• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
evangd007 said:
New generations are generally a good time to introduce new franchises, as launch lineups are generally lacking so something new and experimental but perhaps not so polished could stand out. Nintendo could look to secure a Dead Rising-style franchise debut.

Of course, there is also Nirolak's speculation that Timesplitters 4 could be a Cafe showcase now that Free Radical is done with Crysis 2.

I agree. It would be nice to see Nintendo secure something big.

This just in: Rockstar's AGENT coming exclusively to Stream now, not PS3

or something like that since clearly Agent is never coming to PS3

Neiteio

Metal Gear Solid 5, Resident Evil 6 or Final Fantasy XV could conceivably be announced as Stream "exclusives."

GTAV could conceivably be announced as a limited time exclusive... or simply the definitive edition, being the lead version with superior performance and only-possible-on-Stream functionality.

No idea, though.

No way RE or FF will be exclusive to anything anymore (at least not on consoles).
MGS is possible, but I also doubt that.
It won't be any long established franchise.
It'll be something smaller that Nintendo could promote.
Much like Fatal Frame or MH/DQ in the west.

comedy bomb said:
We'll get No more Heroes 3 exclusive guys.

That's pretty good right?

.....guys?

This is another thing that excites me. The Cafe means a new No More Heroes!

linko9

Amir0x said:
I just don't know what franchise would have an impact that would also be in play. They're not going to get Grand Theft Auto exclusively. They're not going to get Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty exclusively.

What big hardcore franchises should they be gunning for?

Yeah, they're certainly not going to get a huge-name franchise like GTA or CoD. I think they'd do well to partner with a developer like Platinum. Their games don't sell great, but their development philosophy really jives with Nintendo, and they seem to have a good relationship with them. Their games might not be million-sellers, but gaming enthusiasts and the gaming press will take note of high-quality exclusives, and lend Nintendo some "street cred," which I think is more important than most people realize.

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:
Metal Gear Solid 5, Resident Evil 6 or Final Fantasy XV could conceivably be announced as Stream "exclusives."

Yeah it's conceivable the same way Sarah Palin being elected president is "conceivable."

In that it's not conceivable at all and there's literally less than a zero percent chance of it happening, but that is the wet dream of some fanboys so I suppose if you must dream big...

Neiteio said:
GTAV could conceivably be announced as a limited time exclusive... or simply the definitive edition, being the lead version with superior performance and only-possible-on-Stream functionality.

No idea, though.

Sony and Microsoft couldn't even afford the money Rockstar was asking for a timed exclusive. They had to settle for fucking timed exclusive DLC. No way Nintendo will be able to do that where they can't. Nintendo doesn't even have half the relationship with Rockstar that MS and Sony does, and they're not going to go to a bidding war next to MS and Sony. If it came down to money, Rockstar would ask for Sony and Microsoft's offer and they would top it. You're talking buying an exclusive for an excess of $100,000,000.

HYDE

Banned
Neiteio said:

No idea, though.

I don't think Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy would happen; however, Nintendo was able to secure Resident Evil 2 and 4. So I guess 6 is possible if it has Leon.

Amir0x

Banned
HYDE said:
I don't think Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy would happen; however, Nintendo was able to secure Resident Evil 2 and 4, so I guess 6 is possible, only if it has Leon though.

I think at this point there's no chance for RE6. They've already established the multiplatform nature of the franchise with Resident Evil 5 and that was highly profitable for them. Stream will get a version of RE6, but nothing more. Capcom is a very intelligent business when it comes to things like that. They see what works and stick with it. There's no reverting for them. Their "Capcom 5" was a big mistake and they knew it.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
Yeah it's conceivable the same way Sarah Palin being elected president is "conceivable."

In that it's not conceivable at all and there's literally less than a zero percent chance of it happening, but that is the wet dream of some fanboys so I suppose if you must dream big...
Are you calling me a Nintendo fanboy? My favorite system is PS3 for pete's sake... I like games, not companies.

My precedent was the fact those are titles that have historically appeared on one console or the other. For example: MGS4 on PS3. And another: RE4, debutting first and foremost on GameCube.

Sony and Microsoft couldn't even afford the money Rockstar was asking for a timed exclusive. They had to settle for fucking timed exclusive DLC. No way Nintendo will be able to do that where they can't. Nintendo doesn't even have half the relationship with Rockstar that MS and Sony does, and they're not going to go to a bidding war next to MS and Sony. If it came down to money, Rockstar would ask for Sony and Microsoft's offer and they would top it. You're talking buying an exclusive for an excess of $100,000,000.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But we don't know what other variables might be at play. Who knows, maybe the noise it would create would be alluring enough to them. I'm not expecting it -- just saying, maybe.

HYDE said:
I don't think Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy would happen; however, Nintendo was able to secure Resident Evil 2 and 4. So I guess 6 is possible if it has Leon.

They didn't really secure those. They appeared on the PS/PS2.

The secured the REMake though.

HYDE

Banned
Amir0x said:
I think at this point there's no chance for RE6. They've already established the multiplatform nature of the franchise with Resident Evil 5 and that was highly profitable for them. Stream will get a version of RE6, but nothing more.

For sure, I was just being goofy.

Yeah, I don't see any kind of big exclusive like GTA or MGS. It would just not make financial sense for any company not to try and get in on the 360 and PS3 userbase, especially considering how strong software sells on those platforms. And on top of that, it would only be selling to the limited userbase of a console launch. It just would not be worth it for a company to do that.

The only thing to look forward to would be some controller exclusive features, like GPS on the Stream controller in GTA and things along those lines. I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything else.

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:
Are you calling me a Nintendo fanboy? My favorite system is PS3 for pete's sake... I like games, not companies.

No, I'm saying only a fanboy would think it's possible. Stop implicating yourself. You ARE a fanboy, but I was not calling you one now. Let's not derail the thread with more futzing about this crap please.

Neiteio said:
[
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But we don't know what other variables might be at play. Who knows, maybe the noise it would create would be alluring enough to them. I'm not expecting it -- just saying, maybe.

What other variables? There are no other variables but money.

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:
I think at this point there's no chance for RE6. They've already established the multiplatform nature of the franchise with Resident Evil 5 and that was highly profitable for them. Stream will get a version of RE6, but nothing more. Capcom is a very intelligent business when it comes to things like that. They see what works and stick with it. There's no reverting for them. Their "Capcom 5" was a big mistake and they knew it.

Timed exclusive is possible, or maybe extra content that is time exclusive.

If they could get a new Monster Hunter on the console, with PROPER online (similar to a FPS, etc), I think that might be worth looking into. I think MH could do well in the US with an online system that people in the US are used to.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
No, I'm saying only a fanboy would think it's possible. Stop implicating yourself. You ARE a fanboy, but I was not calling you one now. Let's not derail the thread with more futzing about this crap please.
Well, as you have called yourself a fanboy before, I don't take offense to it as having a negative connotation of any sort.

What other variables? There are no other variables but money.
Exactly, but who knows their rationale? If they think that the rabid Nintendo hordes will buy every copy of their game for the novelty of it being the Wii successor's flagship game, and then bring it to the other systems a few months later where it will sell equally well, maybe it would look lucrative to them.

It's unlikely, yes, but not inconceivable. Not necessarily. The safest bet might be a launch on all three systems -- but timed to Stream's launch.

evangd007

Neiteio said:

My precedent was the fact those are titles that have historically appeared on one console or the other. For example: MGS4 on PS3. And another: RE4, debutting first and foremost on GameCube.

The industry has changed a lot in the past decade. Unless the deal offered is incredibly sweet, third parties will release a game on every platform possible. Nothing this generation has remained exclusive: from FF13 to Mass Effect, from MGS to Bioshock.

evangd007 said:
The industry has changed a lot in the past decade. Unless the deal offered is incredibly sweet, third parties will release a game on every platform possible. Nothing this generation has remained exclusive: from FF13 to Mass Effect, from MGS to Bioshock.

Except some Wii games like Mad World and Zack and Wiki, oddly enough.
Bahahaha.

Beth Cyra

Got to say I'm shocked that someone would even suggest FF XV could be even timed exclusive. SE clearly is diggin multi platform with FF, XIII and XIII-2 shows us this, not to mention they wanted XIV on 360 as well.

Same goes with RE5, it's done amazing and 6 will be multi regardless of lead character.

Neiteio

evangd007 said:
This is true. A timed exclusive may be possible, though.

But, it's not like Nintendo really needs these things. Their shows always generate the most noise on the strength of their own games.

If only we had some idea what those games may be...

AceBandage said:
I doubt they'd do some weird thing like 760.
1Gig would be more likely, as they can just use two 512MB slots and decrease production cost.
1GB would require 4 2Gb chips on a 128 bit bus.

768MB would allow the use of a cheaper 96 bit bus and 3 2Gb chips.

Such a solution would still offer 2-3x the bandwidth of the 360 which (IMO) would be enough especially of the on chip memory pool is larger than the 360s.

Actually a 96 bit solution could make a lot of sense in a 6 chip (clamshell) solution giving 1.5GB. It would actually be cheaper than 1GB (and the 360's current memory solution) within a year of launch (as soon as 4Gb chips are available) while delivering a huge increase in memory pool size and bandwidth compared to the current generation.

Neiteio

I don't know much about tech. Have Nintendo systems historically used chips you can buy for your PC, as is? Or are they typically versions modified for Nintendo's system?

brain_stew said:

Such a solution would still offer 2-3x the bandwidth of the 360 which (IMO) would be enough especially of the on chip memory pool is larger than the 360s.

Actually a 96 bit solution could make a lot of sense in a 6 chip (clamshell) solution giving 1.5GB. It would actually be cheaper than 1GB (and the 360's current memory solution) within a year of launch (as soon as 4Gb chips are available) while delivering a huge increase in memory pool size and bandwidth compared to the current generation.

96-bit bus, really? OMG ....

Neiteio said:
I don't know much about tech. Have Nintendo systems historically used chips you can buy for your PC, as is? Or are they typically versions modified for Nintendo's system?

They're always modified in some way. Same as all the consoles.
They're built on existing hardware, though.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
They're always modified in some way. Same as all the consoles.
They're built on existing hardware, though.
I'm not sure I follow. You mean they're modified, and by "existing hardware" you mean the modifications are custom versions of things you can buy yourself for the PC, correct?

I was just curious about this because in us guessing what parts Nintendo will use, we're more guessing what parts Nintendo may use as a foundation, which means the performance of any given part could be better or worse, depending on how Nintendo tweaks it.

Meaning, none of us will likely guess right. :-\

guek

Banned
If nintendo is going to secure some sort of moderately impressive exclusive, it'll likely be from capcom. They've got a pretty solid relationship with the company. RE6 as an exclusive is extremely unlikely though. Maybe monster hunter? But if there's a MH announcement, it'll almost certainly be for 3DS or NGP.

NMH3 is also a possibility, but I kind of doubt Suda51 would be one of the first people to get a dev kit. There's also the offhand chance that ubisoft will be making a red steel 3.

$100,000,000 is a fraction of the money they made selling Wii Fit Plus. IF it guaranteed huge sales to the market they're after, they could go down that road. Not sure about GTA's system selling power these days though, could be there if you take the delays out of the equation.

Neiteio said:
I'm not sure I follow. You mean they're modified, and by "existing hardware" you mean the modifications are custom versions of things you can buy yourself for the PC, correct?

I was just curious about this because in us guessing what parts Nintendo will use, we're more guessing what parts Nintendo may use as a foundation, which means the performance of any given part could be better or worse, depending on how Nintendo tweaks it.

Meaning, none of us will likely guess right. :-\

Well, of course. No one here can guess EXACTLY what the Cafe will contain or how it will perform.
We can, however, guess about what kind of architecture it will use, which will give us a really good idea on how it could perform.
Like, say, if we know for sure (we don't) that it uses a modified 4770, then we can get theoretical benchmarks for games that are out on the PS3/360.
We did the same thing with the 3DS, and we came pretty close to what the final product had.

Graphics Horse said:
$100,000,000 is a fraction of the money they made selling Wii Fit Plus. IF it guaranteed huge sales to the market they're after, they could go down that road. Not sure about GTA's system selling power these days though, could be there if you take the delays out of the equation.

Even if 100 million is a drop in the bucket for Nintendo, that's still a lot to spend on a timed exclusive, regardless of how it will sell your console.
They could get the same results by releasing a Mario Kart and a Smash Brothers at launch, and spend less than half that.

Neiteio

Is there a reason why Capcom wouldn't also want Monster Hunter to go multi-plat? I was under the impression it was one of their more successful franchises. Seems like something that could also sell on PS3 and 360, no?
Or PC.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Neiteio said:
Nintendo have never used modern PC tech, if the rumours are true then the Wii 2 will be their first machine to do so.

Neiteio said:
Is there a reason why Capcom wouldn't also want Monster Hunter to go multi-plat? I was under the impression it was one of their more successful franchises. Seems like something that could also sell on PS3 and 360, no?
Or PC.
Does anyone know how well Monster Hunter sells in the West? I'm guessing it's not enough to warrant Capcom making a HD version.

Neiteio said:
Or PC.

The social aspect of the game. Same reason why we'll likely never see a console exclusive Pokemon mainline game.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
Well, of course. No one here can guess EXACTLY what the Cafe will contain or how it will perform.
We can, however, guess about what kind of architecture it will use, which will give us a really good idea on how it could perform.
Like, say, if we know for sure (we don't) that it uses a modified 4770, then we can get theoretical benchmarks for games that are out on the PS3/360.
We did the same thing with the 3DS, and we came pretty close to what the final product had.
Ah, I see. Thanks. :)

Even if 100 million is a drop in the bucket for Nintendo, that's still a lot to spend on a timed exclusive, regardless of how it will sell your console.
They could get the same results by releasing a Mario Kart and a Smash Brothers at launch, and spend less than half that.
Good point, but I suspect this person meant results as in mindshare, I.E. getting the same people who shell out for games on PS3 and 360 to shell out on Stream. Mario Kart and Smash Bros. would sell systems, but it wouldn't convert anyone who hadn't been onboard with Nintendo already. Maybe they're thinking the system's first impression is its strongest, so having something the PS3/360 crowd truly covets is important to them. Again, who knows? Me personally, it's just most interesting from a GAF meltdown standpoint. ;)

It's also conceivable Reggie may go into Rockstar's offices brandishing a steel-toed boot and hold the Houser Bros' names ransom.

Well, Nintendo is a business, and a pretty smartly run one at that.
If they thought that they could make more money by securing a GTA game for a little while, they'd do it in a heart beat.
However, I don't think they can. Yes, it would be good for the mindshare with gamers, but then there's the chance of a backlash with other third parties who now expect Nintendo to moneyhat them as well, or they get nothing.

guek

Banned
Neiteio said:
Or PC.

Because capcom is really really lazy when it comes to monster hunter. The reason they went with the wii for MH:Tri instead of the PS3 was because they figured it would be too much work for them to recreate the game with HD textures and better animation.

That's kind of why I think it's MH is more likely to show up on the 3DS than the NGP, because capcom knows they can repackage a lot of whats in previous MH games onto the 3DS with minimal effort and make a killing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In terms of securing exclusives I cant see it being anything more than an IP that isn't one of the 'bigger' IPs (eg: TimeSplitters), or funding development of a new IP all together.

When it comes to established IPs publishers are well aware that there's far more money to be made going multiplatform. Not only that, but with the kind of budgets that are being thrown around they basically need to spread their games across as many platforms as possible.

For Nintendo to secure exclusive rights to GTA, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, or any of those other huge IPs they'd have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars. A crazy amount of money they'd be out of they mind to throw at the wall like that.

Pushing funding for a relatively low key IP that might not be able to find funding elsewhere (again eg: TimeSplitters) or funding new IPs would be much more affordable.

It's not about getting the same results as selling Mario Kart, they've already got that covered. They could survive on in house games alone, but it's clear they're after more than that.
Personally I'd like to see new IPs too, not sure if that ends up cheaper or not.

Neiteio

AceBandage said:
Well, Nintendo is a business, and a pretty smartly run one at that.
If they thought that they could make more money by securing a GTA game for a little while, they'd do it in a heart beat.
However, I don't think they can. Yes, it would be good for the mindshare with gamers, but then there's the chance of a backlash with other third parties who now expect Nintendo to moneyhat them as well, or they get nothing.
Guess in that case it'd come to a gamble: the danger of the money-hatting slippery slope vs. boosting the console to such mindshare/sales that third parties feel they can't afford to not be on the system. Nintendo is rather conservative, though, so they'd probably stick to what works, i.e. their own IPs.

Really, if they want to recapture the hardcore AND the Nintendo fan, make another F-ZEROOOOOOOO (with that many 'o's to underscore how advanced it is).

dwu8991

Banned
It's a shame the power of the wii was never fully harnessed like the gamecube was.
Can't wait for E3, 30 days and counting.

Mr_Brit

Banned
dwu8991 said:
It's a shame the power of the wii was never fully harnessed like the gamecube was.
Can't wait for E3, 30 days and counting.
Huh? Mario Galaxy looked far better than anything on GC, I was shocked that they were able to pull off such a game on the Wii.

wsippel

Banned
brain_stew said:

If they use a POWER7 or A2 derived design (a big if, of course), you don't think they'd want to keep the quad channel memory controller?

Neiteio

Mr_Brit said:
Huh? Mario Galaxy looked far better than anything on GC, I was shocked that they were able to pull off such a game on the Wii.
The Galaxy games are also the only Wii games that look decent on an HDTV even without component cables. I'm thankful one of the Wii's better games is at least future-proofed somewhat in that regard. I hate the fact that the Wii's few truly standout titles are, by and large, doomed to the fuzzy grain of obsolete TV technology.

If they are serious about getting third parties onboard then they just need two things:
1. A system that can run whatever engines third parties are using.
2. An online that works.

That will secure them pretty much every multiplatform. As far as exclusives go, Nintendo can work from there based on history and good faith.
Promise to help promote games or partially fund them (like with Fatal Frame, MH and DQ).

From the rumors we've heard so far, it seems they are indeed doing this. We'll see at E3.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
If they are serious about getting third parties onboard then they just need two things:
2. An online that works.

That will secure them pretty much every multiplatform. As far as exclusives go, Nintendo can work from there based on history and good faith.
Promise to help promote games or partially fund them (like with Fatal Frame, MH and DQ).

From the rumors we've heard so far, it seems they are indeed doing this. We'll see at E3.
What rumours have said that Nintendo are using a non embarrasing online infrastructure? After the 3DS launched in the state it did, it finally convinced me that Nintendo are utterly ignorant and incompetent when it comes to online, they're unable to change when it comes to this part of their business. Anyone expecting anything more than slightly better than the 3DS is setting themselves up for a massive dissapointment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:
2. An online that works.

1. is a given if the hardware is on the same level as the 360 and PS3, which and will be, and is even futher validated if the hardware is notably ahead, which it hopefully will be. 2. is up in the air.

Securing some exclusives would be valuable though. Simply being a fourth HD port machine wont be enough to make average dudebro pack up and jump on the Nintendo wagon. I hope Nintendo realise this. They'll get the games if the hardware is there, but it wont necessarily sell the system.

They need to get some exclusives to sell the platform as offering some cool shit, and by exclusives I mean more than the usual Nintendo stuff. The latter audiance will be there regardless.

Mr_Brit said:
What rumours have said that Nintendo are using a non embarrasing online infrastructure? Anyone expecting anything more than slightly better than the 3DS is setting themselves up for a massive dissapointment. After the 3DS launched in the state it did, it finally convinced me that Nintendo are utterly ignorant and incompetent when it comes to online, they're unable to change when it comes to this part of their business.

According to 1Up, it's going to be pretty awesome.

And this is backed up by Iwata saying they know they fucked up with the Wii and DS and are going to be working with outside companies to work on their online. The 3DS might be bare bones right now, but it's fully upgradable.

herzogzwei1989 said:
96-bit bus, really? OMG ....
What's so bad about that? With modern GDDR5 you're still going to get nearly 3x the bandwidth of the 360 and couple that to a larger on chip solution and memory bandwidth really isn't going to be an issue at all.

If it means an extra 512MB of GDDR5 then why the hell not. It'd be the right sort of compromise IMO. It'll mean lower production costs over the life of the system yet a much more future proofed system with a much better chance of supporting PS4 ports.

wsippel

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
What rumours have said that Nintendo are using a non embarrasing online infrastructure? After the 3DS launched in the state it did, it finally convinced me that Nintendo are utterly ignorant and incompetent when it comes to online, they're unable to change when it comes to this part of their business. Anyone expecting anything more than slightly better than the 3DS is setting themselves up for a massive dissapointment.
3DS online was still Nintendo. Café supposedly uses a different online system developed with or by a partner. Also, Sam Kennedy claims to have heard... encouraging things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom