• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Brit said:
Even at 22nm that would never happen and my previous statement still stands, if you truly believe they'll put in a GTX 570 level GPU you're crazy.

Not to mention the fact that a Triple core CPU would be a pretty bad bottleneck for such a powerful GPU.

Majine

Banned
From The Dust said:
Playable? Holy shit! That goes against the whole tech demo rumors. Makes a Q1/Q2 launch more likely
If this really is a half-leap console, they will want to get this thing out asap to have more time to bask in the sunlight before Microsoft and Sony makes their moves.

Especially seeing how fast Wii has "collapsed".

Mr_Brit

Banned
DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Not to mention the fact that a Triple core CPU would be a pretty bad bottleneck for such a powerful GPU.
Not really, the number of cores doesn't tell you anything about its power or of it could adequately keep up with a GTX 570 level GPU's demands.

zoukka

This is how you do it ladies and gentlemans. Announcement and playable console in roughly two months period. Bravo Nintendo.

Hurry up, E3. Please!

I literally haven't touched my Wii this year so I need new hardware to get my interest, since Skyward Sword is really the only Wii game I want this year.

Raide

Medalion said:
Wii will still have Skyward Sword, no need for box of kleenex yet

I guess you go take that either way. :D

Glad I have my Wii ready for new Zelda but unless the Cafe launch is full of goodness, I won't be grabbing it Day 1.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Corky said:
If it saves them, that is makes them, more money in the long term then yes they will. They're a corporation not somekind of organization with altruistic motives.
You probably missed my point. It would make no sense for Nintendo to put a city car engine in a Ferrari to save money, instead of scaling back the other components and still save the same amount of money, but putting out a more balanced car.

Mr_Brit said:
Not really, the number of cores doesn't tell you anything about its power or of it could adequately keep up with a GTX 570 level GPU's demands.

Well of course alot depends on how well the game in question has been multi threaded by the devs, but you see it with PC games today, where you really need a Quad Core minimum to get the best out of todays latest GPU's.

Raide said:
Lots of Cafe stuff and 3DS stuff. Old DS and Wii owners are told to go cry in a corner.

No I mean what Cafe games? I'm guessing a fair few Wii titles that would have otherwise come out by now were probably shifted to Cafe.

Pikmin 3 comes to mind.

Jackano

Excellent!
I was waiting for this announcement. Those PR with "to whom it may concern" really kill me, after the one for the 3DS last year ^^

June 2012 (probably Q4 in Europe) is a little far, but I think it will be fine. I will have plenty of 3DS games to play until then.

What is really exciting now, is that there will be new Nintendo games to discover at E3 for sure!
Zelda and Mario at heading to Wii and 3DS (maybe not if SS is delayed again like TP was at its time), so what IPs will be shown on Café? I can think of Pikmin, F-Zero, Starfox, and Smash Brothers...

I don't know if this has already be said, but Café controller + Virtual console == pretty much portable NES/SNES/N64 and all the rest. I'm looking forward to some good functionnalities here.

Igor Antunov said:
Sony are now after avoiding bankruptcy. The ps3 was a disaster and they won't be repeating that again, but maybe they will, NGP is a step in the wrong direction yet again.

Microsoft seems to have learned the same lesson. THis is why their next systems aren't releasing until 2013-2014, and why nintendo can afford to jump to the next console gen much sooner than them. They overstepped their comfort zone, now they will lag behind.

In just a few months time nintendo will have the most powerful home console and microsoft/sony will be riding the dying wave of their 2005-2006 hardware for up to 2 years after. How humiliating.

Isn't the PS3 catching up to, or passing the 360 now? If so, how is that a disaster? It started out pretty bad, but they've done a damn good job I think justifying the price with the tech and great games. Hell, they even pushed a brand new format (again!)

I'd be happy if Sony pushes it again next gen, we NEED someone to.

As long as the controller doesn't cost too much I don't really mind what it does.

Its only Nintendo that folks expect a controller to be game changing from.

Only so many ways a controller can stand out and be truly different.

Igor Antunov said:
Sony are now after avoiding bankruptcy. The ps3 was a disaster and they won't be repeating that again, but maybe they will, NGP is a step in the wrong direction yet again.

Microsoft seems to have learned the same lesson. THis is why their next systems aren't releasing until 2013-2014, and why nintendo can afford to jump to the next console gen much sooner than them. They overstepped their comfort zone, now they will lag behind.

In just a few months time nintendo will have the most powerful home console and microsoft/sony will be riding the dying wave of their 2005-2006 hardware for up to 2 years after. How humiliating.
Dreamcast vs PS2/GC/XBox anyone?

Medalion

Banned
DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Well of course alot depends on how well the game in question has been multi threaded by the devs, but you see it with PC games today, where you really need a Quad Core minimum to get the best out of todays latest GPU's.
I dont think u understand how that works

AniHawk

doesn't nintendo traditionally go for whatever does the work the fastest? really not a tech head here. just thought that was what they did with the gamecube.

kpx0

Banned
Jocchan said:
Do you really think Nintendo is going to release a crippled system heavily bottlenecked by RAM to save money, instead of putting out a slightly weaker but more balanced one at the same cost?

thats like asking if nintendo is going to release a non HD console when HD is gaining traction back when the wii came out

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The 360/PS3 both have 512. Even if developers thought that may not be enough (I don't know if they did), from Nintendo's perspective, it may seem that they thought it was good enough to build games, regardless of how much developers may have complained, so it might be good enough for them.

For the record, I'm setting my expectations ridiculously low, so I'll be pleasantly surprised with the final specs. After seeing the run-up to the Wii's official hardware spec leaks, I thought even if it wasn't as strong as the other two, I thought that at MINIMUM it would have 128 MB of RAM. Yeah...so you can see why I won't get too optimistic.

Grampasso

Jackano said:
Excellent!
I was waiting for this announcement. Those PR with "to whom it may concern" really kill me, after the one for the 3DS last year ^^

June 2012 (probably Q4 in Europe) is a little far, but I think it will be fine. I will have plenty of 3DS games to play until then.

What is really exciting now, is that there will be new Nintendo games to discover at E3 for sure!
Zelda and Mario at heading to Wii and 3DS (maybe not if SS is delayed again like TP was at its time), so what IPs will be shown on Café? I can think of Pikmin, F-Zero, Starfox, and Smash Brothers...

I don't know if this has already be said, but Café controller + Virtual console == pretty much portable NES/SNES/N64 and all the rest. I'm looking forward to some good functionnalities here.
Well, Wii launch was nearly WW, only 2 weeks timeframe, and 1 month for the 3DS.
Should we expect to be going backwards with Café?

Mr_Brit

Banned
DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Not really, a triple core 4.5GHZ SB will beat a quad core 3GHZ Core 2 Quad, the number of cores is irrelevant if you don't know what the architecture being used is or its clock speed.

Also, CPUs are rarely being used efficienctly in PC games even if all of your cores appear to be being fully used. Consoles devs can push CPUs much farther than PC devs can.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jackano said:
June 2012 (probably Q4 in Europe) is a little far
The days of 6 month or longer delays for the Europe release are gone. After 3DS and Wii launched so close to each other in all regions, I'd expect this machine to have a simultaneous worldwide release. Especially if IGN are correct about the machine starting to ship from the manufacturer in October/November.

kpx0 said:
thats like asking if nintendo is going to release a non HD console when HD is gaining traction back when the wii came out
No, it's not. Nintendo are all about efficient consoles. They will want to avoid bottlenecks.

The area where PS360 most need an upgrade is RAM. Nintendo is not going to go for a better CPU and GPU but little to no RAM update.

Igor Antunov said:
I can imagine mario 128 being the streams flagship title. Combine elements of every mario game before it, kind of like mario 3ds but more next-gen.
Don't do this

Unless by Mario 128 you mean Pikmin.

I can imagine mario 128 being the streams flagship title. Combine elements of every mario game before it, kind of like mario 3ds but more next-gen.

Raide

_Alkaline_ said:
No I mean what Cafe games? I'm guessing a fair few Wii titles that would have otherwise come out by now were probably shifted to Cafe.

Pikmin 3 comes to mind.

I can see it basically being. "You know what you loved on Wii? Get the CAFE version too!" I would be happy to see a new F-Zero and Lylat Wars but I get the feeling we will be seeing Mario and Sonic Olympics HD, Mario Sports Megagmix HD etc etc. Hopefully 3rd party Devs join in but it could be a very Nintendo focused show for E3.

Nintendo would be crazy to not have things like Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc but in HD. That could be the easy gateway for some Wii owners to jump in.

Luigiv

Wolves Evolve said:
768 MB RAM seems about right.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see the system going for a Wii like setup with ~256MB of 1T-SRAM and ~512MB of GDDR5 (plus a small amount of Embedded VRAM as a frame buffer). Seems like the most logical setup to me.

zoukka

kpx0 said:

Nintendo releases a HD console when (and only when) HD is in every home.

Hint: now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jocchan said:
You probably missed my point. It would make no sense for Nintendo to put a city car engine in a Ferrari to save money, instead of scaling back the other components and still save the same amount of money, but putting out a more balanced car.

I'm terrible at car analogies but here goes.

A ferrari with a ferrari engine cost X
A ferrari with a city car engine cost <X

They don't have to scale back on everything, if people still buy this ferrari with the lame engine then what difference does it make them? Isn't the wii the perfect example of this? It had the features of a "next-gen" system that it had this "groundbreaking motion tech", but the components were abysmal performance wise compared to that of lets say the ps3.

Again, that didn't stop people from buying millions upon millions of wiis.

AniHawk

Shogmaster said:
Dreamcast vs PS2/GC/XBox anyone?
not sure if nintendo's position is comparable to sega's. also, sony's positioning of the ngp as a system that lets you play console games on the go (and come home and continue playing them) suggests something that isn't a gigantic leap. i doubt sony and microsoft really want to go bleeding edge again now that they know they can make a profit much earlier. i think next gen will come down to the online stuff anyway (which still gives them the advantage).

anyway, the dreamcast launched about 18 months before the ps2 did, but the ps2 also launched about 18 months before the xbox and gamecube did.

Medalion

Banned
Raide said:
I can see it basically being. "You know what you loved on Wii? Get the CAFE version too!" I would be happy to see a new F-Zero and Lylat Wars but I get the feeling we will be seeing Mario and Sonic Olympics HD, Mario Sports Megagmix HD etc etc. Hopefully 3rd party Devs join in but it could be a very Nintendo focused show for E3.

Nintendo would be crazy to not have things like Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc but in HD. That could be the easy gateway for some Wii owners to jump in.
Hd mii's still look like Mii's... The rez bump hardly looks different

Net_Wrecker said:

Well I thought I heard a rumor MS was leaning towards making a profit from day one next-gen. So if Sony only decides to break even, by 2013-2014, they should be able to deliver a pretty nice console for $400. I think I remember reading with the $500/600 PS3 launch, well over $100 of that cost was due to Blu-Ray. Despite what some think, I don't see Sony attempting to launch another new format again next-gen, so they can spend all of the budget on the CPU/GPU and memory. Assuming they launch within 6 months of each other, next gen MS and Sony boxes will probably be fairly close in performance again. Unless MS tries something unconventional, like trying to meet or even undercut Wii 2's price, while being able to offer more powerful hw, since X720 presumably won't be ready until at least a year after Wii 2's release.

[Nintex]

Igor Antunov said:
I dunno I think it's going to be something like New Super Mario Bros. Stream that'll take the spotlight taking advantage of the four screens along with maybe F-Zero to demonstrate the new way of 4 player splitscreen gaming. Nintendo's income fell by over 50% so they probably want this thing to burst right out of the gates they can't afford to mess this one up.

Raide

Medalion said:
Hd mii's still look like Mii's... The rez bump hardly looks different

Agreed. Some games will benefit from the HD bump (i.e. Zelda, Metroid etc) all the random shovelware that will get ported...not so much.

TheOddOne

Net_Wrecker said:
Isn't the PS3 catching up to, or passing the 360 now? If so, how is that a disaster? It started out pretty bad, but they've done a damn good job I think justifying the price with the tech and great games. Hell, they even pushed a brand new format (again!)

Passing the 360 doesn't mean they magically regain everything the lost this generation. Their still pretty much in debt.

Oblivion

Judging by the NGP, as much credit as I'll give Sony for going all out with their tech, it seems kind of obvious they've learned nothing.

Luthos said:
What are the chances that Skyward Sword releases on both consoles, like TP did on Gamecube and Wii?

Highly unlikely.

The wii has a huge install base and releasing a game on the stream that can run the wii version in HD anyway would be outright pointless. They did it with TP because the gamecube had a very small market base and it would have been sent out to die.

They might release a 4-swords-esque remake for the stream, sure, but later down the track.

NewFresh

WoW at the announcement ("To whom it may concern").

I was hoping it would give more details about the console but at least we know it is happening.

Also, Nintendo taking all the momentum out of the NGP with this.

Medalion

Banned
Raide said:
Agreed. Some games will benefit from the HD bump (i.e. Zelda, Metroid etc) all the random shovelware that will get ported...not so much.
Unless they start to make Miis more advanced more like The Sims style

Oblivion

Luthos said:
What are the chances that Skyward Sword releases on both consoles, like TP did on Gamecube and Wii?

Hopefully ZERO. Unless Nintendo makes an actual worthwhile Cafe version.

Considering Nintendo will be trying to court the "hardcore", it wouldn't be too surprising to see fewer Wii series titles (or the same number, but more "core" games)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kpx0 said:
Read my car example above. Unbalanced hardware is a waste of money. Would you put a quad core CPU in a Genesis? You'd be insane, since the rest of the hw wouldn't be up to par to really use it, so you'd be wasting a more expensive component instead of going for a cheaper one you could use fully.
A RAM bottleneck would be exactly the same, and waste both CPU and GPU stupidly. This is not how you save money on hardware.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
I dunno I think it's going to be something like New Super Mario Bros. Stream that'll take the spotlight taking advantage of the four screens along with maybe F-Zero to demonstrate the new way of 4 player splitscreen gaming. Nintendo's income fell by over 50% so they probably want this thing to burst right out of the gates they can't afford to mess this one up.

i'd be glad if they shelved pikmin 3 for a couple more years if it means more console nsmb. that shit is awesome.

but then after that i'm going to need pikmin 3.

Jackano

Krev said:
The days of 6 month or longer delays for the Europe release are gone. After 3DS and Wii launched so close to each other in all regions, I'd expect this machine to have a simultaneous worldwide release. Especially if IGN are correct about the machine starting to ship from the manufacturer in October/November.
True, I hope you are right. I have difficulties to picture me a summer PAL launch. Probably my childhood N64 traumatism, again :lol

AniHawk said:
doesn't nintendo traditionally go for whatever does the work the fastest? really not a tech head here. just thought that was what they did with the gamecube.
The GC's main RAM (24MB 1TS-RAM) was really fast but the A-RAM (16MB) was extremely slow iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom