• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistolero said:
Amir0X : You rox!
150% in agreement (duh!). I simply, honestly hope Nintendo seises this chance (the Stream project, or whatever it's called) to instil some new vigor into its winded and almost lethargic games development body, now that they have amassed billions upon billions of dollars with the wii. No more wight measurement, waist movements, hand shaking shit...PLEASE!

So you think they should use the money they made with the Wii & piss it away appealing to a smaller market?

Instro

Its reverse psychology. He thinks if he just tells us the worst parts of the video we wont want to watch it anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Again.... all you're doing is making us want to see it even more.

well I am not a modest dude, if you found it I wouldn't be embarrassed. I don't give a fuck what people think of me if you haven't realized that by now :p

Cerebral Assassin said:
So you think they should use the money they made with the Wii & piss it away appealing to a smaller market?

How about calling it... "giving back" to the people who got you where you are originally?

Amir0x said:
well I am not a modest dude, if you found it I wouldn't be embarrassed. I don't give a fuck what people think of me if you haven't realized that by now :p

I don't care about you being embarrassed, the video sounds awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
i honestly don't think I have the video anymore since I got my new PC and wiped my old HDD, so you'd have to genuinely find it on the internet somewhere. It's not on youtube anymore I know that

and that old Red Steel marketing site is long gone

Nintendo buys RARE again, has them work with RETRO STUDIOS

the two devs jointly develop a new BATTLETOADS title

hardcorest game ever confirmed?

CoffeeJanitor said:
Nintendo buys RARE again, has them work with RETRO STUDIOS

the two devs jointly develop a new BATTLETOADS title

hardcorest game ever confirmed?

Considering Rare is anything BUT hardcore these days... no...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
I am happy to hear you disagree? It really informs me on, er, the disagreement part of things.

I would hope to elicit commentary on people who actually like this tripe because it educates me on how far people can go to the other side. I like being educated. It's not offensive to me if you take a position contrary to mine. In fact, the ones who do are the ones I respect because they can defend the things they like. It represents passion, and passion is a good thing.q

The thing is I hate going "there" because of little comments like how far people can go to the other side. Not saying I don't laugh, because I do. I do find your comments and insights funny. But also infuriating sometimes because to get your point across you literally try to make the other person sound like a kindergarten monkey trying to shove a square block into a circle-shaped hole.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy because I like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, or even Wii Play. Yes they are tech-like products used to get their "gimmick" across. But that doesn't stop them from having quality gameplay, the Nintendo charm I love, and FUN FUN FUN. There is nothing wrong with some good-ole pick-up and play party games. In fact, I would argue that we NEED more local multi-player games like the Wii line. My mom, dad, and girlfriend being able to play is just an added bonus for me, but I do welcome the bonus. :)

And for the record I love Kinect Sports and Sports Champions as well.

Fun Note: My girlfriend started out on Kinect; Dance Central/Kinect Sports. Then she moved to Wii Sports Resort, and is now playing Sims 3. So this week she picked up Trauma Center for the DS, and she LOVED it. We are going to start up a CO-OP game on Trauma Team next week. I'm excited, and I've never even played it. Cool stuff.

Skiesofwonder said:
The thing is I hate going "there" because of little comments like how far people can go to the other side. Not saying I don't laugh, because I do. I do find your comments and insights funny. But also infuriating sometimes because to get your point across you literally try to make the other person sound like a kindergarten monkey trying to shove a square block into a circle-shaped hole.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy because I like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, or even Wii Play. Yes they are tech-like products used to get their "gimmick" across. But that doesn't stop them from having quality gameplay, the Nintendo charm I love, and FUN FUN FUN. There is nothing wrong with some good-ole pick-up and play party games. In fact, I would argue that we NEED more local multi-player games like the Wii line. My mom, dad, and girlfriend being able to play is just an added bonus for me, but I do welcome the bonus. :)

And for the record I love Kinect Sports and Sports Champions as well.

Fun Note: My girlfriend started out on Kinect; Dance Central/Kinect Sports. Then she moved to Wii Sports Resort, and is now playing Sims 3. So this week she picked up Trauma Center for the DS, and she LOVED it. We are going to start up a CO-OP game on Trauma Team next week. I'm excited, and I've never even played it. Cool stuff.

Hmm, it seems your girlfriend's tastes are slowly getting better.
Move her up to Layton and Phoenix Wright.

Pistolero

Or maybe...just maybe, split it even. In the PS2 era, Sony managed to satisfy both the core segment and masses of neophytes. Nintendo sacriced the first group, plain and simple.

Pistolero said:
Or maybe...just maybe, split it even. In the PS2 era, Sony managed to satisfy both the core segment and masses of neophytes. Nintendo sacriced the first group, plain and simple.
Look where it got Sony sacrificing the casuals.
MotR is where you gotta be. Not the best, not the worst and not expensive

Amir0x

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:

I just meant it in the literal sense: that you guys hold positions so far beyond my own that they're essentially incomprehensible to my mind. Thus, the only way I might get a grip on understanding those perspectives is if someone who actually likes that trash explains it with the force of their convictions. Of course, I'd like to see someone set up a good defense because...no offense...yours are always rather weak :p

Skiesofwonder said:
I'm not a Nintendo fanboy because I like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, or even Wii Play.

No, that's not WHY you're a Nintendo fanboy. It's a symptom ;)

Skiesofwonder said:
Yes they are tech-like products used to get their "gimmick" across. But that doesn't stop them from having quality gameplay, the Nintendo charm I love, and FUN FUN FUN.

Oh yes it does. Their gameplay is absolutely miserable compared to other masters of the genre. It's completely whitewashed garbage meant to appeal to people who hated the genre. And if you didn't hate the genre and by some insane crazy bs you liked Wii Sports still, then it actually IS beyond all rationality.

Wii Sports is literally inoffensive pap meant to appeal to people who hate sports games because they might have to, ya know, strategize or use more than two buttons. Certainly it wasn't by virtue of its gameplay - little agonizingly knee deep chunks of subpar gameplay anchored to virtually no content and wonky, unreliable motion controls.

Shit, boxing barely worked at all since if you boxed too fast the game simply stopped registering hits and since it wasn't 1:1 you could see the massive disconnect between your blows and your avatar.

Tennis was just hilariously inept compared to full fledged sports titles. Hell, inept compared to Mario Tennis.

And what charm? Mii's exist for the sole purpose of leeching any and all charm from the games. Gone are the days of legitimate Nintendo charm.

^^Again, Amir0x, hyperbole. No Nintendo charm? Wii Sports wasn't the only game they released this gen. Also, Miis are cool, especially fugly ones. I would say that the 360 avatars really don't have any charm at all, though.

AceBandage said:
Considering Rare is anything BUT hardcore these days... no...
Rare is only there to aquire the IP.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AceBandage said:
Hmm, it seems your girlfriend's tastes are slowly getting better.
Move her up to Layton and Phoenix Wright.

I think it's more in line of gaming not being so intimidating for her anymore. I really believe that is big hurdle for a lot of people, and Kinect, DS, IPad/phone, and Wii have put a little stepping stool in front of that hurdle.

I like it.

jacksrb

Amir0x said:
Wii Sports, for example, is one of the shallowest, shittiest sports games ever created - a series of sports mini-games stripped of every compelling element involving those respective sports and any modicum of strategy and competitive force and dumbed down so that game haters don't have to think about where their fingers are for more than two miliseconds lest they be offended by having to utilize more than one brain cell at a time.

I get my ire up at little when I read your thoughts, but that's on me.

I think I am in awe of Wii Sports due to the brilliance of what is included in the package. Its a simple joy similar to throwing darts in real life. Really straightforward, but fun. The 'easy to do once, hard to do consistently' makes even the oft-maligned golf game re-playable to me.

Yes it stripped out a lot of mechanics to reduce the barrier to entry, but what is there goes way beyond tech-demo type software to me. I think the lack of other flashpoint software in the Wii's life illustrates how hard to do and how polished it is.

Amir0x

Banned
jacksrb said:
I get my ire up at little when I read your thoughts, but that's on me.

I think I am in awe of Wii Sports due to the brilliance of what is included in the package. Its a simple joy similar to throwing darts in real life. Really straightforward, but fun. The 'easy to do once, hard to do consistently' makes even the oft-maligned golf game re-playable to me.

Yes it stripped out a lot of mechanics to reduce the barrier to entry, but what is there goes way beyond tech-demo type software to me. I think the lack of other flashpoint software in the Wii's life illustrates how hard to do and how polished it is.

Popularity does not imply competence.

Also, in every Wii Sports game there is, I can basically ace anything with my eyes closed. It's comically exploitable. Only golf really gives me any trouble being reliable. Of course with the six holes they got, it gets boring in about five seconds.

In an actual golf game, you'd get characters of varying skills, many courses, many club types and the whole nine. Do you expect this to be acceptable because they butchered it and glued it to other similarly butchered sports titles?

Amir0x said:

Also, in every Wii Sports game there is, I can basically ace anything with my eyes closed. It's comically exploitable. Only golf really gives me any trouble being reliable. Of course with the six holes they got, it gets boring in about five seconds.

In an actual golf game, you'd get characters of varying skills, many courses, many club types and the whole nine. Do you expect this to be acceptable because they butchered it and glued it to other similarly butchered sports titles?
I bet I exploit it better.

I'm not quite sure but I have a sneaky suspicion that amir0x doesn't like Wii Sports. Maybe it killed his collie or stole his manhood or something.
Your reasoning for hating it is far beyond my comprehension. To hate something so much........... Glad Wii Sports is not a person or I'd ask the police to keep an eye on you.

Pistolero said:

Well no, just because NOA refused to release games doesn't mean Nintendo didn't make them. Also Nintendo released a console "all about the games" before, they spent money buying exclusives, it failed.

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I'm not quite sure but I have a sneaky suspicion that amir0x doesn't like Wii Sports. Maybe it killed his collie or stole his manhood or something.
Your reasoning for hating it is far beyond my comprehension. To hate something so much........... Glad Wii Sports is not a person or I'd ask the police to keep an eye onyou.

I hate Wii Sports, but I don't HATE Wii Sports.

I reserve HATE for only one thing and that is Animal Crossing. To me, Animal Crossing is not merely a casualtard game, it is the worst anything ever created - movie, book, tv, game. It is worse than FANTASTIC FOUR PSOne or Manos Hand of Fate.

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... what do you want to see on this console... of course, the correct answer would be both... but if you had to pick just one:

Graphics or Online?

What would even be the point of this question?

I hate questions like this.

The answer IS both, and there is no scenario where it should be anything but both and at an equally high level of proficiency.

DefectiveReject said:
Your reasoning for hating it is far beyond my comprehension. To hate something so much........... Glad Wii Sports is not a person or I'd ask the police to keep an eye onyou.
Maybe he is just not good in that game...

Amir0x said:

I reserve HATE for only one thing and that is Animal Crossing. To me, Animal Crossing is not merely a casualtard game, it is the worst anything ever created - movie, book, tv, game. It is worse than FANTASTIC FOUR PSOne or Manos Hand of Fate.

What would even be the point of this question?

I hate questions like this.

The answer IS both, and there is no scenario where it should be anything but both and at an equally high level of proficiency.
I just wanted to know which feature is more important to most of us, the Nintendo fans...

For me... online play. I want Nintendo games with a good online system.

Fernando Rocker said:
Bowling, Boxing, and Tennis are very easy to exploit. I've never understood the motions the game wants for Golf, but I tend to suck at that in real life too.

Those prior three are very very easy to get godly at though. And it's tied to very particular exploits.

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... what do you want to see on this console... of course, the correct answer would be both... but if you had to pick just one:

Graphics or Online?
I hope the system continues the Nintendo trend of featuring graphics. I've loved that feature since the NES

jacksrb

Amir0x said:

I bet you can't exploit every game if you do the full sports movements. Even playing 2 player baseball, it is challenging to hit a fast ball and then a change-up.

Fine if you don't like it, but because it is relatively straightforward does not of course make it shallow. Did you think any more of Wii Sports Resort?

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:

i thought it was impossible to be bad at it? I'm amazing. Shit, by the game's standards, I'm practically Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth and Pete Sampras all rolled into one.

Anyone I ever known that played the game is good at it. Even my little niece who basically just swings her arm wildly while dancing some insane rain dance. I mean, granted, she's not Babe Ruth, but I think she settles for Mark McGuire.

Amir0x said:

You hate a game that basically cons little kids into learning about the shitty real world(Tom Nook is a capitalist scumbag), but don't hate games like Mindjack?

Also about Wii Sports, when did mini-game collections go from niche(Bishi Bashi Special) to casualtard?

Amir0x

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
You hate a game that basically cons little kids into learning about the shitty real world(Tom Nook is a capitalist scumbag), but don't hate games like Mindjack?

Also about Wii Sports, when did mini-game collections go from niche(Bishi Bashi Special) to casualtard?

you mean it cons grown ass adults into playing awful fishing/digging mini-games while simultaneously forcing them onto a hamster wheel of home decorating and writing letters to hilariously terrible Animal A.I. who basically never understand even two words you put down?

Back on Gamecube

Amir0x

"Hey, it is sunny out! I love the sun! Here is an apple."

PIG:

"Wow I like pie. Did you know that a mall is opening up in some town? I heard about it! Once there was ten fries on my porch. Here is a wallpaper."

At least in THE SIMS you are punished for being a shitty player. Animal Crossing forces you to stay alive forever. Oh, except, weeds grow and people get all pouty when you don't visit for a week

WillyFive

You know Amir0x, despite the very intense wording you use to describe them, those things you describe are the reason people love those games so much. They are easy to play, they feel very rewarding, and it doesn't expect you to be a pro, just feel like one.

Wii Sports is way too simple nowadays though, with Wii Sports Resort and Kinect Sports around.

Mortrialus said:
Except conservative and liberal actually describe general political philosophies. You still have yet to provide a definition that has any use whatsoever.

Oh, is that it?

Definitions of hardcore on the Web:
hard-core: intensely loyal; "his hard-core supporters"
hard core - the most dedicated and intensely loyal nucleus of a group or movement

Definitions of casual on the Web:
marked by blithe unconcern
appropriate for ordinary or routine occasions
hasty and without attention to detail; not thorough;
occurring from time to time

Some of the definitions of each in a simple google search are pretty much on the mark. Hardcore gamer is intensely loyal to the act of gaming. It is a highly important thing to them, and they spend a great deal of personal resources doing so. A casual gamer plays occasionally, but it's not that important.

From the perspective of the Wii Play fellow to whom I linked earlier, I am a casual gamer. From the perspective of the friends I play games with, I'm quite hardcore, because (among other things, mostly involving the actual playing of games) I alone among our trio would be able to point out what might be amiss when one of my friends has a Wii with an HDTV and the other an Xbox 360 with a CRT.

(also, the "stubbornly resistant to change or improvement" definition seems to fit the mark but only really from certain perspectives)

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I reckon

Don't you bring down Animal Crossing.
You play games you hate.............. Ever think of not buying them

how the fuck would I know I hate something if I didn't play it?

also, I did not have a choice in Wii Sports

also, I purchased Animal Crossing for one reason. The original had NES games. I suffered through its awful game to collect all the NES games. It was like a collectathon of NES titles.

It was the one positive idea it had. New Nintendo would never give away so many NES games for 'free' :p

Willy105 said:
You know Amir0x, despite the very intense wording you use to describe them, those things you describe are the reason people love those games so much. They are easy to play, they feel very rewarding, and it doesn't expect you to be a pro, just feel like one.

Wii Sports is way too simple nowadays though, with Wii Sports Resort and Kinect Sports around.

Of course people like things for reasons I hate it. That's why this is all opinion.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love that "pap" is the new gaf "i am a smart guy putting down things i think are below me" word. chart the increased usage of pap over the last six months.

pap = very trendy.

Amir0x said:
you mean it cons grown ass adults into playing awful fishing/digging mini-games while simultaneously forcing them onto a hamster wheel of home decorating and writing letters to hilariously terrible Animal A.I. who basically never understand even two words you put down?

At least in THE SIMS you are punished for being a shitty player. Animal Crossing forces you to stay alive forever. Oh, except, weeds grow and people get all pouty when you don't visit for a week

Well The Sims 3 doesn't work properly(on Console) so at least Animal Crossing has that over it. But seriously not all games have to appeal to you(or me), I stopped playing it once I realised I had spend an hour working out my ad for Tom Nook("You get more fanny, when you shop at Nook's Cranny) for no real reason( Although I did like how he let me off wearing his uniform) but I know someone who still loads up his GC save fairly regularly, horses for courses.

Also Wii Sports was extremely entertaining, playing games with people who previously wouldn't touch a game before that was fun.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i love that "pap" is the new gaf "i am a smart guy putting down things i think are below me" word. chart the increased usage of pap over the last six months.

pap = very trendy.

I've been using the word pap since I trolled the Penny Arcade forums. Shit, actually, since I trolled the Gamefan chatroom. I follow no trends but mein own. As anyone can see.

Cerebral Assassin said:
But seriously not all games have to appeal to you(or me)

Of course not! Nor should they. I won't pretend something isn't terrible, though, merely because it's not appealing to me. If a game is bad, even if it's good to someone else, I will still say it's bad. There's no reason to pretend.

Something is ALWAYS good to someone else, so that's certainly no good reason to hold back criticism.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Also Wii Sports was extremely entertaining, playing games with people who previously wouldn't touch a game before that was fun.

I can do that with games that don't suck ass. Like Pikmin 2, the only game my family still consistently returns to. Thank God they have good taste.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:

Back on Gamecube

Amir0x

"Hey, it is sunny out! I love the sun! Here is an apple."

PIG:

"Wow I like pie. Did you know that a mall is opening up in some town? I heard about it! Once there was ten fries on my porch. Here is a wallpaper."

I have to admit, this made me laugh for quite awhile. XD

They really need to shake up the AC formula. Maybe allow you to explore it from a behind-the-back or over-the-shoulder view so you can see the backs of houses and look up at the trees, etc, making the game more immersive. And give the player way more to do, like the ability to farm crops in addition to (or separate from) shaking down every goddamn tree in town for fruits to sell. Remove inventory limits, make Nook's Cranny open 24/7 -- basically, eliminate all the bullshit limtis that exist just to make this escapist entertainment more like the reality from whence we escape. ;)

AC is certainly a pleasant place to unwind in. But the game shouldn't create so much work for work's sake.

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:

They really need to shake up the AC formula. Maybe allow you to explore it from a behind-the-back or over-the-shoulder view so you can see the backs of houses and look up at the trees, etc, making the game more immersive. And give the player way more to do, like the ability to farm crops in addition to (or separate from) shaking down every goddamn tree in town for fruits to sell. Remove inventory limits, make Nook's Cranny open 24/7 -- basically, eliminate all the bullshit limtis that exist just to make this escapist entertainment more like the reality from whence we escape. ;)

AC is certainly a pleasant place to unwind in. But the game shouldn't create so much work for work's sake.

Honestly, all they would have to do is really expand the social capabilities (add a world you can travel about it, MMO-style, with various hubs. Yours is a town that has to exist in an economy so it is beneficial for you to start a business or grow crops or become self-sufficient) and add real penalties for not performing your duties and it might begin to form into something compelling. The idea itself is not bad, the execution is. Of course I don't think it should be THE SIMS either where you gotta direct your dude to take a shit.

Also, completely reworking of the mini-games. I can't believe they still exist in the form they do. They're honestly really awful, very un-Nintendo like.

Gvaz

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't want the ability to give tags because by the end of the first year everyone on GAF would have a really embarrassing tag.
Maybe that would be an incentive :p
Wolves Evolve said:
I won't hear a word against Frisbee Golf.

Word

oh and dont do that "if you don't like the game don't buy it" shit because that logic does not fly

There is no reason to ever stifle criticism for any reason (unless the person is being hateful or something)

Amir0x said:
Battletoads probably wouldn't be a very sellable game today. Beat 'em ups are the deadest genre I know.
Well they already have the same basic character shape, so they could always turn it into a cover-based third-person shooter.

Battletoads_Coverart.png

200100b.jpg

Neiteio said:

I think they wanted to make a game you pop into for 10-20 mins a day, & the "realism" was intended(why else would you be lumbered with a mortgage instantly?)

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Amir0x... which Wii games are your favorites? Honest question.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Sin & Punishment, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime III, Wario Shake Dimension, Dead Space Extraction, Ghost Squad, House of the Dead Overkill, Little King's Story, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Fire Emblem.

I like Twilight Princess, but it's a Gamecube game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom