• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksrb

wsippel said:
They should just port over Infinite and add the first two as bonus content. Disk space should be sufficient for all three games. Unless the Café version uses higher quality assets, of course.

This would also be really good for the Batman Arkham games.

Two awesome series this gen that would be too big in my opinion to bundle would be the Assassin and Mass Effect series (although ME3 and A:R could be released less than a year later).

Akai

artwalknoon said:
I wonder if the next 3d mario console game will bring a more coherent setting that is more theme based like Mario Sunshine or the world based marios like NSMBwii or SMW for example...

Mario Galaxy already looks so gorgeous that I'm not sure what else they could do in terms of visuals BESIDES making larger worlds to explore...

AceBandage said:
It'll be more like Super Mario Land 2 with themed settings that aren't just elemental/climate.

I approve of this idea. The utter weirdness in Six Golden Coins (I love saying that) was one of its greatest assets. What was the one level? Whale Zone? Only flaw was the game was pretty easy.

Also, stomping on the bosses felt damn satisfying in that game. Great combination of the animation and sound effects.

I also would like to see some unique secrets that are not just more stars. Like Wario Land had all the different treasures you could collect. That was awesome. Or items like the key or flute in SMW/SMB3. I want hidden worlds that feel "top secret" and are not given away by a silhouette on the map as in NSMB.

Fourth Storm said:
I approve of this idea. The utter weirdness in Six Golden Coins (I love saying that) was one of its greatest assets. What was the one level? Whale Zone? Only flaw was the game was pretty easy.

Also, stomping on the bosses felt damn satisfying in that game. Great combination of the animation and sound effects.

I also would like to see some unique secrets that are not just more stars. Like Wario Land had all the different treasures you could collect. That was awesome. Or items like the key or flute in SMW/SMB3. I want hidden worlds that feel "top secret" and are not given away by a silhouette on the map as in NSMB.

Inside a Whale
Toy Mario Soldier
Space
Haunted House
Under Ground

That's all I can remember.

Retro

Mario > Mario Land > Mario World > Mario Galaxy > ...

Mario Infinity (previously Mario 128)
Visit parallel universes with parallel Marios, some of them good, some bad, but all in need of assistance from the Omni-dimension Bowser Army. Each universe takes the traditional Mushroom Kingdom and alters it slightly.

- Retro Universe: Chiptune soundtrack, pixel/cubism, lots of side-view sections.
- Bizarre Universe: Mario is evil and Bowser is good. Lots of ruins and castles.
- Next Gen Universe: Mario is bald, everything is brown and high-contrast. :)lol)
- Yoshi Universe: Mario Galaxy in Yoshi's Island crayon-drawn visuals... <3

Seriously, just tons of weird, off-the-wall universes, whatever Nintendo wants to throw at us, they can do. Different visual styles even.

Multiplayer mode means multiple Mario mayhem too.

Retro said:

Visit parallel universes with parallel Marios, some of them good, some bad, but all in need of assistance from the Omni-dimension Bowser Army. Each universe takes the traditional Mushroom Kingdom and alters it slightly.

- Retro Universe: Chiptune soundtrack, pixel/cubism, lots of side-view sections.
- Bizarre Universe: Mario is evil and Bowser is good. Lots of ruins and castles.
- Next Gen Universe: Mario is bald, everything is brown and high-contrast. :)lol)

Seriously, just tons of weird, off-the-wall universes, whatever Nintendo wants to throw at us, they can do.

Haha, this idea rocks! How about a universe based on the old show? Mario could be a digitized version of Captain Lou Albano.

watershed

Banned
Akai said:
Mario Galaxy already looks so gorgeous that I'm not sure what else they could do in terms of visuals BESIDES making larger worlds to explore...
that's pretty much what I'm saying, the galaxy games are great looking games, so while hd makes any game look better what else could they do? I think the answer is a more unified design. The galaxy stages are very random and absurd when you step back and look at the actual stage layouts. They are visually great and gameplay wise, amazing but they are not coherent. So I think Nintendo could go back to a more themed route like sunshine or some of the others I listed in my above post. Or bigger and crazier.

watershed

Banned
Retro said:

- Yoshi Universe: Mario Galaxy in Yoshi's Island crayon-drawn visuals... <3

Seriously, just tons of weird, off-the-wall universes, whatever Nintendo wants to throw at us, they can do. Different visual styles even.

ya know I thought about an idea of a 3d mario game where one stage or world was in 8bit style kinda like 3d dot hero complete with chiptunes.
Mario Infinity sounds good but I thought they might go with Mario Universe.

Akai said:

Well, if they decide to ditch the Galaxy concept, having more detailed 3D backgrounds might use up some of the extra power.

watershed

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
Well, if they decide to ditch the Galaxy concept, having more detailed 3D backgrounds might use up some of the extra power.
One thing they could do is end the floating in the middle of nowhere stage design. Maybe ground the stages in some kind of setting or find different ways to create stage barriers.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
Mario in a Just Cause 2 sized world.
Now that would be awesome.
someone mentioned putting all the stages into one world like metriod prime or Just Cause but I think that would actually make the game less fun in some ways. Like traveling too much between objectives/stars/stages. One thing I really liked in SMG2 was how quickly you could get in and out of stages.

Retro

artwalknoon said:
ya know I thought about an idea of a 3d mario game where one stage or world was in 8bit style kinda like 3d dot hero complete with chiptunes.
Mario Infinity sounds good but I thought they might go with Mario Universe.

I just like the imagery "Infinity" conjures up, of an endless supply of universes, so you can really go crazy with alternative realities. And yeah, you can have the "Ice Universe", the "Lava Universe", but everything is kind of rooted in a singular world.

So instead of the gravity-defying aspects of Galaxy (which I am not knocking in the slightest, but that's not a direction the series can maintain from here on out.), you have a more Mario 64/Sunshine approach but with all the setting craziness that Galaxy allows.

You could have futuristic worlds, space worlds, prehistoric levels (Caveman Mario), and basically see all of these crazy takes on Mario / Princess / Bowser. Hell, maybe there's a universe where Peach is a dictator and the entire world is this enormous Hot Pink empire.

Maybe the theme of the game is, Mario has some McGuffin that you have to obtain from each parallel version. Like Papa Mario's lucky coin or something. Sometimes you need to help that universe's Mario out, sometimes you have to beat him, sometimes you need to rescue him. Whatever it takes to get that world's coin and sort out the Multiverse... hehe

From The Dust said:
people are still on Mario 128? ffs people, let it go
Last time I use a Moon Atomizer on YOU!

Seriously though, I'm not talking about reviving Mario 128, but it was just too cool of an idea not to slip in there; tons of marios.

watershed

Banned
Retro said:
I just like the imagery "Infinity" conjures up, of an endless supply of universes, so you can really go crazy with alternative realities. And yeah, you can have the "Ice Universe", the "Lava Universe", but everything is kind of rooted in a singular world.

So instead of the gravity-defying aspects of Galaxy (which I am not knocking in the slightest, but that's not a direction the series can maintain from here on out.), you have a more Mario 64/Sunshine approach but with all the setting craziness that Galaxy allows.

You could have futuristic worlds, space worlds, prehistoric levels (Caveman Mario), and basically see all of these crazy takes on Mario / Princess / Bowser. Hell, maybe there's a universe where Peach is a dictator and the entire world is this enormous Hot Pink empire.

Maybe the theme of the game is, Mario has some McGuffin that you have to obtain from each parallel version. Like Papa Mario's lucky coin or something. Sometimes you need to help that universe's Mario out, sometimes you have to beat him, sometimes you need to rescue him. Whatever it takes to get that world's coin and sort out the Multiverse... hehe

Last time I use a Moon Atomizer on YOU!

Seriously though, I'm not talking about reviving Mario 128, but it was just too cool of an idea not to slip in there; tons of marios.

Sounds great but stop dreaming before you end up being dissappointed by what we actually get. Though I'm not sure that's possible with EAD, they kinda are gods at this point.

Retro

artwalknoon said:
Sounds great but stop dreaming before you end up being dissappointed by what we actually get. Though I'm not sure that's possible with EAD, they kinda are gods at this point.

I'm just tossing the idea out there. In all honesty, if we get something at the same level as Galaxy 2, I'm happy.

wsippel said:
Yes, it's 2012. It definitely should get a port.
It might not.

If they got a devkit midway through development, Irrational might just say "Fuck that, we've got enough on our plate."

And I doubt Take Two will be particularly forceful in trying to get them to do it.

Elixist

AceBandage said:
Mario in a Just Cause 2 sized world.
Now that would be awesome.

Hell yes, I've wanted an open world Mario for a while, title it Mario's World. Bring back cannons from 64 to shoot you long distances and also make the jumping more physics based and technical.

ReyVGM

Retro said:

This is why Nintendo will die once Miyamoto is not there. I'm sure someone, eventually, will get a crazy idea like that and turn Mario into what Sonic has become: a joke.
No offense, Retro.

ReyVGM said:
This is why Nintendo will die once Miyamoto is not there. I'm sure someone, eventually, will get a crazy idea like that and turn Mario into what Sonic has become: a joke.
No offense, Retro.

Nah, Miyamoto is training like 5 people to think exactly like he does, only with better ideas.

wsippel

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It might not.

If they got a devkit midway through development, Irrational might just say "Fuck that, we've got enough on our plate."

And I doubt Take Two will be particularly forceful in trying to get them to do it.
I said that it should get a port - not that it will get a port. ;)

Retro

ReyVGM said:
No offense, Retro.

The Difference:
Sega says "It's Sonic in space, and he visits multiple planets" and Sega, being Sega, makes a complete joke of it.

Nintendo says "It's Mario in space, and he visits multiple planets" and Nintendo, being Nintendo, pulls it off. Beautifully. Twice.

No offense taken, I didn't say it was a good idea, just an idea.

JGS

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nah, Miyamoto is training like 5 people to think exactly like he does, only with better ideas.
I thought Tokyo Nintendo was responsible for a lot of the uniqueness, so even if it's their brain trust, Nintendo will be fine.

MisterHero

I would love, LOVE a Mario game like that but I can't imagine it being the most resource-intense game Nintendo would ever make. The concept of Kingdom Hearts had lots of potential but the worlds you visited were limited, and they spent too much time making a complicated story even more complicated and taking away from the core concept.

I would love them to apply it to a Smash Bros.-type game, it gives them the opportunity to highlight other franchises and it can add a ton of gameplay variety without having to divert too much out of any one of them.

Zeal said:
i'm sorry but Miyamoto is overrated. yeah, i said it.
I take it you're not done trolling

AceBandage said:
The father of modern video games?
I mean, you can argue that this generation he hasn't been as nearly influential as previous, but overrated? I don't think that's possible.
I guess you could call helping design the Wii Remote "not as influencial" :p

Zeal said:

I mean, you can argue that this generation he hasn't been as nearly influential as previous, but overrated? I don't think that's possible.

ElFly said:
Never buying a game called "Marionette" ever.

Why not? It would have been awesome for Wii. I could see it being on the same level as Wii Music.

*remembers the level of Wii Music*

Nevermind.

Zeal said:

*kicks Zeal on his right pinky toe*

antonz

Half of todays modern Game Designers have no issue saying they wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for Miyamoto.

Even if you consider his output isnt as high of caliber as his prior work his influence has led to many high caliber developers being into gaming.

Zeal said:

When you think about how trolling works, and how it gets people to react, you'll realise that the better post would have been:

"I'm sorry but Miyamoto has lost his touch. Nothing since Super Mario Sunshine has been up to scratch."

To really sound like a ridiculous asshole, you need to step it up. I can help you. I'm a ridiculous asshole and I can provide lessons.

AceBandage said:
His actual effect on the games he's credited for might be a bit overstated, though. Seems like some people give him all the credit when there's a whole team working on these games.

but Shiggy still rocks

CoffeeJanitor said:
His actual effect on the games he's credited for might be a bit overstated, though. Seems like some people give him all the credit when there's a whole team working on these games.

but Shiggy still rocks

Well, sure, it takes a talented team to make a game like Mario Galaxy, and Miyamoto wasn't the only person that was designing it. But his ideas and direction are still very influential in most of Nintendo's products.

AceBandage said:
Well, sure, it takes a talented team to make a game like Mario Galaxy, and Miyamoto wasn't the only person that was designing it. But his ideas and direction are still very influential in most of Nintendo's products.

It's no coincidence that the majority of games he's been heavily involved with have been classics. Wii music notwithstanding.

AceBandage said:
Right, no disagreement there.

M74

brochiller said:
It's no coincidence that the majority of games he's been heavily involved with have been classics. Wii music notwithstanding.
It's ok. Surely he got all the "bad" out of his system with that one so everything else he touches will be acceptable.

donny2112

CoffeeJanitor said:
I blame Bush

I blame that PR lady who used to do the Nintendo Minute. She was "employee kidnapped" to try out that game while in Japan, and told them it was great, just perfect. She seemed to not really have any clue about video games. Perrin would've told them to take it back to the drawing board or something. :lol

Edit:
http://m.bitmob.com/articles/the-full-interview-nintendos-denise-kaigler

I blame her for Wii Music. :lol

Speaking of Wii Music, I wonder if we will get any gif worthy moments at E3 like this with the rumored control set up.

25282.gif

I'm expecting it to be kinda bland as well, but I lean on the hope of over-exaggeration to make it seem enjoyable to create that kind of moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom