• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

J-Rock said:
Which site posted the "devkits after E3" rumor again?
the only people to report devkits had gone out at all (not sure about right after e3) was edge

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sources-confirm-more-details-on-wii-successor

Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.
they're also the ones who reported the 'better-than-move' motion controls.

wsippel said:
EDIT: Honestly, the "source please" guys already ruined it for everyone. A few months ago, you could find tons of interesting stuff on Linkedin and similar sites. Not anymore. Because the people on there got a lot more careful. And that's because there's always someone requesting a source, some people comply, and all sources got burned down. It's a terrible habit. Just trust whoever posted something, or chose not to. But don't ask, and don't look for yourself. And if you absolutely have to, do what the original poster did and keep it to yourselves. Don't post it. You're ruining it.

How ridiculous. So basically we shouldn't try to check and confirm stuff. Either believe it or don't. Make using the Internet as dumb as merely watching TV without thinking. Wow.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
If Nintendo isn't using BD playback then why would they have to pay licensing fees upfront? That makes no sense.

They don't pay licensing fees for Wii and the Wii is still capable of playing back DVD's with a little hombrew app. So unlocking Bluray playback later should work the exact same way.

Once again your reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Licensing for bluetooth is the comparison? Nintendo uses bluetooth in every Wiimote (& BB) which needs to be used in order to play games and navigate the menu on the system, so of course they would pay the licensing fees for Bluetooth.

How does that compare to Wii using DVD's but not allowing DVD playback, but the drive still being able to playback DVD's with a tweak/hack and then doing the exact same thing for BRD for Wii2 when the time comes?
You completely took my responses out of context, i hope not intentionally cause that´s not politically correct.

In those quotes i was answering to people that think Nintendo will include BR playback out of the box. I hope now the reasons for my answers are clear to you now.

The Bluetooth comment was an answer to a guy that was asuming i said Nintendo doesn´t license anything, which in itself is ridiculous. :D
Einbroch said:
How do we know the controller doesn't open up like a DS? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a controller that looks normal...with maybe a screen on top? We'd still get the screen and it wouldn't be a wide abomination.
That's exactly the mock up i made but people got offended.
1-D_FTW said:
What's it going to close into? You either have massive dead space (that would be better served by just putting the screen there) when it's open, or it would close on/into the buttons and sticks.
The controller would be alot less wide and the space would be used for buttons like a normal controller.

7 Smash Brother responses in succession. Poor servers man :(

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, not like the others have had anything to do with their respective system names. I'm up for some SSB Fracas or SSB Brouhaha.

Going by the Melee and Brawl subtitles:

Super Smash Brothers: Clash
Super Smash Brothers: Fray
Super Smash Brothers: Rumble
Super Smash Brothers: Tumult
Super Smash Brothers: Uproar

Azure J

AniHawk said:
oh god yes

but no capcom vs super smash bros.

i forget how it works, but i want it to be a vs capcom game, not a smash bros game.

I want both honestly, but being even more honest, I wouldn't mind if the Smash formula took a rest and we got the Capcom VS game. Also Makoto & Strider please. :p

Zeliard

Refreshment.01 said:
That's exactly the mock up i made but people got offended.

The controller would be alot less wide and the space would be used for buttons like a normal controller.

Some sort of flip mechanic has always seemed the likeliest scenario to me. A person very early on posted a mockup here that had the 6" screen flipping up, similar to a DS (but with only one screen), which pretty much removes the entire issue of a screen that size taking up room on a main surface that also includes dual analog sticks and presumably face buttons.

In that case the screen would get its own surface, and the input buttons and controls their own as well, removing some of the logistical obstacles that come with trying to put them all on the same flat surface. You'd end up with the entire device being roughly around 7" or so in length, which is a good size. Closing the device up shouldn't be an issue if there's enough space between the screen and the analog sticks.

The issue there, depending on how it's done, comes with quick and convenient access to the screen if it's meant to be touch-enabled.

The screen just seems too large to put on a dual analog that approaches traditional design. It's always been the size of the screen more than anything else that has caused so much puzzlement in the mock-up designs.

wsippel said:
There's a reason I didn't post a name or link a few hours ago, guys. Oh well...

EDIT: Honestly, the "source please" guys already ruined it for everyone. A few months ago, you could find tons of interesting stuff on Linkedin and similar sites. Not anymore. Because the people on there got a lot more careful. And that's because there's always someone requesting a source, some people comply, and all sources got burned down. It's a terrible habit. Just trust whoever posted something, or chose not to. But don't ask, and don't look for yourself. And if you absolutely have to, do what the original poster did and keep it to yourselves. Don't post it. You're ruining it.

I almost said "Don't post a source, I don't want to get the guy in trouble," but his info was vague enough that it seemed like he'd be covered: "An unannounced game on an unannounced Nintendo platform?" That's pretty darn vague. He probably should have said "Unannounced platform" altogether, but that's still pretty good.

wsippel

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
I almost said "Don't post a source, I don't want to get the guy in trouble," but his info was vague enough that it seemed like he'd be covered: "An unannounced game on an unannounced Nintendo platform?" That's pretty darn vague. He probably should have said "Unannounced platform" altogether, but that's still pretty good.
Yeah, but any kind of source was completely unnecessary in this case. There's nothing else there, and nothing is more or less true now that it was posted. But this guys name is out there now, and that doesn't help anyone.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Going by the Melee and Brawl subtitles:

Super Smash Brothers: Clash
Super Smash Brothers: Fray
Super Smash Brothers: Rumble
Super Smash Brothers: Tumult
Super Smash Brothers: Uproar

I like this one.

Xane

AniHawk said:
oh god yes

but no capcom vs super smash bros.

i forget how it works, but i want it to be a vs capcom game, not a smash bros game.
I want it the other way around, the Smash gameplay is what I'm most interested in.
It's so unique.

Instro

wsippel said:
There's a reason I didn't post a name or link a few hours ago, guys. Oh well...

Pretty much, although its tough to just trust whatever someone is posting. In cases like these it would kind of useful if the poster could just give the link to one other person, maybe a mod, just so they can verify that its legit without posting the link for everyone to see. Or something like that.

Xane said:
I want it the other way around, the Smash gameplay is what I'm most interested in.
It's so unique.

We could have both, but they have to use Mostly new characters for the Capcom side in their version of the game.

I'd rather have Nintendo somehow fund a Capcom made Jump Game though.

Zeliard said:
Some sort of flip mechanic has always seemed the likeliest scenario to me. A person very early on posted a mockup here that had the 6" screen flipping up, similar to a DS (but with only one screen), which pretty much removes the entire issue of a screen that size taking up room on a main surface that also includes dual analog sticks and presumably face buttons.

In that case the screen would get its own surface, and the input buttons and controls their own as well, removing some of the logistical obstacles that come with trying to put them all on the same flat surface. You'd end up with the entire device being roughly around 7" or so in length, which is a good size. Closing the device up shouldn't be an issue if there's enough space between the screen and the analog sticks.

The issue there, depending on how it's done, comes with quick and convenient access to the screen if it's meant to be touch-enabled.

The screen just seems too large to put on a dual analog that approaches traditional design. It's always been the size of the screen more than anything else that has caused so much puzzlement in the mock-up designs.
This how i would do it. It has 2 operating modes: 1 the hole face of the controller is the touch screen. The other mode has all the buttons accesible plus the screen on top closer to the user FoV. It's just link to the pics so no one gets offended:
http://www.abload.de/img/wii2proto_resized7wi.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/t3000_1_a_resizec7vd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYAqiw7J_M

The video is just an example i came across with after i had the idea. It shows how crazy rotating screens could get. I wouldnt expect Nintendo to go with one that rotates in 2 axis. One axis is more than enough.

And yes the device with a flip design would end up being closer to a normal controller width. Hinge is a bit of a bitch in terms of durability but i think a quality one will do.

Instro said:
Pretty much, although its tough to just trust whatever someone is posting. In cases like these it would kind of useful if the poster could just give the link to one other person, maybe a mod, just so they can verify that its legit without posting the link for everyone to see. Or something like that.

I like your thinking. :)

So, anyway.
2 years of development time for Cafe games?
That's pretty insane for Nintendo.
I mean, they didn't give out 3DS kits until just a few months before E3.

Hiro

Banned
AceBandage said:
So, anyway.
2 years of development time for Cafe games?
That's pretty insane for Nintendo.
I mean, they didn't give out 3DS kits until just a few months before E3.

Cafe games will take longer to develop. Console games take longer to develop than handheld or mobile games, and console games are graphically more demanding and costly. In the future, the gap will close more and more. (such as with the successor to the NGP and 3DS and the successor of the successor to the NGP and 3DS and so forth)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Neiteio said:
Keep your fingers crossed for:

STREAM

- PIKMIN 3 - Captain Olimar returns in high-definition! Pointer and touchscreen controls rival a PC mouse and keyboard, ideal for real-time strategy. The quantum leap in horsepower packs more Pikmin, detail, etc, onscreen at once, and in HD it's crisp and clear, even from afar. A separate co-op campaign, local split-screen and online, lets two players work together, each with their own army of 100 Pikmin.

- F-ZERO NEXT - Captain Falcon is back in the fast lane, leapfrogging Wii to the next generation on Stream! At a blazing 60 frames per second in 1080p, the game is sensory overload, with 30 racers vying for victory on richly detailed tracks. Online play, vehicle customization, a full-blown track editor via touchscreen and the return of Death Race round out the game.

- STAR FOX ARMADA - Fox McCloud is back to thwart Andross in an all-new adventure developed by Treasure, whose shoot-'em-up skills make for a compelling arcade experience in 60 fps, 1080p HD. All missions are either on-rails or on-rails/free-range, featuring the Arwing, Landmaster, Blue Marine, and a new bipedal mech inspired by the unreleased Star Fox II on Super NES. Also included is open-world local and online multiplayer.

- ETERNAL DARKNESS II - Retro Studios helms a high-definition sequel to Silicon Knights' critically acclaimed 2002 GCN game, now with integrated Vitality Sensor support for biometric-enhanced gameplay, and pointer, motion and touch control for immersive puzzle-solving and combat. The intricate plot follows the machinations of the "corpse god" Mantorok after his fellow Ancients have been destroyed, in a tale that once again spans the ages, including chapters set during the Salem Witch Trials and Nazi Germany. The game monitors the player's pulse and even pupil dilation in deciding when to trigger sanity effects, as well as their degree and duration.

PLUS: Miyamoto's all-new character-driven, water-based IP, codenamed MERMAIDS, and the stunning revelation of Rockstar North's GRAND THEFT AUTO V, exclusive to Stream.

SIDE NOTE:

RE: F-ZERO NEXT: track editor: Using the touchscreen in the control pad, first players draw a closed circuit on a 2D plane. Then, viewing the circuit at a 3D angle, the player pinches and pulls portions of the track to form inclines and declines, adding elevation. Players can also remove portions of the track for gaps, steps, jumps and drop-offs; make the track tubular or hollow; add banked curves, quarter-pipes, half-pipes, corkscrews and loop de loops; crisscross tracks or make them parallel; apply stretches of ice, rough patches, fire and minefields; and add bumpers, boost strips and energy strips, all by simply touching the screen.

During gameplay on the TV, the touchscreen displays the track layout, poll position and rearview mirror. When away from the TV, streaming from the console to the controller, the touchscreen condenses the TV’s 1080p image for gaming in and around the household. In local split-screen multiplayer, the touchscreen can also display the game proper, giving each player a perfect view no matter where they sit.

[/dreamy sigh]
I'd buy that theoretical F-Zero game for a very high price.

Hiro said:
Cafe games will take longer to develop. Console games take longer to develop than handheld or mobile games, and console games are graphically more demanding and costly. In the future, the gap will close more and more. (such as with the successor to the NGP and 3DS and the successor of the successor to the NGP and 3DS and so forth)

One of the things I really want to see is Cafe being able to magically make development costs go down. I know it's crazy and the truth is, I don't know what/how development budgets are spent, but I figured Nintendo is very much aware of the escalating costs of development for consoles and would find a way to stop it.

Development costs are only as high as publishers want them to be.
HD R&D took a lot, yes, but that's over now.
The problem is when you have teams of 500 making games like Assassin's Creed.
That's completely unnecessary.

Hiro

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
One of the things I really want to see is Cafe being able to magically make development costs go down. I know it's crazy and the truth is, I don't know what/how development budgets are spent, but I figured Nintendo is very much aware of the escalating costs of development for consoles and would find a way to stop it.

This could be done by making software development for Cafe easier than for the PS360. I've heard independent developers say both the following: it is hard to develop for the PS3, it is hard to develop for the Xbox 360. And I almost always read developers being quoted as saying, 'it is easier to develop for the 360 than the PS3'.

So we got the Wii and 3DS name before E3. On both counts. They released them saying they wanted people to concentrate on the systems at E3 and not the names.
This time we have no names and lots of leaks (which I don't remember so much with the others). Have they not released the name this time round as it would confirm the rumours?? Or even contradict the rumours downplaying hype?

DefectiveReject said:
So we got the Wii and 3DS name before E3. On both counts. They released them saying they wanted people to concentrate on the systems at E3 and not the names.
This time we have no names and lots of leaks (which I don't remember so much with the others). Have they not released the name this time round as it would confirm the rumours?? Or even contradict the rumours downplaying hype?

maybe because its being released in 18 months??? its going to be a long long wait

DefectiveReject said:

Yeah, if the name is in fact Stream, then that would give away a lot.

antonz

DefectiveReject said:

Well the Wii name was released specifically to get the dick jokes etc out of the way early. If they are going for a more normal name they really have no need to rush it out.

If they did name it stream it would certainly be a solid indicator of the rumors being accurate

maeda

I wonder if we'll see a dilogy packs like Dead Space, Bioshock and the likes. I mean it would be an easy way to have some decent games for launch.

Emitan

I'm really hoping the name isn't Stream, but I think Wii is a dumber sounding name and I've gotten used to it, so who knows?

Amir0x

Banned
maeda said:
I wonder if we'll see a dilogy packs like Dead Space, Bioshock and the likes. I mean it would be an easy way to have some decent games for launch.

god no more ancient games/ports defining new systems launches PLZ

i'm already tired of Stream's launch lineup and we're like 12 months away *groan*

Emitan

Amir0x said:
god no more ancient games/ports defining new systems launches PLZ

i'm already tired of Stream's launch lineup and we're like 12 months away *groan*
It's great for people like me who somehow missed tons of high profile games this generation. Although I'd rather buy the PC versions as long as it's a decent PC port.

antonz

I expect we will see packs from everyones favorite company who is going to feel the need to get like 30 games for the launch window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom