• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrawlMan

FunkyPajamas said:
I swear one of these days Ani I'm going to find out where you live and I'm going to send some of those NSFW Scorpion Werewolf paintings of Amir0x to your house.

It's not like hes wrong :p Miyamoto recommended adding blowing to DKC:R.

ReyVGM

Man, 5 weeks left until this thing is revealed. I haven't been so anxious for an announcement like this to be made since the N64 days.

ReyVGM

maeda said:
I wonder if we'll see a dilogy packs like Dead Space, Bioshock and the likes. I mean it would be an easy way to have some decent games for launch.

I think you mean "Duology" and, yes please.

AniHawk said:
whatever retro's working on, i'm sure miyamoto will be right there with them to sabotage the project.
Sabotaging it? Retro wasn't really doing anything of worth until Miyamoto stepped in and took control. I'm personally happy that Nintendo's Japan sector gets in the way so much. We may hate the waggle roll and some other things that may have been pushed, but I'm sure that DKCR would not be nearly as good if Retro were left to their own devices when developing it.

On a side note it's too bad that Amir0x locked that Wii name thread. I thought it was a good topic so I'll post my opinion here.

I remember back when they revealed the name I sincerely thought/hoped it was a joke. I thought Nintendo had made a huge mistake, but it turns out they made the right move and delivered with it. The "Wii would like to play" ads were fantastic.

-PXG-

Sketching some of my own mockups. Here is a concept for the logo at least :p

streamgnph.png

-PXG-

AceBandage said:
Whatever Retro is making, I will buy it day one.

It's good, but Nintendo would never use that font for their own name.

Oh yeah. They'll will surely go with something pretty basic, conventional, quiet and in my opinion, boring. Just something I'd thought I'd for fun :)

One big thing about the name that I wonder:

Will Nintendo go back to calling it the "Nintendo Stream"?
With the Wii, they tried to separate the name and the company. Simply calling it the Wii. Never referring to it (in print or speech) as the Nintendo Wii.
It was an interesting idea, try and push it as a product that isn't simply from a video game company.
But I have to think they'll go back to owning their own system in name.

-PXG- said:
It's yellow? I thought it was bright orange...

I'm color blind :( For real.

It's actually more of a Bronze/Gold.

Refreshment.01 said:
You completely took my responses out of context, i hope not intentionally cause that´s not politically correct.

In those quotes i was answering to people that think Nintendo will include BR playback out of the box. I hope now the reasons for my answers are clear to you now.

The Bluetooth comment was an answer to a guy that was asuming i said Nintendo doesn´t license anything, which in itself is ridiculous. :D

I'm pretty sure I had it in context
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27436265&postcount=5265

Lupin suggested a download unlock of Bluray playback and you responded to Lupin saying that they have to pay licensing fees upfront.

Eteric responded saying they eat the cost for MP3 on 3DS which you compared to Blutooth on Wii and then implied that licensing cost for Bluray had to be paid upfront if they planned to enable it later (through eShop activation code or something).

I was trying to make sense of the eating the cost upfront part that I quoted you on.
No, because Nintendo would have to eat the licensing costs upfront. And the user might pay or not for the unlocking feature. So its not asured money.
That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Why would they have to pay upfront to enable a Bluray playback feature that is paid for and then enabled by the end user later?

AniHawk

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sabotaging it? Retro wasn't really doing anything of worth until Miyamoto stepped in and took control. I'm personally happy that Nintendo's Japan sector gets in the way so much. We may hate the waggle roll and some other things that may have been pushed, but I'm sure that DKCR would not be nearly as good if Retro were left to their own devices when developing it.

miyamoto suggested metroid prime should be a first-person game, and retro put it in. then we got scanners which do nothing but to slow the game down and have your thumb leave the analog stick for one reason or another.

miyamoto suggested dk should blow things. retro put it in. it doesn't make any sense to do it and it almost never affects the level design. it's just there, and it makes the extremely bad controls even worse.

the colored doors in metroid prime and the shitty double-jumping in dkcr are probably all retro though.

No no no no!
No arguing Metroid Prime with AniHawk! This topic is about the Cafe, not AniHawk's obsessive hatred for the best game of last gen!

Lince

Banned
I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't stick with the "Waggle" (Wiimotes) for their next home console. Streaming a game to four or more different players' controllers so it's kind of a handheld coop / mp experience sounds fun though. No need for a TV anymore?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Fernando Rocker said:
I want a HUD-less sidescrolling Metroid game, 1080p at 60fps with the map and inventory on the controller screen.

That's just... Perfection right there. Get on that Nintendo.

Lince said:
I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't stick with the "Waggle" (Wiimotes) for their next home console. Streaming a game to four or more different players' controllers so it's kind of a handheld coop / mp experience sounds fun though. No need for a TV anymore?

I think Waggle is just too crowded now.
Besides, they won't be abandoning it completely, it just won't be their main focus.

Showmeyamoves said:
That's just... Perfection right there. Get on that Nintendo.

No, perfection is 1080p 60FPS hudless sidescrolling hand drawn sprites.
super_metroid-final_boss-wall_bbs-small-beam.jpg

Deku

Banned
Lince said:

We really still don't know how the controls will work and every leak seems to indicate a platform that supports multiple controls, if not out of the box, at least in parallel.

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions about what this new machine will focus on just yet.

AniHawk said:
miyamoto suggested metroid prime should be a first-person game, and retro put it in. then we got scanners which do nothing but to slow the game down and have your thumb leave the analog stick for one reason or another.

miyamoto suggested dk should blow things. retro put it in. it doesn't make any sense to do it and it almost never affects the level design. it's just there, and it makes the extremely bad controls even worse.

the colored doors in metroid prime and the shitty double-jumping in dkcr are probably all retro though.
I think you're ignoring the whole part about Miyamoto/NoJ blowing things up when they don't look good. Retro lacked direction without NoJ watching over.

For the record, I didn't mind the blow mechanic, and scanning was the death of my OCD self. FU Retro for making some enemies one-time scans.

And terrible controls for DKCR? Really man, I can understand not liking the waggle, but there DKCR is very, very solid control wise. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

Damn I can almost imagine an HUD-less Metroid. Just pure atmosphere.

Deku said:
We really still don't know how the controls will work and every leak seems to indicate a platform that supports multiple controls, if not out of the box, at least in parallel.

I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions about what this new machine will focus on just yet.

It not being a split controller and having dual analog means it won't be as motion focused as the Wii was.
Not even close.
By all accounts so far, they are focusing on a more traditional control set up, but a unique means of conveying games.

AceBandage said:
I think Waggle is just too crowded now.
Besides, they won't be abandoning it completely, it just won't be their main focus.

No, perfection is 1080p 60FPS hudless sidescrolling hand drawn sprites.
super_metroid-final_boss-wall_bbs-small-beam.jpg

*Starts slow clap*

Deku

Banned
AceBandage said:
It not being a split controller and having dual analog means it won't be as motion focused as the Wii was.
Not even close.
By all accounts so far, they are focusing on a more traditional control set up, but a unique means of conveying games.

Right, with a giant screen in the middle as a new gimmick. :p

watershed

Banned
AniHawk said:

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Also scanning was how you learned all the back story and context of what the space pirates were doing and all their experiments. I thought it was a great narrative tool that made the player feel like they were actually investigating. It also cut down the need for movie scenes which add to the game's isolating feel, at least in prime 1.

Deku said:
Right, with a giant screen in the middle as a new gimmick. :p

Apparently, the screen isn't the only gimmick, just the most noticeable.
I think that the Cafe/Stream will be the first "all in one" device from Nintendo, and we'll see more non-gaming features that you wouldn't expect.
Nothing like Facebook/Twitter/ESPN integration, but more of a Nintendo take on those kinds of things.

Amir0x said:
so horoscope access again?

More like how in the 3DS, you can post messages, but with a more active interface. That's what I'm thinking.
I also think it'll work cross platform.
Nintwitter, if you will.

Big One

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
I want a HUD-less sidescrolling Metroid game
If there is no HUD how will we know our health has been boosted or anything related to bullets or switching weapons? A HUD in Metroid is absolutely necessary

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
More like how in the 3DS, you can post messages, but with a more active interface. That's what I'm thinking.
I also think it'll work cross platform.
Nintwitter, if you will.

i really liked the idea of using the controller screen for messages to pop up from your friends (if you allow it) so you won't have to stop playing your game to read them

that's one of those 'hey you know yeah' kind of ideas

Exuro

Big One said:
If there is no HUD how will we know our health has been boosted or anything related to bullets or switching weapons? A HUD in Metroid is absolutely necessary
All of that will be on the controller.

Big One said:

Visual cues.
Suit begins to fall apart as you take more damage.
Arm cannon changes color/shape depending on weapon selected.
Have overall health tied to which suit you currently have, as well.
It would be pretty awesome.

Amir0x said:
i really liked the idea of using the controller screen for messages to pop up from your friends (if you allow it) so you won't have to stop playing your game to read them

that's one of those 'hey you know yeah' kind of ideas

If Nintendo really is billing this as a social system with a vastly improved online (as hinted by Sam) then it's definitely a possibility.
During single player, when you're not streaming your game to your controller, I can really see the screen being used for more OS features than actual gameplay features.

AceBandage said:
Apparently, the screen isn't the only gimmick, just the most noticeable.
I think that the Cafe/Stream will be the first "all in one" device from Nintendo, and we'll see more non-gaming features that you wouldn't expect.
Nothing like Facebook/Twitter/ESPN integration, but more of a Nintendo take on those kinds of things.
So they're going to gimp all of those things, but still reel me in with their first party games?

Sounds about par for the course

On the HUD-less stuff think Dead Space

KevinCow

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
I hope Nintendo launches Cafe with an AAA Mario game. We haven't seen a strong nintendo launch since N64.

I thought Gamecube had a pretty good launch, especially if you extend "launch" to the general launch window. Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Rogue Squadron 2, and Monkey Ball at launch, with Pikmin and Melee like two weeks later.

AniHawk

And terrible controls for DKCR? Really man, I can understand not liking the waggle, but there DKCR is very, very solid control wise. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

it's not a matter of not liking waggle. it's a matter of it making sense in context. in smb, back in the 80s, kids used to jerk the controller in order to give mario a little bit more airtime. it was a standard reflex. with nsmbw, they finally put it into the game. it made sense (other waggle moves in that game don't make as much sense though). donkey kong? there's no connection between rolling and waggling. the hand-slamming thing while you're standing still? eh, okay, sure. blowing air? the fuck were they thinking, seriously.

and the high-jump (off of enemies) is a problem. here's how it should have controlled: press the jump button. as long as the jump button is held down, dk will do a high-jump. here's how it works in the game: press jump, then let go of jump and press jump again before you jump on the thing you're trying to high-jump off of. on its own, this would just be a confusing decision, but coupled with the fact that dk with diddy results in the duo floating above the enemy, it makes the controls frustrating. you're given a greatly reduced window to correctly pull off a high-jump that the player can only learn through constant trial and error.

probably the only nintendo platformer i've played where jumping was fucked up.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I think you're ignoring the whole part about Miyamoto/NoJ blowing things up when they don't look good. Retro lacked direction without NoJ watching over.

For the record, I didn't mind the blow mechanic, and scanning was the death of my OCD self. FU Retro for making some enemies one-time scans.

oh i know why miyamoto stepped in in the first place. what i'm saying is that his ideas were bad. i just hoped that as of a couple of years ago, they had enough people to make the case to him why the ideas he was suggesting (like dk blowing) were bad. i kinda get the idea that they might be intimidated by him, probably for a good reason too, but they should stand up and explain why a bad design choice is a bad design choice.

on the plus side, they did basically discard it. 'oh yeah, great idea! make sure it never does anything'

AniHawk said:
it's not a matter of not liking waggle. it's a matter of it making sense in context. in smb, back in the 80s, kids used to jerk the controller in order to give mario a little bit more airtime. it was a standard reflex. with nsmbw, they finally put it into the game. it made sense (other waggle moves in that game don't make as much sense though). donkey kong? there's no connection between rolling and waggling. the hand-slamming thing while you're standing still? eh, okay, sure. blowing air? the fuck were they thinking, seriously.

and the high-jump (off of enemies) is a problem. here's how it should have controlled: press the jump button. as long as the jump button is held down, dk will do a high-jump. here's how it works in the game: press jump, then let go of jump and press jump again before you jump on the thing you're trying to high-jump off of. on its own, this would just be a confusing decision, but coupled with the fact that dk with diddy results in the duo floating above the enemy, it makes the controls frustrating. you're given a greatly reduced window to correctly pull off a high-jump that the player can only learn through constant trial and error.

probably the only nintendo platformer i've played where jumping was fucked up.
I would agree that waggle made no sense whatsoever. I really wish their had been a jump button option; it was obviously shoehorned in by Nintendo HQ. I was pissed as hell at the high jump until I went online and figured it out (the fact that I had to go online to find how it worked is a problem).

I don't know how Retro could have shown the player without explicitly stating it on screen, but they should have in some way.
oh i know why miyamoto stepped in in the first place. what i'm saying is that his ideas were bad. i just hoped that as of a couple of years ago, they had enough people to make the case to him why the ideas he was suggesting (like dk blowing) were bad. i kinda get the idea that they might be intimidated by him, probably for a good reason too, but they should stand up and explain why a bad design choice is a bad design choice.
Yeah, I dunno. The way I see it, he probably still has much more of a positive effect than a negative one on these games. I'm sure his watching over doesn't really relegate to just one design decision/idea a game, it's probably just the view that Nintendo likes to push.

But yeah I don't really disagree with you here.

Red Bull RB5

Neo Member
AniHawk said:

These were miyamotos faults? :(
I didn't like the MP games very much, but that scanning thing was imo the most annoying part of the game.
Blowing things in DKCR is just useless.

I think most of you already know that, but if you use a gecko code you can play DKCR with a Classic Controller and map the stupid waggle function to a button.
I played it with a CC Pro and it was just brilliant this way.
It's a big shame that you have to use homebrew to play the game the way it should be / YOU want it to be...

@acebandage:
Remember this:

Edge:
- Motion-sensing “better than Move”.

It doesn't fit to the other rumors, but it's the edge and I think they have a lot of credibility. I think it would be weird if they only concentrate on the new controller with a 6" screen and have barely any focus one the control type that makes them so successfull this generation.

traind

Hiro said:
Now that you mention the next Xbox as being the presumed dominant 8th gen console, I want to bring up an article I came across earlier, one that alleges that, at the earliest, we won't have a successor to the xbox 360 until 2015. See this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-looking-at-releasing-next-xbox-in-2015-2011-3

And if you read the comments to that article, I think this one is worth quoting:

(above quote credit to mjw149)

Edit: Note that the comment was made before Project Cafe was anounced, hence their ponderance about the lack of a successor to the Wii.

Hiro-- the person you quote has a few good points but is quite a bit off in regards to the big picture with Microsoft and Sony. "Could have ended Sony's dominance" ? Between Nintendo and Microsoft, they did end Sony's dominance! Sony lost half their market share in the transition to this current generation. They won the movie format war-- which is a nice consolation prize to be sure, but dropping half your market share in your most profitable business segment is very painful.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I'm pretty sure I had it in context
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27436265&postcount=5265

Lupin suggested a download unlock of Bluray playback and you responded to Lupin saying that they have to pay licensing fees upfront.

Eteric responded saying they eat the cost for MP3 on 3DS which you compared to Blutooth on Wii and then implied that licensing cost for Bluray had to be paid upfront if they planned to enable it later (through eShop activation code or something).

I was trying to make sense of the eating the cost upfront part that I quoted you on.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Why would they have to pay upfront to enable a Bluray playback feature that is paid for and then enabled by the end user later?
Ahhh! I see where the confusion steams. And clearly you werent doing things on purpose. I might´ve sounded as a bit caustic in the reply. My apologies. :D

The train of the conversation was Nintendo including Blu Ray playback, even previous to Lupin's intervention IIRC. If you see the first part of Lupin´s response: That being said, I do hope they offer Blu-ray Disc playback, as it wouldn't be terribly cost-prohibitive. My comment was in response to that part. I most admit it would have been a lot better if i also adressed the other scenario Lupin was proposing. Didn't do it cause i didn't see anything wrong with that statement and secondly the thread advances so fast i try to answer as soon as i can.

Yea, i see not so many problems with doing an Xbox type of strategy. Only thing Nintendo would have to invest in making the machine Blu Ray compliant. But like i said out of the box the higher probabilty is they won't do it. Also my intention wasn't to imply Nintendo would eat licensing costs if they opted for the unlocking strategy.

I hope to have come clear this time not just to you but Lupin also :D

traind said:
Hiro-- the person you quote has a few good points but is quite a bit off in regards to the big picture with Microsoft and Sony. "Could have ended Sony's dominance" ? Between Nintendo and Microsoft, they did end Sony's dominance! Sony lost half their market share in the transition to this current generation. They won the movie format war-- which is a nice consolation prize to be sure, but dropping half your market share in your most profitable business segment is very painful.
Damn, is gaming really their top sector? I guess that makes sense. I always viewed Sony as a more high end Music/TV company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom