• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
RE4 and Red Steel sold extremely well on Wii, despite the fact that the latter was a piece of shit.
The Wii third party situation was a whole mess of factors, but reduced to a simple chain basically "third parties think Wii won't do that well (a perfectly understandable assumption) -> third parties invest in PS360 -> Wii takes off -> Third parties go "shit...all of our eggs are in the HD basket"

Poor example. Ubisoft is absolutely Nintendo's #1 third party and they never let up their support, but even Ubisoft couldn't rationalize putting their major IPs like Assasin's Creed ont he Wii.

Stephen Colbert said:
Seriously, making that many fakes is an awful lot of work.
So so so so many fakes have had similar things said about them. Some people just like to go all the way.
Pyrokai said:
And omg people stop using slide pads instead of analog sticks. You're scaring the crap out of me.
M74 said:
This. Stop giving them (bad) ideas!
If there's a touch screen in the middle they want you to have access to without completely letting go of one side of the controller, it might be advantageous to not have something as tall as a stick in the way of the thumb.

Deku

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
I predict the use of China Blue HD (CBHD), which is absolutely nothing like
(read: almost exactly like)
HD-DVD.

What's your rationale for this.

If Nintendo is still working with Panasonic, they will likely get NoD (Nintendo optical Disc) format revised to support BR laser. Whether it supports movies or not is up to Nintendo, but given that apparently one of the selling points of this console is streaming movies, it may well support movie playback,

JoshuaJSlone said:
So so so so many fakes have had similar things said about them. Some people just like to go all the way.

If there's a touch screen in the middle they want you to have access to without completely letting go of one side of the controller, it might be advantageous to not have something as tall as a stick in the way of the thumb.

In the early GameCube days, you used to be able to assess the quality of a third-party GameCube controller based on how well the analog stick worked with Super Monkey Ball.

I just got done playing through Super Monkey Ball 3D and can safely report that although the analog Circle Pad is very, very nice, it is NOT quite as precise as an analog stick "proper" is. Making super-subtle movements and maintaining them is very, very difficult.

Unless the slide pads move significantly further than the 3DS ones, I'm not so big a fan of the analog sticks being converted into recessed, nub-style analogs.

midonnay

I thought the whole point of having a dvd player without movie capabilities was to avoid paying licensing fees.

why couldn't they do the same with bluray?

Deku said:
What's your rationale for this.

If Nintendo is still working with Panasonic, they will likely get NoD (Nintendo optical Disc) format revised to support BR laser. Whether it supports movies or not is up to Nintendo, but given that apparently one of the selling points of this console is streaming movies, it may well support movie playback,

Just a bit of tongue-in-cheekery.

I think the proprietary format for games is probably a go. Nintendo has stuck with custom DVD-based media formats but locked themselves out of DVD playback ability in the past (digital audio out is absent on Wii units but required for proper DVD player specifications). However, I'm sure they recognize that high-def assets require higher capacity media. And Hideki Konno has said in an interview that, as a company, they're moving a bit more toward media functionality. I think Blu-ray Disc playback for movies and a Blu-ray/HD-DVD/CBHD-like proprietary format for games is the way they'll go.

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of no Blu-ray playback. Nintendo tends to be unpredictable like that, and it would save them on licensing fees.

midonnay

Lupin the Wolf said:
And Hideki Konno has said in an interview that, as a company, they're moving a bit more toward media functionality. I think Blu-ray Disc playback for movies and a Blu-ray/HD-DVD/CBHD-like proprietary format for games is the way they'll go.

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of no Blu-ray playback. Nintendo tends to be unpredictable like that.

but Nintendo's recent history points to netflix type solution rather that physical media

beje said:
- Those would be overkill for a closed box. Don't want to think about power consumption and refrigeration. Also expensive as fuck for a console GPU.
- Would drive up the price for no reason, as very few people would get advantage of it. Better get 8GB of flash, enough for a lifetime of saves and a handful of eShop games. Besides, it would add noise, heat and take a fuck ton of space. Still give the option if someone ever wants to use it.
You're probably looking at a $800 console the size of a MicroATX PC box there.
800? No. Cheaper thant that. Not overkill for a closed box that might release at the end of 2012 and need to last 4-5 years more. That doesn't mean Nintendo would go for such specs, just in case anyone starts debating.

8GB of flash maybe enough for save games, but not for other functions like extra gaming content, game installs or cache functionality.
midonnay said:
but Nintendo's recent history points to netflix type solution rather that physical media
You are absolutly right. Use a stream service for movie playback and not a BD disk for example. Anything that can drop cents from licesing fees.

midonnay said:

And that may be what he meant. The description for Nintendo 3DS Cash Cards recently listed "Video on Demand" as an item that can be bought with the eShop's Wallet funds. It's not unreasonable to assume that they only meant digital media support.

That being said, I do hope they offer Blu-ray Disc playback, as it wouldn't be terribly cost-prohibitive. They could at least spec the system in a way that Blu-ray playback could be an unlockable feature and actually follow through this time on selling it through their console eShop equivalent....

Lupin the Wolf said:
That being said, I do hope they offer Blu-ray Disc playback, as it wouldn't be terribly cost-prohibitive. They could at least spec the system in a way that Blu-ray playback could be an unlockable feature and actually follow through this time on selling it through their console eShop equivalent....
No, because Nintendo would have to eat the licensing costs upfront. And the user might pay or not for the unlocking feature. So its not asured money.
Eteric Rice said:
Well, they've eaten the costs on MP3s in the 3DS, so they must be willing to eat some licensing costs.
Hi Eteric. First let's get away of generalizations, i´m talking about the most likely scenario.

Of course Nintendo eats licensing costs or do you thing Bluetooth on the Wii its free? But eating costs for a Blu Ray movie playback function is not economically smart when they already have stream movie support sorted out.
Deku said:
History is not predictive of anything, only general helpful.

Posters tend to think linearly but I think Nintendo recognizes the benefits of media playback to get their platform more casual use.
Of course is not predictive of anything, but common sense is really useful. We didn't get DVD playback on Wii, but streaming was a go. So why eat the licensing costs of a feature that may not be used so often?

Eteric Rice

Refreshment.01 said:
No, because Nintendo would have to eat the licensing costs upfront. And the user might pay or not for the unlocking feature. So its not asured money.

Well, they've eaten the costs on MP3s in the 3DS, so they must be willing to eat some licensing costs.

Deku

Banned
History is not predictive of anything, only general helpful.

Posters tend to think linearly but I think Nintendo recognizes the benefits of media playback to get their platform more casual use.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ThoseDeafMutes said:
My dreamland specs:

- 6000/7000 series Radeon architecture, custom video card solution drawing ~80-90W. Roughly on par with 5870 cards in raw performance.
- 4GB GDDR5 unified memory pool.
- Quad Core, low draw AMD CPU.
- 500GB hard drive standard with every model.
- Blu-ray drive that is faster than the one in the PS3.
- Full steamworks integration; use of steamworks mandatory for online-games.
- Cures cancer.
How much are you willing to pay for that? Because that wouldn't be $300.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
thetrin said:
How much are you willing to pay for that? Because that wouldn't be $300.

so 300 is all you're willing to pay to cure cancer? You cheap bastard...

Eteric Rice

Refreshment.01 said:
Hi Eteric. First let's get away of generalizations, talking about the most likely scenario.

Of course Nintendo eats licensing costs or do you thing Bluetooth on the Wii its free? But eating costs for a Blu Ray movie playback function is not economically smart when they already have stream movie support sorted out.

Oh, for movie playback? I dunno, they might do it, might not. They're unpredictable in that case.

Using blu-ray for their games would potentially be beneficial. While a blu-ray disc may cost more to make, it has a lot of benefits. More durable and what not. Nintendo likes durable.

Teknoman

Wouldnt the system have to use blu ray anyway, since thats the format that "won"? Of course, it seems like cartridges/cards can make a come back too. That would just be strange in this day and age.

Vinci

Danish
Nintendo may use Blu-Ray, but I doubt it, and it's absolutely impossible that they'll have the thing able to play movies. No chance of that ever happening. They've been clear about that for generations now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ElectricBlanketFire said:
Any thoughts on what the last "big surprise" about the console might be?

- Blu-ray
- Large hard drive
- No friend codes

These should all be givens but with Nintendo they're surprises.

I'd be able to predict much better if we knew if it was a software or hardware surprise.

M3d10n

big_z said:
they wont go blu-ray and neither will microsoft. giving money to sony is not in their interests.
There's one or two Sony components inside the Wii. I don't remember exactly what it is. Also, I believe Sony and MS pay Nintendo for some patent or two.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vinci said:
Nintendo may use Blu-Ray, but I doubt it, and it's absolutely impossible that they'll have the thing able to play movies. No chance of that ever happening. They've been clear about that for generations now.

The Wii was supposed to be able to play DVD movies by default.

Then it was supposed to play them through an add-on.

Then it was supposed to play them through a new model of Wii.

I think Nintendo just got distracted with the Wii, and of course streaming a movie from a DVD increases the risk of console failure.

Andrex said:
- Blu-ray
- Large hard drive
- No friend codes

These should all be givens but with Nintendo they're surprises.

I'd be able to predict much better if we knew if it was a software or hardware surprise.

3DS still has one. it ain't happening

Taker666

ElectricBlanketFire said:
Any thoughts on what the last "big surprise" about the console might be?

They are bundling a wireless 3D VR headset...and the console can stream a seperate image to each eye. :-D

...well maybe not...but it would be a nice add-on for Holiday 2014.

Eteric Rice said:
Oh, for movie playback? I dunno, they might do it, might not. They're unpredictable in that case.

Using blu-ray for their games would potentially be beneficial. While a blu-ray disc may cost more to make, it has a lot of benefits. More durable and what not. Nintendo likes durable.
Yes, i was talking about movie play back from BluRay disks. Going with Blu Ray for games, i think its a viable option. Because if Nintendo went with DVD then the HardDisk would be required for installs. Chances for Nintendo to include a harddrive by default are close to zero. But an optional hard drive is almost asured.

Deku

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Of course is not predictive of anything, but common sense is really useful. We didn't get DVD playback on Wii, but streaming was a go. So why eat the licensing costs of a feature that may not be used so often?

I'm not disagreeing and I see the point of saying it may not make economic sense for it.

but I think you have to temper that conventional wisdom with the fact that Nintendo has never been this media friendly in its history. It has dabbled, but Netflix taking off on Wii seems to have lit a fire. They recognize its appeal to the casual user who may want to do more so I can see the rationale for including movie playbox out of the box.

It makes the machine more appealing during game droughts too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Vinci said:
They aren't going to risk the increased optical drive failure rates that will occur if they allow movie playback or music playback for that matter

Shin Johnpv said:
8.5 gigs is only not enough space when you add in HD video for cutscenes, and HD and uncompressed audio formats.

Which is why you don't do HD video or audio! :)

Remember Gunpei Yokoi's saying "lateral thinking on withered technology."

It will be using cheap parts in interesting ways. Not cutting edge anything.

Kinan

ThoseDeafMutes said:
My dreamland specs:

- 6000/7000 series Radeon architecture, custom video card solution drawing ~80-90W. Roughly on par with 5870 cards in raw performance. - 200$
- 4GB GDDR5 unified memory pool. - 100$
- Quad Core, low draw AMD CPU. -100$
- 500GB hard drive standard with every model. -40$
- Blu-ray drive that is faster than the one in the PS3. -100$
- Cures cancer. - 59$

Total: 599$!

Oh, wait...

Last one.

Ek8ze.png

mik83kuu

Banned
I have mixed feelings about the new system:

Cons:
- I cincerely wanted Nintendo to enter the next generation with powerful enough system to compete with PS4, Xbox 720 and
Dreamcast 2
. I'm disappointed :-(
- What's with the single-touch screen? Please don't have a stylus!

Pros:
- Basically Wii HD is enough. 720p or even 1080p rendering for Wii style games (new and BC) would most certainly drain my wallet
- I predict
100% compatibility with Wii's controller for new games, not just BC
- I predict
3DS works as a controller
and that's a plus

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm kinda tired. Sorry if I'm going on with dated info or something

Expectations:

3-4 core OOO PowerPC CPU - Slower than 3.2ghz in clock speed, but faster per clock cycle than the Xenon by a large margin. A bit like the difference between a Pentium 4 and any Intel CPU that came afterwards other than the Atom.

GPU based on the HD 4770 as a GPU and a memory controller. The HD 4770 is the die shrink that preceded the customization work.

1GB GDDR5. 2 would be nice, but the expectation is 1.

Blue Laser based Optical Drive. This could be BD-ROM without all the codec and playback licenses. If they at all believe that eventual BluRay support will help them out, it will be a codec/playback stripped blu-ray. They can add support later if there's a point to it.

Both controllers packed into the box. Wiimote 3, Nunchuck 2, and Cafe controller 1.

poppabk

Shin Johnpv said:
8.5 gigs is only not enough space when you add in HD video for cutscenes, and HD and uncompressed audio formats.
Yeah I checked my list of games on my PC and of about 30 full titles, only 3 (Dirt 2, Darksiders and The Witcher) were above 8 gigs, and two of those run off a single DVD on 360 I believe. Of course optical drive playback might have some redundancy and so it might push some of the borderline ones over the top, Bad Company 2 with Vietnam expansion for example.

The ultimate launch game for this machine would be a new entry in the New Super Mario Bros series. It's been too long since a piece of Nintendo hardward launched with a Mario platformer, and a title such as this which is considered a 'bridge' title by Nintendo would wheel in the hardcore and the core straight from the get go.

If the controller has a screen then maybe you could go down a warp pipe and then appear on the controller screen on your own, so that you're not interupting the progress of the players on the main TV.

OMG I just called it!

- mcx

poppabk

Fernando Rocker said:
My only hardware related wish is... dual GPU.

A dual HD 4770 would be good. I think it would be more efficient than a faster processor.
Why a dual GPU? Why not a twice as powerful single GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom