• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skiesofwonder said:
Please tell me DefectiveReject's tag is new and Amir0x gave it to him.

:lol
Lol what? How was my post retarded?

I guess calling people insufferable nintendo fans In a thread about Nintendo isn't? Or still harping on at the lack of HD Nintendo stuff after near on 5 years isn't.

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

I guess calling people insufferable nintendo fans In a thread about Nintendo isn't? Or still harping on at the lack of HD Nintendo stuff after near on 5 years isn't.

Skiesofwonder is a card carrying member of the crew, dude, he doesn't think anything you say is retarded. I think he legitimately thought I gave you a tag and honestly thought that was funny.

Note to all: Mods can't give tags.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nope.
Likely never.

Well then add it to the list of things "hardcore" gamers will complain about when the cafe comes out. Seriously tho, if Nintendo wants to steal some gamers from microsoft and sony they can't expect gamers to move to a console that removes one of the features some of those gamers enjoy most.

Amir0x

Banned
DeathNote said:
Did that change recently?

Not to my knowledge. For as long as I've been a mod, we can't give tags.

Sometimes when people do something really tag worthy (like REALLY tag worthy - I think I only requested someone get a tag maybe three times in my entire tenure) I might ask an admin to put one on someone for me but that's the extent of it.

artwalknoon said:
Well then add it to the list of things "hardcore" gamers will complain about when the cafe comes out. Seriously tho, if Nintendo wants to steal some gamers from microsoft and sony they can't expect gamers to move to a console that removes one of the features some of those gamers enjoy most.

I honestly don't think Nintendo cares all that much.
Besides, Achievements are so low on the things that Nintendo needs to fix with their setup that it isn't even funny.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
They technically can, it's just that their guilty feet have got no rhythm.

SINNERS!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Amir0x said:
Not to my knowledge. For as long as I've been a mod, we can't give tags.

Sometimes when people do something really tag worthy (like REALLY tag worthy - I think I only requested someone get a tag maybe three times in my entire tenure) I might ask an admin to put one on someone for me but that's the extent of it.
I was under the impression any red could.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18393188
I thought Dragona Akehi gave them to everyone in this thread

Amir0x

Banned
From The Dust said:
Mods: second rate admins

step your game

Trust me you don't want mods giving tags.

I don't want the ability to give tags because by the end of the first year everyone on GAF would have a really embarrassing tag.

DeathNote said:
I was under the impression any red could.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18393188
I thought Dragona Akehi gave them to everyone in this thread

I am pretty sure Dragona was an admin when she was up. If not, she got someone else to change it for her.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nirolak said:

Oh..... well that sucks. Learn something new everyday.

DefectiveReject said:

Calm down, you defending "casualtards" with your tag was humorous to me, especially picturing Amir0x giving it to you right then (though that's not the case)........ It's still humorous though lol :p

besides, I'm on your side on this one.

Amir0x said:
Looks like hyperbole
I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you and we'll leave it at that.

One thing we can agree on though....Give me some pikmins.

And tags on other boards were always positive things. Are they bad on GAF?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Games that were created specifically to appeal to the people so motor skills inept that they become shallow husks of actual titles, withering in the shadow of legitimate gaming experiences.

Wii Sports, for example, is one of the shallowest, shittiest sports games ever created - a series of sports mini-games stripped of every compelling element involving those respective sports and any modicum of strategy and competitive force and dumbed down so that game haters don't have to think about where their fingers are for more than two miliseconds lest they be offended by having to utilize more than one brain cell at a time. Baseball? Fuck that shit, automated outfielding! Automated running! Automated everything! Fuck, basically it's a homerun derby! Tennis? We'll handle the movement for you, that's far too complex! Only Bowling, by virtue of how fucking simple it is in the first place, remains unscathed from its real life counterpart. Stripped of any and all appeal to true sports fans.

Thus, a "casualtard" genre is any game that has been 'tarded up so that you must utilize the least brain power necessary to become competent at the games shallow, skeleton game design. Most casualtard games are similarly glossed over with a generic, glossy exterior meant to offend nobody and appeal to everybody in the most unassuming, forgettable fashion.

But of course we all want to hear the amazing story about how NINTENDO got yer whole family playing games. It's so amazing it almost brought a tear to my eye. That is totally worth the shittying up of the industry. I got pictures of my nephews and sisters playing Wii Sports on launch day if you want to share them. 'Course, like most families on Earth, my family never touched Wii again outside of that launch week. 'Cause they hate games and weren't going to start liking them now just because they were made even dumber.

Honest, brutal, undeniable.

Amir0x said:
Games that were created specifically to appease to the people so motor skills inept that they become shallow husks of actual titles, withering in the shadow of legitimate gaming experiences.

Wii Sports, for example, is one of the shallowest, shittiest sports games ever created - a series of sports mini-games stripped of every compelling element involving those respective sports and any modicum of strategy and competitive force and dumbed down so that game haters don't have to think about where their fingers are for more than two miliseconds lest they be offended by having to utilize more than one brain cell at a time. Baseball? Fuck that shit, automated outfielding! Automated running! Automated everything! Fuck, basically it's a homerun derby! Tennis? We'll handle the movement for you, that's far too complex! Only Bowling, by virtue of how fucking simple it is in the first place, remains unscathed from its real life counterpart. Stripped of any and all appeal to true sports fans.

Thus, a "casualtard" genre is any game that has been 'tarded up so that you must utilize the least brain power necessary to become competent at the games shallow, skeleton game design. Most casualtard games are similarly glossed over with a generic, glossy exterior meant to offend nobody and appeal to everybody in the most unassuming, forgettable fashion.

But of course we all want to hear the amazing story about how NINTENDO got yer whole family playing games. It's so amazing it almost brought a tear to my eye. That is totally worth the shittying up of the industry. I got pictures of my nephews and sisters playing Wii Sports on launch day if you want to share them. 'Course, like most families on Earth, my family never touched Wii again outside of that launch week. 'Cause they hate games and weren't going to start liking them now just because they were made even dumber.

Alternatively: We've been over this a hundred times and you've heard the explanation a hundred times. Frankly I'm surprised you still give a fuck that people hate these garbage games.
All of that is in your opinion of course....?
And what does it matter if that's the approach they took? as a matter of fact All still play games.
My mother in law went on to buy a DS as did my sister in law. They both own and play Mario kart, Zelda, professor layton and more.
My nieces still own Wiis and I was at the house of two playing Donkey Kong which they own.
My nephews after a while moved onto a ps3. So to me, the Casualtard games served as a gateway to gaming for them.

Again this is my experience, but when I see my 2 year old thinking she's playing Wii sports, and my friend sees his 4 year old, I don't give a Frick how retarded it is. They don't think it is, and me I enjoy what I know I like. And if others wanna play "Casualtard" games I ain't gonna hate on them for it

Card carrying ....no
I own any and everything. I just don't hate on people for liking what they like is all.

DefectiveReject said:
And what does it matter if that's the approach they took? as a matter of fact All still play games.
My mother in law went on to buy a DS as did my sister in law. They both own and play Mario kart, Zelda, professor layton and more.
My nieces still own Wiis and I was at the house of two playing Donkey Kong which they own.
My nephews after a while moved onto a ps3. So to me, the Casualtard games served as a gateway to gaming for them.

Again this is my experience, but when I see my 2 year old thinking she's playing Wii sports, and my friend sees his 4 year old, I don't give a Frick how retarded it is. They don't think it is, and me I enjoy what I know I like. And if others wanna play "Casualtard" games I ain't gonna hate on them for it

To be fair... 2 and 4 year olds enjoyed the Yogi Bear movie...

I mean, I enjoyed WiiSports for what it was. But I never played it after the first month, and never felt compelled to get any of the other Wii___ games.

rpmurphy

artwalknoon said:
Would it really matter that much though for those cases? It's not like any of it would carry over, so they would be starting from scratch anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:

I am happy to hear you disagree? It really informs me on, er, the disagreement part of things.

I would hope to elicit commentary on people who actually like this tripe because it educates me on how far people can go to the other side. I like being educated. It's not offensive to me if you take a position contrary to mine. In fact, the ones who do are the ones I respect because they can defend the things they like. It represents passion, and passion is a good thing.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
I honestly don't think Nintendo cares all that much.
Besides, Achievements are so low on the things that Nintendo needs to fix with their setup that it isn't even funny.

I agree its low on the totem pole of things to modernize in Nintendo but it also doesn't seem very hard to do. Then again you wouldn't think friend invites would be very hard to get right either. But to me part of the problem is that Nintendo seemingly doesn't care. I don't want this to devolve into an argument about achievements but I do think they add more incentive to do crazy stuff or explore every nook and tranny of a stage. Also adding an integrated achievement system would help to improve their image with the core gaming community. Now I have to believe Nintendo is interested in doing that.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
DefectiveReject said:

So uh basically everyone but your nephews remained with Nintendo. 99% chance your nephews would've bought an HD console at some point anyway. I'm not really seeing the "gateway" here.

artwalknoon said:
I agree its low on the totem pole of things to modernize in Nintendo but it also doesn't seem very hard to do. Then again you wouldn't think friend invites would be very hard to get right either. But to me part of the problem is that Nintendo seemingly doesn't care. I don't want this to devolve into an argument about achievements but I do think they add more incentive to do crazy stuff or explore every nook and tranny of a stage. Also adding an integrated achievement system would help to improve their image with the core gaming community. Now I have to believe Nintendo is interested in doing that.

Well, between what 1Up has said, and what Iwata himself has said recently, it seems that Nintendo has basically said "Screw it, someone else design our online structure for us." So, we could basically see anything happen on the Cafe. Including Achievements. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

Amir0x said:
Trust me you don't want mods giving tags.

I don't want the ability to give tags because by the end of the first year everyone on GAF would have a really embarrassing tag.

hit me baby. I can take it

about Wii Sports being casualtard, eh I guess. it really lacks depth to be anything more though. it's a tech demo I feel.

the Cafe better come hard with a pack-in though. Pikmin 3 bundle
believe

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

Welp your post is off to a good start if I have to confirm something as obvious as that

DefectiveReject said:

It only matters that the games are atrocious. I could give a fuck who is playing the games. If my niece loves Elmo's Counting with Numbers, but it's a terrible game, I'm going to call it a terrible game. I'm not going to pretend it isn't garbage because it got a new person playing games.

DefectiveReject said:

That's lovely. The gateway drug was still total crap, and that's what we're discussing - the advent of the "casualtard" genre (my own completely made up label for this new wave of shallow, tech-demo-ish games). Of course, your anecdotal tale is extremely rare just as mine is, as far as I've ever seen, extremely common. Almost everyone I know who didn't play games before Wii and tried out the Wii got into it for a few months AT MOST and then stopped playing games completely again.

Anecdotal evidence vs. Anecdotal Evidence. Now we're going nowhere.

DefectiveReject said:
And if others wanna play "Casualtard" games I ain't gonna hate on them for it

I don't hate them for it. I hate the game for being crap.

None of this is about hating the people who play the games. It's about turning ones nose up to inferior gaming products. I don't give something a pass merely because a company realized how to market it to people who traditionally hate games for once.

1-D_FTW

CoffeeJanitor said:

And tags on other boards were always positive things. Are they bad on GAF?

Retard Defense Force: Captain Retard

Judgement call. You decide.

watershed

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Would it really matter that much though for those cases? It's not like any of it would carry over, so they would be starting from scratch anyway.

no, my point is they wouldn't even be able to start from scratch, no one will, if there is no achievement system at all.

From The Dust said:
hit me baby. I can take it

about Wii Sports being casualtard, eh I guess. it really lacks depth to be anything more though. it's a tech demo I feel.

the Cafe better come hard with a pack-in though. Pikmin 3 bundle
believe

I think the days of Nintendo doing bundles at launch are over.
While it was a big selling point for the Wii, it also hurt them in the long run.

Painraze said:
So uh basically everyone but your nephews remained with Nintendo. 99% chance your nephews would've bought an HD console at some point anyway. I'm not really seeing the "gateway" here.
No. They still have and play Wii. They just satisfy their HD lusts with ps3. As anyone should own a 360 or ps3. Not for TEH HD but to sample awesome games.
No one liked Yogi Bear. And if my 2 year old is happy thinking she is playing a game with big people then they done alright by me. I mean having a dumb ass game where people can just have fun regardless of skill levels and not be put off being owned LOL
Amir0x said:
Welp your post is off to a good start if I have to confirm something as obvious as that
Nope. Purely stating that everything you said is in your opinion.. Horses for courses and all that. I don't get Anime, never have or will but I see others do. I let them be. I don't get baseball I evade therefore any topic on it. I don't and never really liked Halo. I therefore evade it and any topics. I like some games that got shitty reviews. Was only shitty to those people. To me it wasn't. Your opinion is only valid to you as mine is to me

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
I think the days of Nintendo doing bundles at launch are over.
While it was a big selling point for the Wii, it also hurt them in the long run.

I definitely would have preferred a $200 Wii and used that other $50 to buy a game I really wanted.

Of course, with Wii's launch the way it was, I guess I would have just got another extra controller or something :p

Amir0x said:
I definitely would have preferred a $200 Wii and used that other $50 to buy a game I really wanted.

Of course, with Wii's launch the way it was, I guess I would have just got another extra controller or something :p

And skip over Excite Trucks?
Fiend....

Amir0x said:

This is a lame party.

I'm the only one naked.

Amir0x said:
I am happy to hear you disagree? It really informs me on, er, the disagreement part of things.

I would hope to elicit commentary on people who actually like this tripe because it educates me on how far people can go to the other side. I like being educated. It's not offensive to me if you take a position contrary to mine. In fact, the ones who do are the ones I respect because they can defend the things they like. It represents passion, and passion is a good thing.
I'm not going to argue with you that Wii Sports isn't a shallow game, because it is, but that doesn't mean it's shitting up the industry. The game is fun. People still come by my room and play it in my dorms, so it's not like it's been abandoned.

So I guess there's not much to argue here. You're saying Wii Sports is a casualtard game, I'd say it's just more of a really good demo for what the Wii brings to the table. It worked, obviously. It also hasn't kept Nintendo from releasing meatier titles throughout the gen.

(For the record, tennis is good, bowling is fun when buzzed, baseball is ok, boxing is ass, golfing is passable)

That's cool if you don't like it, it's just that I disagree that it's shitting up the industry.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wii Sports was free for a reason.

It was popular because everyone that owned a Wii had it. It was one of the first motion games everyone tried.

It makes sense that people bought Wii Sports Resort to do other sports.

If Wii Sports wasn't free, or launched later in the console life time, no one would care.

They'd buy Mario sports tho.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
And skip over Excite Trucks?
Fiend....

I got Excite Trucks shortly after launch. I definitely wasn't a fan of it and I love arcade racers, but of course that's partially because I hate the way racing games feel when the controllers are turned NES-style. I also didn't like it because it felt very content-lite to me. I would have preferred it to be half the price it was.

Games I got around launch window... Twilight Princess, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Kororinpa, Red Steel

PLEASE NOTE: I got Red Steel through this Red Steel marketing site I participated in to get free shit. I ended up getting a signed by Tom Salta Red Steel Soundtrack, a copy of Red Steel and a free Nintendo DS. So shut up it was worth it :p

Death Note said:
If Wii Sports wasn't free, or launched later in the console life time, no one would care.

It wasn't packed in in Japan and Japan still ate it up. It was really about the marketing. Nintendo plastered the entire universe with marketing for Wii Sports, much like Microsoft purchased their Kinect fanbase.

You can sell people easily when you spend enough and say the right things. People were in gimmick mode after DS in Japan and the world.

rpmurphy

artwalknoon said:
no, my point is they wouldn't even be able to start from scratch, no one will, if there is no achievement system at all.
Right, there's an appeal for aggregate or game stats, but I think that's more of an incentive for existing users, not so much for people not yet on the service. Now if we're talking about stuff like being able to see what your friends are and have been playing, their recommendations, etc., that kind of stuff are sellers for a gaming network service.

Amir0x said:
I got Excite Trucks shortly after launch. I definitely wasn't a fan of it and I love arcade racers, but of course that's partially because I hate the way racing games feel when the controllers are turned NES-style. I also didn't like it because it felt very content-lite to me. I would have preferred it to be half the price it was.

Games I got around launch window... Twilight Princess, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Kororinpa, Red Steel

PLEASE NOTE: I got Red Steel through this Red Steel marketing site I participated in to get free shit. I ended up getting a signed by Tom Salta Red Steel Soundtrack, a copy of Red Steel and a free Nintendo DS. So shut up it was worth it :p

Whoa wait...
A free DS?
Well damn...
And Red Steel did have some nice music.

From The Dust said:
NO! you just gotta believe! I BELIEVE!! ;_;

The problem is, when Nintendo packs in a game, then there's no incentive to buy anything else for a while, which hurts your launch even more.
And with WiiSports, it was even more devastating because it turned the console into the Wii Sports machine. There are people who are barely aware that it can play other games...

Pistolero

Amir0X : You rox!
150% in agreement (duh!). I simply, honestly hope Nintendo seises this chance (the Stream project, or whatever it's called) to instil some new vigor into its winded and almost lethargic games development body, now that they have amassed billions upon billions of dollars with the wii. No more wight measurement, waist movements, hand shaking shit...PLEASE!

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Whoa wait...
A free DS?
Well damn...
And Red Steel did have some nice music.

Yes, it is through that site that I had that infamous youtube video where I acted like I was in an old karate training video and my flabby body flapped about when I was still fat :p But that video got me my free DS

VIDEO HAS SINCE BEEN CENSURED FROM THE INTERNET FOR YOUR PROTECTION

Pistolero said:
Amir0X : You rox!
150% in agreement (duh!). I simply, honestly hope Nintendo seises this chance (the Stream project, or whatever it's called) to instil some new vigor into its winded and almost lethargic games development body, now that they have amassed billions upon billions of dollars with the wii. No more wight measurement, waist movements, hand shaking shit...PLEASE!

I hope so too. I love Nintendo, when they're making the games they're best at. I hope they use Stream as an opportunity to also really go wild with some big hardcore IPs that are unrelated to their classic stable. I want to see more Pikmins this gen, less Wii Sports.

Instro

Amir0x said:
Yes, it is through that site that I had that infamous youtube video where I acted like I was in an old karate training video and my flabby body flapped about when I was still fat :p But that video got me my free DS

VIDEO HAS SINCE BEEN CENSURED FROM THE INTERNET FOR YOUR PROTECTION

Someone hunt down the video.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
100 Rupees to the man that finds karate Amir0x!

highlight of the video: i was benchpressing my mini-collie dog

oh yeah this is some classic dirt. if you find it you will die laughing and mocking my flabby body

watershed

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Right, there's an appeal for aggregate or game stats, but I think that's more of an incentive for existing users, not so much for people not yet on the service. Now if we're talking about stuff like being able to see what your friends are and have been playing, their recommendations, etc., that kind of stuff are sellers for a gaming network service.

I just hope there is a "gaming network service" the 3ds kinda has one but its pretty useless cuz all you can do it look at your friends (no msg system, etc). The wii's Mii Parade channel was neat and had potential as a sort of gamer community hub but it didn't end up being that. I hope Nintendo actually means to improve their online this time instead of just talking with a bunch of buzz words like "integrated", "always on", "community" then giving us nothing of the kind (see 3ds).

I hope Nintendo creates some kind of Mii hub world like a more interesting version of PS3's Home, where you can add friends, see their profiles, send msgs, chat etc. The one thing I like about the PS3's Home thing is a sense of an online community. But I don't actually like Home much at all.

Amir0x

Banned
well the concept of the video was that I was supposed to be a really exaggerated fat/slacker dude who thinks he's this rad karate master. I go about through training exercises with a way too tight shirt with my gut flopping about as I jump through ladder rungs, benchpress my mini-collie dog, and try to benchpress with my real weight set but then get crushed under the weight as my sister has to come save me.

In the background plays South Park's "MONTAGE" song

It was associated with Red Steel's "Karate" type theme

I GOT A FREE DS FOR THIS!

I am a whore :(

Amir0x said:
well the concept of the video was that I was supposed to be a really exaggerated fat/slacker dude who thinks he's this rad karate master. I go about through training exercises with a way too tight shirt with my gut flopping about as I jump through ladder rungs, benchpress my mini-collie dog, and try to benchpress with my real weight set but then get crushed under the weight as my sister has to come save me.

In the background plays South Park's "MONTAGE" song

It was associated with Red Steel's "Karate" type theme

Again.... all you're doing is making us want to see it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom