• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's buying a PSP now that the price is known

luxsol

Surprised no one has made this topic (again) considering the price has been revealed.

I thought the PSP was going to be released at above $300 but was shocked to see it at a sub-$200 price. Before I said i would wait to buy one until a game I like is announced but now it seems like a steal/mustbuyatlaunch with its price tag. I'm really torn now, because i like expensive looking equipment especially when its cheap... but no PSP games stand out to me except for the Vampire Savior game.
So, unless I go broke or my common sense comes back to me (fat chance, i like pretty shiny tech!!) I'm going to buy a PSP at or near launch.

SomeDude

Banned
The new FF7 game is enough for me to get it. But at 200 bucks who wouldn't get it? I payed 149.99 for my GBA at launch a few years ago =/

I will be buying PSP.

Really I'll be buying everything (PSP, Xenon, Revolution, PS3, DS, etc.).

It's just too hard to resist.

xexex

Banned
I was going to wait until the price came down to $200 or less, now I dont have to wait :D

I still plan to get 2x NDS

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i want one - just thinking about when i want to pick it up - my ps2 is flaky at the best of times so i don't want to early-adopt and be burned by shoddy hardware. but definitely getting one :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've got a preorder for the japanese launch, and i'll get a backup preorder for the us launch should problems arise. if i can play uncompromised versions of ridge racer and minna no golf in bed, it's unclear why i'd ever get out of bed. and that screen! i'm really looking forward to it.

that $200 announcement was the kind of gesture that changes minds. i'm sure loads of nintendo fans are having crises of faith. :D

I'll get it once some games I want come out....also, whats the deal with the battery life? I know it comes with two batteries, but still....any word on how long it lasts?

nitewulf

i am thinking about it, and im not even interested in any of the games, aside from RR handheld. the sleekness, the power and the price of the device is just too sweet to resist though.

Auron

I'm going to wait and see what the Japanese reviews are for the Final Fantasy VII title. If they are positive, I'll likely pick one up.

Meier

I wouldnt have before and likely wont get one at launch necessarily now but I'm figuring I'll probably pick one up if they release the value pack for $200. I'm not gonna buy the system though until a price drop if that stuff isnt included in the US.. this wont be another iPod where I spend another $150 on accessories basically (or even $50 in this case).

Brofist

Well it makes the chances a lot higher for sure. Plus having two of my favorite series at launch (Minna and RR) helps.

explodet

Gotta see how much they're charging for one in Canada.

Currently:
19,800.00 Japan Yen = 227.944 Canada Dollars

but
199.00 United States Dollars = 243.448 Canada Dollars

the price is nice, but i have no need for a portable system. Hell, i hardly have enough time to play all the shit i want on PS2/GC as it is. The price certainly makes it more tempting though, but i think i'll pass.

neptunes

explodet said:
Gotta see how much they're charging for one in Canada.

Currently:
19,800.00 Japan Yen = 227.944 Canada Dollars

but
199.00 United States Dollars = 243.448 Canada Dollars

yeah man, that's weird.

I'm ready to get one, but I think I'm going to wait out until the DS launch just because of UMD movie lockout and the launch library for Japan. I was actually hoping for a price drop down to $200-250 as for when I'd get one. And hey, it's here before launch. :) So I see no reason to turn the system down. Hopefully we'll get some nice killer apps at launch as well, and then I'll definitely be there to get one.

I've gone from "No effin way" to "Hmmmm..... maybe....."

Yes I am a big Sony fan, but I never seem to get much out of portable gaming post-Lynx.

joshschw

I'll wait at LEAST 6 months before considering it. (Gotta make sure this isn't Sonys usual Hardware :))

Besides after 6 months theres more software selection. and I'm guessing, maybe a price drop if it doesn't work so well for Sony.

Vitten

I'll wait it out a few months untill there's a better collection of games available and the pros and cons of the system have become apparent. Might even be cheaper by then..

btrboyev

I'll get it once some games I want come out....also, whats the deal with the battery life? I know it comes with two batteries, but still....any word on how long it lasts?

it doesn't come with two batteries

I'm in a tough spot, I want a DS, I'll probably buy the DS and I might get the PSP sometime, but not right away. Hell I might not buy either of the two and I'll tell you why:

I'm just not a big handheld player, I bought the GBA:SP not really cause I wanted one, but because of how cool it was. I bought it in may of 03 and I have a grand total of 3 games for it. PS Collection, Metroid Fusion, Mario and Luigi. All of these games are awesome, but I find it hard to even wanna sit own a play them when i can just play games on normal consoles. I don't travel much, so basically my handheld experience is at home which deafeats the purpose of handhelds. I also hate spending anything over $25 on a handheld game.

I've spent maybe a grand total of 40 hrs playing my GBA, and I've had it over a year..its something I'll have to think about.

explodet

neptunes said:
yeah man, that's weird.
Well, 19800 Yen is closer to $185 American, but I doubt highly that the price for a PSP in the states will be anything but $199.

And then there's accessories. And taxes.
The PSP looks great, but it's not exactly for the budget gamer. Especially the CANADIAN budget gamer.

btrboyev

I still think sony is going to launch the bundle version here only at $250. Well if they did sell just the unit at $199 it would make people have spend that much more on a memory card, case, and headphones.

firex

not me! $200 is great though, because it means I won't have to wait as long for a price drop down to $100 for me to buy it.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
olimario said:
I need to see compelling software first.
Nothing on the PSP so far will be as fun as Mario 64 and Wario Ware DS.
:)
Oh, I'm sure you'll see them on the PSP in three or four years.

Che

Banned
joshschw said:
I'll wait at LEAST 6 months before considering it. (Gotta make sure this isn't Sonys usual Hardware :))

Besides after 6 months theres more software selection. and I'm guessing, maybe a price drop if it doesn't work so well for Sony.

I don't think Sony is gonna drop the price any time soon but I totally agree with the rest of your post..

Xellos

Not planning on it right now. It's some nice hardware and I'd really like to play MG Acid (and Plant Moon's game), but I don't want to spend $350 on two portable systems over the next year (I rarely travel anyway). Maybe a year or two after launch.

lexi

Banned
Once I see a 'must-have' game, I'll probably pick one up. Nothing compels me, so far.

And no, I don't consider a port of a high-profile console game to be compelling.

aoi tsuki

While i'm shocked that they priced it so low, i don't understand the how $100 makes or breaks the sale. Granted, i used to think like this, but i realized that in the grand scheme of things, $100 is a pretty much forgettable amount when it comes to game hardware. If PSP were $300, a month or so later i wouldn't be thinking about the price of the hardware, which you usually pay only once, but the games, which you continue to pay for beyond the life of the system.

$200 is only $50 less than I was expecting, but of course it's still most welcome and I can't deny I was surprised. Excellent move by Sony. I overreacted when I first heard the news and was imagining the decimation of DS that would occur, but PSP is out later in the west, and they'll probably have the price down so it should be a good fight! I can't wait, I'm getting both!

Me. I only see myself playing around an hour a day, two at most, so the estimated battery life is plenty. The initial launch has games I want to play. And I love slick looking portable devices like PDA's and cellphones.

Top Bottom