• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

for me, pikmin 2 signaled ead's return to making great games. the majority of their support for the gamecube, which was 2001-2004, they released rushed and disappointing games while having nothing on the gba either. during that gap, intelligent systems was far and away the best internal studio nintendo had.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
I'm betting on $300.
looking at the 3ds as an indication of Nintendo's future, I'm betting on $350 for slightly better than PS3 graphics with no included hard drive (external sold separately), 1 screen controller, maybe a new wiimote upgrade of some sort, no hdmi cable included.

For the system features I am thinking a better but still not good enough online set up. A central hub for HD Miis like Mii Parade channel with more options. No friend codes, simple friend invites with Miis being liked to gamer profiles. No eShop at launch, Netflix at a later date, and more online features promised to come. The main menu will be like the 3ds channels including size and layout customization but in a more rounded layout like a panoramic view.

For software I think 1 or 2 1st party titles and a bunch of good and bad 3rd party ports. No 3rd party exclusives, and no new IP's at launch for 1st or 3rd party games. Hopefully Pikmin 3 and something else like F-Zero or some casual minigame collection to sell the system's new gameplay methods or whatever.

Teetris said:
400's a nice pricepoint to get the most out of profit and buyers
I don't believe Nintendo would go for a $400 console, especially when the 360 and PS3 are bound to be even cheaper than they are now by the time it launches. Then again, Nintendo had the balls to price 3DS higher than originally intended based on audience reaction at E3, so who knows. Of course, the 3DS isn't flying off shelves as anticipated, so hopefully they'll learn something from that and stop trying to pad out profits up front on hardware at the expense of moving more units to sell software on.

My guess is $300-$350. Without a price drop on the 3DS $300 would make them look suspect though.

Effect

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I don't believe Nintendo would go for a $400 console, especially when the 360 and PS3 are bound to be even cheaper than they are now by the time it launches. Then again, Nintendo had the balls to price 3DS higher than originally intended based on audience reaction at E3, so who knows. Of course, the 3DS isn't flying off shelves as anticipated, so hopefully they'll learn something from that and stop trying to pad out profits up front on hardware at the expense of moving more units to sell software on.

I just hope those at E3 this year are smart about their reactions. I'd be happy if they were stone cold silent through the entire Nintendo presentation and waited until they were back in their rooms to express their emotions.

maeda

I just hope that with Cafe we will finally say bye to the occasional pop ups of low res textures in HD games and the horrible aliasing. On huge TVs those things are extremely a pain to look at. And a price of 350$ would be my bet.

Effect said:
I just hope those at E3 this year are smart about their reactions. I'd be happy if they were stone cold silent through the entire Nintendo presentation and waited until they were back in their rooms to express their emotions.

No, that would make a horrible E3...
Besides, I think the 3DS shows that they can't just over price it and expect it to fly off the shelves.

maeda

AceBandage said:
No, that would make a horrible E3...
Besides, I think the 3DS shows that they can't just over price it and expect it to fly off the shelves.
Yeah, I hope there will be no more stupid "We're holding back our games..." We need a strong launch. I've been bored with my 3DS since the last week.

Gvaz

Banned
I haven't played a hardcore game on the wii, unless you mean atypical shit like NMH but that is neither hardcore or casual.

If you have a game where in the guide you can skip all content, or the game is so easy that a baby could play it, that's casual.

I think there is a type of gamer that could be classified as hardcore.

They import Japanese DS and PSP games. They are Americans who play Monster Hunter and Ouendan in Japanese. These are Koreans who play endless hours of Starcraft.

These people are at the extreme far right of the bell curve.

Call of Duty players take up the right hand downslope of the bellcurve. They are a type of mainstream enthusiast player. They spend a lot of money. They only buy big titles. They like to think themselves hardcore. Further to the left, at the top are the young. They rent lots of games. They play whatever is available for rent from blockbuster or gamefly. They look up to the mainstream enthusiast player as 'cool'. They are the true mainstream. The left hand upslope is your expanded audience and those who play a game once in a while, and bought the Wii for their kids because it was the Hot Toy at Christmas. These people will buy games for their kids, and games to play at parties. They're not interested in Mario, but they're interested in the Miis. You could probably split this into two groups. At the far left there are the non-gamers who have heard of games.

If you were to put this on a bell curve of the total population, it would all be all on the right downslope.

I don't know where WoW fits in.

Obligatory on topic:

If I were to bet, I'd say that both SKUs could fit within the $299.99-399.99 range. One with a hard drive, and one without. The one with a hard drive won't be any more costly than $399.99, and without won't be any less costly than $299.99 or more costly than $349.99.

They may surprise us and make it a less than $100 spread between the SKUs, or omit the higher priced SKU altogether and make the hard drive purely an accessory.

neo2046

Lonewolf_92 said:
Pretty much matches rumors by IGN word for word on everything but the name of the company doing the production (IGN said it was Foxconn). Good to see confirmation though. :)

same
Hon Hai is the mother company of Foxconn

AniHawk

Gvaz said:
I haven't played a hardcore game on the wii, unless you mean atypical shit like NMH but that is neither hardcore or casual.

If you have a game where in the guide you can skip all content, or the game is so easy that a baby could play it, that's casual.
there's sin & punishment 2, which is up there with bayonetta and vanquish as one of the best killingshittest games of the generation.

Gvaz

Banned
BMF said:
I think there is a type of gamer that could be classified as hardcore.

They import Japanese DS and PSP games. They are Americans who play Monster Hunter and Ouendan in Japanese. These are Koreans who play endless hours of Starcraft.

These people are at the extreme far right of the bell curve.

Call of Duty players take up the right hand downslope of the bellcurve. They are a type of mainstream enthusiast player. They spend a lot of money. They only buy big titles. They like to think themselves hardcore. Further to the left, at the top are the young. They rent lots of games. They play whatever is available for rent from blockbuster or gamefly. They look up to the mainstream enthusiast player as 'cool'. They are the true mainstream. The left hand upslope is your expanded audience and those who play a game once in a while, and bought the Wii for their kids because it was the Hot Toy at Christmas. These people will buy games for their kids, and games to play at parties. They're not interested in Mario, but they're interested in the Miis. You could probably split this into two groups. At the far left there are the non-gamers who have heard of games.

If you were to put this on a bell curve of the total population, it would all be all on the right downslope.

I don't know where WoW fits in.

I'd say they're on the left hand slope, actually with more people on the left than on the right. Higher priced games with people who will buy it all the time, but less people, while lower priced shovelware filling the left, but with more people who buy less often (parents, kids, teens, people who otherwise don't "care")

Wow fits in waaaaaaaaaaaay on the right.

AniHawk said:
there's sin & punishment 2, which is up there with bayonetta and vanquish as one of the best killingshittest games of the generation.

Sure. I can agree with that I guess. Though I'd end up going into how good those games are, but that doesn't relate to this conversation.

Gvaz said:
I'd say they're on the left hand slope, actually with more people on the left than on the right. Higher priced games with people who will buy it all the time, but less people, while lower priced shovelware filling the left, but with more people who buy less often (parents, kids, teens, people who otherwise don't "care")

Wow fits in waaaaaaaaaaaay on the right.
Could be wedged in between the COD players and the Starcraft Players.

KrawlMan said:
What's so bad about news aggregators?

they tend to report everything. and sometimes they don't even check the sites they report. looking up news is fin (shit, I check GoNin for general stuff), but check up the sources they post to make sure it's legit

ReyVGM

It will be $349.99

I don't know how can anyone think it will be lower or higher than that from what has been happening with Nintendo lately.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:

I wouldn't really classify games as being hardcore or casual -- rather, I'd say it's up to the player.

Someone can play Wii Sports and do absolutely everything it offers and play it every day, they'd be considered a hardcore gamer with that game. Or someone can play something like Dragon Quest IX [for example] for 30 minutes every few days and be classified as a casual gamer.

*shrug*

I don't really care. I've played games on the Wii that are pick up and play, like Brawl. I'll play a few matches and turn it off. Then theres the other side, where I've played SMG2 for hours per day attempting to 100% it and do everything it has to offer.

BMF said:
I should really take the plastic off my copy of S&P2 some day.

beware this game is HARD. on normal mode. it's harder than SP1 with it's shit controls. hell, Hibari killed me more times than the entirety of SP1

KrawlMan

From The Dust said:
they tend to report everything. and sometimes they don't even check the sites they report. looking up news is fin (shit, I check GoNin for general stuff), but check up the sources they post to make sure it's legit

I don't want to drive this thread off course (and I doubt I even could), but does N4G use any sort of user voting model for its ranking or is it just something like link clicks? I would assume users would (or at least should) kill news that isn't legit.

Gvaz

Banned
Haziqonfire said:
I wouldn't really classify games as being hardcore or casual -- rather, I'd say it's up to the player.

Someone can play Wii Sports and do absolutely everything it offers and play it every day, they'd be considered a hardcore gamer with that game. Or someone can play something like Dragon Quest IX [for example] for 30 minutes every few days and be classified as a casual gamer.

*shrug*

I don't really care. I've played games on the Wii that are pick up and play, like Brawl. I'll play a few matches and turn it off. Then theres the other side, where I've played SMG2 for hours per day attempting to 100% it and do everything it has to offer.
Perhaps the name should be changed.

A casual game can still be competitive, while a hardcore game can not have any competition at all.

It isn't about how hard you push yourself, it's how hard the game pushes you. I think that's the difference. If I can skip whole levels because "its too hard" like in mario or whatever, then it's absolutely casual. If the game grabs you by the dick and slams you into the wall, that's totally hardcore.

Boney

Banned
Haziqonfire said:
. Or someone can play something like Dragon Quest IX [for example] for 30 minutes every few days and be classified as a casual gamer.

*shrug*
guess im a casual

kill me now

KrawlMan said:
I don't want to drive this thread off course (and I doubt I even could), but does N4G use any sort of user voting model for its ranking or is it just something like link clicks? I would assume users would (or at least should) kill news that isn't legit.

I'm not familiar with N4G, but GN mainly uses links submitted by users.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
guess im a casual

kill me now

Not really. I was just giving an example.

I don't really use those terms, because I think they're completely stupid. I only use them when they're brought into discussion.

Gvaz

Banned
Also casual/hardcore players don't exactly translate to casual/hardcore games.

Ninja Gaiden is not a casual game, but you can play it casually (though arguably not effectively)
Wii sports is totally casual, but you can approach it professionally (though arguably with more effort input than you get back)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gvaz said:
Perhaps the name should be changed.

A casual game can still be competitive, while a hardcore game can not have any competition at all.

It isn't about how hard you push yourself, it's how hard the game pushes you. I think that's the difference. If I can skip whole levels because "its too hard" like in mario or whatever, then it's absolutely casual. If the game grabs you by the dick and slams you into the wall, that's totally hardcore.
WiiWare's bit.trip series hands you your own balls in a glass of cold lemonade. Is that hardcore enough for you?

watershed

Banned
Willy105 said:
That would be awful.

But I'm pretty sure he's right. $350 is $100 more than the wii was at launch. the ds was $150 at launch and the 3ds is $250. Also Reggie trotted out the same line to talk about the cafe as he did the 3ds.

Reggie said:
"When we launch our new home system sometime in 2012 we think the consumer buying in will look very different than the consumer who's going to be buying a Wii now," Fils-Aime said. "What we've seen in this business it that there are certain consumers who love being first - they have to have the absolute latest hardware - and there are other consumers that are perfectly happy to wait until the game library is much more robust and they have a wider range of options."
http://us.kotaku.com/#!5798609/nintendo-president-wii-price-drop-comes-with-perfect-timing

With the launch of their new system Nintendo feels confident about selling at a higher price with few good launch games because they think long time fans and hardcore gamers will jump at it regardless. I pretty much expect the cafe to be to the wii what the 3ds is to the ds.

Gvaz

Banned
WoW is the only social activity game I bother with, and I cancelled that.

I invite people over all the time but people are frustrating and never do (or if they do they just want to get drunk)

but that's a rant for another time

MisterHero said:
I don't know if anyone has answered this correctly but THERE ARE such things as casual and core audiences. They are defined based on what type of products they're willing to buy and which fit their lifestyle. Core gamers buy all kinds of games and is their one of their primary sources of entertainment so they'll playing more longer and deeper games, while casual customers are more keen to buy games they can play in short bursts and might not be about providing a narrative experience.

Hardcore gamers are extensions of core gamers while "hardcore" itself is more of a title they might give themselves based on their playstyle and the type of content they enjoy (such as very competitive games and games with deep content, both in-game and through things like collector's editions).

Games like Madden, or GTA, Modern Warfare/CoDBlOps, or many of Nintendo's can be argued that they hit all 3 major areas in this spectrum which is why they're so successful. However, not every game needs to sell tons to be successful, despite a publisher wanting to make as much as they can.
It's too bad that no one specifically fits your description, and that hardly anyone is even going to agree with your definition. Again, these terms are only what you make of them which makes them pointless.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With the casual/hardcore debate still lingering about... well, as time goes on I think the way Nintendo is really looking at it, isn't about genres of games or classes of games within a genre, specifically.

It's not about "is this game inherently casual or hardcore?"

Rather, it's about how people play; what they do with their time.

The "expanded audience" by its definition, is always beyond your current field of view. That blue ocean stuff. With video games, the definition of an expanded audience is people who don't pay much attention to video games or perhaps more crucially, don't find video games to be worth their time to spend. Not specifically, not as a pastime or hobby they'll purposefully take on.

People have gotten the notion that "the casuals" don't want to play games that are "hardcore", which is often presented as games that are difficult or complex to learn.

Rather, I think Nintendo has always been looking at it as "how can we package this game to make people who don't think games are something they should spend time on, go ahead and give it a try?" People understand skill, and they do understand challenge. If they sit down to play something considered a game, they realize it'll have a fail state. That they can lose.

Anyway, I think this might relate to the next console in that, certain details about Cafe sound as if Nintendo is probing to see if the "good press" they've spread to the average person about video games using the Wii, will now pay off. The negative stereotype that buffered outsiders away from games, such as the solitary teenager loser in the bedroom, may have been defused now with a lot of folks.

If you can really stream the primary game being played on Cafe to a controller when you want, that makes me think Cafe is the "kinder, gentler, high end game console". It's the Xbox that doesn't seem "rude" being hooked up to the family entertainment center in the living room. Because when someone is playing a dedicated game, something that requires time, focus, and especially is single player, they can hang out in the open but don't have to dominate the room. The TV can still be used by the group, or the family.

Essentially, an intersection between people who don't spend their primary entertainment time gaming and those who do.

Who knows, it might tap in to the growing trend of seeing such "friendly" computing / gaming devices laying about in the family room, such as the pad computer. A memetic there that Cafe can tap into.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
IGN said:
I've heard the power of this new console was more powerful than the xbox 360 and playstation 3. Does that mean that the graphics on the new console will surpass those two as well? Do graphics really get any better than that? - iceflower4am

A: Sure, though exactly how much the power of the "Wii 2" increases over the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is subject to debate. We've heard "significantly," but we don't know exactly what that means. That word isn't a number. You and I probably have very different ideas of what that word represents.

It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out now and years down the road. I would think Nintendo would want to "future-proof" its new system a bit, considering new Microsoft and Sony consoles are just around the corner (in a couple years or so), but the company rarely does exactly what you'd expect. That's one of the cool parts about covering their products. Unless they make Wii Music. Then it sucks.

More speculation questions "answered" about Wii 2 in IGN's recent mailbag.

Instro

Is that Richard George guy a new member of the IGN Nintendo team? Dont recognize the name.

Anyway, looks like they are still sticking with the significantly more powerful bit. I guess it depends on how big a power bump you consider an r700 line gpu to be. Interesting that IGN never picked up those Kotaku rumors though.

So what's Casualtard exactly??
The genre itself is a retarded genre? The casuals playing it are retarded?

Wii got (and I just counted from personal experience) my wife, my mother and father in law, 4 nieces, 2 brother in laws, a sister in law and 2 nephews buying consoles and playing games whom never have before. Infact I was always ripped by them ALL for doing so previously. So are you calling those people retarded?

Zomba13

IGN said:
I've heard the power of this new console was more powerful than the xbox 360 and playstation 3. Does that mean that the graphics on the new console will surpass those two as well? Do graphics really get any better than that? - iceflower4am
lol. Someone doesn't know what PC games look like.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone think the cafe will have an user profile integrated achievement system? Like a gamer profile that shows all your achievements across all games with some kind of total/gamer score?

I think an achievement system will come to the system via an update post launch, and that most first party games won't support in-game achievements. There are some Nintendo games I would love to see achievements in, namely SSB, Mario Kart, F-Zero if we ever get one, to name a few.

artwalknoon said:
Does anyone think the cafe will have an user profile integrated achievement system? Like a gamer profile that shows all your achievements across all games with some kind of total/gamer score?

I think an achievement system will come to the system via an update post launch, and that most first party games won't support in-game achievements. There are some Nintendo games I would love to see achievements in, namely SSB, Mario Kart, F-Zero if we ever get one, to name a few.

Nope.
Likely never.

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
So what's Casualtard exactly??
The genre itself is a retarded genre? The casuals playing it are retarded?

Wii got (and I just counted from personal experience) my wife, my mother and father in law, 4 nieces, 2 brother in laws, a sister in law and 2 nephews buying consoles and playing games whom never have before. Infact I was always ripped by them ALL for doing so previously. So are you calling those people retarded?

Games that were created specifically to appeal to the people so motor skills inept that they become shallow husks of actual titles, withering in the shadow of legitimate gaming experiences.

Wii Sports, for example, is one of the shallowest, shittiest sports games ever created - a series of sports mini-games stripped of every compelling element involving those respective sports and any modicum of strategy and competitive force and dumbed down so that game haters don't have to think about where their fingers are for more than two miliseconds lest they be offended by having to utilize more than one brain cell at a time. Baseball? Fuck that shit, automated outfielding! Automated running! Automated everything! Fuck, basically it's a homerun derby! Tennis? We'll handle the movement for you, that's far too complex! Only Bowling, by virtue of how fucking simple it is in the first place, remains unscathed from its real life counterpart. Stripped of any and all appeal to true sports fans.

Thus, a "casualtard" genre is any game that has been 'tarded up so that you must utilize the least brain power necessary to become competent at the games shallow, skeleton game design. Most casualtard games are similarly glossed over with a generic, glossy exterior meant to offend nobody and appeal to everybody in the most unassuming, forgettable fashion.

But of course we all want to hear the amazing story about how NINTENDO got yer whole family playing games. It's so amazing it almost brought a tear to my eye. That is totally worth the shittying up of the industry. I got pictures of my nephews and sisters playing Wii Sports on launch day if you want to share them. 'Course, like most families on Earth, my family never touched Wii again outside of that launch week. 'Cause they hate games and weren't going to start liking them now just because they were made even dumber.

Alternatively: We've been over this a hundred times and you've heard the explanation a hundred times. Frankly I'm surprised you still give a fuck that people hate these garbage games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom