• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's buying a PSP now that the price is known

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Same as jarrod. But I've never been one to import and I don't think I'm going to start now, so I'll wait for the NA launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Preordered at play-asia. Although I got stung badly for tax/duty with my first order, so considering cancelling and getting it through local Japanese ties as a 'gift'.

UMD movie lockout

Speculation only so far, but movie lockout might map to DVDs (for the sake of simple licensing maybe?). If thats the case, then a Japanese import will still be able to play UK movies in the UK, as we share the same region.

DJ Brannon said:
I'll wait quite a few months before thinking about it for the one obvious reason in that it's made by Sony.

I definetely agree with this. If the price drops to 199.99 (With accessories) by summer, however, it's gonna be real hard for me to resist buying for the hurricane kit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For me, its a good launch line up. Compared to previous ones I've partaken of (most of them).

Certainly better than DC. Possibly on a par with PS2 (I think RRV was launch for that)

the low price makes it more attractive, but i'm still not sure. the ps2 is my least played console and the psp is shaping up to be a handheld version of it software-wise. it would be cool to have for roadtrips and such, and it is a sleek piece of tech, so who knows? i might be tempted...

ElyrionX

Only when I see some killer apps. At $300, I don't see myself picking it up even if there were many killer apps but at $200, the situation changes quite a bit....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh, when you reply, can you also indicate if you are normally the sort of wierdo that pays crazy money for launch hardware with poor software support?

I'll start: Me!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dont see the point in buying one right away, looks like another disapointing Sony launch at the moment (things could change) i'll pick one up later down the line when developers have had time to really milk it.

Midas

I'm getting one. A $300 price tag wouldn't have kept me away either. I'm probably importing one from Japan in January.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Now that the price is known, I'm getting two.

No, seriously, I am. I want to check out the multiplayer capabilities.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'll wait quite a few months before thinking about it for the one obvious reason in that it's made by Sony.

Thats the reason I'm importing from Japan. Get the overengineered ones before they have time to cost engineer it.

I still have my Japanese launch PS2 and its perfectly fine.

Hmm, I never thought about the curse of the early adopter with Sony systems. If it isn't just the annoyance of having old firmware, I might be risking noise or disc read errors or something else. I too might wait a couple of months, or til the lineup sweetens the deal.

It looks so awesome though! I can't not buy one :D

Midas

mrklaw said:
Thats the reason I'm importing from Japan. Get the overengineered ones before they have time to cost engineer it.

That's what I'm thinking too. I guess early adopters will notice in a couple of months.

Tritroid

DS I'll be getting the day it releases.

PSP I had always planned to get 'sometime', after a sufficient wait period. Both because I want to see how the hardware holds up for consumers and because I'm not interested in any of the launch games or the ones directly after.

Talk of the PSP MMORPG has me interested though.

Miburou

Since the PSP is most likely going to retail for $199 in the US, and it's not likely the price will go down anytime soon, it would seem like a good idea to get a Japanese launch unit.

Top Bottom