• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles 2 |OT| of WKC 1+1

jRPG

swordfishtrombones said:
I was so confused with all the "forward slashes", "lunging slashes", etc. They all seem to do more or less the same damage (and often appear scale roughly the same with your stats, judging from the wiki). I felt bad for mashing the standard attack (which still managed to kill most enemies), but I couldn't bring myself to make a full study of the most optimal skill/attack combinations. Is there a simple primer for this stuff?

I'm not sure if this applies to the original (I genuinely can't remember), but certain types of slashes work better against certain mobs. I forget the names of the attributes attatched to each move, but a basic summary of my limited understanding of it: Slash works good against spiders. Thrust works good against Basalisks, and Gnomes (the weird fish things), Lunging Slash against Scorpians and Skeletons (when the barrier is down). The move that is most effective will display the total points in a sort of red, goldy kinda colour. Obviously those are at a very basic level, you can experiment more with higher level moves, but that's the jist of it, in my understanding at least. I'm sure someone could probably expand on this better than I.

Augemitbutter said:
all this backtracking is so shameless, i can't believe what i'm currently playing. the opening act was so promising.

the new errants are kinda weird too. all this back and forth between npc's.

One of the errands in Downtown Greede really takes the cake. Having to run back and forth between three characters, something like 8 or more times is just so annoying it's actually funny. Some great rewards from some errands though, huge amounts of GR points (or whatever they're called) later on.

Jigsaw

Banned
omg now they let you backtrack the already backtracked areas again

if only the dungeons weren't that huge and lacked any variety >_>

jRPG said:
One of the errands in Downtown Greede really takes the cake. Having to run back and forth between three characters, something like 8 or more times is just so annoying it's actually funny. Some great rewards from some errands though, huge amounts of GR points (or whatever they're called) later on.

yes, i already finished that one. it represents the game's theme quite well. i'm surprised they give you so many GR points for these tasks. i'm currently at rank 10. i think i've played the first until rank 13, mostly grinding online.

klee123

swordfishtrombones said:
I completely missed the fact that this was out in Europe now. I made it 15-20 hours into the first game and am considering to pick this one up and complete the two games. I could use a nice classic RPG.

One of my main problems with the first one - apart from the slow battle speed, which has been addressed somewhat - was the clumsy (or deep?) skill selection process. I was so confused with all the "forward slashes", "lunging slashes", etc. They all seem to do more or less the same damage (and often appear scale roughly the same with your stats, judging from the wiki). I felt bad for mashing the standard attack (which still managed to kill most enemies), but I couldn't bring myself to make a full study of the most optimal skill/attack combinations. Is there a simple primer for this stuff? (Please mock me if this is the manual, I tend to forget that these exist, as most of them are useless leaflets anyways).

Certain skills have different properties. Some may be very damaging but have horrible recovery time, whilst others are vice versa. Also, keep in mind that certain attacks have different damage modifiers.

Lain

The improved engine still sucks in the cities, but the game looks so much better than it did before.
Even the scene at the castle was actually cool this time around.

Jigsaw

Banned
the difficulty spikes in this game are insane,wtf is wrong with the developers,game over because of stupid ass npcs getting killed in one shot?and then you have to do a series of 2-3 boss fights again?! (remember the rogue galaxy boss?this is the same bullshit)

the game constantly takes away your party members and knights,you are f*cked in the a** when suddenly you have to do a series of boss fights without knights and characters that still have their lvl1 equipment and are 3-4 levels behind the rest of the team

btw i'm 17 hours into the game and the last 15 hours all were simply copy pasted dungeons from white knight chronicles 1

should have been called white knight chronicles f

I'm losing motivation to play this game, everything is just copy pasted from the first game. I don't want to have to do
Greede's Underbelly
again. I think I'll just do the online stuff.

i'm back in van haven waste and the story is starting to get funny again. i think the boss fights are the most intersting point in this game, especially when your knight is unavailable and you have to rely on your skills and combos.

that's the reason i'm having fun at the moment, otherwise i'd bitch about tracking back right about now :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ObnoxiousZebra said:
I'm losing motivation to play this game, everything is just copy pasted from the first game. I don't want to have to do
Greede's Underbelly
again. I think I'll just do the online stuff.

TELLLL ME ABOUT IT.

Lain said:
The improved engine still sucks in the cities, but the game looks so much better than it did before.
Even the scene at the castle was actually cool this time around.

it sucks in cities because they decided to cram thousands of npcs into them.

Alright, got through
Greede's Underbelly, much to my dismay. Seriously hate that dungeon.
Now I have to backtrack
all the way to Balandor?! Fffffffu.

I don't think I've played a game with so much backtracking. :lol :(
If it wasn't for the core gameplay/graphical improvements I'd have probably shelved it by now.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just saw the scene where you seem to get to know who the black knight is in wkc1
caesar/kara scene
, how far am i in?

Jigsaw said:
haha...no...next bosses are fun ;)

oh, they were fun indeed. the first triple pack was a damn fine battle and luckily i had mana potions at my disposal. if i didn't made scar my secondary healer (my first wasn't there), i would've run into some serious problems though. the next pack of three was kind of weird. the black knight dominated my party and i had to rely on 2,5 sets of combos. the next fight took me a while to figure out, since i didn't know what the winning conditions were. i was surprised you could simply kite the sun king. rest was cake.

kinda disappointed about scar's true identity. i though he would be some new badass guy but instead, we got the same old shit :p

surprisingly, my old georama created with a NA copy on the same account is still active and i could access it just fine with my EU game. that was a nice surprise.

Jigsaw

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
oh, they were fun indeed. the first triple pack was a damn fine battle and luckily i had mana potions at my disposal. if i didn't made scar my secondary healer (my first wasn't there), i would've run into some serious problems though.
yep,made him a healer too (which is essentially the only way anyway at this point in the game)..i wish i would have known beforehand which characters were taken out of my party,my avatar was a melee first,then a white mage and now a black mage >_>

and as you said,as long as you have enough mana potions you can't really die at all,but it's really frustrating when you need to beat a series of bosses with only 5-6 mana potions,then i always had 20+ with me and it was almost too easy again

kinda disappointed about scar's true identity. i though he would be some new badass guy but instead, we got the same old shit :p

this was my favourite part of the game
kara is awesome and she was my favourite character from the first game,boy was i pissed when they "killed" her in the last 5 minutes,i'm so glad she is back and kicking ass

because the scene is pure awesomeness,i captured it and uploaded it to youtube ^^'

pretty big spoiler,so don't click on it if you haven't at least completed wkc1

scardyne awesomesauce

surprisingly, my old georama created with a NA copy on the same account is still active and i could access it just fine with my EU game. that was a nice surprise.

wasn't online yet but good to know,i might boot up wkc1 and spend my money on georama stuff then when i can't import my money from the save

Alright I'm on Redhorn Island and I'm having some trouble.

The giant fire demon boss thing, I've managed to restrain it with all 3 cranks, then it breaks free and I have to fight it again but it just wipes out my entire party in about a minute of the fight starting. Do I need to grind more? Or is there an easier way to take it down? My party is around level 50, lowest level character being Caesar at level 48... Should I grind with him and use his Dragon Knight? Yulie's Moon Maiden doesn't seem to do much damage...

Jigsaw said:
this was my favourite part of the game
kara is awesome and she was my favourite character from the first game,boy was i pissed when they "killed" her in the last 5 minutes,i'm so glad she is back and kicking ass

she's fine, i just hate her facial expression. dat assshot in that special cutscene was great.

still i'm disappointed they didn't want to introduce new main characters. asking for a new kickass general wasn't too much. the farian lady wasn't even playable.

i'm currently at the last dungeon and it's awesome.

my newest armor. got this from a quest

38aqG.jpg

ObnoxiousZebra said:
Alright I'm on Redhorn Island and I'm having some trouble.

The giant fire demon boss thing, I've managed to restrain it with all 3 cranks, then it breaks free and I have to fight it again but it just wipes out my entire party in about a minute of the fight starting. Do I need to grind more? Or is there an easier way to take it down? My party is around level 50, lowest level character being Caesar at level 48... Should I grind with him and use his Dragon Knight? Yulie's Moon Maiden doesn't seem to do much damage...

i completed that part earlier, it's not easy.....

i start out with my avatar and group up with my main healers yulie and kara, both of their tactics set to "heal first". kill his first form with your avatar in knight form, that's the easy part. now leonard enters the stage. focus on the knights legs and kill him as fast as possible. try to keep the fire boss in sight to get ready for his ultimate attack. it's important to block this attack, otherwise your whole party will get stunned and there is a high chance you'll die. once he's down this fight becomes much easier. mana potions are a must, so i hope you have those with you. my party was at around lvl 56 but i don't think that is important. your skill tree and your knights are the key point in this fight.

very doable.

Augemitbutter said:
i completed that part earlier, it's not easy.....

i start out with my avatar and group up with my main healers yulie and kara, both of their tactics set to "heal first". kill his first form with your avatar in knight form, that's the easy part. now leonard enters the stage. focus on the knights legs and kill him as fast as possible. try to keep the fire boss in sight to get ready for his ultimate attack. it's important to block this attack, otherwise your whole party will get stunned and there is a high chance you'll die. once he's down this fight becomes much easier. mana potions are a must, so i hope you have those with you. my party was at around lvl 56 but i don't think that is important. your skill tree and your knights are the key point in this fight.

very doable.

Man, I had no idea that
you could get an ark for your avatar! Just got it, I've no idea where to get a shield for it though, once I level up a bit more I'll try the boss again.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
does the awesome knight ninja looking guy on horse stay with your party or does he die off? i REALLY like him

Jigsaw

Banned
Tiduz said:
does the awesome knight ninja looking guy on horse stay with your party or does he die off? i REALLY like him

you mean the guy who is voiced by troy baker?sadly he wont stay in your party : (

PARANO1A

I have a found very stupid and frustrating game-breaking bug. I have no idea how this happened but I'm ready to snap the disc in half.

I'm playing through the single-player campaign (WKC1) and my party isn't joining in any battles. I'm literally playing solo (able to change to the other party members when one is KO'd) and I can't progress against some of the bigger fights as a result.

I've tried setting my "combat tactics" to the various options to see if this made a difference, and it hasn't.

No one else is getting this?

I'm up to Frass Chasm for reference... so I've put in a lot of hours for this POS to start bugging out on me.

so you mean your party is there but watching you fight? try holding R1 and set a tactic there. perhaps you set a defense tactic on accident?

Yay, beat the final boss!

SPOILERS

Only part that gave me trouble was the first phase with all 5 knights fighting. Sun King kept using a spell (forgot it's name) that cursed everybody and knocked them off balance. I found it hard to concentrate with the frame rate going crazy. Too many giant knights in a tiny ass room. =P I swear that part took me 10 or so times. -_-

Once I got past that phase the other two phases were really easy for me. Did them on my first try thanks to my avatar incorruptus and mana potion spamming.

Now, on to Geonet stuff.

for the final boss battles in WKC II i switched to

yulie's knight and kept my distance. i was focusing on the black knight first but my goal was to hit the sun king as well whenever possible. her area effect heal spell is the key to success since the other knights wouldn't survive on their own in my game.

the next two bosses went down on the first try with me using my avatar's knight. standard tactics worked.

the build-up and the final cutscenes were very nice. i enjoyed the new areas immensely. we just needed more of those.

Augemitbutter said:
for the final boss battles in WKC II i switched to

yulie's knight and kept my distance. i was focusing on the black knight first but my goal was to hit the sun king as well whenever possible. her area effect heal spell is the key to success since the other knights wouldn't survive on their own in my game.

the next two bosses went down on the first try with me using my avatar's knight. standard tactics worked.

the build-up and the final cutscenes were very nice. i enjoyed the new areas immensely. we just needed more of those.

Man I didn't even think of swapping from Leonard to Yulie, I just kept trying to take out the Sun King. Haha. I got lucky and managed to knock him off balance and took him out first.

The ending was very nice indeed, the middle of the game just seemed to drag on for me personally. But was pleasantly surprised to get a decent ending. I wasn't expecting much.

StuBurns

Banned
I've finally called it quits. I gave it ten hours, it's was enjoyable, but it gives me no motivation to push on and no indication there's anything really notable I'll be missing out on.

I'm glad I finally tried it though. I'm still going to get Ni no Kuni day one, assuming it gets a Western release. I hope it's not dogged with the same performance problems WKCs is though.

Jigsaw

Banned
apparently the us version got pushed back to september

i took a few screens,enjoy the trip through faria while waiting

ReaperXL7

Jigsaw said:

Unless it's due to localization issues which at this point I somewhat doubt, pushing this back to september is a bad call, atleast in august it would have had little competition. As it stands though in september on through december there is quite a bit of competition mounting for pretty much everything.

They did this with the first one launching it next to games like God Of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, and so on. I guess I could be wrong in all honesty but it seems like JRPGs get shafted with release windows because the publishers always stick them in the worst spots.

I really think releasing these games somewhere in between April- August would give them the best chances for success, but of course the summer does not really exist to most pubs for some reason.

Looking forward to the game either way, delay is just annoying.

manzo

Jigsaw said:

i took a few screens,enjoy the trip through faria while waiting

Is the image quality also that horrible in the game or is it just the screengrabs? I'm thinking of buying this when it's localized.

edit: it's already out HERE? Christ. Time to start checking Zavvi when the price goes down.

SkylineRKR

Europe got it from Sony, in America a third party publisher is behind it. I thought this game sold better in the USA but alas.

I am greatly enjoying this for over 100 hours now. I had to start all over because my first game was NTSC. The bad thing is that WKC 2 feels like a massive back track if you play it straight after WKC1.

But its a good game imho, no pretentious dialogue and overly long cutscenes; pretty straightforward. Good soundtrack, decent VA. Online is where its at and the Monster Hunter feel is absolutely there. There are quite a bit questionable designer choices, but I managed to look past them.

Grinding is still there but doesn't kick in until you're GR14 or so. There are a boatload of things and quests to do until you hit that brick wall (in vanilla WKC you would pretty much hit that after GR5 already).

Jigsaw

Banned
i just beat the last series of boss fights after a few weeks of doing sidequests (mainly getting the elder equipment for my avatar knight) but damn is this a disappointing ending,the ending cutscene after the last boss is like 2 minutes long and then the credits roll,you don't get to know anything about what happens to the rest of the cast besides some static pictures during the credits...even wkc1 had a better and more satisfying ending (which also lasted at least 15-20 minutes iirc)

man i never felt that disappointed before after beating a jrpg :|

Is the image quality also that horrible in the game or is it just the screengrabs?

the game has a blur filter,that's why

Haunted

manzo said:
I'm thinking of buying this when it's localized.

edit: it's already out HERE? Christ. Time to start checking Zavvi when the price goes down.
haha, I had the same exact reaction when I wanted to show the game to a friend of mine.

Wait, it's out?! *checks zavvi*

Still full price at 40 pounds right now. I just know that if I bite the bullet now, it'll go down a couple days later. I just know it.

FreeMufasa

Yeah i'm waiting on a price drop too. WKC1 took really long to drop (even then, not by that much) so i'll probably be playing this sometime late next year. It's not really important at the moment though.

Coxy

Jigsaw said:
i just beat the last series of boss fights after a few weeks of doing sidequests (mainly getting the elder equipment for my avatar knight) but damn is this a disappointing ending,the ending cutscene after the last boss is like 2 minutes long and then the credits roll,you don't get to know anything about what happens to the rest of the cast besides some static pictures during the credits...even wkc1 had a better and more satisfying ending (which also lasted at least 15-20 minutes iirc)

man i never felt that disappointed before after beating a jrpg :|

the game has a blur filter,that's why

There's more to the story after beating the game, I was pretty raging at that crappy end too :p
reload your postgame save and there's more scenes, then you need to beat the boss at Vellgander which could potentially require a lot of online play to see the rest. Yes, it sucks

I still felt there was so much wasted potential though.
You dont get to keep Miu or Cyrus? Boo!
Cisna gets awesome looking armour near the end, but never fights, boo!
you dont get the black knight back, not even postgame, BOOO!
You never get to use the sun knight even though its ark is free BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The US version of WKC1 was rather heavily worked on over the original JP version, correct? More modes or content or something, I think. I would imagine that this updated version of WKC1 is being included in WKC2, yes? Is this true of the EU version?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/1...tores-in-september-with-extra-quests-on-disc/

D3Publisher is getting ready to bring White Knight Chronicles II to North America. The Western version of has as a couple of changes, including a new server for European and North American players. Just like the Japanese version, White Knight Chronicles II includes a revised version of the first game, which implements the combat tweaks from the sequel.

You don’t need to grind through White Knight Chronicles to get to White Knight Chronicles II either. The Japanese release required players to complete White Knight Chronicles: International Edition before they could start the sequel. Skip White Knight Chronicles and you’ll see a montage that summarizes the events in the game.

Another bonus is White Knight Chronicles II includes extra quests released as downloadable content in Japan as on disc content in North America. D3Publisher didn’t say which quests will be available on disc only citing content from January 2011. That’s when Sony released a mission where you defeat a demon at the end of the abyss (pictured below). Level-5 also created a new storyline that stars the avatar character who usually follows Leonard around in the main story, which was released in Japan back in March.

White Knight Chronicles II is slated for release this September.

Haunted

FreeMufasa said:
Yeah i'm waiting on a price drop too. WKC1 took really long to drop (even then, not by that much) so i'll probably be playing this sometime late next year. It's not really important at the moment though.
nooooooo

Famassu

Mejilan said:
The US version of WKC1 was rather heavily worked on over the original JP version, correct? More modes or content or something, I think. I would imagine that this updated version of WKC1 is being included in WKC2, yes? Is this true of the EU version?
Level 5 worked a lot on WKC1 after the Japanese version was released and the much updated WKC1 version was the one that was released outside Japan. The WKC1 that comes with WKC2 is different again, as it contains all the improvements/changes made to the battlesystem etc. from WKC2.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So it includes WK1, am I reading this properly? Or am I delusional?

Anyways, looking forward to it! Looks beautiful in the trailer!

SkylineRKR

Yes but make no mistake; this is not a 2 game deal. Its more that WKC 1 International was half a game deal. WKC1 + 2 warrants about 40 hours of offline story play, which is a decent average. WKC1 ended when things became interesting.

You can opt to hop straight into WKC2, it will let you start at level 35. If you finished WKC1 below 35, you'll start at 35 as well but with all loot you've gained so far in tact. Also, WKC2 is reasonably challenging, the difficulty of some fights will take you by surprise. I find the game, especially the online side of things and looting of rare items to be ejoyable.

There is connectivity with the PSP version I also bought last month.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Thank you squall211, and SkylineRKR for you helpful and informative replies! :D

Top Bottom