• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the Dreamcast was/is better than the PS2...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just a quick list...

You already got ICO and Katamari Damashii (which are two GREAT games)...

Here's a few...

Fantavision
The Adventure of Cookie and Cream (f*cking awesome)
Sky Odyssey
Gitaroo Man
Sky Gunner
Rez
Bravo Music
Samurai
Disaster Report (Zettai Zetsumei Toshi)
Amplitude
Frequency
Bombastic
Siren
Eye-Toy
Dog's Life

Do you have a similar list for DC available (including only US released games)?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Off the top of my head , some creative games :

Akihabara pies
Chu Chu Rocket
Seventh Cross
Ikaruga
Rez
Get Bass Fishing
Jet Set Radio
Tokyo Bus Guide
Lack Of Love
Phantasy star online
Typing of the dead
Super Magnetic Niu Niu
Roomania
Space Channel 5
Shenmue
Sengoku Turb
Segagaga
Seaman
Cool Cool Toon
Propeller Arena (* disqualified due to not actually getting a release)
Samba de Amigo

dark10x

DCharlie said:
Off the top of my head , some creative games :

Akihabara pies
Chu Chu Rocket
Seventh Cross
Ikaruga
Rez
Get Bass Fishing
Jet Set Radio
Tokyo Bus Guide
Lack Of Love
Phantasy star online
Typing of the dead
Super Magnetic Niu Niu
Roomania
Space Channel 5
Shenmue
Sengoku Turb
Segagaga
Seaman
Cool Cool Toon
Propeller Arena (* disqualified due to not actually getting a release)
Samba de Amigo

Well, I didn't have a handy list of ALL PS2 games...so I only included some US released titles (or upcoming). I was not looking for a worldwide list.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
Code Veronica PS2 was proven to look EXACTLY the same as the GC version which in turn looks just like the DC version. The ONLY addition made was a strange motion blur filter. CV on PS2 is a full frame buffer game as well.

Not really, no. The differences were already pointed out in the thread.

dark10x

CVXFREAK said:
Not really, no. The differences were already pointed out in the thread.

The differences are so incredibly minor that one need not even concern themselves with them. Christ, the initial poster was trying to use it to draw comparisons to MGS2 on XBOX. RECV on PS2 could be considered flawless in comparison the XBOX version of MGS2.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
The differences are so incredibly minor that one need not even concern themselves with them. Christ, the initial poster was trying to use it to draw comparisons to MGS2 on XBOX. RECV on PS2 could be considered flawless in comparison the XBOX version of MGS2.

It's minor, but not "EXACTLY" the same.

dark10x

CVXFREAK said:
It's minor, but not "EXACTLY" the same.

It's close enough that it is even difficult to tell the difference when viewing direct feed shots and really, you couldn't even point to those differences and call them flaws. Ya know? :p

DCharlie

"Well, I didn't have a handy list of ALL PS2 games...so I only included some US released titles (or upcoming). I was not looking for a worldwide list."

i didn't have a full DC list either :)

I'd throw in Border Down and Napple Tale as well :)

The PS2 has been going for a hell of a lot longer than the DC did , so obviously it's going to have many more "creative" games (i wasn't supporting the initial arguement that the PS2 didn't have more creative games, just pointing out that the DC did have a good strong creative line up).

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
It's close enough that it is even difficult to tell the difference when viewing direct feed shots and really, you couldn't even point to those differences and call them flaws. Ya know? :p

That's true. :p Still, we all know which version looks better, so we'll leave it at that. :p

Of all the games to argue over which versions better you choose Code Veronica. I mean we (almost) have RE4, we can safely put the rest of the RE games back into the corners of our minds, where they'll be half-forgotten and dusty, and put this whole ugly episode behind us.

dark10x

DCharlie said:
"Well, I didn't have a handy list of ALL PS2 games...so I only included some US released titles (or upcoming). I was not looking for a worldwide list."

i didn't have a full DC list either :)

I'd throw in Border Down and Napple Tale as well :)

The PS2 has been going for a hell of a lot longer than the DC did , so obviously it's going to have many more "creative" games (i wasn't supporting the initial arguement that the PS2 didn't have more creative games, just pointing out that the DC did have a good strong creative line up).

Well, then you have a much more complete list...as my PS2 list was compiled only from a US release list. Yours is made up of many Japanese only games. Obviously, if we were to include those...the PS2 list would grow. Even more so, when you include stuff like Border Down...it would increase EVEN MORE. :p

The point of my post wasn't that the DC didn't have TONS of creative games, it was that the PS2 ALSO had a ton. The poster that I originally responded to was claiming that PS2 was filled only with sequels and rehashes and I claimed otherwise. I wanted him to list US games only so that they could be directly compared to the PS2 list I posted. If you wanna toss a bunch of JP only PS2 titles on there, that would be nice.

dark10x said:

Damn straight.

DCharlie said:
Lack Of Love

Wow. Someone else besides me has played this game?

DCharlie said:
Cool Cool Toon

Most underrated music game ever.

Tsubaki said:
Some of Team Andromeda's members went to Overworks. The other members went to Smilebit.

As far as the ship battles are concerned, they are very different from PDS battles. PDS battles were actually fun. The combination of position vs timing made it strategic. Arcadia ship battles dragged out way too long, and were incredibly boring. They give you the layout of the enemy's actions and future actions, and you pretty much adjust your attacks/defense accordingly. While PDS battles allows for an element of risk, the fact that Arcadia shows you the enemy strategy eliminated all that. I had more fun with Arcadia's normal battles (which were really quite excellent when fighting a boss) than the ship battles.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I loved the battles in Saga. In fact, I hate RPGs (they're just not my thing), but Saga was the only one in which the battles were fun, at least to me. I'm surprised no one has ripped it off by now.

I used to be a hardcore Segan, but I've long since been past that.

Looking back at my 21 game DC library, I can only say that I greatly enjoyed 7 games (Tokyo Xtreme Racer, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, NFL 2K1, Jet Grind Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online). The rest of the games, which were of a high profile, I didn't really care for a whole lot.

I've only got 10 PS2 games at the moment, partly due to trading games away at a clip much greater than before (due to buying budget games for the heck of it), but also due to owning an Xbox and having a somewhat diminished interest in gaming. From that library, I can say that I greatly enjoy 5 of them (GTA 3, GTA: VC, Dark Cloud 2, R&C: GC, TXRacer 3. I also greatly enjoyed ESPN Football, but traded that away towards 2k5 on Xbox). I've got 13 Xbox games, 6 greatly enjoyed (was 14/7, WSB 2k3 traded away).

I'll end up w/ more PS2 games that I really enjoyed than DC and I would've never thought that would be the case when the DC was about to come out. The DC was overhyped and overrated.

etiolate

Banned
I never had a Dreamcast, but there was more games on Dreamcast(Sonic Adventure. Skies, 2d Fighters, Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Rez, Samba, JGR, PSO) that I wanted than I have for my ps2. Of course a lot of those games have been ported and now I own them on other systems, but I'd take the original content on DC over the ok quality/large hype original content on PS2.

DC Framebuffer effects were also seen in DOA 2 during the super hit effect attacks where they would invert the colors and scale the image. As well, the frame buffer was used for the cross dissolve effects during the running demo. NHL2K did the same this when cutting from camera to camera during breaks in play.

The basic way of doing the bright effects is to take the screen from the frame buffer. place it to a texture and then reapply that texture to the screen as an additive translucency. That is what ICO does to create their super bright light and high contrast pass. That is it, there is no amazing secret to it. It could have been done on PS1 if a developer built a game around that visual look.

I think the concept of graphics evolution is completely being ignored. Many frame buffer techniques we saw in games all came out around the same time. Why is this? Because Sony sent graphic demos to their developers that demonstrated what could be done with frame buffer manipulation. Microsoft did the same thing with the real time fur shading trick. Every time a new version of the dev kit would come out a new technique would appear. It is not like since PS1 first came out everyone had all the ideas and techniques to do really impressive graphics and they have been waiting until the technology finally allowed them to do it. It took time and research and each and every effect you have seen in a game is because someone somewhere did it first and other people then adopted it. After enough ideas have been adopted the level of the visuals have improved.

Not even high end arcade games had any serious glow and bloom techniques even though they had more than enough power to pull it off.

DCharlie

"Wow. Someone else besides me has played this game?"

he he. Jonnyram did a guide for it - it's over at Gamefaqs....

Argyle

Warm Machine said:
DC Framebuffer effects were also seen in DOA 2 during the super hit effect attacks where they would invert the colors and scale the image. As well, the frame buffer was used for the cross dissolve effects during the running demo. NHL2K did the same this when cutting from camera to camera during breaks in play.

I don't think this is the same thing as what we saw on PS2 and later systems - the DOA2 effect is more of a simple video feedback style effect, and the NFL2K is just a crossfade from the last image in the previous scene to the next. Depth of field and bloom effects are a bit more complicated...

I'm not sure you could ever do a proper depth of field effect on the DC since it lacked a Z-buffer...someone more clever than myself may be able to think about how to do it but certainly no one figured it out while the system was viable :)

Warm Machine said:
The basic way of doing the bright effects is to take the screen from the frame buffer. place it to a texture and then reapply that texture to the screen as an additive translucency. That is what ICO does to create their super bright light and high contrast pass. That is it, there is no amazing secret to it. It could have been done on PS1 if a developer built a game around that visual look.

This isn't entirely accurate either, not sure exactly what ICO does (haven't looked at it in a while) but what games like Wreckless do is that they store additional "brightness" information in the alpha channel, then they make a texture that is only the "bright" parts of the screen (using the alpha test), which is then blurred and applied over the final image. This would be difficult to do on PS1, since you'd only have one bit of alpha in 16-bit color mode (which is what just about every game ran in)...either way, you're churning through fillrate that was expensive in the 32-bit era, as well as using a good chunk of the VRAM to store your "bright" texture - and blurring it typically requires a pass or two which churns even more fillrate, plus the PS1 doesn't have a bilinear filter which is what most people use for their blur function...

So, possible? Perhaps, in a tech demo, but not practical in-game, I think.

Warm Machine said:
I think the concept of graphics evolution is completely being ignored. Many frame buffer techniques we saw in games all came out around the same time. Why is this? Because Sony sent graphic demos to their developers that demonstrated what could be done with frame buffer manipulation. Microsoft did the same thing with the real time fur shading trick. Every time a new version of the dev kit would come out a new technique would appear. It is not like since PS1 first came out everyone had all the ideas and techniques to do really impressive graphics and they have been waiting until the technology finally allowed them to do it. It took time and research and each and every effect you have seen in a game is because someone somewhere did it first and other people then adopted it. After enough ideas have been adopted the level of the visuals have improved.

Not even high end arcade games had any serious glow and bloom techniques even though they had more than enough power to pull it off.

I don't know about that - IMHO, the reason why you saw such effects for the first time on PS2 is because they play to the PS2's strengths (which is massive fillrate)...the DC certainly didn't have this as a strength (otherwise, why bother with tiled rendering if memory bandwidth and fillrate are cheap?), and the previous generation of consoles didn't have this advantage either. I don't think the arcade hardware of the era could do this well...Model 3 Step 2.1 only had around 60 megapixels of fillrate (according to System16) so I doubt you would have seen such effects on that hardware (additionally, it's unknown if such effects were even possible, depending on how the GPU and memory are set up!)...

(As an aside, have you noticed that not many games use the depth of field effect anymore? And good thing too, it was starting to piss me off, especially in racing games...it looks great for replays, but blurring the horizon? Uh, no - thats where my eyes are looking when I'm playing - I hope that my vision is good enough that I can focus on distant objects :))

I love my Dreamcast(s) but IMHO they are overshadowed (technically) by the machines that came out after it. Which is as it should be - the DC was never about cutting edge technology, it was about putting together a box at a reasonable price that wouldn't put Sega out of business from massive losses on each unit of hardware. (Of course, it looked a lot better than the PS1 and N64 just because it was a few years newer!)

Acosta

It´s like travel in the timemachine... I feel younger.

If you can get this thread arguing about PS2 Vs DC... in 2004, I don´t want to think what it will be when next-generation comes, maybe I should take a rest from GA that months.

Can´t we let it that almost nobody cares which is better, or what it worse, it´s almost impossible to prove such thing?, the only facts are the internal architecture and components, and since they are completely different, I don´t find the point of comparing them, specially since is possible that DC didn´t arrive to its full portential given the life-cycle are not comparable.

I have both, I enjoy both, I win. Flawless victory.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The Dreamcast supported a lot of advanced effects which have only recently started to see good usage in games. Being so early with the functionality and getting discontinued so quickly by January 2001 (with internal developer focus beginning to shift over a year earlier even), it really left a lot of untapped potential. It had barely turned two years old.

Design is the factor chiefly responsible for the look of a game, which is why Pong or Joust from an Atari Anthology pack can still look like Pong or Joust on modern consoles. It's what allows some games to look timeless, yet it's also the unfortunate culprit of bad modeling that causes many games, especially older ones that could compare from the DC era, to look so dated. Well modeled DC games needn't be particularly wanting for geometry, like the World Series Baseball line, Samba de Amigo, F355, Sonic Adventure 2, etc. shows.

dark10x,
The DC hardware subscribed to the old PC ideal of "detail via textures".
There are no such ideals. The PS2 would've needed over an order of magnitude more polygon performance than it had in order to be able to offer polygons as some kind of substitute paradigm for texture detail over the Dreamcast. The reason the PS2 did more geometry wasn't because of a difference in philosophy; it was because it came out later and cost more. When the T&L era rolled around with the GeForce and the PS2, the DC architecture did a lot of polygons too with ELAN.
It was beyond any PC at the time, of course,
In actuality, the FPU on the DC's SH-4 was ahead of its time and helped to give the system quite impressive geometry performance. There probably wasn't another system that could sustain as many polygons until the T&L era started over a year later.
but it still relied heavily on the usage of flat textures to make up for lack of geometric detail.
Any system with lower poly power would have to use textures to make up for the detail of a more powerful system. The PS2 would have to rely on flat textures too in order to model the extra geometry that the Xbox provides.
Initially, the DC could hang with the PS2 due to textures and IQ, but PS2 has more than caught up in the texture department
The DC's PVR vector quantization allows it to handle the variety of nice, big textures that Sonic Adventure 2 uses and that aren't matched in PS2 games, including Sonic Hereos.
and is starting to offer 480p on more and more titles these days (usually the most impressive looking titles as well).
The PS2 is not balanced for proscan as well as DC. The limited framebuffer space prevents even top titles like Champion's of Norrath, Gran Turismo, and Killzone from rendering with a full height front buffer necessary for proscan. A separate mode with a different framebuffer also must be set up to allow the output on PS2, making it less automatic and less likely for devs to bother.
Image quality and texture abilities were really the ONLY areas where DC stood ahead of PS2. They are far from the most important aspects.
Image qualities act very globally upon graphics and are therefore among the largest and most visible contributors to the overall impression. IQ is a reflection of whether things were rendered well or whether they had to be shortcutted. Lower image qualities result from lower precision renderings.

The largest difference in workload and visuals between pre-rendered CG and real-time graphics is in IQ.
Multi-sampling was supported,
The DC supports FSAA via supersampling and has an architecture especially suited to performing it.
PS2 had a very rocky start, but it still managed to step up to the plate with much higher polygon counts, better lighting abilities
It can do more complex vertex lighting. The DC has acceleration for per-pixel lighting in its dot-product bump mapping and is faster for volumetric lighting and shadowing effects.
and tons of effects that had never been seen before in games (the famous post processing effects found in many PS2 games were unheard of prior to the PS2).
Well, not to the same quality at least. On the other hand, the DC's volumetirc performance can be great for all sorts of special effects like fog, fire, and water.
Also, from a percentage standpoint, there are more 3D 60 fps titles on PS2 than any other console in history.
Framerate is chiefly a design choice. But anyway, 60% of PS2 games run at 30 fps or less. The Xbox, GC, and DC may be comparatively stocked with 60 fps titles.
As I've said many times before, I'm not impressed with the DC VGA adaptor.
The VGA signal is of the highest quality.

Arguments about demographics are not relevant to technical matters. Besides, a signal is not related to a TV/monitor set's imaging characteristics, the imaging characteristics of sets are not tied to broad labels like PC-monitor/arcade-monitor/HDTV, VGA compatible high-quality arcade monitors can be bought from Wells Gardner if personal preference is the issue, and there are HDTVs which support VGA if personal preference is the issue.
A lot of DC games had that "nVidia TNT 16-bit color" look...which is to say that it just looked ultra grainy. 16-bit color doesn't necessarily mean something will have that appearance ya know...but DC certainly did in most cases.
Color integrity on DC is superior to PS2. The DC performs all color operations at 32-bit precision, so output even into a 16-bit buffer would retain similar integrity to full 32bpp. The PS2, relying on its raw fillrate to render many passes for the more advanced effects, dithers the colors again at each alpha blend.

ypo,
Voodoo 1 was superior to DC. 800x600 > 640x480.
DC goes higher than that.

dark10x,
Using textures to make up for lack of geometry is a HORRIBLE idea that I am glad is in the past. It was necessary back then, but that is no longer the case.
The alpha bushes when you look outside the bedroom window in Silent Hill 4 or the alpha hair/grass in so many modern titles demonstrate that the problem is the same as always and just relative to its time.
I don't believe the DC could produce the types of effects the PS2 was doing.
The DC could do the type of effects, just not to the same degree. There were motion trails and cross dissolves in Dead or Alive 2 during the Kasumi vs Kasumi cinematic and during the Tengu introduction, Virtua Tennis does motion trails in replay shots, and other distortion effects were used in various games.

Tsubaki,
Some of Team Andromeda's members went to Overworks. The other members went to Smilebit.
One of the dev leads now works at Microsoft, and some of the staff went to UGA too. They're really all over, yet still concentrated within SEGA.

dark10x,
Please show me any DC game that displays depth of field properly.
There's no such thing a "proper" DOF.
Regardless, the first two games run at 60 fps during gameplay...but while those effects are being used, the framerate is 30 fps.
Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 drops to 30 fps when it uses those effects most intensely, as well.
If it was SO EASY for the DC, why did every single developer fail to take advantage of it?
Those effects haven't been used in many games for any system, let alone when DC still had decent dev support back in 2000.
and the lack of mipmapping combined with the limited draw distance actually creates a sharper image.
It creates a more defective image. You raise resolution exclusively if you want increased sharpness. Lack of mipmapping is a technical downgrade; the engineers of the algorithm didn't waste transistors on an effect to make graphics worse.

The Graphics Synthesizer selects mip levels based only on how far a pixel is from the viewpoint. However, the rate at which the position within the texture is changing between pixels must be accounted for or else mip selection can't be counted on to suppress alaising. The DC is more sophisticated for this and does it right.

The DC version of Ecco has the advantage of proscan.
Code Veronica PS2 was proven to look EXACTLY the same as the GC version which in turn looks just like the DC version.
The DC version has the advantage of proscan.
Ports are not a good judgement of machine ability, but in this case, the PS2 handled each of them very well.
Two consoles that have respective advantages can't handle each other's games just as well if those games are truly representative of their platform's capabilities.

Some of the developers whose games were downgraded by getting ported from DC to PS2 were Visual Concepts with NFL 2K2 and NBA 2K2, Melbourne House with Test Drive Lemans, AM2 with F355, Bioware with MDK2, Amuze with Headhunter, Acclaim with Crazy Taxi, and many others.

Socreges

Banned
The DC really did get off to a better start than the PS2. But I'm not sure what that's worth, if anything. The PS2 now has a much better library, in my mind. The first 7 months or so were rough, besides the launch, but it finished out the year with a bunch of gems (DMC, Ico, GTA3) and has kept up the pace since. DC support was going to decline regardless of Sega announcing it dead or not.

dark10x

I don't feel like addressing ALL of those points, but I will say that I disagree with most of them...

However...

Those effects haven't been used in many games for any system, let alone when DC still had decent dev support back in 2000.

Bull.shit.

What are you playing Lazy? I can tell you right now that framebuffer effects are used in ~55 of the 100 games I own on PS2. It is VERY common in PS2 games and is something I've always enjoyed. It's a very nice effect and adds a lot to the visuals. Right from the VERY first titles (like Ridge Racer V), things like depth of field were already being used.

There's no such thing a "proper" DOF.

You KNOW damn well what depth of field is, right? Don't play dumb here. Name ANY title on DC that was able to display depth of field.

The PS2 would have to rely on flat textures too in order to model the extra geometry that the Xbox provides.

Untrue. The difference between PS2 and XBOX in terms of geometry abilities are very minor in comparison to the difference between DC and PS2.

The limited framebuffer space prevents even top titles like Champion's of Norrath, Gran Turismo, and Killzone from rendering with a full height front buffer necessary for proscan.

Killzone uses a full height front buffer. Star Ocean 3 runs in progressive scan and displays engine capibilities similar to CoN (with superior texturing). Burnout 3 also runs in progressive scan and seems to sport greater texture variety than GT4.

The DC supports FSAA via supersampling and has an architecture especially suited to performing it.

Ah, supersampling. That's what I meant. It was feature pushed heavily by NEC/Videologic prior the release of the PVR2. I do not believe that it was capable of using this in a high-stress environment. Even new video hardware such as the 6800 GT has issues with AA at times. Regardless, cut through the crap and name DC titles that used supersampling.

Color integrity on DC is superior to PS2.

While you may speaks with technical facts, I speak with personal experience. I have SEEN the difference for myself and the DC produces a grainier picture in most cases.

Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 drops to 30 fps when it uses those effects most intensely, as well.

...but guess what? Many games do not.

OK, enough of this...

You can attempt to contest all of this as much as you please, but I want proof. System potential doesn't matter to me. Many of the lighting effects and frame buffer effects that are VERY common in PS2 titles have never appeared in a DC title as far as I know.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:
Just a quick list...

You already got ICO and Katamari Damashii (which are two GREAT games)...

Here's a few...

Fantavision
Sky Odyssey
Gitaroo Man
Sky Gunner
Rez
Bravo Music
Samurai
Disaster Report (Zettai Zetsumei Toshi)
Amplitude
Frequency
Bombastic
Siren
Eye-Toy
Dog's Life

Do you have a similar list for DC available (including only US released games)?

Hey, you forgot about games like Shox, Gregory Horror Show, Gungrave, Shadows of Destiny, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tactics, SingStar! :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It can do more complex vertex lighting. The DC has acceleration for per-pixel lighting in its dot-product bump mapping and is faster for volumetric lighting and shadowing effects.

Per-pixel lighting would have still required one extra pass for the geometry and the set-up costs for it were not nil (else why adding support for DOT3 set-up in Ealn ?).

The Dreamcast is not faster for volumetric effects like Stencil based Shadow Volumes: Volume Modifiers allowed some hardware accelleration (parallel to normal rendering), but the performance on Stencil Shadow Volumes on Dreamcast would still be quite lower than on PlayStation 2.

Fill-rate and CPU processing speed when extracting the shadow volumes are very important and in both areas PlayStation 2 has the upper-hand.

segasonic

8 MB VRAM+ S3 Texture Compression

MipMapping

Shenmue 1 & 2

Samba de Amigo

JSR

Toy Commander

Superior versions of Virtua Tennis, Headhunter and F355 Challenge

No EA games

XS+

Banned
Hey, I'm not a tech-savvy individual, but I'm playing CV LoI right now, and I'm seeing random framebuffer effects (map screen, opening doors etc) that look a lot like what was seen in DoA2 for DC. What's the difference between the FX in CV and DoA2?

dark10x

XS+ said:
Hey, I'm not a tech-savvy individual, but I'm playing CV LoI right now, and I'm seeing random framebuffer effects (map screen, opening doors etc) that look a lot like what was seen in DoA2 for DC. What's the difference between the FX in CV and DoA2?

What, those cross fades? There probably isn't a great difference between those two examples, but that's not the point. Those cross fades do not even begin to represent what the PS2 can really do when dealing with framebuffer effects. Know what I mean?

Also of odd note, the cross fades used in DOA2 on DC actually slowdown to 30 fps while active, for some reason. The previous scene becomes a static texture, I'd assume, and the new 3D scene is blended into the previous texture or something. While the fading is occuring, the framerate is 30 fps.

Oh, and Pana, could you back me up a bit here? While I am fully aware of what I am witnessing, I'm hardly an expert in regards to the actual techniques being employed here. Could you actually answer some of my questions? People are claiming that the DC is perfectly capable of many of these effects...but I have yet to see any proof whatsoever. There are lighting effects, frame buffer effects, and shadows present in many PlayStation 2 games that simply have no equal on the DC. How could I possibly believe the DC is able to EASILY render these effects when no retail game has ever done so?

Simple example. Right from the PS2 launch, you had Ridge Racer V. The sunlight effects, the depth of field, the and general area lighting all look lovely and are very different from anything I've seen on DC. Despite the jaggy image quality, it has an appearance that was never matched on DC. Almost like a richness of colors that looked more realistic while DC games typically had a more cartoonish appearance. These types of lighting effects are very common PS2 and have been enhanced well beyond what was seen in RRV. However, I've never even seen a DC title pull that off.

The problem is that people like Lazy8s claim this to be EASY for the DC to do. If that was the case, why was it never accomplished? THAT'S what I don't understand. Same with the overbright and bloom lighting effects in ICO. If it was so easy to use on DC, why were there never any light points that demonstrated those effects? These things are common in PS2 titles (even right from the start), but were never seen on DC.

Explain please! :)

Okay, quick question, how was Gregory Horror Show? What's it like? How does it play? No one can seem to give me a straight answer.

Plus, any know anything about Super Galadec Girls [sic]?

Gantz

Banned
Socreges said:
The DC really did get off to a better start than the PS2. But I'm not sure what that's worth, if anything. The PS2 now has a much better library, in my mind. The first 7 months or so were rough, besides the launch, but it finished out the year with a bunch of gems (DMC, Ico, GTA3) and has kept up the pace since. DC support was going to decline regardless of Sega announcing it dead or not.

There's so much shovelware in the vast PS2 library though. Out of all the crap there's maybe 10 games worth owning. The DC had more IMO.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Just to clarify on the whole DOF (depth of field) thing...

When a lens focuses on a subject at a distance, all subjects at that distance are sharply focused. Subjects that are not at the same distance are out of focus and theoretically are not sharp. However, since human eyes cannot distinguish very small degree of unsharpness, some subjects that are in front of and behind the sharply focused subjects can still appear sharp. The zone of acceptable sharpness is referred to as the depth of field. Thus, increasing the depth of field increases the sharpness of an image. We can use smaller apertures for increasing the depth of field.

By that definition, wouldn't mipmap banding kind of sort of qualify?

Insertia

Gantz said:
There's so much shovelware in the vast PS2 library though. Out of all the crap there's maybe 10 games worth owning. The DC had more IMO.

If that were the case PS2 would be dead and gone while DC would be thriving.

I'm not arguing about shovelware, because the most successful console will always recieve the most the most crap (see Gameboy).

But when it comes to quality games PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DC.

Heck, among some DC fans, Headhunter is considered 'quality gaming'. lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

You miss the point. The PS2 after 1.5 years, vs DC after 1.5 years... The DC comes out on top.

As Shadow and others pointed out, you can't really include post-DC PS2 content.

XS+

Banned
Gantz said:
DC's also has its share of worthless shovelware ported from PSX's library..

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
^^

You miss the point. The PS2 after 1.5 years, vs DC after 1.5 years... The DC comes out on top.

No it doesn't. MGS2, Silent Hill 2, ICO, Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, The Bouncer, Tekken Tag and Zone of the Enders were all released within the first 1.5 years of life. The DC's entire lifespan doesn't even touch those games, let alone the first 1.5 years. What did the DC have during its first 1.5 years? Code Veronica, MDK2, Sonic Adventure, DOA2, Soul Calibur, Draconus, Rayman 2, Crazy Taxi, etc. Do you REALLY think those games are more impressive?!

Now, if you were referring to game quality. The ".5" of the PS2's first 1.5 years of life was EXTREMELY strong and places it above the DC simply for that. MGS2, SH2, ICO, and FFX were all very memorable games. Of course, if you don't like those types of games...you probably would disagree.

By that definition, wouldn't mipmap banding kind of sort of qualify?

Not at all.

The effect being discussed here is a focus effect. If the camera is focusing on foreground objects, the background becomes blurred. Here's a quick shot of what I'm talking about. Notice how the two characters in the background are out of focus? It's a common cinema effect and is used very often in PS2 games. It is something that impresses me a lot and allows a game to look closer to CG. You find these in many PS2, XBOX, and GC titles today.

mgs2_screen003.jpg

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am a sports man, and DC had the best basketball game I have ever played.... i would give anything for NBA 2k2 again... and the ports were horibble, and if EA supported dreamcast , we would have been ok....

jarrod

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
^^

1.5 years from JP release or US release? Because DC had a pitiful 1st year in Japan, almost as bad as PS2 imo (and far worse than Saturn/PS1).

And should games like Ikaruga or Puyo Fever count for DC then?

dark10x

jarrod said:
1.5 years from JP release or US release? Because DC had a pitiful 1st year in Japan, almost as bad as PS2 imo (and far worse than Saturn/PS1).

And should games like Ikaruga or Puyo Fever count for DC then?

I originally brought up the "1.5" year thing, and it was actually a rather rough "~1.5" years. So, really, it's more like November 1998 - August 2000 for DC and March 2000 - December 2001 for PS2. I suppose if we were being REALLY strict and looking ONLY at exactly 1.5 years, the PS2 would probably still win in my book (though there would be more question). The ".5" of that 1.5 would include Twisted Metal Black, Klonoa 2, Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill 2, and ICO.

If we extended that a bit, you'd also get Grand Theft Auto 3, MGS2, FFX, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, Soul Reaver 2, THPS3, and more. The PS2 was VERY strong during the second half of 2001...but it really did take just that long to become so. The PS2's first year in Japan was AWFUL. The DC's first year in Japan wasn't a WHOLE lot better...but it did have some really good titles released for it during that time.

Lazy8s

dark10x,
I can tell you right now that framebuffer effects are used
The statement was in response to the ICO lighting effects which weren't seeing much usage earlier because they were relatively recent advancement in the craft of videogame design and are very sensitive to the theme and context of the game.

As for fillrate intensive, cinematic framerate effects, DC uses them, but obviously the PS2 is better for them.
You KNOW damn well what depth of field is, right?
You said "displays depth of field properly" as if some systems pulled the effect off with perfect precision. They don't.
Name ANY title on DC that was able to display depth of field.
It can be done to varying degrees of effectiveness as, for example, is demonstrated by its primitive usage in Metal Gear Solid that was run on DC while the system was emulating the PlayStation through Bleem!
Untrue. The difference between PS2 and XBOX in terms of geometry abilities are very minor in comparison to the difference between DC and PS2.
Degree of relativity is not support for your claim of absoluteness. If a machine does less polys, there's no other option but to model with textures - for every comparison.

Anyway, while the PS2 can sustain around 2.5x the poly rate of DC, the characteristic ranges for polygon performance among the games of the two platforms overlap each other.
Killzone uses a full height front buffer.
No, the system couldn't pull off proscan with Killzone. The developer's quote:

"Implementing progressive scan would mean a severe reduction in texture memory. It would be impossible for us to support progressive scan whilst keeping our high level of graphical detail."
While you may speaks with technical facts, I speak with personal experience.
Don't argue the technical aspects if you're not prepared to accept the truth. You speak with anecdotal evidence which is limited by definition, ignores the fact that design work is the prime influence on a game's look and can create sloppy exceptions to any technical rule, is probably slanted based upon the cables/display on which you viewed, and quite simply does not change the truth.
The problem is that people like Lazy8s claim this to be EASY for the DC to do.
No, the PS2 can quite clearly do fillrate intensive effects to a better degree than DC.

nitewulf

dark, the DOF that you are referring to is "shallow". by itself DOF does not reffer to any sort of effect, its just "depth of field". you have to quantify it.
its the shallow DOF that will focus on the foreground and blur out the background (this is whats used in MGS2/3, wreckless etc for stylistic purposes). as opposed to a deep DOF which will focus on the foreground and at infinity.

aside from that, carry on. i think the PS2 is a lot more powerful and DC wasnt gonna be able to keep up graphically, had development continued. just technology folks. the present 3 systems are a lot more comparable in terms of power, and this will repeat in next gen. had dreamcast used a faster processor, more ram and a video board with hardwired effects processing like the Geforces, it would have fared a lot better graphically.

dark10x

It can be done to varying degrees of effectiveness as, for example, is demonstrated by its primitive usage in Metal Gear Solid that was run on DC while the system was emulating the PlayStation through Bleem!

Ah ha, you are incorrect there. Perhaps the largest flaw with Bleemcast was that those effects were NOT emulated (much like early PC PSX emulators). All of the limited frame buffer effects used in MGS were not present in the Bleemcast version. Any other examples?

You said "displays depth of field properly" as if some systems pulled the effect off with perfect precision. They don't.

You're right, forgive me. I can think of no DC games that used it AT ALL. That's the problem.

No, the system couldn't pull off proscan with Killzone.

Hold on a second...

Many PS2 games use field rendering, so their effective resolution is 640x224. Killzone uses the same resolution as Metal Gear Solid 2. Now, using a special adaptor, you can actually force many PS2 games to run in progressive scan mode. Field rendered games do not function in progscan, but games such as MGS2 (which run at a full 640x448) work perfectly. What more would the developers have to do in order to include support for true progressive scan output? It seems that many games are already doing the work, but just don't actually natively output in full resolution (yet they are capable of doing so). CoN and GT4 both use field rendering, I believe, so they could not possibly be displayed using that adaptor.

Don't argue the technical aspects if you're not prepared to accept the truth.

See, I don't know how to go about answering this, though...

I have played several PS2 titles on a VGA monitor as well as MANY Dreamcast titles. Using the same monitor, Dreamcast titles always exhibit rather grainy visuals while those PS2 games did not. The PS2 games LOOKED like 32-bit color, even if they were not. Much like Voodoo 3's 16-bit output was free of those grainy artifacts while the TNT was filled with them. Can you explain this? If, in fact, the DC is rendering with greater color precision, WHY does it look grainier in comparison to the PS2?

For the record, I have witnessed Primal, SSX3, Jak 2, and Soul Calibur 2 running on a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF monitor. Same goes for my entire DC library.

If what you say is true, it honestly makes little sense to me. Why do PS2 games fail to suffer from the grainy colors found in most DC titles?

Keep in mind that, you might be right in regards to many other titles. I can tell that some PS2 titles are quite grainy (such as Devil May Cry and Dragon Quarter) even when viewing them through a line doubler...but a LOT of games really do not seem to be. At the very least, those 4 titles displayed on a PC monitor were much cleaner and more colorful than any of my Dreamcast games (though Jak 2 was a bit chunky looking).

dark, the DOF that you are referring to is "shallow". by itself DOF does not reffer to any sort of effect, its just "depth of field". you have to quantify it.

Shallow eh? Cool, thanks! What other types of depth of field exist?

Lazy8s

dark10x,
Many PS2 games use field rendering,
Only around 5% use half-height display buffers actually, but some of the top titles.
so their effective resolution is 640x224.
Their effective resolution is 640x448 - that's the image effectively created by the two interweaved fields. They just do it with half the solidity.
Killzone uses the same resolution as Metal Gear Solid 2.
Perhaps Metal Gear uses a full height frontmost buffer.
Can you explain this?
I can't identify with that scenario because DC color looks comparatively better on my display as it should. Maybe you're just picking up on bad design assets and have overgeneralized the interpretation you took away from the experience.

dark10x

>Perhaps Metal Gear uses a full height frontmost buffer.

It isn't just Metal Gear, though. A lot of PS2 games function with this. The ONLY problem games have seems to be related to the MPEG2 functions. On some games, FMV can crash the game when running in this progressive mode. Silent Hill 3, for example, supports progressive via this adaptor...but if you let the video intro play (perhaps the only video in the game), it will crash. Kinda strange, eh?

>I can't identify with that scenario because DC color looks comparatively better on my display as it should. Maybe you're just picking up on bad design assets and have overgeneralized the interpretation you took away from the experience.[/QUOTE]

Well, what are you testing? Which PS2 games do you own? Which PS2 games have you tested on that same monitor? I'm not referring to assets here, not at all. Some DC games are much worse than others, though, which is why it could be that those 4 PS2 titles I've tested on a PC monitor just happen to be 4 that don't suffer from the same issue. Sonic 2, Soul Calibur, and DOA2 are almost perfect. Most games that I own are quite grainy on my monitor, though.

I just want to know YOUR test setup. Which monitor are you using for testing, which games, etc etc...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
segasonic said:
8 MB VRAM+ S3 Texture Compression

MipMapping

Shenmue 1 & 2

Samba de Amigo

JSR

Toy Commander

Superior versions of Virtua Tennis, Headhunter and F355 Challenge

No EA games

Dreamcast used VQ not S3TC: Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 did not use Mip-mapping.

dark10x

P90, I've already explained what I meant.

The cinematic effect where, say, an object near the camera is clear while objects in the background appear blurred. You know what I mean?

OK, well, erm...I guess you did see what I meant then.

One more thing I would like to know...

What was preventing the DC from displaying lighting effects like this...

1.jpg

That type of lighting has been present in PS2 games from day 1, yet I've NEVER seen anything like that on Dreamcast. Why exactly? What is it about those effects that prevented DC developers from using it? Surely there was a reason for it...

I have always thought that type of intense light was really beautiful to behold, even though it seems like a simple effect.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anything with a frame buffer can do glow and blur effects and it was seen on PS1 and N64 though in very special case scenarios.
Haha, yeah. But do you even realize how much fillrate speed is important for this kind of effects to be used efficiently, and in a complex manner, and just how much Dreamcast is slower in that than PS2? Sure, you can do that 'type' of effects on DC, but nothing nearly as complex as what can be done on PS2.

ypo

"What was preventing the DC from displaying lighting effects like this..."

Probably the same mysterious force that's preventing Bump Mapping on DC. You should try asking that question at beyond3d.com :D

Lazy8s

dark10x,
Which monitor are you using for testing, which games, etc etc...
Switching from a DC in both composite and S-video on a range of TVs (a 35-inch Mitsubishi set mainly) to a DC in VGA on an unbranded 19-inch monitor which shipped with a PC bundle has always resulted in much richer and more vibrant colors.

Panajev2001a,
Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 did not use Mip-mapping.
MipMapping and Shenmue weren't being related to one another on that list. They were just separate advantages being listed.

The Shenmue games for the most part didn't use mipmapping, but there were some scenes like when it was applied to the desert floor in Xuiying's flashback with her brother.

ypo,
Probably the same mysterious force that's preventing Bump Mapping on DC.
It used the bump mapping in a Windows CE Tomb Raider port, but nothing was going to redeem the game which was basically left at PSone quality.

Back to topic, Virtua Tennis is justification for the Dreamcast alone... so much playability:

One of the only photorealistic looking games to actually do it from the angle at which you play.
vortal_pic_13436.jpg

Good presentation.
vortal_pic_13431.jpg

Nice LOD work for a fully modeled 3D crowd on close-ups.
bg26.jpg

Cinematic replays.
bg19.jpg

Top Bottom