temper your expectations on that front. I'm expecting 720/30 on Wii U and hopefully at least 900/30 on NX if we do get a port as I expect to. From what I remember reading previously, 30 fps is not a priority for the Zelda team on consoles and it was only on handhelds that they were interested in pursuing this, and even then on a case-by-case basis.

I think you mean Pokémon Gen 7, because there's no reason to believe that Game Freak would bring a sequel game (I.E. Pokémon Z) to hardware different than what the generation started on. I get the you were only making an example, but I'm just putting it out there.....again.

Pokemon Gold/Silver went from compatible with the OG gameboy to gameboy colour only on Pokemon Crystal.

Of course that was a longgg time ago and I wouldn't ever assume it's happening again.

maxcriden

Well, based on the Macronix business, I'm really starting to think a new handheld is what we have in store for us this year. I think I'm pretty much done with handheld gaming unless there's some kind of particularly special hook. I'm betting we'll have to wait for 2017 to see the true Wii U successor.

Unless things really have gotten crazy and the console will use cartridges of course, but I just have a very hard time believing it.

Did this tweet indicate that the console would shop Q2 2017? Just wasn't sure I followed it correctly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's nothing pointing out a 2017 release for console other than David Gibson's assumption. Everything else is info about handheld which doesn't exclude simultaneous console release.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it could be the TurboExpress / Sega Nomad done right. No shitty battery life for starters.

PtM

Banned
19. The Japan Times reported that Sharp is underway with free-form screens and Nintendo is its first customer, and it's set to be manufactured in 2016. One source says Nintendo is looking to make a hole in the center of a screen with it. (Source)
So Nintendo are going to turn up the petting in FE?
Sorry.

ozfunghi

I don't really see it that way. If the library IS in fact shared, that's one less thing to worry about for the retailer. The hardware is not really any more of of a problem than say a console being launched with (as has been said) different SKU's (which given the shared library, is how you could look at it) or like if the WiiU had in fact had Gamepads seperately on the shelves. Or any other console with extra controllers etc.

Launching them alongside eachother, really makes the point of the shared library much stronger, than launching them apart (and especially if the portable comes first... because then the home console will be like a home console that plays portable games, and ideally you need the perception the other way around).

You can promote two devices at the same time (on the same ads, the same store signs etc) for twice as long.

Eradicate

I am actually getting hyped at the idea of a console that uses cartridges. However, I still want to know how Nintendo Account is going to work with NX and if that's going to push digital purchases via discounts and rewards (like Wii U's digital deluxe promotion) or if it will also recognize physical media (like Club Nintendo).

Actually, I would expect Nintendo Account to be one of the topics that will be allowed for discussion at the next investors meeting.

I agree with you. Seeing how the Nintendo Account ties in will be an interesting piece. I think that Nintendo will talk about it there, as will DeNA (at least somewhat) the following Friday.

Purely guessing, but with everything still pointing towards the Nintendo Account rolling out in a couple months (before NX), I would think/hope that those purchases made now will carry over. It was also suggested there could be a slight "upgrade" fee if you wanted extra features, and that's possible too. But, it would seem that your purchases should stay attached on an account basis from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom