• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Amir0x said:
i just refuse to modify my Wii. I bricked my PSP trying to modify it and I won't take the chance again. too many fucking downloaded games on it that I'd lose if that happened. 'Cause it's not like Nintendo would replace them on a clearly modified console

Lies, and baseless assumptions. Our launch Wii's memory crapped out after the warranty was out, and we took it in to a Nintendo repair shop.

We had Homebrew on the Wii Menu with a number of other 'non-official' shortcuts as well. They took it in, hooked it up, ran a few test. They didn't care about it, and replaced the console for the standard repair fee. All our downloaded content came over. They give no two shits about Homebrew.

And you're missing out on one of the better parts of Wii owner. The system is even simpler than the PSP is to hack, and there is nearly no chance of bricking it if you back up your Wii's NAND.

But it's not like Dolphin takes modifying your Wii anyways.. it's a PC emulator. Have at the 1080p, if you have the rig.

Wolves Evolve said:
I think we should begin a round of Iwata-bomb-za-droppen photoshops. Just to celebrate the idea of 1080p Mario.

2s7h0kz.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
EvilMario said:
Lies, and baseless assumptions. Our launch Wii's memory crapped out after the warranty was out, and we took it in to a Nintendo repair shop.

We had Homebrew on the Wii Menu with a number of other 'non-official' shortcuts as well. They took it in, hooked it up, ran a few test. They didn't care about it, and replaced the console for the standard repair fee. All our downloaded content came over. They give no two shits about Homebrew.

And you're missing out on one of the better parts of Wii owner. The system is even simpler than the PSP is to hack, and there is nearly no chance of bricking it if you back up your Wii's NAND.

But it's not like Dolphin takes modifying your Wii anyways.. it's a PC emulator. Have at the 1080p, if you have the rig.

It's not lies. Their factual policy is not to fix modified Wii's. That yours slipped under their radar does not make the risk worth it.

In order to rip Wii games, I need to modify the Wii as far as I am aware. I certainly don't know of a program to rip my Wii games on my PC.

Gvaz

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
I actually WANT Skyward Sword to move to a new console. The Miyamoto demo encapsulates everything I've felt with the Wii. Excitement + intuitive ideas + horrendous experience. Yes, I'm fine with a classic controller pro, its amazing, etc - I'm not stupid. But it was a real downer, that moment. Like, here we are on top of the generation, with a marquee title.. and the console can't demo it in public. Oh.
I want zelda on the PC where they aren't hampered by things like hardware limitations. Just stop making console games. Shit.

Amir0x said:
It's not lies. Their factual policy is not to fix modified Wii's. That yours slipped under their radar does not make the risk worth it.

In order to rip Wii games, I need to modify the Wii as far as I am aware. I certainly don't know of a program to rip my Wii games on my PC.

There are... but you have to have a specific DVD drive that isn't made anymore and there's only line a thousand in existence.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gvaz said:
I want zelda on the PC where they aren't hampered by things like hardware limitations. Just stop making console games. Shit.
Gvaz
has unbelievably dumb ideas
(Today, 04:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The risking of bricking a Wii during homebrew install is so low that it might as well be zero. It's not even "oh it's low but maaaybe", it's all kinds of stupid safe to pull off. BootMii makes the risk of homebrew completely obsolete as well, as you can backup the entire fucking NAND.

Worry of losing downloaded games is the only plausible excuse, and that's the worry that you'll lose the games if the Wii dies later in it's life or something. Because it wont die from homebrew.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
There are... but you have to have a specific DVD drive that isn't made anymore and there's only line a thousand in existence.

Ah. So yeah that's not happening

EatChildren said:
The risking of bricking a Wii during homebrew install is so low that it might as well be zero. It's not even "oh it's low but maaaybe", it's all kinds of stupid safe to pull off. BootMii makes the risk of homebrew completely obsolete as well, as you can backup the entire fucking NAND.

Worry of losing downloaded games is the only plausible excuse, and that's the worry that you'll lose the games if the Wii dies later in it's life or something. Because it wont die from homebrew.

My Wii bricked itself merely performing one of Nintendo's ACTUAL system updates. I had to send that shit in and wait weeks to get it back.

Not worth it in this case because then I'd lose a lot more than time.

Gvaz

Banned
blu said:
Gvaz
has unbelievably dumb ideas
(Today, 04:57 PM)
Reply | Quote
There's nothing wrong with wanting games on the PC, where they'll look better and have the option of having different controls.

Neiteio

bgassassin said:
Speaking of Wii Music, I wonder if we will get any gif worthy moments at E3 like this with the rumored control set up.

25282.gif
BOOM BADA BOOM BOOM BADA BOOM BOOM BOOM BADA TING TANG BOOM BANG BADA BOOM BADA BANG BANG BANG TISSSSH RATTLE BANG

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gvaz said:
There's nothing wrong with wanting games on the PC, where they'll look better and have the option of having different controls.
And will sell a faction of their console version. Yeah, no.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
My Wii bricked itself merely performing one of Nintendo's ACTUAL system updates. I had to send that shit in and wait weeks to get it back.

Not worth it in this case because then I'd lose a lot more than time.

It's riskier updating your Wii through Nintendo than it is installing homebrew, then updating through homebrew.

That is how good/sad the situation is.

Wasn't the problem that the Wii's OS was hardcoded into the system, rather than being an actual program? So that made updating difficult?

Amir0x

Banned
I am sure it's very easy, it's just not a risk I'm going to take. my experience on these matters has been too poor to risk it.

My first post here! :)

Anyway, I cannot wait for Nintendo's next console. Lets get this discussion back on track.

Anyone think the GPU will be based on RV770 with all 800 stream processors ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
herzogzwei1989 said:
My first post here! :)

Anyway, I cannot wait for Nintendo's next console. Lets get this discussion back on track.

Anyone think the GPU will be based on RV770 with all 800 stream processors ?

Do you intend to cook eggs on your Cafe?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
brochiller said:
They will go well with the coffee it brews.

Add in a super fast quad core, 8GB of RAM and other bits of kit from a performance pc and we can make toast too. The complete breakfast solution from Nintendo.

Man God said:
Add in a super fast quad core, 8GB of RAM and other bits of kit from a performance pc and we can make toast too. The complete breakfast solution from Nintendo.

A toaster?
What a huge downgrade from the Wii's waffle maker...

Woffls

AceBandage said:
A toaster?
What a huge downgrade from the Wii's waffle maker...
Waffles are a system seller for me ;D

I had a stupid idea for Mario if the haptic screen stuff turns out to be real. We rarely change surfaces in Mario, right? So what if a core mechanic of Mario on Café was to manipulate surfaces to get you from A to B? The different surfaces could be represented on the touch screen in some way, I guess?

I'm really clutching at straws with the haptic screen ideas, I think it's pointless dumb idea at the moment, but I'm sure Nintendo would make it worthwhile.

wsippel

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
Well I was hoping Nintendo would have access to TSMC's 28nm process if it's launching in late 2012.
It's supposedly not launching in late 2012, though. If IGN's sources are to be believed, mass production should start in just five months. Also, I doubt TSMC will be in any way involved.

As long as EAD Tokyo can make Super Mario Universe, or whatever, at 1080p 60fps and look almost like Pixar-ish quality (the direction Mario Galaxy had) I'll be fine.

D-Pad

AceBandage said:
As long as they do what they did on the 3DS and allow us to use expandable media to increase storage, I'm fine.
Just sayin'. The cooler with the handle shouldn't be bigger than the ice box with the ice dispenser. :p

Man God said:

Ugh, breakfast is for children and families. Nintendo going for the casual market again.

Man God said:
760 MB of extremely fast RAM. 1GB would be better.

I doubt they'd do some weird thing like 760.
1Gig would be more likely, as they can just use two 512MB slots and decrease production cost.

wsippel said:
It's supposedly not launching in late 2012, though. If IGN's sources are to be believed, mass production should start in just five months. Also, I doubt TSMC will be in any way involved.
Global foundries 32nm process would be my guess.

Doctor_20

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
As long as EAD Tokyo can make Super Mario Universe, or whatever, at 1080p 60fps and look almost like Pixar-ish quality (the direction Mario Galaxy had) I'll be fine.

Totally agree but I hope they take Mario in a new direction on Wii2 rather than make another Galaxy-type.

herzogzwei1989 said:
How much RAM, reasonably, would make everyone happy. 1 gig? 2?
It's hard to decide such a thing about any particular spec when all the others are unknown, too. What might be sufficient for one possible GPU/CPU setup might be a bottleneck for a better GPU/CPU setup.

linko9

While 3rd party ports would be great for Nintendo, and would go a long way towards capturing the current 360/PS3 audience, what I'm really curious to see is if Nintendo will be able to secure any high-profile, big budget 3rd party exclusives. I don't see current single-console 360/PS3 owners buying the Cafe instead of waiting for the PS4/new Xbox simply because they can play the slightly better-looking version of a game they can already play on a system they already own. I'm honestly not convinced that 3rd parties are going to take the risk of putting tons of money towards a single-console release, considering that at least early on, the Cafe's potential to sell 3rd party software will be completely unproven. I know Nintendo's not in the habit of paying 3rd parties large sums (or anything) for exclusives, but it might not be a bad idea to consider buying some exclusives if they're serious about competing with Sony and Microsoft.

On an unrelated note, HD Starfox developed by Treasure, please (and bring back the silly SNES voices while you're at it). I can always dream...

Amir0x

Banned
linko9 said:
While 3rd party ports would be great for Nintendo, and would go a long way towards capturing the current 360/PS3 audience, what I'm really curious to see is if Nintendo will be able to secure any high-profile, big budget 3rd party exclusives. I don't see current single-console 360/PS3 owners buying the Cafe instead of waiting for the PS4/new Xbox simply because they can play the slightly better-looking version of a game they can already play on a system they already own. I'm honestly not convinced that 3rd parties are going to take the risk of putting tons of money towards a single-console release, considering that at least early on, the Cafe's potential to sell 3rd party software will be completely unproven. I know Nintendo's not in the habit of paying 3rd parties large sums (or anything) for exclusives, but it might not be a bad idea to consider buying some exclusives if they're serious about competing with Sony and Microsoft.

On an unrelated note, HD Starfox developed by Treasure, please (and bring back the silly SNES voices while you're at it). I can always dream...

I just don't know what franchise would have an impact that would also be in play. They're not going to get Grand Theft Auto exclusively. They're not going to get Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty exclusively.

What big hardcore franchises should they be gunning for?

herzogzwei1989 said:
How much RAM, reasonably, would make everyone happy. 1 gig? 2?
1GB of GDDR5 on a 128 bit bus with some sort of small dedicated memory pool would be the most sensible suggestion IMO. 2GB would be the absolute maximum they could use if they go with GDDR5 assuming a 128 bit bus as 4Gb memory chips won't be available by October.

Considering such a solution will offer over 3x the bandwidth of the 360 and the dedicated framebuffer memory should be fit able to fit a 720p framebuffer with 2xmsaa then I'd call that a huge upgrade over the 360.

KrawlMan

The Main Event said:
Another direction for Mario Café.

Mario Galaxy 1+2 compilation in 1080p.

*drool*

Maybe I'm alone here, but Mario Galaxy 1&2 were some of the only Wii games that I felt didn't really beg to be done in HD. They stood out as visually impressive games regardless of the platform you were comparing them to. Sure, a higher resolution release would be nice, but I'd rather they put their efforts elsewhere.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
I think Nirolak had a good idea in the other thread of TimeSplitters 4.
It'll never happen, but it would be pretty cool.

Timesplitters isn't even a big franchise though.

Still, I'd love to see it happen

Amir0x said:
Timesplitters isn't even a big franchise though.

Still, I'd love to see it happen

It isn't.
However, it being exclusive at launch would be pretty big.
1. It would satisfy the hardcore gamer wanting a shooter with online.
2. It would be a showcase for a great middleware (CryEngine 3).
3. It would get other third parties interested in the platform.

TS4 would never bring in the numbers of CoD, but it could lay out a groundwork for other games. And it differentiates itself enough to be a unique experience.

wsippel

Banned
brain_stew said:
Global foundries 32nm process would be my guess.
Didn't Globalfoundries cancel 32nm bulk in favor of 28nm last year? Don't think it means much, but they actually mentioned game consoles as one target application last year:

28nm-HP targets high performance and general purpose applications such as graphics, game consoles, storage, consumer electronics, and wired networking.
http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/28nm.aspx

evangd007

Amir0x said:
I just don't know what franchise would have an impact that would also be in play. They're not going to get Grand Theft Auto exclusively. They're not going to get Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty exclusively.

What big hardcore franchises should they be gunning for?

New generations are generally a good time to introduce new franchises, as launch lineups are generally lacking so something new and experimental but perhaps not so polished could stand out. Nintendo could look to secure a Dead Rising-style franchise debut.

Of course, there is also Nirolak's speculation that Timesplitters 4 could be a Cafe showcase now that Free Radical is done with Crysis 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom