• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think Nintendo could get away with a narrator at the least. It is just difficult accepting any HD game with letters of colorful text and grating chimes.

they should get dee bradley baker, and he could do his olmec voice from legends of the hidden temple.

The Lamp said:
They already know how to pull it off.

In TP there was much more dynamic acting and characterization of everyone. Everyone moved and talked around Link and asked him rhetorical questions that were designed to keep the narrative moving without Link actually having to say anything.

It would work fine if Nintendo did it, I'm sure.
If Valve can't make it work then Nintendo surely can't. Look at Other M.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
only sakamoto-written projects from here on out.
m-bison-yes-o.gif

CoffeeJanitor said:
Voice acting and animation had nothing to do with Other M's failings in story for the most part I thought the voice acting and animation was good in Other M. TP's script with VA's probably would've worked out okay. Although personally I prefered Midna's mumbo jumbo talk. Besides SF64 already proved they're capable of it(although something tells me that 95% of it was unintentional).

watershed

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:

You didn't like the VA in Half Life 2? I thought it was great and a great way to communicate a narrative without cut scenes.

artwalknoon said:
You didn't like the VA in Half Life 2? I thought it was great and a great way to communicate a narrative without cut scenes.
It also made the characters stand out more. Alex and that crazy preacher from Ravenholm would never have that kind of aura and tone in a game where the main character is constantly opening their big mouths. It feels pretty refreshing to hear the story from other perspectives when most games overcompensate with over the top dialogue to keep lesser characters relevant and interesting.
JasonMCG said:
We're on to box mock-ups now? But I haven't posted my revised controller yet! :mad:
Do it

I like your designs from an aesthetic point of view and I'd like to see what you came up with.

Chuck Norris said:
What's wrong with Half Life 2?
artwalknoon said:
Eh, I just played through it recently and while the game was fun I really wasn't a fan of the scripted sequences. Alyx was pretty annoying and Gordon is actually really effing weird when you think about it. He's just sitting there, silent, the entire game. I felt more like a bystander than anything. Storytelling usually isn't on my list of things I think of when judging games but when you put it at the forefront in HL2 you kind of have to take it into account.

But people really love it so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Voice acting and animation had nothing to do with Other M's failings in story for the most part I thought the voice acting and animation was good in Other M. TP's script with VA's probably would've worked out okay. Although personally I prefered Midna's mumbo jumbo talk. Besides SF64 already proved they're capable of it(although something tells me that 95% of it was unintentional).
Very true. I'm just saying I don't know if they can put the complete package together in terms of higher production storytelling.

mantidor

we are in Zelda VA discussion now? rumors have really dried up now.

Gibberish a la Okami or what they did with Midna is perfect. Gordon Freeman as a silent protagonist is kind of dumb sometimes because it is implied he doesn't say a single word, which is just stupid, I know it is supposed to help with the immersion but in this case a game with so many voice acting it just stands out and I think it actually does the opposite. The dialogs become absurd, "man of few words" "oh you keep quiet", etc etc, when there are freaking aliens ravaging earth it just comes off as something totally out of place.

Link on the other hand does speak, he has to have dialog, he tells his name* to people, they react to comments he makes, is only that the game never explicitly shows what his dialog is, which actually does help with immersion, you make up the words he says in your head, and the conversations feel natural.

*And also, I wouldn't like them to abandon the good old tradition of naming Link whatever you want, and is almost mandatory to remove the option if you are going to do some decent dialog for the voice acting. The mention of his name in dialogs is important.

watershed

Banned
I've come across a patent that show some early ideas for the wiimote and show how Nintendo might have approached a modular controller. It shows how a wiimote could be added to a gamecube like controller presumably for standard controls plus IR pointer. Check it out starting on page 23 on down in this pdf: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7931535.pdf

M74

artwalknoon said:
I've come across a patent that show some early ideas for the wiimote and show how Nintendo might have approached a modular controller. It shows how a wiimote could be added to a gamecube like controller presumably for standard controls plus IR pointer. Check it out starting on page 23 on down in this pdf: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7931535.pdf
Wasn't this the original plan for the Wii CC, to actually plug into the shell?

mj1108

M74 said:
Wasn't this the original plan for the Wii CC, to actually plug into the shell?

It was never announced as the original plan. From the patent pictures though it looks like the idea was at least toyed with....and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a prototype or two somewhere inside of Nintendo's HQ.

edit: This patent shows a few more things they considered with it. For one a 6 button controller (great for fighting games), a SNES controller and a NES controller.

bridegur

The voices in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are as close as Zelda games should ever come to voice acting. I can't imagine anything else working.

Aggelos

ntropy said:
sounds so silly for orchestra. i guess my ears are prejudiced after the sofia recital

Why man? We can celebrate the fantastic Nintendo news with some cool orchestrations (such as Leonidas Leonardi,Sir Henry Wood and Lucien Cailliet! Yay!!)

What Sofia recital?

ecosse_011172

More rumours.....

http://purenintendo.com/2011/04/26/more-project-cafe-rumors-games-to-be-shown-off-at-e3/

- Nintendo are planning a full reveal of the console, controller and 1st/2nd party games at E3.

- The console is confirmed to be backwards compatible with all Wii/Gamecube titles, and all your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system.

- Many 3rd party developers have development kits who are supposedly hard at work to have something to show (and play) at E3.

- 3rd Parties were involved with the development of the console, with requests for what specifications they’d like to see. As of now (which could change) the system runs of a custom built IBM triple-core CPU and has 2gb RAM. The graphics chip is a custom built Radeon R700 chip.

- There is an internal SSD. Size is unknown at this point.

- It will run natively at 1080p.

- The new controller slightly resembles a Gamecube controller with a large LCD screen in the middle of it. The controller is light for its size and looks like a tablet with Gamecube-like prongs to the side. It has dual analogue sticks, face buttons, d-pad and shoulder buttons. No triggers were on the device.

- The screen on the controller is indeed a 6″ LCD high resolution (reported 640 x 960 pixels) display. However, Nintendo said in order to keep battery life manageable, the controller doesn’t have any hardware to produce graphics itself. The image is simply a video stream directly from the console.

- The controller uses rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Size of the battery is unknown.

- The Wiimote can be used and a new model of Wiimote will be released with the console. This new controller will have overhauled internals allowing for much more precise movement tracking than even the Wiimote Plus had.

- The Project Cafe system development kit is not representative of the final console design. The console is smaller and resembles the Japanese/European SNES models.

- Nintendo have told developers that their online system will be ‘the best online experience’ that’s available on consoles. The whole idea of the machine is to be connected to the internet 24/7. It’s being targeted as an online/social console. Friend codes are gone, but no word on whether the online service will be subscription based.

- The Pokemon RPG is the title Nintendo will be showing off their online experience with.

- As reported by other sources, Nintendo is targeting this console to the hardcore gamers once again.

- Nintendo is planning on some sophisticated inter-game communication between the 3DS and the console. Nintendo didn’t explain what they’re planning on.

To be shown at E3:

Nintendo:
- Pikmin 3 (playable, launch title)
- Pokemon RPG (video, launch or near launch title)
- Super Mario Bros title (playable)
- Star Fox (playable)
- Smash Bros 4 (playable)
- Mario Kart (video)
- Zelda (tech demo)
- Metroid (tech demo)
- New IP (video)

Rockstar Games:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (video)
- Grand Theft Auto “New Title” (video)

Ubisoft:
- Rayman Legends (playable)
- Red Steel 3 (playable)
- New IP (video)

SquareEnix:
- Final Fantasy XV

Capcom:
- Resident Evil (video)
- Megaman (video)
- Monster Hunter (video)

EA:
- NBA ’13 (video)
- NFL ’13 (video)
- NHL ’13 (video)

Activision:
- Modern Warfare 3 (video)

Konami:
- Metal Gear title (video)
- Winning Eleven (video)

Namco:
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (playable)
- Soul Calibur 5 (video)
- Pacman Rebirth (video)

The Lamp said:
They let Samus talk in Other M, and Retro actually did it decently in MP3.
It's funny that so many complained about no VA in Twilight Princess and lauded MP3 while the characters in TP had infinitely more vitality and personality.
all your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system.
Bad timing on revealing this detail.

Instro said:
Its not like VA itself was that bad in Other M, the dialogue was just poorly written at times.
Yeah, I was just goofing. But still. Giving Link a voice would be awful. I'm 100% against it.

Also, "at times" poorly written? I'd say mostly poorly written, myself. The story has some cool concepts, but ugh... Not a fan of Other M.

Kibbles

Yea I don't believe that list for a second. A bunch of known series and then "New IP", with no name. Just seems like it was thrown in there to make it sound like it's real, but totally backfired.

Nintendo:
- Star Fox (playable)
- Mario Kart (video)
- Zelda (tech demo)
- Metroid (tech demo)
- New IP (video)

No F-Zero? Seems shaky. There's no better franchise to showcase a generational leap in graphics.

Big One

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
No F-Zero?
Yeah I think F-Zero is pretty likely myself, actually. I mean it was in the patent shown a couple of days ago...did anyone ever confirm what that was relative to?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ecosse_011172 said:
More rumours.....

http://purenintendo.com/2011/04/26/more-project-cafe-rumors-games-to-be-shown-off-at-e3/

- Nintendo are planning a full reveal of the console, controller and 1st/2nd party games at E3.

- The console is confirmed to be backwards compatible with all Wii/Gamecube titles, and all your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system.

- Many 3rd party developers have development kits who are supposedly hard at work to have something to show (and play) at E3.

- 3rd Parties were involved with the development of the console, with requests for what specifications they’d like to see. As of now (which could change) the system runs of a custom built IBM triple-core CPU and has 2gb RAM. The graphics chip is a custom built Radeon R700 chip.

- The new controller slightly resembles a Gamecube controller with a large LCD screen in the middle of it. The controller is light for its size and looks like a tablet with Gamecube-like prongs to the side. It has dual analogue sticks, face buttons, d-pad and shoulder buttons. No triggers were on the device.

- The screen on the controller is indeed a 6″ LCD high resolution (reported 640 x 960 pixels) display. However, Nintendo said in order to keep battery life manageable, the controller doesn’t have any hardware to produce graphics itself. The image is simply a video stream directly from the console.

- The controller uses rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Size of the battery is unknown.

- The Wiimote can be used and a new model of Wiimote will be released with the console. This new controller will have overhauled internals allowing for much more precise movement tracking than even the Wiimote Plus had.

- The Project Cafe system development kit is not representative of the final console design. The console is smaller and resembles the Japanese/European SNES models.

- Nintendo have told developers that their online system will be ‘the best online experience’ that’s available on consoles. The whole idea of the machine is to be connected to the internet 24/7. It’s being targeted as an online/social console. Friend codes are gone, but no word on whether the online service will be subscription based.

- The Pokemon RPG is the title Nintendo will be showing off their online experience with.

- As reported by other sources, Nintendo is targeting this console to the hardcore gamers once again.

- Nintendo is planning on some sophisticated inter-game communication between the 3DS and the console. Nintendo didn’t explain what they’re planning on.

To be shown at E3:

*blah*
Game list aside, these peculiar rumours aren't stretching it too far. BELIEVE!

M74

I know it's just 4chan, but if it turns out there are no triggers, developers will likely see that as an unnecessary limitation to their porting abilities.

Also, I've never bought anything through the shop using a credit card. I always used point cards (in light of the Sony breach, the over-protectiveness of my credit information is totally vindicated). How will I be able to transfer downloads? Please give people like me a solution, Nintendo!

Kard8p3

Kibbles said:
Yea I don't believe that list for a second. A bunch of known series and then "New IP", with no name. Just seems like it was thrown in there to make it sound like it's real, but totally backfired.

While I agree with you that the list is fake most are expecting Miyamoto's new IP to be at E3.

artwalknoon said:

Interesting layout of buttons on the GCN-like controller. Imagine them just sticking a screen over the Wiimote cavity area and adding start/home/select just below. You could have the best of everything, a (hopefully improved) Wiimote for pointer and motion control, dual analog and shoulder buttons/face buttons for traditional gaming, and the screen for steaming.

Codeblue

I don't think any rumor that says that friend codes are gone can be taken seriously. It's obvious Nintendo wants them around, and now that it's unified, it's not that big a deal.

M74

Kard8p3 said:
While I agree with you that the list is fake most are expecting Miyamoto's new IP to be at E3.
The so-called "Mermaid" IP? We've been waiting for forever. Also, PIKMIN 3!

Kard8p3

M74 said:
The so-called "Mermaid" IP? We've been waiting for forever. Also, PIKMIN 3!

Nah we haven't been waiting forever on Miyamoto's new IP. Last year is when he mentioned it and he said he'd have something to show us this year. E3 has always been when I expected to see it.

sfried

M74 said:
I know it's just 4chan, but if it turns out there are no triggers, developers will likely see that as an unnecessary limitation to their porting abilities.
Unless it's GCN style squichy triggers with clicky shoulders at end.

ecosse_011172 said:
More rumours.....

To be shown at E3:

Nintendo:
- Star Fox (playable)
- Mario Kart (video)
- Zelda (tech demo)
- Metroid (tech demo)
- New IP (video)

Rockstar Games:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (video)
- Grand Theft Auto “New Title” (video)

Ubisoft:
- Rayman Legends (playable)
- Red Steel 3 (playable)
- New IP (video)

SquareEnix:
- Final Fantasy XV

Capcom:
- Resident Evil (video)
- Megaman (video)
- Monster Hunter (video)

EA:
- NBA ’13 (video)
- NFL ’13 (video)
- NHL ’13 (video)

Activision:
- Modern Warfare 3 (video)

Konami:
- Metal Gear title (video)
- Winning Eleven (video)

Namco:
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (playable)
- Soul Calibur 5 (video)
- Pacman Rebirth (video)

This seems like the biggest load of...

Surely there must be one dev out there working on Cafe who likes to buck authority, fight the man so to speak.

C'mon, throw a dog a bone. Give us some juicy tidbits.

Don't worry, you'll be alright. I promise we won't tell. You can trust GAF ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rich creamy bullshit all through that rumour list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom