• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
What time is the briefing? Is it today or tomorrow? Is there a thread already? Where is it?! WHERE AM I?!?!
You're in an alternate timeline where nintendo used CDs on the N64, got FFVII and won the console war for good.

Yamauchi transferred his consciousness into an AI and now runs the world.

maxcriden

And the general releases of their financials are tonight? Like, the first day it's the financials, then the following day is the new info and whatnot no? Isn't that how it always has been?

Edit: I guess Rosti confirms that as a yes.

I'm gonna paraphrase my earlier quote. 😊

Earnings come out tonight at or after 1 AM EST. That's 3 PM Tuesday JST.

Briefing is 8 PM tomorrow night EST, that's Wednesday at 10 AM JST.

AmyS

Hopefully once we see games running on the NX handheld (by E3 no doubt) the end result will show significantly better visuals than Vita, at the same resolution (540p).

On the other hand, with the 3DS even though it was definitely more powerful than the PSP (3DS PICA 200 GPU does more polygons/sec and has better graphic features than
Sony's in house GPU in PSP) the 3DS was lower resolution.

PSP - 480 x 272 vs 3DS - 400 x 240 [not taking into account 3D effect, just pixel resolution] Please correct if not accurate.

So I wouldn't be totally surprised if NX hh was just 480p.

I'm hoping for just the tiniest tidbit of NX news at this point. Even another update from Takeda on how the development integration has been going. But I think the reaction after tomorrow will be more like, "Fucking Miitomo!"

Banned
I'm hoping for just the tiniest tidbit of NX news at this point. Even another update from Takeda on how the development integration has been going. But I think the reaction after tomorrow will be more like, "Fucking Miitomo!"
I'm so convinced they're just gonna say we'll talk about NX at a later time.

AmyS:
It's accurate, there's also the bottom screen, but that's often not doing anything intensive.

Mario Kart map screen updates at 15fps or something, spread out to optimise the top screen at stereo 60fps.

AmyS

The safest bet on what will be said:

"Our work on NX is progressing and I hope to be able to share some details with you at some point later this year".

lol.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

"Our work on NX is progressing and I hope to be able to share some details with you at some point later this year".

lol.
Dammit Amy, cover your spoilers!

Pif

Banned
I've emailed a Nintendo representative masquerading as a concerned father who's hesitant about spending money on 3DS games now if they can't play on the next upcoming portable Nintendo X.

Let's see if a clueless employee spills some beans.
I was bored and you guys have been posting pregancy scanner machines and whatnot

Malus

At this point I'm gonna be so sad if they don't keep the name "NX". Sounds rad and it doesn't create any kind of brand confusion.

Nintendo NX. Aw yis.

That's just because you've yet to experience the glory of its real title, soon to be revealed.

I want a real life Gamesphere.

maxcriden

I've emailed a Nintendo representative masquerading as a concerned father who's hesitant about spending money on 3DS games now if they can't play on the next upcoming portable Nintendo X.

Let's see if a clueless employee spills some beans.
I was bored and you guys have been posting pregancy scanner machines and whatnot

Amazing. I'm going to need some backstory. You know, about the characer you created for yourself. Honestly we'd probably have a bit better luck with a random NCL employee if anything. They're likelier to know something.

lol.

I feel like much of the silence is Kimishima being hesitant to stray too far from the course Iwata laid out. Almost everything he has said has been reiterating previous Iwata quotes. Perhaps this year we will see more of his unique leadership style. I look forward to it.

Pif

Banned
Amazing. I'm going to need some backstory. You know, about the characer you created for yourself. Honestly we'd probably have a bit better luck with a random NCL employee if anything. They're likelier to know something.
I just made it short and quick, as if I don't know that the new portable is a secret and I don't want to spend too much money on Junior's stupid little games.

Will post a screenshot if something worthy comes out of it.

HeySeuss

lol.

Add in some vague blue ocean or third pillar speak and that's about all we're going to get.

NX certainly does sound like the kind of thing people have been wanting to be able to call a Nintendo platform for years, but instead they go with things that sound like bodily excretions and ambulance sirens

My prediction: The NX will be renamed the Nintendo Hot Carl

maxcriden

I just made it short and quick, as if I don't know that the new portable is a secret and I don't want to spend too much money on Junior's stupid little games.

Will post a screenshot if something worthy comes out of it.

Oh, I didn't think you got into your whole life's story with the random Nintendo employee. Just figured you had a compelling back story in mind in case he wants to be BFFs and you needed to go deeper undercover. 😆

maxcriden

Add in some vague blue ocean or third pillar speak and that's about all we're going to get.

The leapfrog image makes me laugh to myself whenever I think of it. I hope we get something similarly funny.
(Sincerely. That pic is too funny.)

Can someone convert all these times to GMT, I am getting confused.

You're going to be just waking up tomorrow when earnings come out and then sleeping tomorrow night when the briefing happens.

Thraktor

So, I'm keeping expectations seriously low for the briefing. That way I can be really happy if some low yield kiloton bombs are dropped. Not expecting any megatonage!

Kiloton if we're lucky. I'm expecting some faulty firecrackers that don't go off properly.

blu

Ok, gaf, I've come to the slow realization that desperate times need desperate measures.

We need a single gaffer to marry a nintendo employee. Sort of Mitnick-style.

maxcriden

Ok, gaf, I've come to the slow realization that desperate times need desperate measures.

We need a singe gaffer to marry a nintendo employee. Sort of Mitnick-style.

I don't know what a singe GAFer is or what Minick is but I nominate HoL. He's dedicated himself to the NX info cause. I have it on good authority he resembles a very handsome human version of Funky Kong.

NP. I don't know GMT off the top of my head to give exact times but that should be pretty accurate.

I wouldn't mind if they played on nostalgia and bring back the Gameboy name for the handheld and maybe Famicom/NES-something for the console.

blu

I don't know what a singe GAFer is or what Minick is but I nominate HoL. He's dedicated himself to the NX info cause. I have it on good authority he resembles a very handsome human version of Funky Kong.
'A single, non-dyslexic gaffer.' would be the whole title. But the name is Mitnick. Read up on it when you have time ; )

I like this. Nintendo turd cutter.

No gameboy. Nor gamekid. It would be in poor taste.

Portable could be called the Hot Boy

During the earnings announcement, Lil Wayne will explode through a wall in a Luigi costume holding the prototype

Rosti will be injured by flying sheetrock and will have to turn over his neogaf account to Serkan Toto, who will promptly tell all of us the release date in 7 languages

Then dancing girls dressed like Zero Suit Samus will come out and walk Lil Wayne to the helipad where he will take off using the new Nintendo Hot Carl, a combination console and personal Jet Pack

Portable could be called the Hot Boy

During the earnings announcement, Lil Wayne will explode through a wall in a Luigi costume holding the prototype

Rosti will be injured by flying sheetrock and will have to turn over his neogaf account to Serkan Toto, who will promptly tell all of us the release date in 7 languages

Then dancing girls dressed like Zero Suit Samus will come out and walk Lil Wayne to the helipad where he will take off using the new Nintendo Hot Carl, a combination console and personal Jet Pack

You forgot about juvenile dressed as mario rapping back that ass up with rosalina and princess peach twerking.

Hearing the name of the system is perhaps the thing I'm most excited about. Well, maybe not the most but it's up there. And of course, there's no way we'll hear it tomorrow.

Also, I highly doubt it will be NX. Unless maybe it's pronounced "N-X" as in "Nintendo cross," as in cross-platform gaming. Though it scathes me to pronounce an X as "cross," I think there's a certain amount of cleverness to it.

Rodin

Hopefully once we see games running on the NX handheld (by E3 no doubt) the end result will show significantly better visuals than Vita, at the same resolution (540p).

On the other hand, with the 3DS even though it was definitely more powerful than the PSP (3DS PICA 200 GPU does more polygons/sec and has better graphic features than
Sony's in house GPU in PSP) the 3DS was lower resolution.

PSP - 480 x 272 vs 3DS - 400 x 240 [not taking into account 3D effect, just pixel resolution] Please correct if not accurate.

So I wouldn't be totally surprised if NX hh was just 480p.

What they did in the past doesn't mean absolutely anything today. Different times, different context, different everything.

Matt's post is a way better indication of what the handheld res will be, and while he obviously didn't say any number it was pretty clear that the screen will be above 480p. 540p is an educated guess for many reasons, but who knows if it's really that.

maxcriden

Hearing the name of the system is perhaps the thing I'm most excited about. Well, maybe not the most but it's up there. And of course, there's no way we'll hear it tomorrow.

Also, I highly doubt it will be NX. Unless maybe it's pronounced "N-X" as in "Nintendo cross," as in cross-platform gaming. Though it scathes me to pronounce an X as "cross," I think there's a certain amount of cleverness to it.

You're right. It won't be the NX. They've never used a codename as a final name before and I think NX is a bit too much of a generic-sounding acronym for a product, for those not heavily into gaming as we are. I am really curious what it will be, though, and if there will be a shared naming convention across both systems.

AmyS

I wouldn't mind if they played on nostalgia and bring back the Gameboy name for the handheld and maybe Famicom/NES-something for the console.

No gameboy. Nor gamekid. It would be in poor taste.

I really liked the name 'Atlantis' which was Nintendo's project name for GBA's predecessor in the mid 90s.

S0OEhmi.jpg

chITxBd.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance#.22Project_Atlantis.22
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/25/gdc09-dsi-architect-reveals-unreleased-nintendo-handhelds/
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8984425

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom