• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
I expect we will see packs from everyones favorite company who is going to feel the need to get like 30 games for the launch window

Ubisoft re-relaunches all the Rabbids games for the low price of $70!

AniHawk

antonz said:
I expect we will see packs from everyones favorite company who is going to feel the need to get like 30 games for the launch window

rayman 2 nonalogy, containing every edition of rayman 2 eveeeeerrrrrrrr

Amir0x

Banned
Billychu said:
It's great for people like me who somehow missed tons of high profile games this generation. Although I'd rather buy the PC versions as long as it's a decent PC port.

people always want all these games then of course they don't buy the systems they're all on. What changed now? Why jump to Stream instead of buying a $149 Xbox or some shit? If it was money, this is a cheaper option. It won't be motion controls now!

I'll never understand people who call themselves 'gamers' but don't get all the games they apparently want. These systems are dirt cheap now, so the 'poor' excuse holds up less every day.

Emitan

Ubisoft Launch Collection Collection. A Blu-Ray disk packed full of those awful shovelware games that only sell at launch!

Amir0x said:
people always want all these games then of course they don't buy the systems they're all on. What changed now? Why jump to Stream instead of buying a $149 Xbox or some shit? If it was money, this is a cheaper option. It won't be motion controls now!

I'll never understand people who call themselves 'gamers' but don't get all the games they apparently want. These systems are dirt cheap now, so the 'poor' excuse holds up less every day.
Let's pretend for a moment I don't have a gaming PC. Could I buy Dead Space 1 and 2 now? Sure. But if I knew that a Dead Space collection was coming to Stream with both games on one disk, with all the DLC and bonus stuff included and with better graphics wouldn't it make sense to wait for that version?

Instro

It would be a bit troublesome if devs only bring ports for launch. They'll charge high prices and expect them to sell even though most people have already played those games on other systems already.

Amir0x

Banned
Instro said:
It would be a bit troublesome if devs only bring ports for launch. They'll charge high prices and expect them to sell even though most people have already played those games on other systems already.

Of course they won't only bring ports to launch. At worst, you'd get a 3DS launch that is so barren that everybody takes to calling a year old Street Fighter port the best launch game

which is still totally awful in every way, of course, but naturally some dev or another will bring original titles

Zeliard

Amir0x said:

For anyone upgrading their computer around now (or building a new one), which many people are because it's a great time to do so, you owe it to yourself to go snag a Wii and some games, dump them to your rig and Dolphinize them shits.

People, do yourselves a favor. Seriously. Compatibility for many Wii games is quite high. It's so worth it. It'll tide you over nicely until Nintendo's next system comes out.

Well, if the goss about dev kits being in the hands of (some) third parties for months (poss. last year) is true, I'd hope we'll see more than rushjobs and ports for an early-mid-2012 launch...

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
Of course they won't only bring ports to launch. At worst, you'd get a 3DS launch that is so barren that everybody takes to calling a year old Street Fighter port the best launch game

which is still totally awful in every way, of course, but naturally some dev or another will bring original titles
why can't a good game still be a good game?

i know you're gonna say "omg broken no stick support!"

But not everybody has to play it like that to enjoy it.

Zeliard said:
For anyone upgrading their computer around now (or building a new one), which many people are because it's a great time to do so, you owe it to yourself to go snag a Wii and some games, dump them to your rig and Dolphinize them shits.

People, do yourselves a favor. Seriously. Compatibility for many Wii games is quite high. It's so worth it. It'll tide you over nicely until Nintendo's next system comes out.

This.
Dolphin%202011-02-06%2010-14-46-40.bmp

Dolphin%202011-02-06%2022-42-35-43.bmp

Dolphin is amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
Billychu said:
Let's pretend for a moment I don't have a gaming PC. Could I buy Dead Space 1 and 2 now? Sure. But if I knew that a Dead Space collection was coming to Stream with both games on one disk, with all the DLC and bonus stuff included and with better graphics wouldn't it make sense to wait for that version?

But you don't. In all likelihood, you'll be waiting an eternity for some Stream version that doesn't exist. If in all this time you avoided these games, AND you do have a gaming level PC, it makes even less sense that one of your big hopes for Stream is fucking port trilogy packs.

The question remains why up until now did you wait to buy these games? No way you could have predicted what Nintendo's new system would be like in any event. So you were avoiding them for some bizarre reason.

Boney said:
why can't a good game still be a good game?

i know you're gonna say "omg broken no stick support!"

But not everybody has to play it like that to enjoy it.

Well yes, it is the worst version - that goes without saying. But even the worst version of Street Fighter IV is a good game.

The problem is when people go about saying Street Fighter is the reason to buy a 3DS at the moment. When your system launch is being defined by ancient ports, surprise, your launch fucking sucked. If you're having a conversation and you use Street Fighter as proof that 3DS launch was good, you've lost me and every sane human being on this Earth.

But we've gone over this before.

KAL2006

Banned
antonz said:

I expect the big multiplatform games to be released for Wii 2 with superior graphics and optional WiiMote pointer controls

So the popular big multiplatform games are
COD (the latest one that will be announced at E3)
Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare
Dark Souls
SSFIV
MvC3
Mortal Kombat
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
GTA5
Battlefield 3
Saints Row 3
LA Noir
Batman Arkham City
RAGE
Street Fighter X Tekken

Basically from this point Wii2 will get all the multiplatform PS3/360 games too

maeda

Amir0x said:
god no more ancient games/ports defining new systems launches PLZ

i'm already tired of Stream's launch lineup and we're like 12 months away *groan*
Do you really expect anything other than ports from 3rd parties? The best case scenario will be people getting ports of more up to date stuff like Bioshock Infinite or Mass Effect 3...

Hiro

Banned
KAL2006 said:
I expect the big multiplatform games to be released for Wii 2 with superior graphics and optional WiiMote pointer controls

So the popular big multiplatform games are
COD (the latest one that will be announced at E3)
Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare
Dark Souls
SSFIV
MvC3
Mortal Kombat
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
GTA5
Battlefield 3
Saints Row 3
LA Noir
Batman Arkham City
RAGE
Street Fighter X Tekken

Basically from this point Wii2 will get all the multiplatform PS3/360 games too

How about no. We should have new games, not rehashes of old or older games and ports. No fucking thank you. And not only continuations of established IPs either, but the encouragement and fostering of new IPs.

AniHawk said:
rayman 2 nonalogy, containing every edition of rayman 2 eveeeeerrrrrrrr
it'll be like mortal kombat trilogy or hyper street fighter ii, letting you mix and match different versions of rayman and each character and world from each port of the game

Amir0x

Banned
maeda said:
Do you really expect anything other than ports from 3rd parties? The best case scenario will be people getting ports of more up to date stuff like Bioshock Infinite or Mass Effect 3...

i don't expect anything from any launch. All launches are terrible

doesn't mean I condone it, though, or it's not a problem worth complaining about.

maeda

Amir0x said:
i don't expect anything from any launch. All launches are terrible

doesn't mean I condone it, though, or it's not a problem worth complaining about.
Hopefully Nintendo won't dick out on us like they did with 3DS and hold too many games back.
And people really need a reality check. New IPs for a Nintendo platform from 3rd parties. Yeah, right! Again, we'll be lucky do get half decent ports.

maeda said:

If the rumours about the architecture and power of the system hold up, I fully expect to see PS360Stream releases from 2012 onward. It's rare enough for the PS3/360 to get true exclusives from third parties as it is, and I can't see that changing with Stream outside of whatever partnerships and marketing deals Nintendo make (Monster Hunter Tri-style).

Amir0x said:
Well yes, it is the worst version - that goes without saying. But even the worst version of Street Fighter IV is a good game.

It's definitely not the worst version. That would go to the iphone version, which is still good for what it is.

Glass Joe

Quiet, small, power efficient machine VS large powerful box
affordable design VS cutting edge technology
learning from their rivals VS sticking to their guns
keeping most things in-house vs partnering with outsiders

Nintendo rumors are always interesting. My predictions:

*Graphics will be an incremental leap past PS3, but not a generational leap.
*Small, quiet design in comparison to 360.
*$299 - $349
*Expensive controllers around $79.
*EVERY game can fully stream to controller (no need to have TV on).
*New game medium. Holds more then DVD but less than Blu-Ray.
*Marketing will focus on it being more of an entertainment/media system. How the NES got in stores is how Cafe will try to get into homes.
*Will launch with a hot game that shows off multiplayer. Either New Super Mario World, Mario Kart or Smash Bros Curb Stomp, with my guess being New SMW.
*Will have a full exclusive, or at least timed exclusive of a regarded mature 3rd party IP for the launch window. My guess is GTA5 and/or Resident Evil 6.
*Online will suck or be great (with partner help). No guesses for me here.

Amir0x

Banned
Glass Joe said:
*Will have a full exclusive, or at least timed exclusive of a regarded mature 3rd party IP for launch window... My guess is GTA5 and/or Resident Evil 6.

LOL

God speculation threads are amazing

bridegur

Quick, someone start a rumor about a new Wave Race for Stream so I can delude myself into thinking one exists for a month or so.

Responding to AceBandage's "Nintendo Select" comment in the ther thread:

AceBandage said:
A bit off topic, but it seems Nintendo is re-releasing some Wii games at discounted prices.
Zelda:TP, Mario Sluggers and Wii Sports are all being sold for like $20 under the Nintendo Select brand.

I saw that this might have eventually been the case.

His source:

AceBandage said:
Can't. A friend sent me a retail listing from Target that showed those games as coming out next month.

Thought it was worth bringing here. :p

bridegur said:
Quick, someone start a rumor about a new Wave Race for Stream so I can delude myself into thinking one exists for a month or so.

High Voltage Software was apparently asked by Nintendo to give them the coding for their water used in their engine.

Hero of Legend said:
Responding to AceBandage's "Nintendo Select" comment in the ther thread:

Called it!

His source:

Thought it was worth bringing here. :p

Also, it may be WSR (sans Motion+), not WiiSports. I'll have my friend show it to me again tomorrow and try to remember the date.

Glass Joe

Amir0x said:
LOL

God speculation threads are amazing

Maybe "definitive version" if not timed exclusive, then? I think the partnership is regarding 3rd party games. They've done it with RE and the GTA rumor showed up somewhere. Or maybe I'm just shoehorning MY hopes instead of reality :-/

Amir0x

Banned
Glass Joe said:
Maybe "definitive version" if not timed exclusive, then? I think the partnership is regarding 3rd party games. They've done it with RE and the GTA rumor showed up somewhere. Or maybe I'm just shoehorning MY hopes instead of reality :-/

Don't try to convince me, it's your fantasy. Go wild, yo! LOL

Hiro

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
If the rumours about the architecture and power of the system hold up, I fully expect to see PS360Stream releases from 2012 onward. It's rare enough for the PS3/360 to get true exclusives from third parties as it is, and I can't see that changing with Stream outside of whatever partnerships and marketing deals Nintendo make (Monster Hunter Tri-style).

This is suppose to be the launch of the 8th generation of consoles, not 'oh hey, lets not be creative at all and just port all 7th gen titles and pass them off as 8th gen games and titles'.

Zeliard

Glass Joe said:

It is enormously unlikely that Nintendo will ever get something like a timed exclusive of a mainline GTA game.

Amir0x said:
RUMOUR: Retro said to be working on a 'fluid' racer...
I hope that means F-Zero ...

Edit- But really, are there any new scraps about what Retro is doing? I don't believe the "Woman who's BF works with Nintendo" BS about them doing DKCR2.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
It is enormously unlikely that Nintendo will ever get something like a timed exclusive of a mainline GTA game.

Shit, it's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would even get such a thing either. Iirc Take Two was asking some obscene price for exclusivity back in the day and the best either company would do is buy exclusive DLC which was only timed exclusive.

No way would Nintendo top whatever Sony and MS were offering there

Starchasing said:
maybe because its being released in 18 months??? its going to be a long long wait
We don't know how far away we are and Wii name was announced in March.
I'm guessing Wii will be out before next E3 due to it being playable at this one....?

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
Shit, it's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would even get such a thing either. Iirc Take Two was asking some obscene price for exclusivity back in the day and the best either company would do is buy exclusive DLC which was only timed exclusive.

Yep it's much more likely for Take-Two to use DLC for purposes of exclusivity. They apparently made some good bank off the Episodes from Liberty City DLC by selling it as a timed exclusive to Microsoft, so that's a viable strategy for them.

Glass Joe

Zeliard said:

I used GTA as it'd been mentioned, though it does seem exceedingly unlikely. I was trying to convey a mature rated, highly regarded 3rd party IP. Those have always been missing @ launch, and in general. Insert any realistic game instead.

Amir0x said:

The problem is when people go about saying Street Fighter is the reason to buy a 3DS at the moment. When your system launch is being defined by ancient ports, surprise, your launch fucking sucked. If you're having a conversation and you use Street Fighter as proof that 3DS launch was good, you've lost me and every sane human being on this Earth.

It's the only way you can play SF4 on the move with buttons, I think most sane people would think that was a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Glass Joe said:
I used GTA as it'd been mentioned, though it does seem exceedingly unlikely. I was trying to convey a mature rated, highly regarded 3rd party IP. Those have always been missing @ launch, and in general. Insert any realistic assumption instead.

Well it's extremely unlikely Resident Evil 6 would be ready for Stream's launch (or, heck, even PS360 release) any time in the next year - so that definitely cuts out the chance it'd be out for the launch of Nintendo's platform.

Really, I think Stream's ideal is to get developers on board porting again. I think the best you'd see is the definitive version of some mature game getting a slightly early release for Stream launch for marketing purposes.

Big One

Banned
My guesses for lineup shown at E3:

Mario
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
New IP done by Retro
F-Zero
Mario Kart
New Miyamoto directed IP
Pikmin
+Lots of ports

As for stuff like GTAV...we'll wait and see. Iwata made some comments recently basically saying he's willing to take some risks for Cafe, so if they can seal a big game like that with Nintendollars somehow or another it would certainly be an interesting direction for Rockstar or any other big company in a situation like that. I could imagine tons of outrage

KAL2006

Banned
Hiro said:
This is suppose to be the launch of the 8th generation of consoles, not 'oh hey, lets not be creative at all and just port all 7th gen titles and pass them off as 8th gen games and titles'.

Eh I expect Wii2 to just be another 7th gen console that is more powerful, kind of like the PC that gets superior versions of multiplatform games. So games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim will look way better on Wii2 than PS3/360 versions. I don't think developers will risk making an exclusive game that is high budget exclusively for Wii2. Well maybe we will start seeing Wii2/PC exclusives, perhaps they can port Witcher 2 to Wii2. Maybe we won't get ports of old HD games, but all future HD games that are getting released after Wii2 release will most definitely be multiplatform across Wii2/PC/PS3/360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom