• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Also on that box art thing I brought up:

Would it really hurt to just make ESRB ratings a sticker on the outside of the plastic wrapping?

Once I read that bit about Pokemon I knew it was da fakez.

No way they're gonna make a TRUE Pokemon console game NOW when they have the 3DS which can actually do what most people want from a "true console Pokemon" game.

M74

sfried said:
Unless it's GCN style squichy triggers with clicky shoulders at end.
That still wouldn't solve the problem. Think about it. What you're suggesting is going through one command to activate the second command; not going to fly in most cases, unless it's something like what Mario Sunshine did. That's not the industry standard control scheme and it's an unwanted hurdle.

Big One said:
Also on that box art thing I brought up:

Would it really hurt to just make ESRB ratings a sticker on the outside of the plastic wrapping?
Anything less than a permanent indicator of child scarring potential would make the politicians cry.

sfried

M74 said:
That still wouldn't solve the problem. Think about it. What you're suggesting is going through one command to activate the second command; not going to fly in most cases, unless it's something like what Mario Sunshine did. That's not the industry standard control scheme and it's an unwanted hurdle.
There was always the Z-trigger. And last I've heard it was the lack of stick-triggers that crippled some control schemes on GCN.

ecosse_011172 said:
More rumours.....
edna-krabappel.jpg

AniHawk

artwalknoon said:
Yeah that rumor and especially that game list is nothing more than a complete load of....
Seriously look at how many "playable" Nintendo games are listed there. That is not happening.

maybe each one is made by one australian man.

M74

sfried said:
There was always the Z-trigger. And last I've heard it was the lack of stick-triggers that crippled some control schemes on GCN.
That was another problem altogether. The analog triggers are a good thing, but only when there are also two shoulder buttons.

Big One

Banned
M74 said:
Anything less than a permanent indicator of child scarring potential would make the politicians cry.
Perhaps, but isn't the law basically that new games cannot be sold without an ESRB rating on them? It's not like it wouldn't be there. Used games would have to be given ESRB stickers by retailers...god forbid making the very, very busy workers of Gamestop do something more than stand behind the counter all day.

Mael

CoffeeJanitor said:
That Wii name thread may have done him in, I'm not sure

I think bumpers just look more modern. Slapping a Cafe logo on the game just might not look good.

Aw who am I kidding I don't know what I'm talking about

I believe it was the Sonic thread actually...

That list up there is really BS without even checking, seriously you don't even tie a CC number to Wii and to transfer your data over to the successor you'd have to do it?
Heck there's a procedure to transfer VC/WW credential between Wii and it would be surprising that it would be something more in that kind of things.

Triton55

Wait... was that online part originally in the 4chan rumor list, and was that from before 1up started detailing the online? Because that matches up pretty well with what 1up has been saying

Suzzopher

your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system.

That is where I stopped. Nintendo don't store your CC details. In Europe at least, you have to enter them every single time.

watershed

Banned
Triton55 said:
Wait... was that online part originally in the 4chan rumor list, and was that from before 1up started detailing the online? Because that matches up pretty well with what 1up has been saying

That new rumor is a mix of previously reported rumors, Gaf speculation from this very thread, a lot of wishful thinking, and a helping hand of complete bullshit.

Mael said:
I believe it was the Sonic thread actually...
Yeah I was reading through that. Only saw one or two of his posts but he was basically ripping Sonic 06 a bunch. Maybe he said other things before that as well.

This definitely does seem like 05-06 all over again, except I'm 5 years older and that much less gullible.

Mael

CoffeeJanitor said:
Yeah I was reading through that. Only saw one or two of his posts but he was basically ripping Sonic 06 a bunch. Maybe he said other things before that as well.

This definitely does seem like 05-06 all over again, except I'm 5 years older and that much less gullible.

He was ripping on the Adventure games also,
he seemed uncharacteristically abrasive in that thread compared to his usual contribution so I guess that did it....
I don't see any other reason.

And yeah this will be fun to look in retrospect

Pocks said:
I'll eat my shoe if Project Cafe has an SSD.
Yeah, really. We'll get like 16GB of flash memory if we're really lucky. Not that's the only bullshit part of this rumor. Too many IPs, too many unlikely sequels, Mario Kart and Star Fox games so close to 3DS versions... Usual fanboy wishlist. Nothing to see here...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Suzzopher said:
That is where I stopped. Nintendo don't store your CC details. In Europe at least, you have to enter them every single time.
Not just that. Why would you ever have to enter a credit card to transfer stuff you probably bought with prepaid points cards? It doesn't make a lick of sense. The 3DS allows you to transfer your DSi purchases and *shocking!* no credit card is needed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Death Dealer said:
Really hard to believe Rockstar is ready show a RDR2 video already.

It's also hard to believe it'll be called RDR2 and not continue the tradition of replacing the final 'R' word. First Revolver, then Redemption and the third title will surely be named something else. There really isn't anywhere to go with an actual Redemption sequel considering
in the final act you play as John's son and get your revenge

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
JaseC said:
It's also hard to believe it'll be called RDR2 and not continue the tradition of replacing the final 'R' word. First Revolver, then Redemption and the third title will surely be named something else. There really isn't anywhere to go with an actual Redemption sequel considering
in the final act you play as John's son and get your revenge
Red Dead Revolution :p

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wolves Evolve said:
Its like someone make a rumour list thats so easy to pick apart for falsehoods, its an entertaining game in itself.

We should make a GAF one and see how far it gets.

Mr_Brit

Banned
I think that a small SSD(16-32GB) is a very likely addition as I can't see Nintendo sticking a 250GB HDD in there and the cost of an SSD would be smaller and would fall a lot faster with time than a traditional HDD.

They can also use an SSD as a sort of very fast cache similar to the way PS3/360 do it except a lot faster. This would greatly improve loading times which is something Nintendo like to keep as quick as possible.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mr_Brit said:
I think that a small SSD(16-32GB) is a very likely addition as I can't see Nintendo sticking a 250GB HDD in there and the cost of an SSD would be smaller and would fall a lot faster with time than a traditional HDD.

Storage and media is going to be interesting.

I agree HDD isn't very Nintendo at all, and they definitely aren't going to have split-skus and add-ons. It's all going to probably come down to cost as always though.

Maaseru

Banned
Too damn good to be true even 1/10th of it, but if only the Pokemon RPG rumors is true. If only that. Then NINTENDO just won the console race years ahead of time and in a single battle. Hell if the Pokemon MMO is true then both Sony and Ms will be too late because the system will have sold to many millions by the time they come out.

Haha it's good to dream, but the one idea that would make Nintendo an instant cash machine would be a Pokemon, console, full ,rpg, and still they haven't done it. Even if it was the best idea ever back in the GC era.

mj1108

Instro said:
Arnt those rumors the ones from the ign boards that were posted the other day?

Those rumors sound like they originated from the IGN Boards and are nothing more than a fanboys wet dream.

Xane

ecosse_011172 said:
More rumours.....

http://purenintendo.com/2011/04/26/more-project-cafe-rumors-games-to-be-shown-off-at-e3/

(...)

- Nintendo have told developers that their online system will be ‘the best online experience’ that’s available on consoles. The whole idea of the machine is to be connected to the internet 24/7. It’s being targeted as an online/social console. Friend codes are gone, but no word on whether the online service will be subscription based.

- The Pokemon RPG is the title Nintendo will be showing off their online experience with.

(...)
It was pretty believable until this.

ecosse_011172 said:
(...)

To be shown at E3:

Nintendo:
- Pikmin 3 (playable, launch title)
- Pokemon RPG (video, launch or near launch title)
- Super Mario Bros title (playable)
- Star Fox (playable)
- Smash Bros 4 (playable)
- Mario Kart (video)
- Zelda (tech demo)
- Metroid (tech demo)
- New IP (video)

(...)
Ok, definitely fake...

DECK'ARD said:
I agree HDD isn't very Nintendo at all, and they definitely aren't going to have split-skus and add-ons. It's all going to probably come down to cost as always though.
I don't think sku splitting is the problem. Nintendo isn't a multiple console sku kind of company. The problem is moving parts. Nintendo prides itself on rock solid hardware. A standard HDD breaks too easily for them to consider it. No matter what, they'll use a storage solution that has no moving parts. SSD or flash media. My money is on flash.

evangd007

artwalknoon said:
I've come across a patent that show some early ideas for the wiimote and show how Nintendo might have approached a modular controller. It shows how a wiimote could be added to a gamecube like controller presumably for standard controls plus IR pointer. Check it out starting on page 23 on down in this pdf: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7931535.pdf

So wait, some of those mock-up monstrosities in the other thread were at some point considered by Nintendo? Whoa.

Instro said:

Before that they were on 4chan, so somebody is getting their money's worth with that troll attempt.

Not saying it's true or not but I don't see why those rumors are so unbelievable. They gave some details on things that we hinted at by everybody and their brother spouting rumors saying improved online, hardcore, developer input, etc (no friend codes, 6 inch screen with gc handles, 2GB ram, r700 chip (which is different from saying architecture as this refers to a specific chip, could just be bad wording though)). It's all right in the ballpark of what others were saying.

And the game list is pretty normal too. Nintendo's games are just about the same game list that's at every announcement of every console they introduce, sprinkled in with a few others that we heavily suspect are coming already like pikmin and miyamoto game. Smash 4 would kinda surprise me though and pokemon rpg finally on a home console would be new but couldn't say it wasn't a long time coming.

The third party games are decent but nothing shocking. RDR2 and GTA being the biggest differences from past Nintendo consoles, but if the power is correct I don't see why they wouldn't get the ports. Nintendo has been trying to get R* to blow it's load into their mouth since 2003.

The others.... Metal Gear (on 3ds also), Ubi being Ubi, Capcom being Capcom (can't wait for resident evil shooter 288303, hopefully not though), even Wii has COD from Activision so we know that's coming, FF is a platform whore now and I wouldn't expect anything more than a "please look forward to FFXV in 2018" with a 5 second clip or just a logo. Or wait, they'd tell us next year then keep delaying it from there right. Anyway, I don't know what sounds unreasonable about this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
EricDiesel said:
I don't think sku splitting is the problem. Nintendo isn't a multiple console sku kind of company. The problem is moving parts. Nintendo prides itself on rock solid hardware. A standard HDD breaks too easily for them to consider it. No matter what, they'll use a storage solution that has no moving parts. SSD or flash media. My money is on flash.

Yeah, my money is on flash as well.

mj1108

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Love how that rumor is everything people want. Which means its false.

Not sure which is funnier...the rumors they cook up to get everyone riled up....or their great disappointment when they realize they didn't come true.

qq more

mj1108 said:
Not sure which is funnier...the rumors they cook up to get everyone riled up....or their great disappointment when they realize they didn't come true.
I'd most likely go with the latter. I love it when people get so disappointed and blame anyone but themselves for falling for such an obvious lie. Bitter tears are so delicious. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom