• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles 2 |OT| of WKC 1+1

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
StuBurns said:
Unresponsive is an interesting word, for some reason I was under the impression WKCs was an action RPG, and I always thought it looked really clunky for that, I was pretty surprised it's far more traditional. I think they did an incredible job of integrating traditional turn based RPG combat with a much more organic environment and traversal. It's kind of taking after FFXII in that regard, although I never liked XII.

The fact it's fairly quick makes it hard to be as strategic as it should be, it's a little messy in that sense.

Yeah I don't really know how ot explain it other than that the battle system was the only thing that didn't really click for me. Something just felt ... off, and wonky, or something. And I love almost any RPG but I didn't get through this one. :( Like I said I hope it improves for me this time around.

StuBurns

Banned
M_Night said:
Me and two of my friends are getting this when the price gets slashed in half (so within the next 1-3 weeks).

We're mainly getting it for the online component.
WKC1 has only just got to half price. Sony holds their prices pretty hard.

xelios said:
Yeah I don't really know how ot explain it other than that the battle system was the only thing that didn't really click for me. Something just felt ... off, and wonky, or something. And I love almost any RPG but I didn't get through this one. :( Like I said I hope it improves for me this time around.
I'm pretty interested to see what WKC2 is like, presumably because I'm playing the WKC2 version of WKC1 there will be very little difference for me.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so uhm..... what skills should i learn for wkc1 to have a easy time and not be stuck so much?

i made three chars one handed sword users and the yulie a bow/magic char but afaik i can reset their skills at a practice dummy, suggestions? im not far, just beat black knight first time.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
StuBurns said:
because I'm playing the WKC2 version of WKC1 there will be very little difference for me.

Maybe that's where we differ. I only played the original version (NA). I haven't played the revamped one yet.

Tiduz said:
so uhm..... what skills should i learn for wkc1 to have a easy time and not be stuck so much?

i made three chars one handed sword users and the yulie a bow/magic char but afaik i can reset their skills at a practice dummy, suggestions? im not far, just beat black knight first time.
What do you mean "stuck"? Get someone to specialize in Divine magic for healing and you should be able to cruise through the single player story part of the game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
futnownarcade said:
What do you mean "stuck"? Get someone to specialize in Divine magic for healing and you should be able to cruise through the single player story part of the game.
ah ok, i was worried id need to learn different parts for chars later on, you make the game sound easy :lol

StuBurns

Banned
It's been pretty easy so far, I've only died once. I'm not far passed you Tiduz actually, just at the next town (which is beautiful).

JudgeN

StuBurns said:
It's been pretty easy so far, I've only died once. I'm not far passed you Tiduz actually, just at the next town (which is beautiful).

Hows the framerate? WKC had some annoying frame drops would be nice if they fixed that.

StuBurns

Banned
JudgeN said:
Hows the framerate? WKC had some annoying frame drops would be nice if they fixed that.
It's not perfect I'm afraid. It's really strange though, towns will cause a fair bit of screen tear, and some rare framerate issues, but so far all of the 'dungeons' have been fine, not seen any screentear and the framerate has held steady.

Only played the first hour or two up to where the credits kick in and I can see myself enjoying this quite a bit. Like Stuburns said I'm wondering if it goes to shit at some point because people didn't seem too keen on it.

I can't believe that practically everyone online is level 50 - 60+ already though. Bastards. At least there are quite a few on there at least.

StuBurns said:
Unresponsive is an interesting word, for some reason I was under the impression WKCs was an action RPG, and I always thought it looked really clunky for that, I was pretty surprised it's far more traditional. I think they did an incredible job of integrating traditional turn based RPG combat with a much more organic environment and traversal. It's kind of taking after FFXII in that regard, although I never liked XII.

The fact it's fairly quick makes it hard to be as strategic as it should be, it's a little messy in that sense.

i played all the way through 1 on first release and the original combat system was quite slow, to the point of it actually being dull. given that not a great deal of strategy was ever required it was a bit of a problem so i'm glad they've sped it up some.

PARANO1A

Put a fair few hours into this over the long weekend. I'm now past the desert town and just saw the
walking city
. I still have barely any idea on what I'm doing but I haven't died yet so that's ok :p

I don't know how to reset everyone's stats... I've reset Leonard but I can't reset my avatar or the teams at the training dummy. If I knew how I feel like the game would be much easier. So many poor choices so far.

It's also hard since this seems like a very "min/max"-y game but there are no guides for it yet that I can see. It's hard to see which skills rock vs which ones such without trial and error... and by that point it's too late.

Anyway, will see how I go. I'm at about level 18 or so and haven't done any side missions. Tried one and got my ass thoroughly kicked (recommended level was 6, I was 9 and couldn't make a dent in the bosses). Figure it's meant for more OCD people than me :p

PARANO1A said:
Put a fair few hours into this over the long weekend. I'm now past the desert town and just saw the
walking city
. I still have barely any idea on what I'm doing but I haven't died yet so that's ok :p

I don't know how to reset everyone's stats... I've reset Leonard but I can't reset my avatar or the teams at the training dummy. If I knew how I feel like the game would be much easier. So many poor choices so far.

It's also hard since this seems like a very "min/max"-y game but there are no guides for it yet that I can see. It's hard to see which skills rock vs which ones such without trial and error... and by that point it's too late.

Anyway, will see how I go. I'm at about level 18 or so and haven't done any side missions. Tried one and got my ass thoroughly kicked (recommended level was 6, I was 9 and couldn't make a dent in the bosses). Figure it's meant for more OCD people than me :p

You can change your controllable character by pressing Select. Whichever character you're controlling can have their skills reset.

I've actually been playing as my avatar the whole time. There are some occasions where you need to play as Leonard though.

jRPG

Put around 10 hours into II, and am a little disappointed that so far, I've mostly been backtracking around the same environments from the first game. They seem exactly the same, little to no changes at all, with exception to the monsters levels perhaps. What's even more annoying, is that all of the treasure chests are empty, because I looted them in WKCI. I'd at least have expected them to be altered in some way, the Yshrenian Empire have even invaded some of these places (according to NPC's) yet I've seen little evidence of it, it seems like the perfect excuse to have shown the environments in ruins, yet strangely everything is so familiar. Of the original maps I've been to, I've also needed to backtrack through them too.

A little disappointing, however, the game still manages to keep me addicted.

Does anyone who also has the game, or has played the Japanese release, know how to fully unlock a classes skills? I've picked up everything I can in a couple of skill sets now, and I'm left with a few skills in each set, seemingly unable to unlock, at least not in the way skills traditionally unlock.

I'm kinda interested in this game but I've read a comment in this thread stating it was pretty much quest driven instead of story driven, is it true?

Last rpg I bought under GAF reccomendation for PS3 was Star Ocean... and I'm still traumatized.

Ugh.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
wtf?
im at the 3 gigas and one huge gigas fight
and i dont even have stonecutter etc, my max action chips is 8, how the fuck do i upgrade them? i died and seen a guide that says use stonecutter and crossfire which i dont have.

edit: so apparantly im underleveled. grinding time. im lvl11 with 8 chips ;/

just did that fight without stonecutter or crossfire and with 8 chips. line them up and wack away. you'll be hitting more than one that way. not too hard.

Lain

Got my copy today. I was hoping the screen-tearing was less in the cities this time around than it was in the first game, but it's there in just the same amount (which is a lot). My eyes hurt just from that.

JudgeN

finalozzo said:
how is this game online?
i would like to know because it's the only thing that seems interesting.

This is what I want to know the most, is it super grindy like the first game?

StuBurns

Banned
Lain said:
Got my copy today. I was hoping the screen-tearing was less in the cities this time around than it was in the first game, but it's there in just the same amount (which is a lot). My eyes hurt just from that.
The city in the desert is worse than the first one in that regard too.

Not sure why there is such a difference in performance between the towns and the battle areas, it's pretty strange.

So I just got the game today and I generally like what I've seen so far. This is bearing in mind that I never played the original, so naturally I'm starting with part 1 of the story and level 1 characters. I'm not too bothered about the quality of the story itself because I mainly got the game for the supposedly in-depth RPG system and the pseudo MMO online.

I really like the Final Fantasy XII style of running around fairly open environments with monsters roaming freely. I could see the hunts and side quests taking up quite a bit of my time. Currently, story wise, I've just reached the bit where GeoNet opens up and I've spent a few hours messing around with the online. The community system does seem quite interesting. There appears to be a base of some really dedicated fans and really communal feel to the whole thing, which goes further in scope than most other console games. The offset of this is that there was practically nobody near my level (level 5 at first). Anyway the people I spoke to seemed nice enough and a couple of level 40s accompanied me on a low level quest to kill some trolls - annoyingly I didn't get any experience points because they appear to be handed out based on the party's average level. At least it was fun, which hopefully bodes well for playing the game after I've advanced a bit more.

The town creation was another bit that I looked at. I imagine it could be quite rewarding spending time building it up to eventually act as a quest hub for others (there's no way in hell I'm spending real money on houses from the PSstore though). I was able to find another player at a similar level in the end. I did the training quest with them and got the satisfaction of reaching level 6 afterwards.

One of the gameplay features that I'm a little unsure about at the moment is the skill and combo system. Only having 21 slots seems very limiting for setting up different types of combos to suit different weaknesses. I know you can save different skill selections, but can you choose for these on-the-fly inside battle? Also, I seem to run out of AC points to pull off combos pretty quickly, which ties into the limited number of slots where I feel like I'm struggling for room to place both individual skills and combos. This is also taking into account that I'm only early on in the game with just a fraction of abilities unlocked. I guess I could be over-complicating it by trying to create more battle options than are needed, but it just concerns me that I might feel limited later on in the game. At least overall, the combat seems relatively fluid and enjoyable so I'll probably just work with the system better as I become more used to it.

Despite one or two reservations I'm holding about the game at the moment, I can at least see myself playing it for the next few weeks and maybe semi-regulary over the next few months. Online play is still the major draw for me playing WKC and if it's as content rich as it appears from the outset then I'll be happy playing for quite a while.

Anyway if there's anybody else just starting with the game and wants to play online early on, then look me up, my PSN username is also OgTheClever.

vivin

been meaning to pick up Wkc1 for ages, so getting 1+2 for the price of one made sense.

Only a few hours in at the moment, really enjoying the combat and such.

I attempted my first side quest, and got completely wiped on the trolls. All the normal monsters were extremely easy, but I was hitting for 1's on the trolls, and suffered a swift death. Is there some trick to them, or possibly something Ive done wrong along the way?

I believe my party is lvl 5-6, and the quest recommend lvl5+

I guess you have to find their weaknesses and also have a dedicated healer backing you up. Also make sure you also have the highest grade weapons and armour from the shop and upgrade them a bit.

Supposedly these side quests are really tough at the recommended level anyway, so you could just grind levels for a bit before coming back to it. When I did that quest online, the battle only lasted for about 5 seconds because the other players were such a high level, so I haven't experienced it properly yet.

Jigsaw

Banned
jesus,the balandor sewer part was bad,and i mean really bad...this dungeon was more annoying than anything in vanilla wkc1

mostly undead enemies where your weapons do 0 damage,and even if you have silver weapons with the undeadkiller skill you still do 0 damage,i don't know if this was a glitch or supposed to be >_> after like 20 hits of 0 damage they go down and you have approximately 3 seconds to cast "holy light" to finish them or they will get up again

do yourself a favor and just skip all encounters in this dungeon,just run directly to the star on the map,the switches don't have any use (yet?) anyway

i'm now at the part where i think the game will let me backtrack the entire world of wkc1,they have a fuckin airship,why do i have to walk all the way back to greede ?

Jigsaw said:
jesus,the balandor sewer part was bad,and i mean really bad...this dungeon was more annoying than anything in vanilla wkc1

mostly undead enemies where your weapons do 0 damage,and even if you have silver weapons with the undeadkiller skill you still do 0 damage,i don't know if this was a glitch or supposed to be >_> after like 20 hits of 0 damage they go down and you have approximately 3 seconds to cast "holy light" to finish them or they will get up again

do yourself a favor and just skip all encounters in this dungeon,just run directly to the star on the map,the switches don't have any use (yet?) anyway

Lol I spent about 2 hours on this part yesterday, I kept dying. I thought it was just me being terrible. Next time I play I'm just sprinting to the end like you suggested.

Chris R

How are the trophies this time? Still terrible bullshit? Gonna grab this at some point when I can grab it for cheap since I enjoyed the first, just no internet atm so it would be SP only.

Angry Fork

I'm kind of interested in this. Are any major sites going to review it though? I never played the first but I feel like digging into a new RPG. I could go for witcher 2 but i'm not sure. I don't care about multi player and I care a lot about music and atmosphere in these kinds of games. What kind of game is WKC 1/2 like? What would you guys compare it to?

Jigsaw

Banned
rhfb said:
How are the trophies this time? Still terrible bullshit?

it's worse,lol

wkc1

Phibianacci's Diamond
Bind 450 different items

wkc2

Gamarone's Diamond
Bind 800 different items

but at least you have a few single player trophies now (150 sidequests,40 mobhunts)

and i think you can do guild quests now offline with your party (leonard,yulie,etc),before you could only solo them with your avatar

Lol I spent about 2 hours on this part yesterday, I kept dying. I thought it was just me being terrible. Next time I play I'm just sprinting to the end like you suggested

just stop in the corridors without enemies to heal

klee123

Angry Fork said:
I'm kind of interested in this. Are any major sites going to review it though? I never played the first but I feel like digging into a new RPG. I could go for witcher 2 but i'm not sure. I don't care about multi player and I care a lot about music and atmosphere in these kinds of games. What kind of game is WKC 1/2 like? What would you guys compare it to?

I suggest you not to bother with reviews. Your enjoyment out of the game largely depends on how much you enjoy the online mode. Single player IMO is servicable, but larely irrelevent in comparison to multiplayer.

Angry Fork

I don't have any friends on PSN that play this game though, is it easy to join in with others and do stuff? How does the online work?

jRPG

Jigsaw said:

They have a barrier protecting them from physical attacks. Casting fire spells is also pretty effective (although not as well as the insta-death caused by casting Holy Light when the barrier is down).

Jigsaw said:
it's worse,lol

I'd say the distribution of trophies as a whole is better. I've already got double the amount of trophies from the second game than I have in the first. But some of the requirements for Golds are indeed much worse.

Just finished revisiting the Greede Underbelly, and those bods at Level 5 haven't just decided to re-use the exact same maps, but they've kept the puzzle exactly the same. As if the backtracking through all the old environments wasn't enough, with Yulie constantly asking me "Haven't we been this way before?". YES WE DID IN THE ORIGINAL WKC, I'M NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT EITHER YULIE! But the game is strangely keeping me engaged. I may aswell just send Level 5 money.

Angry Fork said:
I don't have any friends on PSN that play this game though, is it easy to join in with others and do stuff? How does the online work?
It my limited experience it's fairly easy to find people (although not necessarily my low level). Basically players host lobbies inside towns they made, which can hold up to 16 people. You can search through active lobbies and join them if they're not private. From here people can meet, talk to each other and go off on quests either independently or in groups of up to 6. Joining or creating a quest is simple as well. There's an NPC who you talk to that provides a list of active quests and you can join if it's in the 'preparation' stage (the creater configures the quest to wait a certain amount of time before starting, such as 10 minutes,but they can choose to begin the quest as soon as they're ready as well). For quest creation, you can specify things like how many players and only allow friends to join.

Shouta

Jigsaw said:

i'm now at the part where i think the game will let me backtrack the entire world of wkc1,they have a fuckin airship,why do i have to walk all the way back to greede ?

Best way to deal with undead is really just to smack them down hard with fire magic as much as possible, as I recall. AoE magic is ridiculously good in the game really.

StuBurns

Banned
Just got to Greede, still enjoying it a lot.

I don't get how I use my GeoLicense though, it keeps telling me I need one, and the item is in my inventory, but when I go to use it, use is greyed out.

Also, I don't really get why I'd use combos, they seem too costly to bother with. I can either kill everything with normal attacks or I go to the knight form.

Jigsaw

Banned
Londa said:
You guys have the JP version, correct?

no,europe got it earlier (as well as origins on psp)...don't hesitate to import if you don't want to wait until august+,the game's language can be set to english,french,german,spain or italian and US and EU players will be on the same servers

you can't import your savegame from the US version of wkc1 into the EU version of wkc2 though,keep that in mind if ypu played wkc1 before

Just finished revisiting the Greede Underbelly, and those bods at Level 5 haven't just decided to re-use the exact same maps, but they've kept the puzzle exactly the same. As if the backtracking through all the old environments wasn't enough, with Yulie constantly asking me "Haven't we been this way before?". YES WE DID IN THE ORIGINAL WKC, I'M NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT EITHER YULIE! But the game is strangely keeping me engaged. I may aswell just send Level 5 money.

i guess after greede they have the balls to let you backtrack to balandor as well?are there ANY new environments at all in part 2 besides the first 2 hours in faria?

Lain

I'm wondering when the DLC will be made available.
There were 3 hairstyles that needed to be bought from the PSN Store, but on the PSN Store I was only able to find the online pass (which is useless to me).
I wanted Yulie's hairstyle for my avatar!

jRPG

Jigsaw said:
i guess after greede they have the balls to let you backtrack to balandor as well?are there ANY new environments at all in part 2 besides the first 2 hours in faria?

After the Greede Underbelly they sent me back to the Bunker Lode Caverns, the very map I did before Greede Underbelly lol. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Level 5's offices. I bet they're all frolicking about in those lavish surroundings watching Anime and playing games.

Londa

Banned
Jigsaw said:
no,europe got it earlier (as well as origins on psp)...don't hesitate to import if you don't want to wait until august+,the game's language can be set to english,french,german,spain or italian and US and EU players will be on the same servers

you can't import your savegame from the US version of wkc1 into the EU version of wkc2 though,keep that in mind if ypu played wkc1 before

how much is it to import and can you use the online features for the EU version?

Jigsaw said:
it's worse,lol

but at least you have a few single player trophies now (150 sidequests,40 mobhunts)

Is there one for beating the single player game this time? I thought that was a weird omission for WKC1.

Londa said:
how much is it to import and can you use the online features for the EU version?
In the UK it's holding it's price pretty close to £40 on all the major online shops (equivalent to the $60 standard in the US). I'm guessing that importing would cost a bit more than this. Chances are that you're gonna need an EU/UK PSN account for online because of the crappy code you need to redeem to access it.

jRPG

distantmantra said:
Is there one for beating the single player game this time? I thought that was a weird omission for WKC1.

There's one for completing the main campaign for both WKCI and also one for finishing WKCII. The WKCI one also unlocks when importing completed save data.

I completely missed the fact that this was out in Europe now. I made it 15-20 hours into the first game and am considering to pick this one up and complete the two games. I could use a nice classic RPG.

One of my main problems with the first one - apart from the slow battle speed, which has been addressed somewhat - was the clumsy (or deep?) skill selection process. I was so confused with all the "forward slashes", "lunging slashes", etc. They all seem to do more or less the same damage (and often appear scale roughly the same with your stats, judging from the wiki). I felt bad for mashing the standard attack (which still managed to kill most enemies), but I couldn't bring myself to make a full study of the most optimal skill/attack combinations. Is there a simple primer for this stuff? (Please mock me if this is the manual, I tend to forget that these exist, as most of them are useless leaflets anyways).

all this backtracking is so shameless, i can't believe what i'm currently playing. the opening act was so promising.

the new errants are kinda weird too. all this back and forth between npc's.

Top Bottom