• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles 2 |OT| of WKC 1+1

Pyrrhus said:
My wife and I both like this game in single player and we both played the original WKC 1 in multiplayer on our own profiles. But I think I heard something about only getting one online pass with WKC2. Does this mean only one of us will be able to go online unless we pay a ridiculous fee to buy a second online pass?
Yeah, basically the online code that comes in the box can only be activated once and is tied to a single PSN account. I think it costs around $10 in the US for an extra pass. However I do believe you can use multiple characters on the same account, although the personal in-game profile page will be update to the character most recently played each time.

Ashodin

PICS PICS PICS

4s2keo9o7.jpg

ovtfg4zux.jpg

MOAR later. Pics!

I really wanted to beat this game but I can't do it anymore. I hate how they are constantly forcing giant battles on you and if you can't transform into a knight they take too long to beat. Then the running around in circles to advance the story is annoying. Maybe I might come back to it later on but right now I don't have the patience for it.

/rant

Maxrpg said:
PICS PICS PICS

4s2keo9o7.jpg

MOAR later. Pics!
I'm looking at this on a cell phone, but I honestly thought this was concept art for a second.

A friend at work tells me that part 1 comes with the sequel on the same disc. Is this true? Any catches to know about?

Cornbread78

Here's another question as I was unable to dig into this over the weekend.

Can I use my NG+ game save and play through WKC1 again before I start II? or Do I only have an option to play through 1 again from scratch and then play WKCII?

Seventy5

Cornbread78 said:
Here's another question as I was unable to dig into this over the weekend.

Can I use my NG+ game save and play through WKC1 again before I start II? or Do I only have an option to play through 1 again from scratch and then play WKCII?
Yes you can continue your new game+, or you can start with that character in WKCII. There really isn't any benefit to continuing your new game+ though, you get dropped back to lvl 35 when you start WKCII, and if you're trying to grind quests from WKC, you get far more Giuld EXP from doing the quests in WKC2. Actually, it just takes FAR less GP to move up in guild ranks in 2. They may have adjusted it in WKC also, but I haven't seen it.

Cornbread78

Seventy5 said:
Yes you can continue your new game+, or you can start with that character in WKCII. There really isn't any benefit to continuing your new game+ though, you get dropped back to lvl 35 when you start WKCII, and if you're trying to grind quests from WKC, you get far more Giuld EXP from doing the quests in WKC2. Actually, it just takes FAR less GP to move up in guild ranks in 2. They may have adjusted it in WKC also, but I haven't seen it.

Yeah, but there are a couple trophies that I could get by playing through a 2nd time under a NG+, but I want to see how playign through it again with teh new battle mechanics and get back into the story again. I hope it is an option because the 2nd playthrough should only take a few hours with no grind as enemies should die in 1 swing for the most part.

Lain

Looks like this coming PSN update for Europe will carry the first batch of DLC (the one US received last week), if the comment in the last week update is to be believed. After waiting so long, maybe I'll finally be able to get that sweet hair style!

Cornbread78

Lain said:
Looks like this coming PSN update for Europe will carry the first batch of DLC (the one US received last week), if the comment in the last week update is to be believed. After waiting so long, maybe I'll finally be able to get that sweet hair style!

LOL, which one is that, The Beiber?

Trumpets

WKC1 is reminding me of Rogue Galaxy, except with all of the personality and charisma removed. The basic gameplay seems sound enough and I like how exploration and battle flow into each other, but it feels like it was a low priority project for Level 5 and they got one of their less talented teams to develop it. There's no pizazz about it.

creid

Trumpets said:
WKC1 is reminding me of Rogue Galaxy, except with all of the personality and charisma removed. The basic gameplay seems sound enough and I like how exploration and battle flow into each other, but it feels like it was a low priority project for Level 5 and they got one of their less talented teams to develop it. There's no pizazz about it.
It technically is a Sony franchise, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Effect

So does WKC2 end the story or leave it so that there can be a WKC3 if they so decided? Could Sony go with someone else to develop the game or do they share the IP?

Coxy

Lain said:

about time, I've been waiting forever for Kara's hairstyle :| Do I need a character ticket just to put it on too?

Pyrrhus said:
Speaking of that, is Dogma Wars going to be released in any Western territory?

released in europe months ago

Lain

Coxy said:
about time, I've been waiting forever for Kara's hairstyle :| Do I need a character ticket just to put it on too?
I bought the 3 female hairstyles but didn't try them yet, so I don't know. I hope it isn't needed tho I bet it will.

Ashodin

Lain said:
I bought the 3 female hairstyles but didn't try them yet, so I don't know. I hope it isn't needed tho I bet it will.
Just wait until you start WKC2 to redo the hair after you buy the DLC.

Ashodin

Story Update:
The whole background with the Knights and the Dogma Wars is badass, but I can't help feeling it was lifted from FFX.

That being said, some of the gear in the game looks boss, but some of it is terrible. They need better designers. I hope it's better in WKC2.

Seventy5

Did anyone have an issue logging in yesterday? I tried playing when I got home but it kept logging me out of PSN when the splash screens started popping up. I know there was maintenance but I thought it was Europe onle. Other than that though, I'm so addicted to this game. I'm lvl 56 on my avatar and GR15 and I'm 2 zore crystals into red horn isle. The bounty hunts are fun, I hope they add more as dlc down the line. I tried to take a break yesterday and play some pile of shame games (Space Marine and R3) but I couldn't, ended up throwing this back in. It is certainly scratching my loot and jrpg itches.

Ashodin

Seventy5 said:
Did anyone have an issue logging in yesterday? I tried playing when I got home but it kept logging me out of PSN when the splash screens started popping up. I know there was maintenance but I thought it was Europe onle. Other than that though, I'm so addicted to this game. I'm lvl 56 on my avatar and GR15 and I'm 2 zore crystals into red horn isle. The bounty hunts are fun, I hope they add more as dlc down the line. I tried to take a break yesterday and play some pile of shame games (Space Marine and R3) but I couldn't, ended up throwing this back in. It is certainly scratching my loot and jrpg itches.
Dude awesome. I see you all the time on there, I'm level 44 I think myself! I'm trying to craft the Arondite longsword, the shit looks sick!

Post some pics of your dude man!

Cornbread78

finally finished the game install this weekend, but haven't really had a chance to play through.

I wanted to play through WKC's NG+ using the new disc first, but you can only use your prior game save to play through again from lvl 1 or start from the beginning of WKC2 contining where you left off. That kinda irked me because I sold my WKC1 disc and now I'd have to completely start from scratch to get where I was before.....

Ashodin

Cornbread78 said:
finally finished the game install this weekend, but haven't really had a chance to play through.

I wanted to play through WKC's NG+ using the new disc first, but you can only use your prior game save to play through again from lvl 1 or start from the beginning of WKC2 contining where you left off. That kinda irked me because I sold my WKC1 disc and now I'd have to completely start from scratch to get where I was before.....
Do it man. It's such a better game with the tweaks from WKC2, you'll love it all over again. The bars, the filling circle, its AWESOMEEEEE

Cornbread78

Maxrpg said:
Do it man. It's such a better game with the tweaks from WKC2, you'll love it all over again. The bars, the filling circle, its AWESOMEEEEE

LOL, I thought about it, long and hard but opted to just start WKCII instead, I was kinda pissed at the time. I ended up just shutting if off without saving so I could watch the whole opening sequence again, lol.

Ashodin

Cornbread78 said:
LOL, I thought about it, long and hard but opted to just start WKCII instead, I was kinda pissed at the time. I ended up just shutting if off without saving so I could watch the whole opening sequence again, lol.
Aw that's cool man. Grats on starting it though, epic stuff in the game!

Cornbread78

Maxrpg said:
Aw that's cool man. Grats on starting it though, epic stuff in the game!

I'm hoping so, the gamr is completely getting trashed everywhere. I hope to put a lot of time into it over the weekend.

Ashodin

Cornbread78 said:
I'm hoping so, the gamr is completely getting trashed everywhere. I hope to put a lot of time into it over the weekend.
Dude what's your PSN? I'd love to throw messages back and forth on your progress and get you hyped while you play. :p

Don't worry about the reviews, I'll make it simple for you:

Do you:

[ ] Like MMO-style gameplay on a console
[ ] Like cliched RPG stories
[ ] Enjoy the thought of your own character alongside the main characters
[ ] Enjoy the thought of controlling huge mech-like Knights that make you feel badass when you use them
[ ] Like HD Towns

If any are checked, you will love it!

Oh edit on the story so far: I just got my Knight and I FUCKIN LOVE IT. It makes your character feel even more badass!

Ashodin

StuBurns said:
The GameTrailers review was brutal.
Ouch you're right, I just watched it.

Their criticisms are well-founded - there are many points of the game I would agree on (reused areas, sound, etc). What I think they are missing is that while your character doesn't get to be more involved with the story, once you attain your Knight everything flip-flops - you feel more ingrained as the first ever Prototype Knight, and the online is accessible at any time, rather than at the end of the game like they stated.

The game is more suited towards those who do not mind finding materials for items and upgrading their loot in the synthesis system.

The combat is leagues, LEAGUES beyond the first game, and the emphasis on that is not stated enough. The first one was incredibly slow, broken in terms of how you use it, and the second game improves upon it immeasurably.

The review also states battles can be long as hell - incorrect - if you exploit enemy weaknesses and use buffs/right spells, battles can take as much as a couple seconds.

The story is pretty weak, I will admit - however the second game's story is much much more impressive than the first's (although I will say the first's story hits a turning point about half-way that makes you ignore the ugly cliches).

I'd say if you like MMO gameplay and don't mind it, give the game a real chance, play it.

You can't go wrong since it contains two games in one. (Though IMO it feels like both games are two halves of a whole).

Cornbread78

Maxrpg said:
Dude what's your PSN? I'd love to throw messages back and forth on your progress and get you hyped while you play. :p

Don't worry about the reviews, I'll make it simple for you:

Do you:

[ ] Like MMO-style gameplay on a console
[ ] Like cliched RPG stories
[ ] Enjoy the thought of your own character alongside the main characters
[ ] Enjoy the thought of controlling huge mech-like Knights that make you feel badass when you use them
[ ] Like HD Towns

If any are checked, you will love it!

Oh edit on the story so far: I just got my Knight and I FUCKIN LOVE IT. It makes your character feel even more badass!

LOL, I finished the first one and spent some hours online. Thrashing Big Red 100x was a little annoying after awhile though. They need to streamline the GR system a little bit to make it a less of a grind and reward more for finishing multiple missions. I really enjoyed the game though, The story had a cliche' theme, but was different from anything else. The battle system was fun, the world was pretty open and there was a lot of exploration to do. Despite the negative feedback I traded in a bunch of games for WKC2 and will play it when I get some extra time to do so. There's been a little TV custody battle going on at home right now, so I haven't gotten much gaming time lately, which really sucks. I like to play online shooters with my buddies as well, so that takes up some time as well, but I will be on late night Sat.

You can add me and we can do some quests once I unlock the Geonet again in WKC2

PSN: Cornbread78 (US-EST)

Maxrpg said:
Ouch you're right, I just watched it.

Their criticisms are well-founded - there are many points of the game I would agree on (reused areas, sound, etc). What I think they are missing is that while your character doesn't get to be more involved with the story, once you attain your Knight everything flip-flops - you feel more ingrained as the first ever Prototype Knight, and the online is accessible at any time, rather than at the end of the game like they stated.

The game is more suited towards those who do not mind finding materials for items and upgrading their loot in the synthesis system.

The combat is leagues, LEAGUES beyond the first game, and the emphasis on that is not stated enough. The first one was incredibly slow, broken in terms of how you use it, and the second game improves upon it immeasurably.

The review also states battles can be long as hell - incorrect - if you exploit enemy weaknesses and use buffs/right spells, battles can take as much as a couple seconds.

The story is pretty weak, I will admit - however the second game's story is much much more impressive than the first's (although I will say the first's story hits a turning point about half-way that makes you ignore the ugly cliches).

I'd say if you like MMO gameplay and don't mind it, give the game a real chance, play it.

You can't go wrong since it contains two games in one. (Though IMO it feels like both games are two halves of a whole).

Good points that should be reiterated. Nothing is over-the-top flashy about the game, but it is captivating and fun to play and that's what metterns in the end for me. I can't wait to dump some time into this bad boy. Resistance 3 is just taking a lot of my time right now as well, lol.

klee123

Maxrpg said:

I actually disagree with this, whilst the game is indeed faster than the first game, I actually reckon the game got dumbed down significantly compared to the first game's battle system.

Since all skills now use MP instead of AC, for any class other than SS, Bow and Staff, they're gonna get screwed over unless they use MP potions. I'm also not a big fan of skill spamming gameplay, which is practically what everyone does during boss fights and quite frankly, it lacks the strategic gameplay of wkc1 where one actually has to build up their AC meter to do combos(which are useless in wkc2).

I can go on about the skills being dumbed down as well, but it'll take me forever to explain it all.

However, I do agree that the package as a whole is indeed much better than the first game. For one, the game requires a lot less grinding, so for new players this is actually a good thing. I also personally liked the bounty quests and I reckon Level 5 should have included the feature in the first game.

Top Bottom