• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

It's extremely unlikely Nintendo has the resources to corral two simultaneous launches (manufacturing, shipping etc) as well as get that space from retailers at the same time. Let's take the imagination hats off and let it soak in that a global launch of even one product in the same month probably isn't happening (you probably forgot this is the reality of almost all devices). If there's multiple devices then you'd expect it to get staggered by at least half a year so everyone can have enough space to get it done.

Banned
There's no good way to launch two devices with a shared library and it would be hell for retailers, too. And that's just counting the ones that want to stock all the hardware.

It's very much a band-aid ripping situation.
Yeah they'll probably split them a few months apart. Like Apple does with iPhone and iPad.

Neoxon

Yeah they'll probably split them a few months apart. Like Apple does with iPhone and iPad.
I was actually gonna bring that up, but I was on my phone until recently. Apple staggers their iPhone & iPad releases by a few months, & I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo did something similar.

Neoxon

Guys do u know if the NX will play Wii U games?
I think you mean if the NX Console will play Wii U games, & I doubt it. PowerPC is both a dying breed & not handheld-friendly, so I don't think Nintendo will opt for that. Not to mention that Panasonic, the guys who made the disc drives & discs for Nintendo from the GameCube to the Wii U, aren't involved with the manufacturing of any of the NX devices (indicating that Nintendo will be going back to cartridges, which would make sense since there's the NX Handheld to consider). So yeah, don't get your hopes up.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was actually gonna bring that up, but I was on my phone until recently. Apple staggers their iPhone & iPad releases by a few months, & I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo did something similar.

That would make sense if Console version wouldn't be out until mid-2017. With Smash/Bandai Namco rumor, they might have more time with Smash Port. It's hard to tell right now. *shrugs*

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's extremely unlikely Nintendo has the resources to corral two simultaneous launches (manufacturing, shipping etc) as well as get that space from retailers at the same time. Let's take the imagination hats off and let it soak in that a global launch of even one product in the same month probably isn't happening (you probably forgot this is the reality of almost all devices). If there's multiple devices then you'd expect it to get staggered by at least half a year so everyone can have enough space to get it done.

Do you think that NX handheld+console will sell better in the first months than PS4 or Wii?

Today's Nintendo is not able to handle what 2006 Nintendo did?

They produced 10 million Wii Us for launch.

DarkFlame

Banned
I think you mean if the NX Console will play Wii U games, & I doubt it. PowerPC is both a dying breed & not handheld-friendly, so I don't think Nintendo will opt for that. Not to mention that Panasonic, the guys who made the disc drives & discs for Nintendo from the GameCube to the Wii U, aren't involved with the manufacturing of any of the NX devices (indicating that Nintendo will be going back to cartridges, which would make sense since there's the NX Handheld to consider). So yeah, don't get your hopes up.

I don't think they are mad enough to return to cartridges for a home console.For the handheld I don't really mind to be honest.

The fact that they changed company for creating discs might have an impact on compatibility with previous console games indeed :/

Peru

Do you think that NX handheld+console will sell better in the first months than PS4 or Wii?

Launching two devices is not the same as launching the same amount of one.

maxcriden

That's....ambitious. Smash will be there day one, regardless of which SKU launches. As much as I want the console I think the handheld will launch first worldwide and the console will come out March 2017. Or, the west gets the console and the east gets the handheld. I don't think we will get our hands on any SKU of the NX until Black Friday 2016.

Has Nintendo ever launched a system Black Friday? I was expecting 1-2 weeks beforehand to not have to compete as much with other products and their BF sale. I thought that was their typical timeframe.

The thirst is so real. Let's hope today's NX news is as leaky as Yoshi's mouth.

Man, I think the news published recently could keep us busy in speculation for a while. I hope Nintendo will talk more about NX in the coming investor meeting, at least releasing a schedule for future info. The thirst is real, and a schedule may help make our life easier (or more difficult depends on how you look at it).

Taker666

Could we perhaps see an NX handheld launch in Japan this year...

...with an NX console launching in the west this year?

Looking back to the May Investor meeting, Iwata said-

When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them “a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept” by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country.

thefro

Thanks for that Iwata quote... that's the other one I remember reading and was looking for. The "playing environments that different by country" really points to multiple SKUs and not just a hybrid, and also that "power efficient, small and quiet" may not be a priority for the home console SKU since it will be built for the overseas market most likely.

Not to mention that Panasonic, the guys who made the disc drives & discs for Nintendo from the GameCube to the Wii U, aren't involved with the manufacturing of any of the NX devices (indicating that Nintendo will be going back to cartridges, which would make sense since there's the NX Handheld to consider). So yeah, don't get your hopes up.

Digitimes never reported a breakdown of all the components of the NX and who supplied them, just some of the Chinese/Taiwanese suppliers.

Panasonic probably isn't going to be leaking information to them, so we can't say whether they're providing components for one of the NX SKUs or not yet.

Neoxon

I don't think they are mad enough to return to cartridges for a home console.For the handheld I don't really mind to be honest.

The fact that they changed company for creating discs might have an impact on compatibility with previous console games indeed :/
It would make sense, especially i they want the games between the handheld & the console to be shared. Kinda hard to do that if the two form factors use two different physical mediums. Not to mention that the guys who make the 3DS cartridges was mentioned amongst the manufacturers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Hmm, that would make more sense from an install base point of view than having handheld launch first everywhere.

Launching two devices is not the same as launching the same amount of one.

I doubt they would need the same amount in today's market.

ar4757

The 3ds still sold way more than the Wii U in the US, no?

People just don't buy Nintendo consoles like they used to. I think launching the handheld worldwide will help them establish Japanese third party support while Western publishers say screw you Nintendo. Then they can launch the console worldwide and people will buy it because it has games to play. Then Western publishers will have to jump on the hype train. That's my theory.

maxcriden

There's no good way to launch two devices with a shared library and it would be hell for retailers, too. And that's just counting the ones that want to stock all the hardware.

It's very much a band-aid ripping situation.

Given that, are you expecting them to just rip off that band-aid and launch both simultaneously?

Neoxon

Digitimes never reported a breakdown of all the components of the NX and who supplied them, just some of the Chinese/Taiwanese suppliers.

Panasonic probably isn't going to be leaking information to them, so we can't say whether they're providing components for one of the NX SKUs or not yet.
Even then, it still wouldn't make sense to have a platform that shares most of its games between form factors release two of the same game in stores. It'd just be counter-intuitive.

Somnid

I'm not sure if NX (assuming 2 devices) can outsell a PS4 or Wii but I think they will try. Wii in particular would have sold way more but was severely stock constrained. This is pretty typical even for less-than-stellar launches. Having two devices can also be a strain on consumers who have finite dollars so it's not clear multiple devices will make considerably more sales. They'll probably sell as many as they can make.

Today's Nintendo isn't significantly bigger than 2006 Nintendo. But more importantly there's all sorts of tablets, wearables, phones and computers that go through those production lines. Nintendo doesn't have unlimited access to those no matter how big they are so it's likely they'll need all of their lines producing the same thing to meet demand (it's also more efficient this way).

While it would be interesting if every Wii U today was made in the initial run, that's almost certainly not true but if you believe it, I'd ask for a source.

Neoxon

A few months back, I would have agreed with you. Hell, I even suggested this. But considering that Nintendo's putting out more Wii U games from their developers than 3DS games (sans late localizations), I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld dropped first worldwide.

maxcriden

To be really honest, it's more what Microsoft did both in May and at E3 (I mean, the message they portrayed) than what they did, with the late May official reveal and the full unveiling at E3. I mean, all the TVTVTVTVTVTVTV, DRM, always online: THIS is what really affected One's sales so negatively, not the schedule they used. Also, most people here seems to forget, but the original DS was officially unveiled at E3 2004, and then released in November in US / December in Japan, Nintendo has a precedent too. And that was at a time where shorter announcement-to-release periods were much less fiesable than today.

Still, even if I say that, and even if Tansut got some major Smash details right...I feel they won't completely wait for E3. I can still see a teaser event of some sort, like PS4's presentation or One's TVTVTVTV event, before E3. E3 would be where there's the "proper" unveiling: PS4 had a pre-E3 event with some games, technical specs, and the controller, but the console itself was nowhere to be seen, while One had way too many extra-gaming functions and some games announcement...at E3, we got to see the consoles, much more games, launch prices, etc.etc. it's also my personal schedule preference, honestly.

However, we'll get an official announcement of sorts anyway before E3. Just like 3DS (march 23rd, 2010) and Wii U (April 25th, 2011). Wii U's official announcement was made in coincidence with Q4 FY2011's Financial Results, so...maybe...next week (not so high possibilities IMHO, but still).

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but doesn't the evidence at the end indicate the reveal would come in two months rather than next week?

Vinland

Banned
Even then, it still wouldn't make sense to have a platform that shares most of its games between form factors release two of the same game in stores. It'd just be counter-intuitive.

But the disc drive in the Wii U is a single layer Blue Ray. That may be media constrained not drive constrained. So it may not matter about Panasonic one way or the other if the console has a optical drive. As for content sharing, or purchasing, what is to say they don't just sell games as dlc codes in game specific amiibos?

Neoxon

But the disc drive in the Wii U is a single layer Blue Ray. That may be media constrained not drive constrained. So it may not matter about Panasonic one way or the other if the console has a optical drive. As for content sharing, or purchasing, what is to say they don't just sell games as dlc codes in game specific amiibos?
Because requiring online to get games with no means of purchasing said games offline wouldn't particularly end well for Nintendo (see Microsoft in 2013). The world isn't ready for a digital-only dedicated gaming system (that isn't just a variant of one with a means of playing physical copies).

Taker666

A few months back, I would have agreed with you. Hell, I even suggested this. But considering that Nintendo's putting out more Wii U games from their developers than 3DS games (sans late localizations), I wouldn't be shocked if the NX Handheld dropped first worldwide.

I wouldn't be shocked either...

..but if Zelda Wii U is also coming to NX...I could see why they might think it would be a strong way to launch their new home console in the west.

Banned
Has Nintendo ever launched a system Black Friday? I was expecting 1-2 weeks beforehand to not have to compete as much with other products and their BF sale. I thought that was their typical timeframe.
GameCube and Wii and Wii U were the third Sunday of each November. Black Friday is usually the same time frame.

I bet the NX handheld or console, whichever launches first, will launch the third Sunday of November 2016. Which is November 20th, 2016.

maxcriden

GameCube and Wii and Wii U were the third Sunday of each November. Black Friday is usually the same time frame.

I bet the NX handheld or console, whichever launches first, will launch the third Sunday of November 2016. Which is November 20th, 2016.

GCN - 11/18/01, BF - 11/23/01
Wii - 11/19/06, BF - 11/24/06
Wii U - 11/18/12, BF - 11/23/12

Oddly, I remembered GCN as launching ~1 week earlier. I remember standing in line for it. I guess that's the last console I stood in line for. It wasn't a long line. It was at a Target in Buffalo, NY. I got Rogue Leader II which wasn't my thing at all, and LM which was fun but super short. So I felt a slight sinking feeling of disappointment. I was super into SSBM soon after, though. And WW and PMTTYD more than justified the console for me.

Anyway, my point was solely that BF is at least ~1 week after launch. I just meant I didn't expect a system to launch the actual BF weekend. BF helps with hype but I can see why they don't usually launch that same weekend with all the other hype going on, and especially at a time like this where we'll see...$200 PS/X systems? We saw $250 last year. So they don't want to directly go up against that any more than they already will be.

I mean, personally I doubt it, but yeah it's clear they've designed this whole platform around having a unified software environment but addressing the completely different popular paradigms around the world.

So like every console reveal then

Basically

Banned
Yeah I've said it will probably launch both SKU's a few months apart. If they both launch in 2016 then the handheld needs to be released September and the console in November. But that would be a retail nightmare
Guys do u know if the NX will play Wii U games?
We don't know. But based on patents and the smash coming to NX rumor, and using some logic, it won't. The architecture of the Wii U is old and is going to be abandoned completely. The NX will be a fresh start with modern architectures that are similar to PC, PS4 and XB1.

I've said this a few times.

Japan gets the handheld in November and we get the console.

Than in March we get the handheld and they get the console.
GCN - 11/18/01, BF - 11/23/01
Wii - 11/19/06, BF - 11/24/06
Wii U - 11/18/12, BF - 11/23/12

Oddly, I remembered GCN as launching ~1 week earlier. I remember standing in line for it. I guess that's the last console I stood in line for. It wasn't a long line. It was at a Target in Buffalo, NY. I got Rogue Leader II which wasn't my thing at all, and LM which was fun but super short. So I felt a slight sinking feeling of disappointment. I was super into SSBM soon after, though. And WW and PMTTYD more than justified the console for me.

Anyway, my point was solely that BF is at least ~1 week after launch. I just meant I didn't expect a system to launch the actual BF weekend. BF helps with hype but I can see why they don't usually launch that same weekend with all the other hype going on, and especially at a time like this where we'll see...$200 PS/X systems? We saw $250 last year. So they don't want to directly go up against that any more than they already will be.
Thanks for this. So it's usually the weekend before Black Friday. Close enough lol.

Neoxon

We don't know. But based on patents and the smash coming to NX rumor, and using some logic, it won't. The architecture of the Wii U is old and is going to be abandoned completely. The NX will be a fresh start with modern architectures that are similar to PC, PS4 and XB1.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for x86, mainly because of the NX Handheld (x86 isn't exactly the best architecture for small handhelds). ARM is probably more likely to be the architecture for the NX Platform across the board.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;193652279 said:
There was no comment regarding NX in the Q3 2016 Electronic Arts Earnings Call.

If I've heard correctly, there was no question either about NX. Most of them were about Star Wars / digital revenue / digital share of overall sales of retail titles.

Banned
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but doesn't the evidence at the end indicate the reveal would come in two months rather than next week?
Yeah that's a mistake on his part. The precedent for Nintendo is to talk about it in April but not actually reveal it until E3. But they usually do that 18 months before release and this thing is coming out in 2016.

Also, this is the first console launch where Nintendo has Nintendo directs established and doesn't do E3 press conferences. So I would imagine a public Nintendo only event will be announced at the financial briefing on February 2nd, much like Sony's PS4 reveal in February 2013. It will probably be in April and won't talk about price but will talk about the new gimmicks, sku's, OS features, possibly specs, and some games being made for it.

Then at E3 it'll be the full blowout. Price, release dates, free online, account system, you can play used games, launch day titles, launch window titles, unprecedented etc.

Banned
I wouldn't get your hopes up for x86, mainly because of the NX Handheld (x86 isn't exactly the best architecture for small handhelds). ARM is probably more likely to be the architecture for the NX Platform across the board.
ARM is great and it will most likely be that. But it will be similar to the x86 in porting over code and such. Either way PowerPC is RIP in peace. which means no hardware backwards compatibility.

Kaisos

It's interesting to me how many people actively cheer on the idea of not having backwards compatibility. From the standpoint of a consumer, isn't it actively better to be able to get rid of your old machines, but not the games you played on them (and given the size of most people's backlogs, are probably still playing)? I know a few people personally who have skipped out on a PS4 thus far simply because they still have PS3 games to play through...

Like, obviously from the manufacturer's point of view, BC is an unnecessary expense, but consider in this case that an NX kept aloft early on mostly by ports of WiiU games (like everyone seems to want) is just essentially asking current WiiU owners (the only people absolutely guaranteed to buy an NX in the first place) to re-buy games they already own. That's... pretty unkind to the only people who were actually willing to continue supporting a dead-on-arrival console.

Neoxon

ARM is great and it will most likely be that. But it will be similar to the x86 in porting over code and such. Either way PowerPC is RIP in peace. which means no hardware backwards compatibility.
Makes sense. But just making sure, does using an ARM architecture limit your options in terms of what GPUs Nintendo has access to for the NX Console?

It's interesting to me how many people actively cheer on the idea of not having backwards compatibility. From the standpoint of a consumer, isn't it actively better to be able to get rid of your old machines, but not the games you played on them (and given the size of most people's backlogs, are probably still playing)? I know a few people personally who have skipped out on a PS4 thus far simply because they still have PS3 games to play through...

Like, obviously from the manufacturer's point of view, BC is an unnecessary expense, but consider in this case that an NX kept aloft early on mostly by ports of WiiU games (like everyone seems to want) is just essentially asking current WiiU owners (the only people absolutely guaranteed to buy an NX in the first place) to re-buy games they already own. That's... pretty unkind to the only people who were actually willing to continue supporting a dead-on-arrival console.
The issue with Wii U BC on the NX Console is that not only would it require the PowerPC architecture (which is pretty much dead & can't be used on handhelds), but it'd require the NX Console to have an optical drive. And given the recent rumors of the 3DS cartridge manufacturer working on the NX Platform, Nintendo may be moving towards cartridges across the board for the NX Platform & its devices. So yeah, don't get your hopes up for Wii U BC on the NX Console. Maybe we could see 3DS BC (as per the ARM architecture), but it'd require the NX Handheld to have two screens.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

BC should persevere as long as the tech required can be incrementally upgraded. As soon as that becomes a burden, BC should be let go. For real-life examples of how wrong things can go with 'ever-lasting BC', see x86 (hint: it has costed intel a market).

Kaisos

The issue with Wii U BC on the NX Console is that not only would it require the PowerPC architecture (which is pretty much dead & can't be used on handhelds), but it'd require the NX Console to have an optical drive. And given the recent rumors of the 3DS cartridge manufacturer working on the NX Platform, Nintendo may be moving towards cartridges across the board for the NX Platform & its devices. So yeah, don't get your hopes up for Wii U BC on the NX Console. Maybe we could see 3DS BC (as per the ARM architecture), but it'd require the NX Handheld to have two screens.

I mean, I know -why- the NX probably won't be backwards compatible, I just find it a little odd that people are... celebrating it, I guess?

bachikarn

I mean, I know -why- the NX probably won't be backwards compatible, I just find it a little odd that people are... celebrating it, I guess?

I think cos it was reported one of the reasons the Wii U was weak is cos the requirement to make it backwards compatible. I don't remember the details, but it either forced them I to an older architecture that was worse despite not bing cheaper, or forced them use budget on chips to enable it (instead of on other stuff that would have made it more powerful)

Neoxon

I guess it's because it allows Nintendo to have a clean break from the Wii U & 3DS to focus on making the NX devices as powerful as possible without breaking the bank. Granted, they'll likely use ARM, the architecture used in Nintendo's handhelds, but the possibility of Nintendo doing away with the dual screens would constitute for the ditching of the DS brand (not to mention that it wouldn't fit very well in the name of the NX Console).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom