• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMagician said:
If the controller has a screen then maybe you could go down a warp pipe and then appear on the controller screen on your own, so that you're not interupting the progress of the players on the main TV.

OMG I just called it!

- mcx
Uhhhh that's actually a really cool idea.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ElectricBlanketFire said:
Any thoughts on what the last "big surprise" about the console might be?
There will be a premium-priced version of the controller that can do autostereoscopic 3d.

1-D_FTW

poppabk said:
Why a dual GPU? Why not a twice as powerful single GPU?

Because he's clearly not versed in the technical side of these things. It isn't a better solution. Dual GPU are only a last resort, we've tapped the silicon as far as we can, and we're putting two on a die for the bleeding edge people with more money than sense.

No one in their right mind would put these inefficient clogs in a console. If for some reason it's in the dev kit, it's only because it matches up exceedingly well to the performance specs of the final silicon that will be in it (but obviously a single chip custom design when finished).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Lupin the Wolf said:
They'll be called "Nintendo 3DS."
No. Unless 3DS lite will support the WirelessHD (or a proprietary version thereof) protocol and feature dual analog sticks.

Deku said:
I'm not disagreeing and I see the point of saying it may not make economic sense for it.

but I think you have to temper that conventional wisdom with the fact that Nintendo has never been this media friendly in its history. It has dabbled, but Netflix taking off on Wii seems to have lit a fire. They recognize its appeal to the casual user who may want to do more so I can see the rationale for including movie playbox out of the box.

It makes the machine more appealing during game droughts too.
Yes my friend its possible, but not likely. Streaming movies is what will get. Lets pray that instead eating licensing cost for movie playback, Nintengo goes all out with RAM and give us 2GB. That will surely benefit everybody.
Fernando Rocker said:
If Nintendo does not go for a clamshell, this one is cool. But sliding tends to brake easily. There will be lots of broken controllers and add to that, sliding analog is not better than traditional thumb sticks.
poppabk said:
Yeah I checked my list of games on my PC and of about 30 full titles, only 3 (Dirt 2, Darksiders and The Witcher) were above 8 gigs, and two of those run off a single DVD on 360 I believe.
Check GTA 4, Mass Effect, Dragon Age. In my case the mayority of games on PC far exceeds a dvd capacity when decompressed. The average is between 10-12 GB.
ElectricBlanketFire said:
Uhhhh that's actually a really cool idea.
Have you played a Nintendo Dual Screen System?

JaseMath

Modified my mock-up from last night.

7JsgC.jpg

EDIT: Pushed the sticks/buttons down.

Fernando Rocker said:
My only hardware related wish is... dual GPU.

A dual HD 4770 would be good. I think it would be more efficient than a faster processor.

Dual GPUs can't use the same VRAM, both chips need their own memory and data is mirrored on them. So these things need twice as much memory to load same amouth of assets, this alone makes them unusable on consoles.

Also CPU needs to have access to memory too, so it needs it's own pool or some insane hack job to access data from VRAMs through two GPUs. So you would end likely with tree diffirent RAM pools, one for CPU and two for GPUs.

RPGCrazied

I don't know how I feel about the screen in the controller, but if its wireless, and can stream what you got going on on your tv, it'll be like having a handheld and console? Playing in bed before you sleep? That would be awesome.

Though some of these mockups look painful to use.

mentalfloss said:
You know.. that.. that might work.
If size wasn't a problem. People tend to consiser these mock ups on how good they look and leave completly out of the equation how functional they might be. To use a tablet like that you'll need to provide constant support outside of your 2 hands. If the user is manipulating the left stick while touching the screen with the free hand there's a need to supply some extra support. So you end up limiting the user's freedom to operate the device.

Nintendo would have gone way too lazy to just slap buttons to a tablet.

wsippel

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
My only hardware related wish is... dual GPU.

A dual HD 4770 would be good. I think it would be more efficient than a faster processor.
Would make far more sense to take an R700 and just add more SPs than using two R700 GPUs.

LCfiner

there's no space for the palms to rest in some of these mockups.

this last one isn't bad but the right hand stick is too low on the bottom of the controller, the palm would be hanging in the air. whatever Nintendo comes up with needs to have some meat around the controls to keep our hands formed comfortably around the controller.

JaseMath

Refreshment.01 said:
If size wasn't a problem. People tends to consiser this mock ups on how good they look instead of how functional they might be. To use a tablet like that you'll need to provide constant support outside of your 2 hands. If the user is manipulating the left stick while touching the screen with the free hand there's a need to supply some support. So you end up limiting the user's freedom to operate the device.
I'm not going to design the back, but I'd imagine it'd have grips on the back where the triggers would presumably be.

TheMagician said:
If the controller has a screen then maybe you could go down a warp pipe and then appear on the controller screen on your own, so that you're not interupting the progress of the players on the main TV.

OMG I just called it!
That would be a neat, original idea if Four Swords Adventures didn't do that already... The warp pipes being caves, of course.

JaseMath

Gamer @ Heart said:
Guys, these mockups are beautiful, but where the hell are the handles! Gamecube controller with an iPad in-between is what the speculation says.
I think it'll be something like this...
GEWJg.jpg

1-D_FTW

LCfiner said:

this last one isn't bad but the right hand stick is too low on the bottom of the controller, the palm would be hanging in the air. whatever Nintendo comes up with needs to have some meat around the controls to keep our hands formed comfortably around the controller.

LOL

I've been banging my head against this massive flaw since the beginning. I feel bad for people spending so much time creating really beautiful mockups that have zero chance of ever being right.

The sticks will never be on the bottom of a console controller of this shape. They're cramp machines that are only there on portables out of absolute necessity. My one man crusade seems to be ignored by some. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to save people from wasting their time on a path that's a dead-end.

Refreshment.01 said:
Yes my friend its possible, but not likely. Streaming movies is what will get. Lets pray that instead eating licensing cost for movie playback, Nintengo goes all out with RAM and give us 2GB. That will surely benefit everybody.

I would definitely prefer a heartier machine than Blu-ray playback if I had to choose, but you can't just distill it down to two choices: More RAM or Blu-ray support. If the system is launching the middle of next year, it's safe to assume that the approximately $14 per unit licensing fee* (plus any other Blu-ray initial license fees that may be required) will have come down by then. Odds are good that if Nintendo uses a violet laser in the unit, they'll have to pay royalties for some of these patents anyway, so why not pay another couple bucks a system and add attractive Blu-ray support as a feature?

*Source: 5 August 2010, http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100805PD200.html

JasonMCG said:
I'm not going to design the back, but I'd imagine it'd have grips on the back where the triggers would presumably be.
Oh sh!t man, im sorry, watch my edit of the last post. I wasn't critisizing your design specificaly. Infact, wish i had skillz to put something as nice as what you made there.

Just that people are going just by looks and somewhat shutting their brains off not considering possible issues with a design. I think is better for the creator of the mock up and everybody, if constructive criticism is made.

V_Arnold

Well, I wont touch this console if the controller is some freaky device like this one.
If it is yet again a controller that allows no hardcore games, what is the point then in the increased horsepower behind it?

This device screams "play SRPG-s with it" for me, and that means Ill only buy it when it comes down to the price of 150$ AND has a lot of killer apps in that genre :D

1-D_FTW said:
LOL

I've been banging my head against this massive flaw since the beginning. I feel bad for people spending so much time creating really beautiful mockups that have zero chance of ever being right.

The sticks will never be on the bottom of a console controller of this shape. They're cramp machines that are only there on portables out of absolute necessity. My one man crusade seems to be ignored by some. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to save people from wasting their time on a path that's a dead-end.

This. This. Controllers are much, much more than some pictures ready to be photoshopped a few buttons upon it.

LCfiner said:

Seriously. Some of these mockups fail so badly at being even close to a functional designs

Lupin the Wolf said:
so why not pay another couple bucks a system and add attractive Blu-ray support as a feature?

Not saying we get less RAM if they opt for BR movie playback. Im not that stupid. :D But if they wish to pack the console with features at least do so for the really important ones. Hope you understand what im saying now.

The bolded part. Multiply that couple of bucks for potentially millions of consoles. Not a couple any more.

Refreshment.01 said:
Not saying we get less RAM if they opt for BR movie playback. Im not that stupid. :D But if they wish to pack the console with features at least do so for the really important ones. Hope you understand what im saying now.

The bolded part. Multiply that couple of bucks for potentially millions of consoles. Not a couple any more.

And remember this is the company that skimped on using digital audio out ports on the Wii because it cost a few extra cents.

Hiro

Banned
On the graphics side of things, let's not forget that Project Cafe is not said to be using a AMD R700 GPU but a revamped version of the R700 GPU. IGN's exact wording is "the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture". And what is the definition of revamp? "1. To patch up or restore; renovate. 2. To revise or reconstruct". So Nintendo used the R700 as a launching pad to create something uniquely their own and potentially far more powerful. Nintendo's revamped R700 GPU may have capabilities that far exceed the original R700 that is spoken of as if its the original R700 that Project Cafe will be using, and its not.

Edit: spelling correction.

Refreshment.01 said:

Same could be said for any feature of the console, really. I'm not expecting Blu-ray playback, but it's not so out-of-the-question like people seem to think.

LCfiner said:

Gamer @ Heart said:
Guys, these mockups are beautiful, but where the hell are the handles! Gamecube controller with an iPad in-between is what the speculation says.
Yeah, these mockups are very nice and some of them are probably quite near some of the prototypes that they have built, but they do not look comfortable for the palms at all. The best design is still the one posted a while back on Kotaku.

Source:http://kotaku.com/#!5794851/weve-sketched-the-wii-2-controller-of-our-dreams

sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg

M74

Hiro said:
On the graphics side of things, let's not forget that Project Cafe is not said to be using a AMD R700 GPU but a revamped version of the R700 GPU. IGN's exact wording is "the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture". And what is the definition of revamp? "1. To patch up or restore; renovate. 2. To revise or reconstruct". So Nintendo used the R700 as a launching pad to create something uniquely their own and potentially far more powerful. Nintendo's revamped R700 GPU may have capabilities that far exceed the original R700 that is spoken of as if its the original R700 that Project Cafe will be using, and its not.

Edit: spelling correction.
Stop getting everyone's hopes up.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that, the PS3 is $300 right now and is likely to be less powerful than Nintendo's new system. PS3 is presumably selling at or above cost at this point. It's not outrageous for Nintendo, in a year plus, to be making units with more powerful off-the-shelf GPUs and CPUs with Blu-ray support at the same price point (at-cost at launch, like GameCube did) and gradually profit more and more per console sold. Integrating Blu-ray, while not a traditional Nintendo tactic, could help those sales along. Especially since this "new Nintendo" is "targeting the hardcore" with the system.

Speaking of which, how come the leaks aren't telling us what kind of storage system the console is using? There were whisperings of Blu-ray (and enthusisat site Blu-ray.com supposedly reported something) but now there's no details and no one's even sure if Blu-ray playback is a feature. Confirm, someone! At least developers must know the size limit on their games' code?

grkazan12

If they're trying to go for the hardcore this time around, does anyone think the analog stick will have a click in option? ex:Sprint in COD. I mean they have to right and has a Nintendo controller ever had analog sticks that can click in?

Lupin the Wolf said:
Same could be said for any feature of the console, really. I'm not expecting Blu-ray playback, but it's not so out-of-the-question like people seem to think.
Not really. RAM is one key aspect of the console where manufactures tend to be really economical and lets not even talk about Nintendo. I could understand Nintendo saving costs in other really useful things, like the hard drive for example. But RAM is sacred. So cut away in peripheral/trivial sh!t, but dont castrate the hardware potential.
grkazan12 said:
I mean they have to right and has a Nintendo controller ever had analog sticks that can click in?
This has been my question for years. Nintendo never uses depressable sticks. Puzzling since it gives and addtional input method withouth stuffing the controller with more buttons.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sammy Samusu said:
The streaming/screen thing?

That was in the original rumors along with another surprise, wasn't it?

Edit: Maybe not.

DSN2K

oatmeal said:
The one thing I'm confused about...

What about the waggle? I don't want to lose it as an optional thing.

I think Wii remotes will simply work with the new console, it is backward compatible after all.

Soroc

JasonMCG said:
Modified my mock-up from last night.

7JsgC.jpg

EDIT: Pushed the sticks/buttons down.

I love it!! Do you have other angles that show how it is gripped or where the shoulder/trigger buttons are?

M74

V_Arnold said:
Well, I wont touch this console if the controller is some freaky device like this one.
If it is yet again a controller that allows no hardcore games, what is the point then in the increased horsepower behind it?
False premise. There's nothing about the Wiimote that outright prevents "hardcore" games from being played functionally.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lupin the Wolf said:
I would definitely prefer a heartier machine than Blu-ray playback if I had to choose, but you can't just distill it down to two choices: More RAM or Blu-ray support. If the system is launching the middle of next year, it's safe to assume that the approximately $14 per unit licensing fee* (plus any other Blu-ray initial license fees that may be required) will have come down by then. Odds are good that if Nintendo uses a violet laser in the unit, they'll have to pay royalties for some of these patents anyway, so why not pay another couple bucks a system and add attractive Blu-ray support as a feature?

The first reason is that any extra use of the drive is going to increase failure rates of the drives which are often pretty high for consoles anyway.
The second reason is that $5 for 100 million consoles works out to 500 million dollars, not an inconsequential figure.

heringer

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, these mockups are very nice and some of them are probably quite near some of the prototypes that they have built, but they do not look comfortable for the palms at all. The best design is still the one posted a while back on Kotaku.

Source:http://kotaku.com/#!5794851/weve-sketched-the-wii-2-controller-of-our-dreams

sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg
First design that both looks good and might have a good grip.

oatmeal

Banned
DSN2K said:
I think Wii remotes will simply work with the new console, it is backward compatible after all.

That would be a great way to do it. But I have to feel like they'd want to upgrade the tech even further for a new gen.

poppabk said:
The first reason is that any extra use of the drive is going to increase failure rates of the drives which are often pretty high for consoles anyway.
The second reason is that $5 for 1 million consoles works out to 500 million dollars, not an inconsequential figure.

Excuse me?

Lupin the Wolf said:
Excuse me?
Oh come on man, :D a slight mistake but his point is valid.
DungeonO said:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/4/6/6/6/7/webimg/68066961_o.jpg

So that thing with a screen rather than a keyboard.
And it concerns me cause a significant percentage of posters are happily eating that kind of sh!t up. :(

Deku

Banned
oatmeal said:
That would be a great way to do it. But I have to feel like they'd want to upgrade the tech even further for a new gen.

some of the rumours specifically mention the motion controls supported being superior to Move. Until we see the unit we won't know how it will all work as we're getting a lot of information, some of it conflicting or would imply a large unweildy contraption. But you can choose what you want to believe and discard others as just rumours.

Refreshment.01 said:
Oh come on man, :D a slight mistake but his point is valid.

His first point is, yes. And it's one I hadn't seriously considered before now.

If the device is going to use Blu-ray-style tech but in CAV format instead of CLV (in traditional NOD style), that might be exactly what they do. And I'd be okay with that.

The second point isn't so valid -- if it cost $5 for a gig of high-quality RAM per unit, it would also be $5 million. What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom