• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amir0x said:
Yes, with extremely well thought out point by point analysis of my positions and others positions.

Its this kind of hyperbole that annoys most people. You may think that your post are "EXTREMELY well thought" but what you think and the truth may differ.

Amir0x

Banned
Starchasing said:
Its this kind of hyperbole that annoys most people. You may think that your post are "EXTREMELY well thought" but what you think and the truth may differ.

There's not even room for debate about this issue here. I literally deconstructing each and every point being made toward me in a massive, thousands of word long post. And I've done that multiple times in extremely thoughtful fashions. I will not state my opinions in anything other than the utmost strength of my convictions, which is because I believe in them.

So my protip for you: An opinion stated strongly that you disagree with does not equal poorly thought out. Now, you've got your opportunity to start learning to deal with the points people are making or you're going to find like everyone else that this is a place that does not appreciate that GAMEFAQS-level posting style.

It's getting extremely grating that I will waste ten minutes writing a extremely thoughtful analysis of someone's posts and then response is from individuals like you and Father_Brain, incapable of formulating defenses of your own positions, to try to use reductive language on what was just being done. It's not going to be tolerated forever.

watershed

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
I don't know... but I have this feeling... this very strong feeling, specially because I had a dream again about this last night...

I really think that Nintendo is going to announce a Nintendo vs Capcom game this E3.

I seriously had the exact same thought a few days ago. I can't remember if it was a dream or not but I had a sudden impression that this would happen and be for the cafe, talk about hardcore! Nintendo vs Capcom would be amazing.

Sadist

Sooooo... how about that Wii successor? Mighty interesting I tell ya

Edit: Just make Capcom vs Smash Bros. with Power Stone Gameplay

Amir0x

Banned
Sadist said:
Sooooo... how about that Wii successor? Mighty interesting I tell ya

This is a discussion of Wii's successor. How, if Stream takes on qualities of GCN, it will be an amazing system.

I think so!

StevieP

Banned
Starchasing said:

Correct. But it is Amir0x's opinion. I disagree strongly with him sometimes (though moreso in the past, where the posts were more trollish rather than displaying (over?)confidence and conviction) but whenever you read his posts you have to know that it's just his opinion.

Yes, there's hyperbole. Yes he believes strongly in what he's saying and it may come off as insulting to some people... but in the end, it's his opinion. And you take it as such.

I, for instance, believe Wii had a better "Nintendo core" game library than the GCN. Galaxy cementing that. I also enjoyed Wii Sports and such with many family members many times (whereas I could not play S&P 2 with anyone other than my brother) and see the value in that for me... but I recognize that's my opinion. Amir0x has his, and they're presented with conviction and hyperbole sometimes - but that's how he does it. And it always incites discussion, doesn't it? Just be thankful nobody's ressurected drohne.

Edit: If you were to talk to 2006 me, I wouldn't believe that I just wrote (defending his posting style) but I wrote it. After years of reading this forum I know what to expect, and I know what it means - even if it does come off as inflammatory to some. It's his opinion, and you're welcome to refute it if you don't agree with it. You may even think it sucks, as I occasionally do, but that's why we discuss it. I'm not trying to be a backseat mod or anything but I've learned over the years that like it or hate it, it's going to be posted anyway. You'll be hard pressed to find a thread where it doesn't cause a discussion.

[Nintex] said:
So target render people, lets get to back to the important stuff here. How would a next-gen F-Zero look in 1080p?

Depends on what studio is designing it. Like Amirox said, it could look like Wipeout with F-Zero Vehicles, but I would hope for something more crazy, more outlandish.

I would love it if they would include the environments more into the visual design and track layout. Even more so than in GX.

Amir0x

Banned
boris feinbrand said:
Depends on what studio is designing it. Like Amirox said, it could look like Wipeout with F-Zero Vehicles, but I would hope for something more crazy, more outlandish.

I would love it if they would include the environments more into the visual design and track layout. Even more so than in GX.

how much more outlandish can you get than crazy rollercoaster courses with thunder storms raging in the background and shit

i mean, there's levels in F-Zero that are giant tubes surrounded by lava wheels and shit

Amir0x said:
There's not even room for debate about this issue here. I literally deconstructing each and every point being made toward me in a massive, thousands of word long post. And I've done that multiple times.

Protip for you and others: An opinion stated strongly that you disagree with does not equal poorly thought out. Now, you've got your opportunity to start learning to deal with the points people are making or you're going to find like everyone else that this is a place that does not appreciate that GAMEFAQS-level posting style.

Thanks for the protip. I have one for you too: massive, thousands of word long post doesnt always equal to a extremely well though post, and in the end its just your opinion and it is as valid as anyone else here.

Yes, there's hyperbole. Yes he believes strongly in what he's saying and it may come off as insulting to some people... but in the end, it's his opinion. And you take it as such.

I totally agree but if lot of people started complaining to me that they find my annoying i would start thinking about why

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been thinking lately that because of how Nintendo handled VC publishing that it'll probably be dead simple to just move that arrangement over to the successor system.

Sure people give VC shit for the games drying up but as a day one library? Very impressive.

Amir0x

Banned
Starchasing said:
Thanks for the protip. I have one for you too: massive, thousands of word long post doesnt always equal to a extremely well though post, and in the end its just your opinion and it is as valid as anyone else here.

And you have an opportunity to write back and tell me why it's not well thought out, even though it unarguably is.

What's not going to be tolerated is posts like this one anymore. Period. You either ignore the posts you don't like or you respond to them as thoughtfully as I have, or the end result will be removal from the conversation altogether. I have been extremely patient with people like you who would just to reduce the posts of those who actually put time and effort into their positions, who actually have the passion to defend their positions, with one liners about trolling or some other bullshit. It is time to choose your path on GAF. Only one has a future.

Amir0x

Banned
theBishop said:
HOW DARE YOU SAY THIS. F-Zero has NOTHING in common with Wipeout! And anyway, F-Zero did it first.

What does that have to do with how F-Zero will look? In my opinion, F-Zero GX in 1080p @ 60fps is going to share more than a few visual similarities to Wipeout :p

They play much differently, however. I love Wipeout but imo F-Zero GX is king.

artwalknoon said:
This is what stood out as odd to me about the 3ds launch. Maybe they will add MiiPlaza or Mii Parade in a future update?

The fact that 3ds overall desing was directed by a software designer, and the fact that there is a lot of room for future FW expansion, makes me think that there will be a lot of new software features coming for 3ds, such as the one you mention.

I think the same thing will happen to cafe, it will have lots of space for future improvements in the firmware.

The reason i beleive this is because i feel like Nintendo will use those improvements to fight piracy.

While the Gamecube certainly had some awesome games, it was still a huge financial failure. If it wasn't for Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market, Nintendo and the Gamecube might have gone the way of Sega and the Dreamcast. After the amount of money I invested in Dreamcast games during its original run, I can certainly tell you how brazen and stupid it is to say "I want good games! Sales be damned!"

I was a big fan of the Wii and it is definitely what got me back into gaming after the Dreamcast died. I'm most likely picking up Nintendo's next console and I'd rather it not die a year or two after its release because they feel like catering to the people that actually liked Super Mario Sunshine.

theBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
What does that have to do with how F-Zero will look? In my opinion, F-Zero GX in 1080p @ 60fps is going to share more than a few visual similarities to Wipeout :p

They play much differently, however. I love Wipeout but imo F-Zero GX is king.

Wipeout doesn't have 360' tracks. Fact.

StevieP

Banned
FoneBone said:
I unironically miss drohne - he was good at his shtick

Perhaps a mod or admin will ressurect drohne as well, as they recently have Drinky. Though Drinky used to be a lot more trollish than his current purveyor.

While the Gamecube certainly had some awesome games, it was still a huge financial failure. If it wasn't for Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market, Nintendo and the Gamecube might have gone the way of Sega and the Dreamcast. After the amount of money I invested in Dreamcast games during its original run, I can certainly tell you how brazen and stupid it is to say "I want good games! Sales be damned!"

I agree with your opinion (even the Super Mario Sunshine portion - the only Mario game I've never finished!) but aside from the launch period and briefly when they dropped the Cube to $99, I don't think Nintendo ever lost money on it, even if it did sell like shit. The XBox sold like a million more units or something, and lost Microsoft billions - THAT's a financial failure.

Amir0x said:
how much more outlandish can you get than crazy rollercoaster courses with thunder storms raging in the background and shit

i mean, there's levels in F-Zero that are giant tubes surrounded by lava wheels and shit

It's really hard to pinpoint, but those are good examples on what I would love to see more and/or enhanced versions of. The tracks in the rain in GX in particular are extremely well made and give an incredible sense of speed, but are a bit tame when it comes to track design.
Those background animations should be massively expanded and maybe even integrated into the tracks themselves. for example falling boulders that need to be avoided, Gears that shift parts of the track around after each lap, or even while you're on them, reconnecting the track just in time etc. Sure a lot of this sounds like added gimmicks but I would appreciate stuff like that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mortrialus said:

I was a big fan of the Wii and it is definitely what got me back into gaming after the Dreamcast died. I'm most likely picking up Nintendo's next console and I'd rather it not die a year or two after its release because they feel like catering to the people that actually liked Super Mario Sunshine.

...GCN wasn't anything near a financial failure. They only briefy sold it for a loss when it first went down to 99 US. Get your facts straight.

artwalknoon said:
I seriously had the exact same thought a few days ago. I can't remember if it was a dream or not but I had a sudden impression that this would happen and be for the cafe, talk about hardcore! Nintendo vs Capcom would be amazing.

Yeah... plus, Capcom said recently that they would love to make a Nintendo vs Capcom game... they said that Nintendo probably would say no, but still, they could be hiding something.

JGS

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Chiming in the GameCube versus Wii disscusion

I think they are both about even, and both worse than PS2, PS3 and 360 libraries.

GameCube has
Metroid Prime series
Pikmin series
Tales of Symphonia
Beyond Good and Evil
Viewtiful Joe series
REmake and RE4
Zelda Windwaker
Smash Bros Melee
Paper Mario 2
Soul Calibur 2
F Zero GX
TimeSplitters series

Wii has
Mario Galaxy series
Zak and Wiki
Zelda Skyward Sword
Xenoblade
Wii Sports and Resort
No More Heroes series
DKC Returns
NSMBWii
Sin and Punishment 2
Monster Hunter Tri
GoldenEye

However GC wins just because it has more multiplatform support than Wii, GC still got a few multiplatform games like Burnout, Spiderman 2 and etc.
Plus GCN had better 7ish games. Wii is my most played system now, but the Gamecube games were something else especially Rogue Squadron which still looks fabulous by Wii standards.

ace3skoot

So I think Monster Hunter would be a great fit for the rumoured Café, nice big 6 inch screens with dual analogue for control, can easily see 4 people playing very similar to how they currently do for PSP, using the main screen as a forum/lobby/intro cut scenes/map. whatever you can think of.

or for single player using the TV could use the touch screen for items, maps messages etc.

edit:
I would settle for F-Zero GX remastered in 1080p, that game was such a gem, not that a new game wouldn't be nice, but HD with online play would be more than enough to tide me over in the wait for a new one.

Amir0x

Banned
Mortrialus said:

Which would of course have been incorrect, considering how Gamecube was hugely profitable for Nintendo.

Nintendo was not going to go the way of SEGA, sorry to break it to you :p

Mortrialus said:
I'd rather it not die a year or two after its release because they feel like catering to the people that actually liked Super Mario Sunshine.

Gamecube had a normal five year lifespan filled with amazing titles from start to finish. And I know the internet likes to have a short term memory, but most people liked Super Mario Sunshine.

TheBishop said:
Wipeout doesn't have 360' tracks. Fact.

Are you trying to make a point here? You're going off the rails. We're talking about how F-Zero will look like in HD.

watershed

Banned
Starchasing said:
The fact that 3ds overall desing was directed by a software designer, and the fact that there is a lot of room for future FW expansion, makes me think that there will be a lot of new software features coming for 3ds, such as the one you mention.

Same goes to cafe

Well I hope Nintendo brings more of those features to the 3ds soon. Not to be one of those people, but my 3ds does a lot of sitting around these days.

Also for the cafe, the eshop, online system, netflix, MiiPlaza+ shit all better be there day 1. People won't tolerate another 3ds-like launch, especially not for a home console.

Amir0x said:
Which would of course have been incorrect, considering how Gamecube was hugely profitable for Nintendo.

Nintendo was not going to go the way of SEGA, sorry to break it to you :p

Gamecube had a normal five year lifespan filled with amazing titles from start to finish. And I know the internet likes to have a short term memory, but most people liked Super Mario Sunshine.

Are you trying to make a point here? You're going off the rails. We're talking about how F-Zero will look like in HD.

I suppose this is what happens when you pretty much stop giving a shit about most of what happens in gaming between 2002-2008. I was under the assumption that it simply limped about during most of its lifespan.

I still think Super Mario Sunshine was pitiful.

artwalknoon said:
Well I hope Nintendo brings more of those features to the 3ds soon. Not to be one of those people, but my 3ds does a lot of sitting around these days.

Also for the cafe, the eshop, online system, netflix, MiiPlaza+ shit all better be there day 1. People won't tolerate another 3ds-like launch, especially not for a home console.

Knowing Nintendo, they will update the 3DS until May 31...

=(

ace3skoot

Mortrialus said:

[/I]

this is just outright wrong, Nintendo made a massive profit on every GC sold

artwalknoon said:

I hope so too, but in thee other hand look at how Nintendo handled WiiConnect24

Knowing Nintendo, they will update the 3DS until May 31...

They said that it was coming in the end of may ...

Amir0x

Banned
Mortrialus said:
I suppose this is what happens when you pretty much stop giving a shit about most of what happens in gaming between 2002-2008. I was under the assumption that it simply limped about during most of its lifespan.

I still think Super Mario Sunshine was pitiful.

Right see because Wii got you back into gaming, I think it's a little bizarre you're even making a statement as to the quality of GCN. Kinda lacking the experience of your convictions there :p

I don't really understand the Super Mario Sunshine detractors. To me, it was amazing. I loved the concentrated vacation theme - I'm so bored of GRASS, LAVA, WINTER, DESERT theme Mario games. Breath of fresh air.

I thought FLUDD was a beautiful, natural expansion of the core principle of 3D Mario, which is momentum and acrobatics. With FLUDD, you could like flip off traditional Mario tricks into ever more graceful, astounding feats of acrobatic mayhem, which to me is the #1 thing I look for in 3D Mario games. If that core gameplay is so good, everything else tends to fall in line.

Of course I also thought the level design was superb - Hotel level aside, ugh - so I don't have a problem with that either. Although I must admit, I could do with less 'cleaning the floor' missions :p

Starchasing said:
Well if you argue that way, try to compare Nintendos stance on online from back then to now.

They might have understood the major shift to online as a separate plattform by now. Just a few years too late.

GC had F-Zero GX, RE4, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. The only real answer the Wii has to that level of awesome is the Galaxy series. GCN wins.

Also Super Mario Sunshine rocked. I will never understand the level of hate that game continues to get.

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
GC had F-Zero GX, RE4, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. The only real answer the Wii has to that level of awesome is the Galaxy series. GCN wins.

why REmake always gets ignored? And shit, REmake didn't come out on all the other platforms either so it's a genuine GCN exclusive.

CRIMSON ZOMBIES = AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I sort of dug Resident Evil Zero too but obviously that is much reduced quality next to REmake and RE4 :p

watershed

Banned
Starchasing said:
Oh I know, I am very pessimistic about anything Nintendo and online. In this thread and the other some people are really getting their hopes up about no friendcodes, an integrated online system, a hub world, gamer profiles, and more 1st party games with online play. I am not so optimistic and I won't believe it till I play it. Not when Nintendo talks about it, like they did with the wii and the 3ds, but when I actually use the features.

So, this may have been discussed to death already, but with the new XBox supposedly already being in dev hands... this could be good for the Cafe for two reasons.
1. I might force Nintendo to price more competitively if there's another system coming out soon.
2. It means the Cafe really won't be that far out of the loop, even if MS goes super high end.

ace3skoot

Amir0x said:
Right see because Wii got you back into gaming, I think it's a little bizarre you're even making a statement as to the quality of GCN. Kinda lacking the experience of your convictions there :p

I don't really understand the Super Mario Sunshine detractors. To me, it was amazing. I loved the concentrated vacation theme - I'm so bored of GRASS, LAVA, WINTER, DESERT theme Mario games. Breath of fresh air.

I thought FLUDD was a beautiful, natural expansion of the core principle of 3D Mario, which is momentum and acrobatics. With FLUDD, you could like flip off traditional Mario tricks into ever more graceful, astounding feats of acrobatic mayhem, which to me is the #1 thing I look for in Mario games. If that core gameplay is so good, everything else tends to fall in line.

Of course I also thought the level design was superb - Hotel level aside, ugh - so I don't have a problem with that either. Although I must admit, I could do with less 'cleaning the floor' missions :p

I love sunshine, and can't understand the wrap it gets, its just purist having something to moan about i guess, I wonder how people would view ithe game if it was framed as another Luigi spin off or a completely new IP

Amir0x said:
why REmake always gets ignored? And shit, REmake didn't come out on all the other platforms either so it's a genuine GCN exclusive.

I sort of dug Resident Evil Zero too but obviously that is much reduced quality next to REmake and RE4 :p

Funny, I'm currently replaying all Resident Evil games, and RE Zero is like the odd one. Great looks, some amazing looking cutscenes (the jungle flashback in particular) but the spark of genius that is present in REmake, RE2, CV and RE4 just isn't there.
I guess the leeches simply don't have that appeal like Crimson Head Zombies, Lisa Trevor, Birkin or Nosferatu had.

boris feinbrand said:
Well if you argue that way, try to compare Nintendos stance on online from back then to now.

They might have understood the major shift to online as a separate plattform by now. Just a few years too late.

But so far is all talk ... we have no concrete proof that Nintendo has made a radical shift. You still cant send mesages to your friend list, and there are no invites...

Amir0x

Banned
ace3skoot said:
I love sunshine, and can't understand the wrap it gets, its just purist having something to moan about i guess, I wonder how people would view ithe game if it was framed as another Luigi spin off or a completely new IP

I mean I can sort of get some of the complaints, sure. The camera was troublesome and the cleaning shit up levels could be more than a little irritating. But other than that, to call it 'pitiful', is really extreme for what it did.

It was an amazing controlling Mario game with fantastic level design and a brilliant theme. It still had all that going for it.

In my opinion, based on the superior control and visuals alone, Sunshine beats out 64 as a game I frequently return to and play.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
So, this may have been discussed to death already, but with the new XBox supposedly already being in dev hands... this could be good for the Cafe for two reasons.
1. I might force Nintendo to price more competitively if there's another system coming out soon.
2. It means the Cafe really won't be that far out of the loop, even if MS goes super high end.
The hope is that with both dev kits out there, number one that they are comparable and two that games are being developed as multi-plat for both consoles. It would be embarrassing if both dev kits were in the studio and the cafe one looked like crap next to the microsoft one (in power and performance, not aesthetics).

Amir0x said:

I was just listing one from each franchise I guess (I also looooooove Prime 2). I totally dig REmake and think it's the best 'traditional' Resident Evil game. One of my all time faves.

RE Zero is good, though not exactly special.

Amir0x said:

Thats part of the beauty of the Wii: Backwards compatibility. I've since studied up on the Gamecube's library personally.

I agree with you here. I still really love the way Super Mario Sunshine looks. I remember Noki Bay being particularly striking.

I thought FLUDD was a beautiful, natural expansion of the core principle of 3D Mario, which is momentum and acrobatics. With FLUDD, you could like flip off traditional Mario tricks into ever more graceful, astounding feats of acrobatic mayhem, which to me is the #1 thing I look for in Mario games. If that core gameplay is so good, everything else tends to fall in line.

I disagree with you here. I just think FLUDD was an underwhelming gimmick comparable to the 3D Sonic games. It lacked the charm of Mario's previous power ups. "Rocket" "Hover" and "Run fast" weren't particularly inspired power ups either. Not a fan of actually shooting water either. Cleaning up really sucks as well. Overall FLUDD is my big grip and it drains a lot of the fun out of the game for me.

ace3skoot said:

I've never been a huge Mario fan aside from 3 and now the Galaxy games. I'm hardly a purist.

artwalknoon said:
The hope is that with both dev kits out there, number one that they are comparable and two that games are being developed as multi-plat for both consoles. It would be embarrassing if both dev kits were in the studio and the cafe one looked like crap next to the microsoft one (in power and performance, not aesthetics).

Well, I'm certain that whatever MS has will be more powerful, but it shouldn't be by enough to exclude the Cafe, if rumors are true.
Also, it seems MS might be focusing more on Kinect for their next system, which means they won't go as crazy with horsepower.

Starchasing said:
But so far is all talk ... we have no concrete proof that Nintendo has made a radical shift. You still cant send mesages to your friend list, and there are no invites...

True true, actions speak louder than words. As of right now even the 3DS is no indication that Nintendo is truly willing to commit to embrace online. I guess they still think of it as a feature rather than a standalone plattform that runs parallel and independent of hardware generations.

Amir0x

Banned
I think FLUDD is different from most powerups in that it is fundamentally a acrobatic enhancement. Due to this, it is on another tier entirely. A fire flower is a fire flower. Its closest cousin is CLOUD power up, I'd say, in terms of how it enhances Mario's acrobatics.

Since acrobatics and momentum is so central to 3D Mario games, I think I am on fairly solid ground when I say that any ability or tool that aids Mario to perform even MORE amazing feats of acrobatic love is something worth having and exploring.

Are you disagreeing that FLUDD achieved those things? Because I can show you absolutely SICK shortcuts I achieved utilizing FLUDD as an acrobatic aid...

The worst part about Sunshine was Yoshi.
I mean, first off, you had to bring a specific fruit to the bastard, which took forever.
Then he controlled like utter shit.
Oh, and HEAVEN FORBID HIS TOE GETS WET AND HE MELTS!
Ugh...

ace3skoot

Magicpaint said:
I was just listing one from each franchise I guess (I also looooooove Prime 2). I totally dig REmake and think it's the best 'traditional' Resident Evil game. One of my all time faves.

RE Zero is good, though not exactly special.

Also REmake had multiple endings, looked gorgeous, great unlocks and incentives for re-runs and speed runs and yet was utterly true to the original games spirit

also Lisa Trevor still creeps me out, and I felt so sorry for her, and wanted to just put her our of her misery :(

on my first play through I had no idea about burning the dead zombies the first crimson heads frighten the fuck out of me! Awww good times :)

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
The worst part about Sunshine was Yoshi.
I mean, first off, you had to bring a specific fruit to the bastard, which took forever.
Then he controlled like utter shit.
Oh, and HEAVEN FORBID HIS TOE GETS WET AND HE MELTS!
Ugh...

No disagreements there. Yoshi was a TOTAL afterthought, compared to how he controls like a dream in Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom