• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Jocchan said:
AMD also uses the term "R700 family" for the whole 4xxx line.
Two GPUs, though, as expensive as they may be, would make an awful lot of sense for the Café.
It really wouldn't make sense. You can deliver the performance of a R700 with a single GPU these days (easily), and that will always be cheaper than 2 of them.

Anyway, it's Nintendo. Anyone expecting more than a single RV770 at the very best is deluding themselves.

Tarin02543

damn i can't stop thinking about this.

What if all Café games are developed with 30 fps, perhaps the singleplayer will always be 60 fps minimum?

This is so interesting!

Raide

Tarin02543 said:
damn i can't stop thinking about this.

What if all Café games are developed with 30 fps, perhaps the singleplayer will always be 60 fps minimum?

This is so interesting!

I don't think 60fps will help Wii Music HD.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
1 GB is probably expecting way too much. 512 at best, imo. If, and it's a BIG if, Nintendo decides to add more RAM beyond that, the additional memory would probably go to the OS or some non-game related shit.

Anyway, it's Nintendo. Anyone expecting more than a single RV770 at the very best is deluding themselves.

Apart from the wii, they have never skimped on their home consoles in the past. It doesn't have to set a new trend. Their hand was forced due to the failure of the gamecube to establish market share. But now they're back at the top and can play with hardware again.

Their handhleds were always underpowered. Gameboy vs gamegear/nomad etc so nothing to talk about there.

Snes stood up to the 16 bit wars, nintendo 64 gave the 32bit generation a run for it's money, and the gamecube was very powerful considering it's form factor, far more beefy than the ps2 and almost standing toe to toe with the xbox1...only let down by it's 1.2gb mini discs.

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Kind of like the Nvidia GPU in the Xbox1 , which had Geforce 2 performance, but had Geforce 3 effects bolted on.

I think it had a Geforce 3 with extra vertex shading.

It seems to be fairly certain Wii 2's GPU will be based on 2008 era tech, while next gen PS and Xbox will have at least something comparable to today's best DX11 tech, possibly something based on next year's state of the art designs. So Wii 2 will be pretty weak compared to the competition, but it's a huge jump from Wii and substantially more powerful than current generation. They are probably hoping to give it just enough power to handle ports of next gen's 3rd party games, albeit at lower settings compared to PS4/X720. Even if in the future, they have to drop to 720p for some titles, Wii 2's games should look far superior to today's 720p console games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Igor Antunov said:
Clocking up a power pc cpu design is easy and relatively trouble free, it's a simplistic architecture. xbox360's cores ran at 3.2ghz in 2005. This would have to be significantly faster unless they wanted it to underperform and cripple their system. A doubling is not out of the question.
Clock and number of cores aren't even remotely enough to describe a CPU. This misconception is probably behind the "CPU like the Xbox360 but clocked higher" rumor to mean just a more powerful CPU in general. You can't just clock up any CPU and call it a day, unless you're in love with heat.

Jocchan said:
Clock and number of cores aren't even remotely enough to describe a CPU. This misconception is probably behind the "CPU like the Xbox360 but clocked higher" rumor to mean just a more powerful CPU in general. You can't just clock up any CPU and call it a day, unless you're in love with heat.

If they shrink the die then it can be throttled up with no additional heat production.

Granted the architecture will be different since the xbox360 design just won't cut it. If they just doubled clockspeed then it would be no different than when they reused the gamecube cpu in the wii.

Oblivion said:
1 GB is probably expecting way too much. 512 at best, imo. If, and it's a BIG if, Nintendo decides to add more RAM beyond that, the additional memory would probably go to the OS or some non-game related shit.

Yeah but current generation has 512mb, and Wii 2 will have a much better GPU which will need more memory to make use of its extra bandwidth and flops. I'm pretty confident 1GB is about the minimum total ram it will need.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Oblivion said:
PS3 and 360 are most bottlenecked by their RAM. If rumours are correct, this thing is going to be a significant power upgrade over them, and it's also going to be tasked with the multi screen streaming thing.
512 MB would be insanity. Forget releasing an underpowered console, developers would barely be able to use the capabilities the machine did have.

1 GB is a more realistic expectation.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
amar212 said:
Ok, wait a minute.

Next-gen?

Or This-gen?

Consensus please.

According to the OP and some unknown developer quote : " wii 2 is similar/slightly above 360 " or something along those lines.

But if the whole streaming 4 different games/movies/stuff to 4 controllers turns out to be true then I'm in the next-gen camp.

Death Dealer said:
Yeah but current generation has 512mb, and Wii 2 will have a much better GPU which will need more memory to make use of its extra bandwidth and flops. I'm pretty confident 1GB is about the minimum it will need.

Indeed. 1Gb minimum of unified memory. But that to me is a little modest. I will hazard a guess and say 2-3gb is very likely.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Death Dealer said:
Yeah but current generation has 512mb, and Wii 2 will have a much better GPU which will need more memory to make use of its extra bandwidth and flops. I'm pretty confident 1GB is about the minimum it will need.
What the console needs and what Nintendo are willing to put in are two completely unrelated numbers, you might think it needs 1GB of GDDR5 whilst Nintendo may be willing to only put in 512mb.

Igor Antunov said:
Indeed. 1Gb minimum of unified memory. But that to me is a little modest. I will hazard a guess and say 2-3gb is very likely.
1GB is what it would need to be non crippled, wishing for more than that from Nintendo(especially with their history) is setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Durante said:
It really wouldn't make sense. You can deliver the performance of a R700 with a single GPU these days (easily), and that will always be cheaper than 2 of them.

If June 2012 release is true. I'd say 4870x2 kind of performance could be possible due to 28nm technology. I'd assume Nintendo waiting for 28nm ready for Cafe.

Foffy

Banned
amar212 said:
Ok, wait a minute.

Next-gen?

Or This-gen?

Consensus please.

Next-gen, I guess. Though technically we're already in that next-generation bump with the 3DS. The 3DS, NGP, and Project Cafe are all 8th generation video game platforms.

Mr_Brit

Banned
wonderfuldays said:
If June 2012 release is true. I'd say 4870x2 kind of performance could be possible due to 28nm technology. I'd assume Nintendo waiting for 28nm ready for Cafe.
4870x2 is around GTX 480/570 power levels, you'd have to be certifiably insane to believe that Nintendo would put that in a ~$350 2012 console.

Majine

Banned
Foffy said:
Next-gen, I guess. Though technically we're already in that next-generation bump with the 3DS. The 3DS, NGP, and Project Cafe are all 8th generation video game platforms.
Thank you. Finally someone who agrees with me. We've been in "Next gen" since February.

Mr_Brit said:
What the console needs and what Nintendo are willing to put in are two completely unrelated numbers, you might think it needs 1GB of GDDR5 whilst Nintendo may be willing to only put in 512mb.

1GB is what it would need to be non crippled, wishing for more than that from Nintendo(especially with their history) is setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Thats a silly assumption. You're basing all this on an anomaly that was the wii and that anomlay only exists because the powerful for it's time gamecube failed in terms of marketshare.

But now nintendo has a fresh start once again as market leader, and 512 would be downright ridiculous, unless they wish to also go with a 2006 gpu and cpu, in short another wii, and I doubt it.

Jocchan said:

Yeah, clock speeds for the next gen console CPU's wont be significantly faster than the current 3.2Ghz...maybe around the 4Ghz level, but the number of cores and Cache levels will increase dramatically.

a 8-12 core CPU with loads of Cache memory (which will be the norm by 2013) clocked in the 4Ghz range, would give monstrous performance gains over the CPU's in the 360 and PS3, for a not very big increase in actual clock speed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
C'mon 01net...some details on shader configuration and clockspeeds would be welcome :)

Nice to see things moving along though. Their mockup is weird though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Durante said:

I'm not expecting them to do it, I'm perfectly aware they probably won't (cost, heat, board complexity, you name it). I just said it would make a lot of sense for a system always outputting to two screens at the same time (if you consider all the controller screens as portions of a bigger one split in four). It's quite different.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
Thats a silly assumption. You're basing all this on an anomaly that was the wii and that anomlay only exists because the powerful for it's time gamecube failed in terms of marketshare.

But now nintendo has a fresh start once again as market leader, and 512 would be downright ridiculous, unless they wish to also go with a 2006 gpu and cpu, in short another wii, and I doubt it.
I meant that wishing for more than 1GB is crazy. The 3DS is also shipping in 2011 with 128mb of memory which is patheticly low as well so don't act as if the Wii was an outlier when their last three systems have been vastly below the market average.

Mr_Brit said:

Considering current generation consoles have 512mb and have ran into memory issues as time went by, I really can't see Nintendo crippling their next gen system with only 512mb of ram. It would be penny wise and pound foolish. Now it may very well only have 512mb of vram, but 512mb total is highly unlikely. So remote that I'd bet a large amount of money against it.

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Yeah, clock speeds for the next gen console CPU's wont be significantly faster than the current 3.2Ghz...maybe around the 4Ghz level, but the number of cores and Cache levels will increase dramatically.

a 8-12 core CPU with loads of Cache memory (which will be the norm by 2013) clocked in the 4Ghz range, would give monstrous performance gains over the CPU's in the 360 and PS3, for a not very big increase in actual clock speed.

Problem is, rumours state that it is a triple core cpu.

Sipowicz

Banned
i think the screen thing sounds really good. the ability for four swords-esque gameplay, the ability to do what youw ant while everyone else is doing what they want

it sounds like they're done with motion control as well. they're leaving microsoft and sony to catch up, which is fair as i think there isn't much more you can do

Mr_Brit

Banned
Death Dealer said:
Considering current generation consoles have 512mb and have ran into memory issues as time went by, I really can't see Nintendo crippling their next gen system with only 512mb of ram. It would be penny wise and pound foolish. Now it may very well only have 512mb of vram, but 512mb total is highly unlikely. So remote that I'd bet a large amount of money against it.
512mb is a lot more likely than it having more than 1GB of memory like some are saying.

Igor Antunov said:
Problem is, rumours state that it is a triple core cpu.
Pretty sure he's talking about the next consoles from Sony and MS.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
Nintendo hasn't crippled one of their machines since N64.

Michan said:
I'm just praying that Nintendo announces Four Swords Adventures 2 for it.
Yes please.

Mr_Brit said:
I meant that wishing for more than 1GB is crazy. The 3DS is also shipping in 2011 with 128mb of memory which is patheticly low as well so don't act as if the Wii was an outlier when their last three systems have been vastly below the market average.

Their handhelds were never technically cutting edge, no hints to draw from there. Yet the 3DS is a considerable step up.

As for your other claim, where are you getting that from?

Are you suggesting that the gamecube/n64 and snes were 'vastly below average?' What are you smoking?

The snes pounded the genesis in the ass, the n64 led the generation in terms of cpu and gpu power (despite the texture limiting issue which was resolved by some clever devs), and the gamecube only felt short of the monstrous pc-console xbox which sported a state of the art geforce 3 for the time.

Igor Antunov said:
Tricore power pc cpu clocked @ 5ghz per core

1gb video gddr5 + 2gb ddr3. total = 3gb ram

4890 equivalent gpu.

1 Terabyte harddrive

Holographic disc drive with backwards compatibility for dvd. Maximum capacity of 1st generation holographic discs = 100gb.

BELIEVE

If this thing can stream 800x500 to 4 different screens at once....it could then pull off 3200x2000, right?
Be careful. If you wank that hard, you could rip your dick off by accident...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr_Brit said:

Do you really think Nintendo is going to release a crippled system heavily bottlenecked by RAM to save money, instead of putting out a slightly weaker but more balanced one at the same cost?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
Their handhelds were never technically cutting edge, no hints to draw from there. Yet the 3DS is a considerable step up.

As for your other claim, where are you getting that from?

Are you suggesting that the gamecube/n64 and snes were 'vastly below average?' What are you smoking?

The snes pounded the genesis in the ass, the n64 led the generation in terms of cpu and gpu power, and the gamecube only felt short of the monstrous pc-console xbox which sported a state of the art geforce 3 for the time.
Huh? I'm clearly talking about DS,Wii and 3DS. That aside, both Sony and Nintendo have switched their position on hardware this last generation so it'd be foolish to use their previous systems to try and predict what they'll do. Sony are now after power and Nintendo make low powered, cheap,profitable systems from day 1.

Mr_Brit said:
4870x2 is around GTX 480/570 power levels, you'd have to be certifiably insane to believe that Nintendo would put that in a ~$350 2012 console.

That's why they will waiting for 28nm to reduce power consumption. And I mean performance level not power level. With embedded memory on the customize chip, the architecture will be advance compare to PC market graphic card as always. Just wild guess, we will see. :D

Mr_Brit said:
512mb is a lot more likely than it having more than 1GB of memory like some are saying.

I would take that bet in a heartbeat. I'd say odds of it having only 512mb of total ram (same as this generation) is like 1 in 100.

Odds it will have around 1GB is probably 50/50. I'd say 90% chance of it having between 1-1.5GB total. Maybe 10% it will have up to 2GB.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Krev said:
Nintendo hasn't crippled one of their machines since N64.

GCN wasn't without it's fair share of complaints, regardless of how wonderfully efficient it was. The TEV made getting shaders and the like more difficult than they probably should have been, and I'm pretty sure devs wanted more RAM in there too (at least, Factor 5 did).

512MB would be crazy. The 3DS had 128MB, more than expected, so I can only assume Nintendo know what they're doing with the Cafe.

Mr_Brit

Banned
wonderfuldays said:
That's why they will waiting for 28nm to reduce power consumption. And I mean performance level not power level. With embedded memory on the customize chip, the architecture will be advance compare to PC market graphic card as always. Just wild guess, we will see. :D
Even at 22nm that would never happen and my previous statement still stands, if you truly believe they'll put in a GTX 570 level GPU you're crazy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jocchan said:
Do you really think Nintendo is going to release a crippled system heavily bottlenecked by RAM to save money, instead of putting out a slightly weaker but more balanced one at the same cost?

If it saves them, that is makes them, more money in the long term then yes they will. They're a corporation not somekind of organization with altruistic motives.

Mr_Brit said:
Sony are now after power and Nintendo make low powered, cheap,profitable systems from day 1.

Sony are now after avoiding bankruptcy. The ps3 was a disaster and they won't be repeating that again, but maybe they will, NGP is a step in the wrong direction yet again.

Microsoft seems to have learned the same lesson. THis is why their next systems aren't releasing until 2013-2014, and why nintendo can afford to jump to the next console gen much sooner than them. They overstepped their comfort zone, now they will lag behind.

In just a few months time nintendo will have the most powerful home console and microsoft/sony will be riding the dying wave of their 2005-2006 hardware for up to 2 years after. How humiliating.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr_Brit said:
It would be ridiculous if the 3DS was a smartphone or a PDA, but the last time I checked it wasn't. It's a gaming machine. More RAM (almost) never hurts, but for its overall capabilities 128 MB is far from crippingly low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom