• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Battleborn has been my GOTY (thus far)

gogosox82

My main issues from the beta was that I hated the UI, I didn't like the loot drop aspect, and I hated the art design. So the game probably isn't for me but you really seem to like it and that's great. I imagine that more people will start playing once it goes f2p. Hell, I may even give it another shot then.

sikkinixx

It is certainly childish.

I feel the same about Overwatch. Looks like they just wanted to design things to people to viral market for them by cosplaying. Irrational as it is, I get really annoyed when I see it. That and shitty puns like "D.Va" lulz get it?! She's a diva! /yellingatclouds

My friend really loved the beta but told me he figures it would go f2p and would wait. I'd like to try it but figure I'll wait for that day now too.

Thanks for the in depth post, I'll probably play it when it inevitably goes F2P

Yep this. And by then, I'm sure it'll be more solid than it was at launch or is today. Maybe like Evolve.

I feel the same about Overwatch. Looks like they just wanted to design things to people to viral market for them by cosplaying. Irrational as it is, I get really annoyed when I see it. That and shitty puns like "D.Va" lulz get it?! She's a diva! /yellingatclouds

My friend really loved the beta but told me he figures it would go f2p and would wait. I'd like to try it but figure I'll wait for that day now too.

What would you have preferred? It to look like Call of Duty? Battlefield? Unreal Tournament? Seems like there's only so many directions you can go that haven't already had their paths worn out already.

I have a lot of fun with the game. Really I think it's broken in fundamental ways. Overwatch is certainly the better game. But this game has a soul that Overwatch just doesn't have. Its worse, but it's fun.

I wouldn't get it on PC, but it may be worth it on console. Game needs to go F2P ASAP.

Couldn't disagree more with your post, OP. However, I really like how you put a lot of effort into describing why you enjoy it rather than doing a lame drive-by post like I've been seeing a lot of on here lately.

daedalius

The variation of character play styles is just staggering, I love it.

Going from the space marine esque jump trooper to basically a WoW warrior is just awesome.

The hyperbole and idiocy about Battleborn in this thread is galling. Disagree with the OP, fine, but do it with some fucking class. Jesus Christ, thank god we don't live in a world run by the GAF hivemind.

Couldn't disagree more with your post, OP. However, I really like how you put a lot of effort into describing why you enjoy it rather than doing a lame drive-by post like I've been seeing a lot of on here lately.

That's fair enough, it's alright to like different things for different reasons etc, but either way I appreciate that you like the effort I put in. :) I thought I'd put the effort in since I know for a lot of people it's not a game they played, or not one they like, so I thought it would be at least semi interesting why someone else did like it, even if you yourself, don't.

It always fascinates me what people like about particular games. Even if I don't like them myself, personally.

It really is unfortunate that so many people have a bone to pick with Gearbox and feel that they need to shit all over every single game they make to feel better about themselves, but I'm glad you went into detail about why this game deserves a fair shot from everyone even though they'll never give it one.

I know we disagree about stuff like balancing issues when it comes to games like Garden Warfare 2 Chrono, but I found myself on the same page with everything you said about Battleborn.

Everything about it is so unique when comparing it to other competitive shooters on the market and the personality/character designs/writing really struck a chord with me as someone that usually hates Borderlands games and Gearbox writing.

There are very few games that I put on a pedestal and I'm sure most people recognize my name/avatar as being that dude that points out why he doesn't like so and so aspect of a game or what have you, but no other game besides Garden Warfare 2 Beta has captured me like Battleborn has.

It's so good that it actually eats into my time that I spend messing around in VR everyday, which again, if anyone recognizes my name/avatar would seem nearly impossible considering how much I love VR :p

I think the biggest draw for me personally is that I've always enjoyed the idea of a Moba on paper but never actually got into one despite trying all the popular ones. But as someone with years of experience with FPS games, having the ability to carry all that skill over into a new genre feels incredibly refreshing yet satisfying as I already understand 85% of the underlying mechanics and get to make use of my dexterity in a Moba rather than only making use of my reflexes with how fast I can "click" something. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with traditional Mobas, but just to say that I find tremendous value in the ability to carry over years of experience into a new genre without feeling overwhelmed by the high skill gap usually present in Mobas.

Top Bottom