• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves Evolve said:
It will be using cheap parts in interesting ways. Not cutting edge anything.
Using a Blu-ray-based disc next year is no more high tech and far-fetched than using a DVD-based disc was in 2001. Maybe if they'd given GameCube a CD drive, they could've launched it for $190.

McHuj

Hiro said:
. Nintendo's revamped R700 GPU may have capabilities that far exceed the original R700 that is spoken of as if its the original R700 that Project Cafe will be using, and its not.

I'm going to go with the opposite meaning. Substituting stripped down instead of revamped is much more likely. Take a R700 GPU and remove all features that haven't been used extensively and/or don't provide benefits for a console.

Personal prediction:
3 Core PPC more efficient than Xbox, but much lower power
4630 level GPU
DVD Drive
2 GB internal flash
SD card expandable - no harddrive option

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
McHuj said:
I'm going to go with the opposite meaning. Substituting stripped down instead of revamped is much more likely. Take a R700 GPU and remove all features that haven't been used extensively and/or don't provide benefits for a console.

Personal prediction:
4630 level GPU
DVD Drive
2 GB internal flash

I think that's extremely conservative. But, it is Nintendo.

carlo6529

JasonMCG said:
Modified my mock-up from last night.

7JsgC.jpg

EDIT: Pushed the sticks/buttons down.

It looks nice and sleek however, have you actually thought about holding the controller in your hands based on where the joysticks are?

You are either going to have to add handles to it(which is more akin to what rumours are suggesting), or bring the right joystick to the height of the left joystick which in turn would make pressing the main a,b,x,y buttons awkward.

Edit~ Unless you put the controller down on a flat surface while playing; don't think that will be the case though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Using a Blu-ray-based disc next year is no more high tech and far-fetched than using a DVD-based disc was in 2001. Maybe if they'd given GameCube a CD drive, they could've launched it for $190.
Don't understand why if the BR issue has been correctly adressed by well informed posters (like yourself) it keeps popping over and over again.

People have the courtesy to at least speed read some of the pages.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Exactly right. But, then, the GameCube would've probably had a different form factor because they couldn't have settled for 8-cm CDs for a game format at that point. And I assume Nintendo is smart enough to do the same (using a newer tech) yet again.

Lupin the Wolf said:
The second point isn't so valid -- if it cost $5 for a gig of high-quality RAM per unit, it would also be $5 million. What's the difference?
The difference is massive. What would you do if making a console? Spend 5 million in a feature that might not be used by a percentage of your user base or expend that money in something that benefits everybody envolved in the console venture from developers to all the users?

Not even for questioning. Extra RAM makes game creation and development so much more practical/tolerable. A feature like BR movie playback is just a peripheral diversion that might be taken advantage of by a fraction of your user base. Plus the user will have the option to watch streaming movies anyway.

Think my point of view is logical.

Utako

Banned
From all the great ideas bouncing around on GAF alone, it looks like:

Touchscreen controller (WiiPad) > Accelerometer controller (Wiimote)

The touchscreen seems to foster creativity better. It's more flexible insofar as the kind of experiences you can convey.

Mrbob

McHuj said:

Personal prediction:
4630 level GPU
DVD Drive
2 GB internal flash

Agreed about Nintendo being a conservative company so this is a possibility, but I don't know how they plan on capturing the hardcore again with a console like this.

JaseMath

carlo6529 said:
It looks nice and sleek however, have you actually thought about holding the controller in your hands based on where the joysticks are?

You are either going to have to add handles to it(which is more akin to what rumours are suggesting), or bring the right joystick to the height of the left joystick which in turn would make pressing the main a,b,x,y buttons awkward.

Edit~ Unless you put the controller down on a flat surface while playing; don't think that will be the case though.
I know...I'm working on a revision, but since I'm at work, I have to wait a bit. I'll post a little later.

Utako said:

The touchscreen seems to foster creativity better. It's more flexible insofar as the kind of experiences you can convey.
The touchscreen controller will have an accelerometer and a gyroscope like the Wiimote +. He only downside is it wont be a two piece controller

ace3skoot

Raptor-jesus-christ i just don't know what to think...I kind of hope most of theses rumours are wrong and Nintendo surprise everyone like with the Wii. I know I'm in the minority as a hardcore gamer but i liked how the Wii took a different direction even being underpowered compared to the HD twins didn't bother me Nintendo released a lot of awesome games, 3rd parties were just so focused on tech there heart was never really into exploring what the Wii could do.

also now to contradict myself a bit id do anything for HD FF: crystal chronicles which is basically designed for this new controller :D

stealth edit:

grkazan12

Utako said:

For all the flack it got I actually thought the Wiimote was kind of neat, but yeah the touchscreen on the controllers sounds very interesting in terms of enhancing game play in some very exciting ways. I forget the user's name on GAF (sorry dude), but the ideas that people were posting yesterday got me really excited to see this thing.

Refreshment.01 said:
The difference is massive. What would you do if making a console? Spend 5 million in a feature that might not be used by a percentage of your user base or expend that money in something that benefits everybody envolved in the console venture from developers to all the users?

Not even for questioning. Extra RAM makes game creation and development so much more practical/tolerable. A feature like BR movie playback is just a peripheral diversion that might be taken advantage of by a fraction of your user base. Plus the user will have the option to watch streaming movies anyway.

Think my point of view is logical.
They can just sell the license separately with a Bluray DVD remote like the original Xbox did for DVD playback. That would make the most sense.

ElFly

TheMagician said:
If the controller has a screen then maybe you could go down a warp pipe and then appear on the controller screen on your own, so that you're not interupting the progress of the players on the main TV.

OMG I just called it!

- mcx

Eh, they already did that in Four Swords.

Branduil

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, these mockups are very nice and some of them are probably quite near some of the prototypes that they have built, but they do not look comfortable for the palms at all. The best design is still the one posted a while back on Kotaku.

Source:http://kotaku.com/#!5794851/weve-sketched-the-wii-2-controller-of-our-dreams

sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg
Making your wrists bend outward wouldn't be comfortable at all.

grkazan12 said:
For all the flack it got I actually thought the Wiimote was kind of neat, but yeah the touchscreen on the controllers sounds very interesting in terms of enhancing game play in some very exciting ways. I forget the user's name on GAF (sorry dude), but the ideas that people were posting yesterday got me really excited to see this thing.
The Wiiremote/nunchuk is brilliant, in a sense i think it should've become a standar, its advantages far outwieght its shortcomings. With some more input options is a lot better setup than the traditional 2 stick controller we get with the 360 or PS3 for the mayority of genres.
Branduil said:
And the gigantic size of the thing doesnt help either. In the case that you are not trying to kill someone with it.

thehillissilent said:
They can just sell the license separately with a Bluray DVD remote like the original Xbox did for DVD playback. That would make the most sense.

This is almost exactly what Nintendo planned to do at one point with DVD playback on Wii (minus the remote). It's possible to do so, and they can even put up warning screens on the downloadable BD Unlock program saying "Blu-ray playback may wear down your system faster than by exclusively playing games."

I assume they didn't because either a)the drive wear would be bad PR, or b) they actually couldn't because the DVD spec calls for digital audio out (at least via coaxial) and the Wii only provided analog.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lupin the Wolf said:
His first point is, yes. And it's one I hadn't seriously considered before now.

If the device is going to use Blu-ray-style tech but in CAV format instead of CLV (in traditional NOD style), that might be exactly what they do. And I'd be okay with that.

The second point isn't so valid -- if it cost $5 for a gig of high-quality RAM per unit, it would also be $5 million. What's the difference?
Forgoing my mistake, the very slight price differentials are why you see concessions in the consoles all the time - no HDMI cable, no HDMI at all, change from mp3 to aac, reduced numbers of USB ports on certain models etc.

Branduil said:

Yeah, those grips look horrendous. Reminds me of days that I used the worst controller ever created.
aad6dw.jpg

While the grips don't make your wrist bend outward, it's just uncomfortable to hold.

Daante

From a marketing perspective this is genius done by Nintendo..

Whatever the will show and confirm at E3 i can´t imagine anyone that´s into this business that not want to watch ever little word they have to say.

Bravo Nintendo, bravo.

Emitan

StickSoldier said:
Yeah, those grips look horrendous. Reminds me of days that I used the worst controller ever created.
aad6dw.jpg

While the grips don't make your wrist bend outward, it's just uncomfortable to hold.
OH NO. EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL KILL IT.

birdchili

i think the controller

- is going to have a detachable remote successor as one of the "grips".

- is going to sit angled for easy touch-only gameplay on a coffee table.

- will sit comfortably in your lap for touch-only gameplay.

questions:

- how feasable would it be for a "front facing" camera to see your hand/fingers and do tracking of where they are even when they're "above" the touch pad? could you move your fingers high/lower for various effects?

- how heavy is a 6" touch screen likely to be compared to a traditional controller?

Effect

Curious. What would be the deciding factor in getting results better then Xbox 360/PS3 but at the same time having processing power equal to them to keep cost down? Is it the GPU? Ram? Programming potential or would that be linked to the processing power?

Or is how quickly and efficiently you can process information? Would this not qualify as being more powerful though

The relation of DPad to Left Stick, and Buttons to Right Stick in most of these mock ups are WAAY too "vertical." I couldn't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be to be switching from buttons to right stick while controlling a first person/third person camera using these. Combined with no handles too?

*shivers*

birdchili said:
i think the controller

questions:

- how feasable would it be for a "front facing" camera to see your hand/fingers and do tracking of where they are even when they're "above" the touch pad? could you move your fingers high/lower for various effects?

- how heavy is a 6" touch screen likely to be compared to a traditional controller?
-I brought finger tracking since the old thread. Possible by diffrent methods. Nintendo doing it is the problem.

-Not that much heavy.

poppabk said:
Forgoing my mistake, the very slight price differentials are why you see concessions in the consoles all the time - no HDMI cable, no HDMI at all, change from mp3 to aac, reduced numbers of USB ports on certain models etc.

First off, you're exactly right about that. You can't have every box do everything. Look at the PS3 E3 model vs. the final model (What, no built-in ethernet router? No 2nd HDMI port? What a rip-off!)

But you can't say that "something costs money" is the reason features are excluded. The real reason is "it costs money and it's not as high a priority for us." We don't know for sure what Nintendo is considering a priority and what they are not. They've indicated the general trend toward becoming more media-friendly. We don't know for a fact that Nintendo means that exclusively in a digital-download-only context. Is that possible or even likely? Sure. But I'm not willing to 100% write off Blu-ray playback for now. Especially not if they can find a way to pass those costs on to the consumer.

birdchili

Refreshment.01 said:
-I brought finger tracking since the old thread. Possible by diffrent methods. Nintendo doing it is the problem.
i'm not actually sure how useful it would be... might not be practical for much gameplay-wise. i think we've seen enough "kinda" accurate controls schemes this gen... quite a few things to be said for really high degrees of precision, which i'm not sure you'd get from something like this. nifty idea if do-able...

Desperado said:
Is there any word on if it's going to be a capacitive or resistive touch screen?

Oh, CoffeeJanitor, you silly.....wait, "Desperado?"

What's with the exact-copy avatars I've been seeing lately?

Also, I read ONE rumor that it was capacitive (IGN?), but most have made no comment on the matter. I think we all expect resistive, given the DS, however.

birdchili said:
i'm not actually sure how useful it would be... might not be practical for much gameplay-wise. i think we've seen enough "kinda" accurate controls schemes this gen... quite a few things to be said for really high degrees of precision, which i'm not sure you'd get from something like this. nifty idea if do-able...
Already explained at lenght in other posts, so you can search me if you want. Had different applications depending of the game.

The short version is you turn the TV screen into a touch panel withouth the need to watch the smaller touch screen. It's like an abstraction of Wiiremote pointing in the sense that distance is reduced. Line of sight issues are lessen and the user has more freedom when operating the controls. Remember you kind of need some tweaking and good positional setting done to get an optimal Wii pointing setup.

Plus you retaing all touch screen interactivity while having accurate pointing and with no need to focus your vision in the touch screen.

At this point it's safe to say that the control will either be something like a tablet or what I posted above. Any other design would just leave me blindsided. I'm more curious about the Wiimote at this stage. I also want to see what Nintendo is planning on the online front. I'll be knocked off my feet if they actually hit it out of the park with gamertags, account based purchases and an expanded digital store.
Branduil said:
It'd be better than trying to hold a nearly flat tablet with analogs on the bottom. All the pad would need is neutral or outward facing grips for a comfortable grip. A good circle D-pad would make the design complete in my mind though(fighters), but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment.
Refreshment.01 said:
And the gigantic size of the thing doesnt help either. In the case that you are not trying to kill someone with it.
It's going to be large no matter what form it takes if it does have a six inch screen.

1-D_FTW said:
Every time I see that, I wish they had released a USB version for PC. Would have been pretty killer.

I seem to remember Planet GameCube said the keys were a bit on the small side, unfortunately. I imagine it was hard to type without making typos more often than desired.

1-D_FTW

I wouldn't want it for everyday typing, but as a HTPC controller, it'd be pretty cool to be able to PM in Steam while holding the controller.

Xane

1-D_FTW said:
Every time I see that, I wish they had released a USB version for PC. Would have been pretty killer.
41RMdZW8ygL.jpg

I use one of these for my GCN controllers -> PC fix. works with the Duke and PS2 controllers too.

Xane said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RMdZW8ygL.jpg[/IMG]
I use one of these for my GCN controllers -> PC fix. works with the Duke and PS2 controllers too.

Does the GCN Keyboard typing work through it, though?

1-D_FTW: I always wanted one for some of my online gaming, too, but sadly, they didn't make a PS3 one....

heyf00L

Lupin the Wolf said:
I seem to remember Planet GameCube said the keys were a bit on the small side, unfortunately. I imagine it was hard to type without making typos more often than desired.
Yeah, the keys are tiny. I got used to it eventually. It's also a Japanese keyboard which means punctuation is moved all around (apostrophe was Shift + 7). I got used to that eventually, too.

I doubt a GCN controller adapter would make it work on PC.

Utako

Banned
From The Dust said:
The touchscreen controller will have an accelerometer and a gyroscope like the Wiimote +. He only downside is it wont be a two piece controller
The DS3 has an accelerometer also, but I wouldn't call it a motion controller.

The Wiimote is a motion controller. Like the PS Move. The WiiPad will be a touchscreen controller with an accelerometer in it.

How are tablets viewed in Japan and how well they do sales wise?

I think its a logical thing to consider by the people who are coming up with these tablet mock ups. Nintendo needs to satisfy their local market after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom