• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

mj1108 said:
If it's actually playable in their booth in some form, I expect to see Youtube videos of the lines with wait times hitting several hours.

and the only way you're not going to be stuck in some hypothetical 3+ hour line is if you start camping out in front of the hall at 9 or earlier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And now the question (well, one of many) comes down to the supposed R700 GPU and how powerful it's going to be.

Because, well, the R700 line is varied. Really fucking varied. On one end you've got a 4550, and on the other you've got the 4890. The difference in performance is huge. The latter will hit 30+fps on Crysis maxed out at 1900x1200 with 4xAA, while the former wont get over an abysmal 6fps at 1280x800.

Obviously Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to go with the former option, but it just goes to show how insanely varied the R700 line is. The Cafe's performance could fall anywhere on this spectrum; from a so-so 360/PS3 to absolutely killing it.

Medalion

Banned
EatChildren said:
And now the question (well, one of many) comes down to the supposed R700 GPU and how powerful it's going to be.

Because, well, the R700 line is varied. Really fucking varied. On one end you've got a 4550, and on the other you've got the 4890. The difference in performance is huge. The latter will hit 30+fps on Crysis maxed out at 1900x1200 with 4xAA, while the former wont get over an abysmal 6fps at 1280x800.

Obviously Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to go with the former option, but it just goes to show how insanely varied the R700 line is. The Cafe's performance could fall anywhere on this spectrum; from a so-so 360/PS3 to absolutely killing it.
We shouldn't measure this in term of hard specs based on computers... it could be all custom-designed and have better performance in some respects, and cuts back on others

watershed

Banned
AniHawk said:
and the only way you're not going to be stuck in some hypothetical 3+ hour line is if you start camping out in front of the hall at 9 or earlier.

My god I just realized, the lines at E3 will be incredible. And now we have a new nerd stampede video to look forward to!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Medalion said:
We shouldn't measure this in term of hard specs based on computers... it could be all custom-designed and have better performance in some respects, and cuts back on others

Oh, it will be, I'm just pointing out how widely varied the R700 line is. Even with modifications it will still be based on one of the R700s.

Log4Girlz

EatChildren said:

And there you go jinxing shit.

watershed

Banned
BrokenEchelon said:
A June release for a home console?

What the fuck.

Did you look at the new thread on Nintendo's new fiscal report? The sooner they can get this thing out with a solid launch line up the better.

KevinCow

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
I hope they confirm Skyward Sword HD tomorrow...they might mention it alongside talk of Wii 2's backwards compatibility: "btw, Skyward Sword will have 2 editions..."

It doesn't even need two editions, really. Just release it as a Wii game, but tell me that if I play it on my Cafe, it's rendered in HD.

bananas said:
Well, for the 3DS at least, it seems like they aren't doing a very good job of it.

The 3DS has been out for like a month. Are we already declaring it doomed?

Medalion

Banned
EvilDick34 said:
I'm going to assume that no matter how this kindle like remote turns out, it is going to have a charging crade like the 3ds.
You mean the charging cradle that is not necessary and can be just as easily charged with the AC adaptor?

JonCha

Would have liked it to come out this year. I'm not sure how much of an impact this will make, especially if Sony and Microsoft are planning new consoles around 2013.

Also, isn't Nintendo going to be behind the curve again? When Sony and Micro bring out new consoles they are more than likely going to be a step up.

Oh, and more thing: sort out the online this time. Really, it's terrible.

Kinda been ignoring this Wii successor business since info was leaked like 1-2 weeks ago, but now I'm beginning to regain some interest

E3 2011 can't come soon enough

JCRedeems

Banned
Why do people on here continue to assume the success of N6 is dependent on hardware power when the Wii is en route to sell over 100 million? The mass market cares about "gimmicks" or novel game experiences and simplicity at an affordable price. If N6 doesn't offer it but instead just more powerful hardware/shiner graphics then its GC all over again.

bananas

Banned
KevinCow said:
The 3DS has been out for like a month. Are we already declaring it doomed?

I'm not talking about sales. I've already stated that I think the 3DS will do fine. Fantastic even. I was replying to someone saying that they thought Nintendo was trying not to rely on the success of the DS with the 3DS.

AniHawk

artwalknoon said:
My god I just realized, the lines at E3 will be incredible. And now we have a new nerd stampede video to look forward to!

i don't think we'll see people breaking into a full-out sprint this time. they kinda made sure people didn't do that last year when the 3ds happened.

Dark Schala said:
Check out their fiscal results in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428390

June is probably a good decision for them. Kids'll be getting out of school as well... they're most likely going to want this as a "good grades" gift or something.

I don't doubt they'll make money, but if this seriously ends up releasing in the middle of the year, it'll shake up the entire gaming cycle that's been around for over a decade now. It's just crazy to think about.

Not to mention that there could be a second E3 about the console right before the system's launch if this ends up being the case.

Medalion said:
You mean the charging cradle that is not necessary and can be just as easily charged with the AC adaptor?

I much prefer the charging cradle because the 3ds has somewhere to sit safely without it getting knocked around or what not. If this remote has a 6inch screen, you are going to to want to put it somewhere safely when it is not in use as to not cause damage to the screen. Like right now my ps3 controller is sitting on my pc desk, in my bedroom. No where to be safely stashed until my next gaming turn on the ps3.

Broman1978

IF Nintendo launch the new console with an Online-service that rivals Xbox 360 (yeah I know but who knows?) for instance, I think Microsoft and Sony should be just a bit worry. Imagine Battlefield 3 annonced for the new console this E3 with graphics on par with what we have seen so far from the PC version..
Things should be interesting this E3 :)

bananas

Banned
AniHawk said:
i don't think we'll see people breaking into a full-out sprint this time. they kinda made sure people didn't do that last year when the 3ds happened.

They brought the ladies devices to us.

JonCha said:
Would have liked it to come out this year. I'm not sure how much of an impact this will make, especially if Sony and Microsoft are planning new consoles around 2013.

Also, isn't Nintendo going to be behind the curve again? When Sony and Micro bring out new consoles they are more than likely going to be a step up.

It's been said hundreds of times already, but MS launched a year before their competitors and look where they landed. Cross-platform games are developed to 360 standards, not to the (slightly higher) PS3 ones.

EatChildren said:

My guess is that the R700 based card is in early dev-kits, but they will eventually provide a different solution based on a more modern architecture from AMD.

BELIEVE.

v1oz

JonCha said:

Sony and Microsoft are planning for June at the earliest. They want the current consoles to last a ten year cycle for financial reasons.

v1oz said:
Sony and Microsoft are planning for June at the earliest. They want the current consoles to last a ten year cycle for financial reasons.

And this is where Nintendo is trying to make all of this pay off. Yes the Wii is dying quickly, but i am sure that Iwata and Nintendo planned it this way. Skimp on development of the Wii and make boat loads off cash off it and turn around and introduce a much beefier system well before MS and Sony, unless they now launch new consoles much earlier.

Diebuster

I'm still very skeptical about the controllers, but I can't help getting excited about a new console. E3 is only a little over a month away, but it's going to be a long wait.

v1oz

ThoseDeafMutes said:
My guess is that the R700 based card is in early dev-kits, but they will eventually provide a different solution based on a more modern architecture from AMD.

BELIEVE.
You know that's a good theory. Like how early xbox360 dev kits were based on over clocked G5 Power Macs. I dunno why Nintendo wouldn't use a completely custom GPU like Flipper was.

bananas

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
It's been said hundreds of times already, but MS launched a year before their competitors and look where they landed. Cross-platform games are developed to 360 standards, not to the (slightly higher) PS3 ones.

That has nothing to do with the head start, it has to do with the huge sale discrepancy between the 360 and PS3 in America. You can argue that it was the head start that helped the 360 gain that lead, but it's not solely because of that. Ask Sega how they feel about head starts.

Medalion

Banned
GABDEG said:
So the mention of 1080p res is also fake? :(
THis is Nintendo we're talking about, they want everything just a wee bit different than everybody else... it willl be some weird custom resolution like 756p or 1064i or something.

Instro

EatChildren said:

Well the 4550 isnt gaming grade gpu I believe. The range would probably be like 4730-4890, assuming the r700 line is actually being used in the console. Since its a custom edition it would probably end up in the upper bracket anyway.

onken said:

I believe its only the french site that reported it being a "notch" above current hardware, where as others like IGN have repeatedly said the difference is significant. All sites have reported it using the r700 series, which would fall in line with it being well above current hardware rather than being equal or only slightly better.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

Not saying which is more legit, but theres certainly no consensus towards it being only as powerful as the 360 or w.e.

antonz

System power is all in the eye of the beholder. a 4770 to some developers would be a relatively minor/poor upgrade while to people grounded in reality it would be a very nice upgrade.

If a developer goes in expecting a 15x performance boost and only get a 4-5x boost they are probably gonna be disappointed

bananas

Banned
Metallix said:
There's a lot of reasons why Sega had problems, the least of which was the head starts they had with Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

True, but I was just providing an example counterpoint to Lupin the Wolf's point.

If you really think about it, there is no real correlation you can link to anything to predict the future. Because there always seems to be an example of the opposite.

Medalion

Banned
antonz said:
System power is all in the eye of the beholder. a 4770 to some developers would be a relatively minor/poor upgrade while to people grounded in reality it would be a very nice upgrade.

If a developer goes in expecting a 15x performance boost and only get a 4-5x boost they are probably gonna be disappointed
That's how some on GAF see it. Awww only slightly better than 360 or PS3? Why not 3 duct-taped 360s?

EatChildren

Instro said:
Well the 4550 isnt gaming grade gpu I believe. The range would probably be like 4730-4890, assuming the r700 line is actually being used in the console. Since its a custom edition it would probably end up in the upper bracket anyway.

Totally. The 4550 would be crazy, but it was just an example to show the wide spectrum of power that can be found in the R700 line. I'm positive Nintendo's GPU will be a custom R700, but it's hard to say where on the spectrum it would flal.

Something in line with the 4890 would be a significant improvement over both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. That's Crysis maxed out at 1080p averaging ~30fps with 4xAA, going by PC standards, and would obviously be able to push even more with properly optimised code. I'm not sure Nintendo would go down that path.

You've got 01net reporting that it's 'just a notch' about the 360, while IGN are stating it's significantly more powerful than the PS3. Developers have different standards of graphical hardware. Factor in stupidity / lazy ports, and you're bound to get a mix of amazing looking games that make the hardware look fantastic, and shitty ports that look terrible. Factor in the fact devkits are rarely an accurate guage of the final specs, and who knows what the Cafe will pimp under it's hood.

For Nintendo's sake I hope it's at the higher end of the spectrum with a good amount of RAM. 2GB, please. Future protect your system somewhat, and dont go and do something stupid like stick 512MB of RAM in there.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So this is fake then?

image.php

And where does everyone get the June release from?

EatChildren said:

Someone on the other thread suggested it will probably be a 4770 type part. After researching it, I'm inclined to agree. It was a late cycle R700 value chip. By using GDDR-5 and a higher core frequency it came very close to a 4850. Which was only one notch down from the top dog 4870 when R700 launched. They might skimp in other ways, like only giving it a total of about 1GB of ram, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to save $20 on the GPU and get less than 1/2 the performance. I think part of their strategy is to capture some of the "hardcore" market from PS3/X360 owners, and that will only happen if it's substantially better than what they currently offer.

KevinCow

Banned
JonCha said:

How much more powerful can MS and Sony make their consoles without making them $400-500+ again? I think that's what Nintendo's counting on. Three scenarios:

1) MS and/or Sony rush out their next consoles in 2013, and in order to keep them at a reasonable price, they're comparable in power to Cafe. Even if they're a bit more powerful due to not having all the extra controller screens and extra Cafe stuff or whatever, Nintendo's not at too much of a graphical disadvantage, and they have the benefit of year long head start.

2) MS and/or Sony rush out their next consoles in 2013, and they're far more powerful than Cafe, but cost far more than Cafe because of this. Cafe sits at a price advantage, while the high prices really hurt MS and Sony like they did earlier this gen. Eventually, we may wind up with another Wii vs. PS360 situation, but the first few years would be Nintendo's. And even if this does happen, I don't think the gap will be nearly as big as the Wii/PS360 gap.

3) MS and/or Sony don't rush into next-gen, and instead wait a few years until they can release a new console that is both far more powerful than their current ones and priced reasonably. Nintendo gets several years as the only next-gen console.

I don't think Nintendo would really be unhappy with any of these results. It seems like it'll be a harder choice for Sony and MS to decide which route to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom