• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipowicz

Banned
one thing i hope nintendo do is focus on publishers that are willing to put in a bit effort on their system. sega, capcom, mmv, activision, ubisoft etc

i also hope they vigorously pursue rockstar. they seem to love rockstar, and rockstar are great devs

carlo6529

I read a quote from capcom talking about "brand fatigue" and how they want to avoid it. When I read it, I assumed they were talking about Resident Evil. I personally am not expecting RE6 until well into next gen.

FunkyPajamas said:
Does it support the Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want to play through it in 720p. This will push me over.
Kind of.
MP3 and MPT for some reason run poorly on Dolphin.
I can only get MP3 to run at 30FPS.

Zeliard

Glass Joe said:
I used GTA as it'd been mentioned, though it does seem exceedingly unlikely. I was trying to convey a mature rated, highly regarded 3rd party IP. Those have always been missing @ launch, and in general. Insert any realistic game instead.

I do agree with your general point that it would make sense for Nintendo to try and snag a high-profile, exclusive (timed or otherwise) third-party game at launch if they want to try to reform relationships with other third parties, and particularly their current reputation when it comes to third-party software.

It won't be GTA but we could potentially see it with something else, if Nintendo is willing to shell out the money. Even then, it doesn't necessarily have to be an exclusive. Even if it's a case where it just happens to come out earlier on Nintendo's system, without it being tied to exclusivity, that would be effective as well.

We're also still not sure on the specifics of Nintendo's new system and there could be other things that differentiate it from the 360 and PS3, so that even if the latter two get the same game, Nintendo's version could still stand out in some positive way.

Ultimately, Nintendo just needs to send a positive message about their third-party relationships and they should ideally do it around release, if not earlier.

Hiro

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Eh I expect Wii2 to just be another 7th gen console that is more powerful, kind of like the PC that gets superior versions of multiplatform games. So games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim will look way better on Wii2 than PS3/360 versions. I don't think developers will risk making an exclusive game that is high budget exclusively for Wii2. Well maybe we will start seeing Wii2/PC exclusives, perhaps they can port Witcher 2 to Wii2. Maybe we won't get ports of old HD games, but all future HD games that are getting released after Wii2 release will most definitely be multiplatform across Wii2/PC/PS3/360

Then what is the point of having an 8th gen console if it is only going to be limited by its retroactivity and portability with 7th gen consoles? It's a limitation that is there and it almost seems as if your implying that Nintendo won't even launch an 8th gen console. They certainly won't be launching a successor to Cafe anytime soon (as in, within 6 or 7 years) of launching Cafe. And by that time, we can expect a successor to the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

wsippel said:
The studio in North Carolina is part of EA Sports as far as I know.
zOSA1.gif

antonz said:
I expect we will see packs from everyones favorite company who is going to feel the need to get like 30 games for the launch window
I'm against the idea of porting games already playable on Nintendo platforms.

Nintendo lost many multiplatform games this generation. Some ports wouldn't do half bad, you know. I'm in for some Assassin's Creed action.

FunkyPajamas said:
Does it support the Metroid Prime Trilogy? I want to play through it in 720p. This will push me over.
No, Dolphin doesn't like games with multiple executables and will crash when you select one of the games. You can play the GC versions just fine though, or maybe try importing the EU standalone Wii versions if you don't want to play with the crappy GC controls.

EDIT - Actually it looks like the standalone remakes weren't released in Europe. Maybe you can try importing the JP versions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How do you get the games into Dolphin? Can you rip from Wii discs? I'm not going to torrent or download anything, even if I already own the games.

Instro

You'll get exclusives, they just wont be the highest tier stuff obviously. 3rd party exclusives on home consoles are getting rarer these days anyway.

KAL2006

Banned
Hiro said:
Then what is the point of having an 8th gen console if it is only going to be limited by its retroactivity and portability with 7th gen consoles? It's a limitation that is there and it almost seems as if your implying that Nintendo won't even launch an 8th gen console. They certainly won't be launching a successor to Cafe anytime soon (as in, within 6 or 7 years) of launching Cafe. And by that time, we can expect a successor to the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Don't ask me ask Nintendo, Wii was basically a continuation of PS2/Xbox gen with ports of Okami, RE4, Pikmin, DK Jungle Beat, Twilight Princess, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Sonic Uncleashed, Godfather, Scarface and etc. This time it will be worse because PS3 and 360 gen is longer and Wii2 architecture is rumored to be similar to 360's. Of course the porting should stop once PS4 and neXtBox come out.

EDIT: The main pont of the Cafe is what it has always been for Nintendo consoles, exclusive games from Nintendo, people would want to see the next Wii Sports innovation and popular franchises like Mario and Zelda in HD for the first time.

maeda

Hiro said:
The point is that Wii is slowing down and Nintendo needs to make money?

Amir0x

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Of course the porting should stop once PS4 and neXtBox come out.

and then the big gamble, which I think Nintendo is counting on, is that developers won't be ready yet (or won't want to invest) in new engines and all that R&D for the PS4 and Xbox 3 in 2013 or 14, so the Stream would become the lead platform by default.

I think it could work out for them

Emitan

Hiro said:
Running current gen games on High or Ultra instead of Medium.

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo really have to stop releasing hardware quickly with weak line up while waiting for more later...

The truth is that Nintendo console launches are becoming more and more like any other guy's console.

They really are in a rough position, cause they want to let third parties exist, but in the end, people always bough Nintendo consoles for their games. A launch like the 3ds one is a catastrophe. First time for me that a Nintendo system launches and i got the feeling it's already old.. Cause it has no strong defining soft, and the fact that it follow logically the current game offer from others (SSFIV and other ports) makes it look like this is not a new gen, but more a side story of the last one.

They have to avoid that at all cost with the wii 2. They don't want to be parallel to this gen, cause it's a fading gen and they'll die with it if they do that. Then when new Sony and Microsoft consoles are out, Wii2 will be buried with it's current gen competitors.

Momo

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
It's the only way you can play SF4 on the move with buttons, I think most sane people would think that was a good thing.
Mate, if playing a game you should have been playing yonks ago "on the move" is the best a launch has to offer, that launch sucked pretty badly.

Zeliard

AceBandage said:
Educate your mind!

It's insanely easy to do and perfectly legal.

It's very quick and easy.

Also, this thread has good step-by-step instructions and some good preliminary Dolphin settings that will get you up and running with most games:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121

For anyone considering this, if you want to be awash in visual splendor and immediately see the sorts of differences a higher resolution can bring to the table, I recommend you start with something like Mario Galaxy 2. Which runs flawlessly, it should be noted. And you can spin with the press of a button.

Andrex said:
Does that answer my question? I can't tell. WAD, ELF, DOL, what?

Basically, you load the HomeBrew channel to your Wii.
You load a Disc Copy program to your Wii.
You format an external HDD to the Wii's liking.
You rip games from Wii discs to the HDD and load them to your PC.

Just ask for a simple step by step in that thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AceBandage said:
Basically, you load the HomeBrew channel to your Wii.
You load a Disc Copy program to your Wii.
You format an external HDD to the Wii's liking.
You rip games from Wii discs to the HDD and load them to your PC.

Just ask for a simple step by step in that thread.

Billychu said:
Put FTP program on Wii and run it. Run FTP client on computer. Rip the disk through the magic of the internet!

Ah. Thanks bros.

Emitan

Zeliard said:
It's very quick and easy.

Also, this thread has good step-by-step instructions and some good preliminary Dolphin settings that will get you up and running with most games:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121

For anyone considering this, if you want to be awash in visual splendor and immediately see the sorts of differences a higher resolution can bring to the table, I recommend you start with something like Mario Galaxy 2. Which runs flawlessly, it should be noted. And you can spin with the press of a button.
Has the Galaxy sound loop glitch been fixed?

KAL2006

Banned
Amir0x said:
and then the big gamble, which I think Nintendo is counting on, is that developers won't be ready yet (or won't want to invest) in new engines and all that R&D for the PS4 and Xbox 3, so the Stream would become the lead platform by default

Yes that is a big gamble but I doubt that would happen, the next Xbox will automatically become popular just because most folks are so invested in Live that they won't want to leave there account (acheivements, friends, XBLA games and etc). I think developers will take advantage of the next Xbox, and if PS4 and obviously PC is as powerful, I don't think developers will mind taking a risk for making an exclusive PS4,nextbox/PC multiplatform games in the future. The Wii2 could still potentially share multiplatform games with NGP and 360/PS3 (if those old HD console are still quite alive after their successors get released).

Amir0x

Banned
Momo said:
Mate, if playing a game you should have been playing yonks ago "on the move" is the best a launch has to offer, that launch sucked pretty badly.

i still amuse myself laughing over all the hypocrites who decried ports of all kinds throughout PSPs lifespan (including many quite good fighting games - good for ports, anyway) and then magically find it a-ok when it's the only thing worth half a damn on 3DS

People for consistency ftw. Systems defined by new games, not old ones! Let's move on!

Zeliard

Billychu said:
Has the Galaxy sound loop glitch been fixed?

Was that a DSP HLE issue? I know I had shitty sound levels there and music that would just cut out after a while.

Using DSP LLE + putting DSP LLE on a thread has been very solid for me.

(For anyone wondering, to use DSP LLE you have to dump it from your Wii).

AceBandage said:
Kind of.
MP3 and MPT for some reason run poorly on Dolphin.
I can only get MP3 to run at 30FPS.
nincompoop said:
No, Dolphin doesn't like games with multiple executables and will crash when you select one of the games. You can play the GC versions just fine though, or maybe try importing the EU standalone Wii versions if you don't want to play with the crappy GC controls.
Oh, ok, thanks. Kind of a bummer. I guess I'll pass then. Thanks again.

Emitan

KAL2006 said:
Yes that is a big gamble but I doubt that would happen, the next Xbox will automatically become popular just because most folks are so invested in Live that they won't want to leave there account (acheivements, friends, XBLA games and etc). I think developers will take advantage of the next Xbox, and if PS4 and obviously PC is as powerful, I don't think developers will mind taking a risk for making an exclusive PS4,nextbox/PC multiplatform games in the future. The Wii2 could still potentially share multiplatform games with NGP and 360/PS3 (if those old HD console are still quite alive after their successors get released).
I'm betting smaller devs and Japanese devs (that aren't Capcom) will focus on the Stream. Nintendo has given devs a way to create "next gen" games on a "current gen" system and I think the Stream is going to have a ton of support.

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, ok, thanks. Kind of a bummer. I guess I'll pass then. Thanks again.
Can't you just try running the games separately?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
KAL2006 said:
Don't discount the budgetary problems that are going to be even more evident. If they next versions of the Playstation and Xbox cost an average of 80million dollars per "AAA" game, Cafe may be the platform of choice just due to harsh reality.

Hiro

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Now that you mention the next Xbox as being the presumed dominant 8th gen console, I want to bring up an article I came across earlier, one that alleges that, at the earliest, we won't have a successor to the xbox 360 until 2015. See this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-looking-at-releasing-next-xbox-in-2015-2011-3

And if you read the comments to that article, I think this one is worth quoting:
MS has already blown their advantages multiple times:
1. Hardware failures, they could have ended Sony's dominance otherwise.
2. No hardware revision for multiple years when it was clear that gamers didn't trust their hardware.
3. No all-new xbox last year when Sony wouldn't have had enough money to develop ps4.
4. No BluRay version when it's clear that retailers want discs to sell and PS3's popularity with gamers is partly based on playing BluRays.
5. Requiring gold membership for netflix when no one else does.

Oh, now they're competing with Wii, brilliantly, no doubt. But they should have kept their eyes on the living room prize instead of quarterly earnings. They could have had many, MANY more devices sold by now. This could have been their ipod, a device whose success they could build on in multiple markets.

About the players and new console development:
It's odd that Nintendo doesn't have an WiiHD yet, they're just so focused on mobile where they release update after update to defend against the ipod/iphone juggernaut. And the mobile gaming market is very profitable and culturally relevant in japan. But it's a losing effort, and I wish they'd do a new Wii or improve the games on the Wii, it's a real wasteland compared to their own DS.

Their lack of ipad competitor is also glaring. They should have done a DS XXL instead of 3d. The 3d is innovative and HARD TO PIRATE, but doesn't much affect gameplay. Ipad does. And they need a competitive app store and browser to sell devices to grownups outside of Japan.

Sony doesn't have any money left for PS4. The PS3 'strategy' nearly bankrupted them. In hindsight, they should have added to the ps2 for a year or two, but it's easy to say that now. MS didn't finish them off, so they were lucky and they get to compete for another decade I would guess.

MS is just full of bad management but also tons of money. They've decided to manage xbox like a cable company, they sign exclusive games that make you pay for Gold and then they sit on membership fees. That's why they got rid of the few guys who knew what they were doing on the content side, and why they let Bungie go.

Part of Ballmer's quest to suck at everything, I guess.

I suspect they're all putting off their next console launches in part to defend against Apple's and Google's next moves. Nintendo demonstrated that console horsepower isn't the winning factor that it used to be, so they have to be careful to keep their market with well designed network services. Until the next direction is revealed to them by the new guys.

(above quote credit to mjw149)

Edit: Note that the comment was made before Project Cafe was anounced, hence their ponderance about the lack of a successor to the Wii.

KAL2006

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Don't discount the budgetary problems that are going to be even more evident. If they next versions of the Playstation and Xbox cost an average of 80million dollars per "AAA" game, Cafe may be the platform of choice just due to harsh reality.

I think huge publishers like Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom and etc will jump at the chance to make the best game with a huge budget.

And because of this most people will slowly move on to PS3/720, as they want to play the next COD, Assassins Creed and etc. I remember watching GameTrialers Bonus Round and most of the time developers are saying they always want to make a game bigger and much better. Hell companies like Ubisoft and Epic are all wanting a new generation of consoles.

Momo said:

I never said it was the best a launch had to offer, I never even said the 3DS launch was anything other than disappointing, but playing SF on the toilet is a good thing. Also how exactly should I have been playing SF "on the move" "yonks ago"?

Amir0x said:
i still amuse myself laughing over all the hypocrites who decried ports of all kinds throughout PSPs lifespan (including many quite good fighting games - good for ports, anyway) and then magically find it a-ok when it's the only thing worth half a damn on 3DS

People for consistency ftw. Systems defined by new games, not old ones! Let's move on!

Not everyone buys every game they wish to play at the time of release, & considering from the GBA onwards Nintendo have been porting their old games I assume enough people wanted them for the trend to continue. Also SF is a bite size game , I believe that most of the complaints about the PSP games were to do with games that were unsuited to portable play, I wasn't on Gaf at the time, were people really complaining about RR PSP?

Instro said:
Capcom should bring Phoenix Wright to the Cafe. I want to present evidence in HD!

I say Capcom should bring Phoenix Wright to Café, Ps3, 360, PC, NGP, 3DS and everything else that have a screen.

We can't have enough Phoenix Wright. :(

Instro

midonnay said:
has wave race been a bigger seller than fzero

wtf would you do this nintendo??! :(

I know right? You should spread the news about this betrayal on twitter, or other game sites even.

Amir0x is gonna have to ban himself for posting false info

Utako

Banned
Amir0x said:
and then the big gamble, which I think Nintendo is counting on, is that developers won't be ready yet (or won't want to invest) in new engines and all that R&D for the PS4 and Xbox 3 in 2013 or 14, so the Stream would become the lead platform by default.

I think it could work out for them
Major shops have already started that stuff, like, last year. They're going to be ready.

Instro

AniHawk said:
whatever retro's working on, i'm sure miyamoto will be right there with them to sabotage the project.

Its ok man, one day Retro will make something you do like.

AlexMeloche said:
I say Capcom should bring Phoenix Wright to Café, Ps3, 360, PC, NGP, 3DS and everything else that have a screen.

We can't have enough Phoenix Wright. :(

Well technically the 3DS already has PW vs PL coming...speaking of which I cant wait to get more info on that at E3. Fuck yeah.

Glass Joe

Yeah even though I have one, I have to admit that Nintendo was simply being arrogant with the 3DS launch. They thought the 3D gimmick and brand name would sell itself. Especially if those part prices are true, it launched a good $50 higher than it should have too.

Hopefully that arrogance isn't on display for Wii 2, which also has the benefit of a successful predecessor. Although looking at the current 3DS retail climate, Nintendo's probably learning a couple hard lessons to not repeat. Hopefully they didn't have any Cafe strategies etched in stone.

And as others have pointed out, console exclusives or even timed exclusives seem to be fading in popularity. GTA 5: Timed exclusive on Cafe? Not likely. I should have thought harder before trying to illustrate my point (that likely Nintendo will try to make gamers take notice that they are getting the games people want). However, GTA 5: With Cafe exclusive content (bonus missions, better graphics, etc) is not beyond the realm of possibility. And still, stuff like Resident Evil 6 being exclusive wouldn't shock me.

carlo6529

Anticitizen One said:
I hope Nintendo launches Cafe with an AAA Mario game. We haven't seen a strong nintendo launch since N64.

Seeing how they are working on Mario 3DS, I don't see this happening for launch.

AniHawk said:
whatever retro's working on, i'm sure miyamoto will be right there with them to sabotage the project.
I swear one of these days Ani I'm going to find out where you live and I'm going to send some of those NSFW Scorpion Werewolf paintings of Amir0x to your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom