• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

GrizzNKev

Banned
So I was listening to Classical South Florida this morning, and they proved to me they're the best radio station around when they decided to play a chamber orchestra arrangement of One Final Effort from Halo 3. That happens to be my favorite piece of music from any game, ever.

Ballin'

GrizzNKev

Banned
I had an interview at GameStop today on Miramar Parkway. I sat there trying to give genuine and friendly answers through the whole thing, then at the end the woman just says, "Yeah we're not really hiring temp positions. Use this as a learning experience."

Man I thought I was going to be hired on the spot.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I had an interview at GameStop today on Miramar Parkway. I sat there trying to give genuine and friendly answers through the whole thing, then at the end the woman just says, "Yeah we're not really hiring temp positions. Use this as a learning experience."

You dodged a bullet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did she mean that your learning experience should be "job hunting sucks"?

Pau

I've actually thought about applying to GameStop too. But do I really want to. :/

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've actually thought about applying to GameStop too. But do I really want to. :/

Well people keep telling me not to be picky. I figured something with video games would be good enough. I go to school for game development and have done the journalism thing too, I figured I could handle retail. Thing is I go back to school in less than 4 months and nobody but a movie theater even wants to talk to me.

I can get you a sys admin/helpdesk job interview in Tampa.

How about SoFla ;_;

I got my MCSE in middle school.

Pau

Well people keep telling me not to be picky. I figured something with video games would be good enough. I go to school for game development and have done the journalism thing too, I figured I could handle retail. Thing is I go back to school in less than 4 months and nobody but a movie theater even wants to talk to me.
That's the issue I'm gonna run into as well. I dunno. Maybe we should just lie. :c

cj_iwakura

How about SoFla ;_;

You can do better than GameStop. At least Teleperformance(North Lauderdale) is full time and doesn't pay peanuts.

Necrovex

Try Publix. I placed myself down for any time on the schedule, and I don't plan to stay there long at all. Get that temp work in, and when school starts again. Bail out!

ZeroRay

Might have something lined up at TJ Maxx. Wish me luck.

How about SoFla ;_;

From all accounts, GameStop isn't a great place to work. Maybe the interviewer thought you could do better. :p

Also, a lot of places don't bother to interview people with a certain level of education because they figure the applicant would bolt at the first sign of a better opportunity. Shit sucks.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sort of an update on E3 plans:

So far it's looking like the house won't be empty until either the 12th or 13th. That'll be either Day 2 or 3 of the expo, but if that's still something people are interested in I'm still up to be a part of a potential set of days where we do stuff.

Normally I hook up a laptop to my biggest TV and just choose whichever stream is doing the best job at the time.

ZeroRay

^ Aww, but the main Sony/MS conferences are where all the hype/salt/tears is at.

Good luck! :D I wanna go bother you at your job so hurry up and get one! :p

Thanks! Gonna see them on Friday.

Hopefully this one turns out better than the other clothing shop that hired me. >_>

GrizzNKev

Banned
^ Aww, but the main Sony/MS conferences are where all the hype/salt/tears is at.

Thanks! Gonna see them on Friday.

Hopefully this one turns out better than the other clothing shop that hired me. >_>

Yeah I'm disappointed too. Maybe we can have a conference day with Irish and a wrap up day at my place? I dunno, I just wanna contribute something.

Karkador

Banned

It could be worse. It's a retail job like any other, but with videogames. It's not a gamer's paradise, and you'll find that all your Gaming Knowledge™ means very little to the average game consumer. It's a place to build some basic experience and shoot the shit with your nerdy coworkers when it's slow. New consoles are coming out, which makes working there a little more interesting.

Might have something lined up at TJ Maxx. Wish me luck.

D:

ZeroRay

Yeah I'm disappointed too. Maybe we can have a conference day with Irish and a wrap up day at my place? I dunno, I just wanna contribute something.

Either way, it's really awesome of you to try and throw something like this together.

If we do meet up for E3, you're all gonna have to bear witness to my cringe-worthy next gen Chad Warden impressions. PS Quad, baby!

The deals Kark! Remember the deals!

Pau

It could be worse. It's a retail job like any other, but with videogames. It's not a gamer's paradise, and you'll find that all your Gaming Knowledge™ means very little to the average game consumer. It's a place to build some basic experience and shoot the shit with your nerdy coworkers when it's slow. New consoles are coming out, which makes working there a little more interesting.
According to you and ZeroRay I have no Gaming Knowledge™ so it'll be perfect! :p

I've never watched e3 live before. But if there's coke where this is happening and like, cookies or something, I'm down.

Log4Girlz

Yep. Theatres hire for the summer. So 3 or 4 months of work is just fine. In fact, I've got a shit ton of interviews to do tomorrow :/

Back from tally in so Flo for a couple of days. Anybody know any civil engineering firms looking for interns? :p

Oh any meet ups happening anytime soon?

Andrew.

Banned
If anyone knows of a Broward Publix that still makes Phillys let me know.

Also, where can I find a La Spadas and do they make cheesesteaks? (the key question)

Link

The Autumn Wind
If anyone knows of a Broward Publix that still makes Phillys let me know.

Also, where can I find a La Spadas and do they make cheesesteaks? (the key question)
They don't make cheesesteaks, but have you checked out Direct From Philly? They operate out of a Chevron, but they're literally the best cheesesteaks I've ever had.

Karkador

Banned
According to you and ZeroRay I have no Gaming Knowledge™ so it'll be perfect! :p

I've never watched e3 live before. But if there's coke where this is happening and like, cookies or something, I'm down.

I feel like taking the day off for this purpose

Andrew.

Banned
They don't make cheesesteaks, but have you checked out Direct From Philly? They operate out of a Chevron, but they're literally the best cheesesteaks I've ever had.

Yep and being from Philly it's the closest you really get to the real deal thanks mostly in part to the Amoroso rolls that get imported. Im pretty cool with the owner. Whenever he delivers to me I always smoke him out.

I couldve sworn I went to someplace called La Spada in Coral Springs that made a bangin cheesesteak.

Top Bottom