• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeda

manueldelalas said:
Yes, there are random elements in Melee, and yes, the appearance of items is one of them, but still, it doesn't take the control of the character for you. Also items fell from the sky, so everyone could see and react and make their choices about that random thing. It's not that you were hitting someone when suddenly he has a starman on. Tripping was unannounced, unwelcome and could ruin leveled fights which is the best aspect of SB.
I can relate to your point of view. The way I see it: the emphasized by Brawl luck element makes party matches funner, louder and crazier. At the same time I can see people who would prefer Melee's system, especially for 1 on 1 matches.

Tripping sucks major ass. Even moreso, you can't turn it off!

I thought that was one thing everyone agreed on, regardless of whether they liked Brawl or Melee more.

I had a lot of problems with Brawl. From pre-game hype (thats just the most lame time of my gaming life. Debating characters ... ughh) to the game play changes. Tripping and floaty game play were part of why I lost interest in it.

Hope we can all move away from the topic now. :/

maeda

CoffeeJanitor said:
Tripping sucks major ass. Even moreso, you can't turn it off!
They should have totally given the players ability to turn it off. It would just make the game even more awesome.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
maeda said:
I can relate to your point of view. The way I see it: the emphasized by Brawl luck element makes party matches funner, louder and crazier. At the same time I can see people who would prefer Melee's system, especially for 1 on 1 matches.
It really doesn't, because it is unannounced.

Even in MK, when playing multiplayer (computer controlled racers are absolute cheaters), you could see their items, and you could make decisions about the Blue shell (the fucking, exploding blue shell), it was on the map, you could hear it coming; so you could leave first place and wait for other player to receive it.

You can do nothing about tripping in Brawl; I guess it could be fun playing drunk, but there are far too many games for that, and much better for playing in that state.

D-Pad

Chet Rippo said:
Happens often, just be glad they didn't go off on a Other M tangent like the millionth time.... No this is not an invitation to discuss Other M.
I wasn't here for the last discussion (lol), but I would like to see another "cinematic" Metroid game like Other M. Can't go back to silent Samus, now that I heard her talk (first in Brawl, now in Other M). Sure the dialog could have used some work and the controls were gawd awful, but I really hope the series continues in the 3rd person, side-scrolling, but-a-little-more-like-Super-Metroid-please, cinematic style of Other M.

Pyrokai

Lonewolf_92 said:
Pretty much matches rumors by IGN word for word on everything but the name of the company doing the production (IGN said it was Foxconn). Good to see confirmation though. :)

I thought it was determined that Han Hoi was the same as Foxconn?

And what exactly does this mean? Doesn't this just mean it's on par with a PS360 again?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
ReyVGM said:
The hardcore old Nintendo?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I always laugh at the notion that Nintendo were a hardcore powerhouse developer. Yes they made Metroid, and they continue making it, they made Zelda, and continue making it (although this series have a watered down laughable difficulty, but here I am hoping the Super guide changes this, like what happened with NSMB Wii). They made Fire Emblem, and guess what? they are still making those games, and they are awesome!

The amount of games Nintendo does has also increased, they are releasing a huge number of games, both "hardcore" and "casual" titles.

The only thing "hardcore" about past Nintendo is that they had the support of third parties and now they haven't.

Pyrokai said:

And what exactly does this mean? Doesn't this just mean it's on par with a PS360 again?
I'm sure someone here pointed out that yeah, they are pretty much the same or one owns the other or something.

Andas for power ... IDK, I think Gaf talked about that a ton back with the IGN thing. From what I got we still don't know.

evangd007

Pyrokai said:

IGN, like every other rumor site, used a vague subjective term to describe the "power" of the Cafe.

I think they said "significantly". But it doesn't matter until we actually see a screenshot or get confirmed specs.

MYE said:
ugh

Most of the time i feel like stuff like this is meant for 12 year olds.
You know what I like? Good games. I consider myself a gamer who plays what I consider to be good games. I'm not hardcore, I'm not casual, in fact that shit is just stupid. They're video games for christ's sake.

Anth0ny

ReyVGM said:
Worked like a charm. Smash Bros. talk is over.

Hardcore/casual talk always changes the topic =P

I think the best way to describe gamers are hardcore, casual and dudebro.

Hardcore is GAF. We obsess over this shit, keep track of games the moment they are announced, jizz over E3 press conferences... stuff like that.

Dudebros think they're hardcore gamers, but all they care about are graphics. they buy shooters and sports games every year. "Mario and Nintendo are kiddy shit." These guys make up a shit ton of sales.

Casuals are grandmothers who play Wii Sports. Your little sister that never played a video game until Nintendo DS came out. These people make up a shit ton of sales as well.

Basically, gaming media needs to start replacing the word "hardcore" with the word "dudebros" when referring to who Nintendo is going to cater to next gen.

I'll parrot what I've heard over and over on this forum from many people; The use of the term "hardcore" has to be one of the worst things to ever happen to the gaming community. It means different things to everyone. Bah.

Anth0ny said:
Hardcore/casual talk always changes the topic =P

I think the best way to describe gamers are hardcore, casual and dudebro.

Hardcore is GAF. We obsess over this shit, keep track of games the moment they are announced, jizz over E3 press conferences... stuff like that.

Dudebros think they're hardcore gamers, but all they care about are graphics. they buy shooters and sports games every year. "Mario and Nintendo are kiddy shit." These guys make up a shit ton of sales.

Casuals are grandmothers who play Wii Sports. Your little sister that never played a video game until Nintendo DS came out. These people make up a shit ton of sales as well.

Basically, gaming media needs to start replacing the word "hardcore" with the word "dudebros" when referring to who Nintendo is going to cater to next gen.
What in the wild wild world of sports is going on here?

Do you really think you can just slap those three definitions on random gamers and it will fit them? Do you really think Nintendo plans on catering toward "dudebros" next gen (I'm sure that word gets thrown around at Nintendo HQ often :| ).

Gamers are gamers. People like different things. Gaffers need to quit being so gat damned elitist about THEIR tastes.

Deal with it.

birdchili

while i'm all good with "new" stuff and surprises... i'd be rather pleased to see a revival on consoles of some of the stuff that's more-or-less migrated to handhelds: dungeon crawlers and turn-based tactical games. having a touch screen opens up some really nice interface options for these genres.

(and people are reading too much into Reggie's comments about consumers who buy early in a console's lifecycle:)

neoanarch

CoffeeJanitor said:
What in the wild wild world of sports is going on here?

Do you really think you can just slap those three definitions on random gamers and it will fit them? Do you really think Nintendo plans on catering toward "dudebros" next gen (I'm sure that word gets thrown around at Nintendo HQ often :| ).

Gamers are gamers. People like different things. Gaffers need to quit being so gat damned elitist about THEIR tastes.

Deal with it.
You like missed the point completely.

neoanarch said:
You like missed the point completely.
If you were being sarcastic then sorry my sarcasm detector is broken today. I'm going on 1 hour of sleep and need to put all of my energy into playing the devil's advocate.

As well as playing Super Mario Crossover

evangd007 said:
IGN, like every other rumor site, used a vague subjective term to describe the "power" of the Cafe.

I think they said "significantly". But it doesn't matter until we actually see a screenshot or get confirmed specs.

Yeah, they said their source specifically said it was significantly more powerful than the 360.

maeda said:
Yes, it does. Do you consider games where the dice is rolled unfair?

Yes, I consider randomness unfair by nature, a necessary evil at best in some cases if you will. It doesn't matter that there is an equal chance of any player being screwed or favored, the game is unfair whenever its mechanics become an interference between the players instead of serving as the medium for their confrontation. Tolerable levels of unfairness are exceeded when the players have no way to counterbalance the effects of random occurences through skillful play.

Regarding hardcore/casual: everyone has their definition for the terms, to the point that they've lost their meaning. I could use them and anyone could just understand whatever the fuck they want. People tend to forget however that Nintendo themselves generally don't use the term "hardcore" but "core", and they don't refer to the so-called "dudebros" when doing so, but to their old fanbase.

MYE

Mortrialus said:
Can someone define "hardcore" for me and where Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 fit into this?

Hardcore is a term coined by manbabies to validate their gaming habits as something only clever grown-ups with good taste can enjoy.

SMG falls into the category of amazing game, regardless of how you like define yourself as a gamer.
Games like SMG will always outlive the latest trends of childish insecurities practiced by message boards and game journalism.
We had 'kiddeh VS mature' back then, now its 'casual non-games VS real hardcore games'. Only thing i can do is laugh at all this crap.

Azure J

MYE said:
Hardcore is a term coined by manbabies to validate their gaming habits as something only clever grown-ups with good taste can enjoy.

SMG falls into the category of amazing game, regardless of how you like define yourself as a gamer.
Games like SMG will always outlive the latest trends of childish insecurities practiced by message boards and game journalism. We had 'kiddeh VS mature' back then, now its 'casual non-games VS real hardcore games'. Only thing i can do is laugh at all this crap.

Preeeeach. :lol

Mortrialus said:
Can someone define "hardcore" for me and where Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 fit into this?
the words hardcore and casual need to be banned. They are complete nonsense and completely subjective and completely irrelevant.

Just play the games you like. Others will.

If you want to be considered hardcore, you have (in)security issues and need to adress those.

Akai

MYE said:

Games like SMG will always outlive the latest trends of childish insecurities practiced by message boards and game journalism. We had 'kiddeh VS mature' back then, now its 'casual non-games VS real hardcore games'. Only thing i can do is laugh at all this crap.

I miss the days where "hardcore" meant that someone merely devoted a good deal of their time playing, enjoying, and discussing games, no matter if it was Mario, Tetris, or Contra...

I wish gaming can go back to the NES days not technologically but through the variety and novelty it used to offer at that times not just FPS#157454364, shallow sequels or causal this and hardcore that. I don't want gaming to go the way movies went.

MYE said:

Games like SMG will always outlive the latest trends of childish insecurities practiced by message boards and game journalism.
We had 'kiddeh VS mature' back then, now its 'casual non-games VS real hardcore games'. Only thing i can do is laugh at all this crap.

Definitely agree with this sentiment. I would lump NSMB:Wii in there too.

Akai said:
I miss the days where "hardcore" meant that someone merely devoted a good deal of their time playing, enjoying, and discussing games, no matter if it was Mario, Tetris, or Contra...

This is what I still mean when I say "hardcore".

Gvaz

Banned
MYE said:

casual = kiddy and hardcore games = mature

That being said mario is forever kiddy and things like stalker and the witcher and crysis 1 are hardcore games.

Anth0ny

DXB-KNIGHT said:
I don't want gaming to go the way movies went.

We're so already there. Sequels galore, reboots galore, and if it's not one of those, it's a new
shittier
franchise based on whatever the most popular franchise/genre is.

Mortrialus said:
The Nintendo Channel has a feature which scientifically measures a games hardcoreness versus its casualocity. Last time I checked Mario Galaxy was a 67% casual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom