• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk said:
i'd be glad if they shelved pikmin 3 for a couple more years if it means more console nsmb. that shit is awesome.

but then after that i'm going to need pikmin 3.

Maybe some more Prime to wet your appetite.

Raide

From The Dust said:
Considering Nintendo will be trying to court the "hardcore", it wouldn't be too surprising to see fewer Wii series titles (or the same number, but more "core" games)

Nintendo will make what Nintendo always make. They will get 3rd Parties to make those "hardcore" games to bring people over to the Cafe.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Corky said:
I'm terrible at car analogies but here goes.

A ferrari with a ferrari engine cost X
A ferrari with a city car engine cost <X

They don't have to scale back on everything, if people still buy this ferrari with the lame engine then what difference does it make them? Isn't the wii the perfect example of this? It had the features of a "next-gen" system that it had this "groundbreaking motion tech", but the components were abysmal performance wise compared to that of lets say the ps3.

Again, that didn't stop people from buying millions upon millions of wiis.
Then why not build just a city car and save much more money? Why waste the other, more expensive components knowing they won't be ever put to use? That's my point.
Even the Wii was balanced. It was uniformly outdated.

jax (old)

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
Sony are now after avoiding bankruptcy. The ps3 was a disaster and they won't be repeating that again, but maybe they will, NGP is a step in the wrong direction yet again.

Microsoft seems to have learned the same lesson. THis is why their next systems aren't releasing until 2013-2014, and why nintendo can afford to jump to the next console gen much sooner than them. They overstepped their comfort zone, now they will lag behind.

In just a few months time nintendo will have the most powerful home console and microsoft/sony will be riding the dying wave of their 2005-2006 hardware for up to 2 years after. How humiliating.

quality post junior.

Mojojo

Igor Antunov said:
I can imagine mario 128 being the streams flagship title. Combine elements of every mario game before it, kind of like mario 3ds but more next-gen.

I am expecting an original product, like Wii Sport in its time, to showcase the "new way of playing".

Raide

From The Dust said:
NGP MH will most likely sell better as Japan is turning into a portable country

Having a 3DS Monster Hunter vs NGP Monster Hunter battle would be amazing to see. Think of the queues!

Raide said:
Nintendo will make what Nintendo always make. They will get 3rd Parties to make those "hardcore" games to bring people over to the Cafe.
Aye. If the Cafe has the power it's rumored to have, then it should get all the multiatform titles on top of the standard Nintendo franchises. That would be rather appealing to most core gamers, no?

Raide

PetriP-TNT said:
I wonder if Skyward Sword is going to have a Twilight Princess kind of release

As much as people don't want it, I can see it happening.

From The Dust said:
Aye. If the Cafe has the power it's rumored to have, then it should get all the multiatform titles on top of the standard Nintendo franchises. That would be rather appealing to most core gamers, no?

I guess thats their plan. Now its down to 3rd Parties going along with that plan.

Mr_Brit

Banned
From The Dust said:
Not if their online infrastructure is still stuck in 1999.

Medalion

Banned
From The Dust said:
Not if they are ports of existing games on the other consoles with no noticeable improvements or additions

Log4Girlz

szaromir said:
I refuse to believe it had 5Hz clock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

System memory:
43 MB total non-unified RAM
24 MB MoSys 1T-SRAM (codenamed "Splash") main system RAM, 324 MHz, 64-bit bus, 2.7 GB/s bandwidth[14]
3 MB embedded 1T-SRAM within "Flipper"[15]
Split into 1 MB texture buffer and 2 MB framebuffer[15]
10.4 GB/s texture peak bandwidth, 7.6 GB/s framebuffer peak bandwidth, &#8776; 6.2 ns latency[14]
16 MB DRAM used as buffer for DVD drive and audio, 81 MHz, 8-bit bus, 81 MB/s bandwidth

Death Dealer said:
Wow that's slower than some hard drives.

Yes but the gamecube was geared for streaming lots of data continously. Data would get copied from the small disc relatively quickly onto the slow ram which was used as buffer, then funneled as needed onto the super fast ram where it was executed from and modified.

In reality there was 24mb of real-time working memory, and it was damn fast.

Raide

From The Dust said:
Of course. I'm not much of a multiplayer person myself so I don't see too much that needs to be improved. I'll leave that to someone else

More and more people are getting connected, so Nintendo have to look at that and make the CAFE support and enhance peoples want/need to connect. Online games or just Twitter/Facebook, they need to add that stuff.

AniHawk said:
why not? retro was getting better and better with each one.

wait what

I dunno I think it's going to be something like New Super Mario Bros. Stream that'll take the spotlight taking advantage of the four screens along with maybe F-Zero to demonstrate the new way of 4 player splitscreen gaming. Nintendo's income fell by over 50% so they probably want this thing to burst right out of the gates they can't afford to mess this one up.

If anything, F-Zero should champion Cafe's online functionality. You can't get a blistering fast 1500 km/h 30 player DEATH RACE anywhere else.

EDarkness

Medalion said:
Not if they are ports of existing games on the other consoles with no noticeable improvements or additions

That's really up to the 3rd parties. If their games fail because they're throwing the system under the bus, it's their own damn fault. I wonder what their excuse would be then?

Medalion said:
Yea, that will be the limiting factor here. Will Nintendo games have the same pull as the Wii? Maybe for the casual crowd. Unfortunately my personal experience with the hardcore crowd consisted of "M rated is hardcore and the better games"

Furret

Banned
From The Dust said:
Playable? Holy shit! That goes against the whole tech demo rumors. Makes a Q1/Q2 launch more likely

How does it?

The quote is: "We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo".

Short of saying "We will only show tech demos" I don't know how much clearer that could be.

EDarkness said:
That's really up to the 3rd parties. If their games fail because they're throwing the system under the bus, it's their own damn fault. I wonder what their excuse would be then?

It's tEh nItenDo Kiddeh.

Furret said:
How does it?

The quote is: "We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo".

Short of saying "We will only show tech demos" I don't know how much clearer that could be.
Really? Says playable demos to me. And whenever I think of playable demos, I think games that are closer to completion than we previously thought for Cafe games. Welp, we will see come E3

Medalion

Banned
EDarkness said:
Third parties who develop original content for Nintendo systems in the past dont sell that great... They will play it safe and port games to test the waters

abstract alien said:
Think it was sarcasm lol

Nope, serious.

And I can see why too. Maybe not about Corruption being the best, certainly Echoes was, but Corruption felt like it specifically addressed his issues with the first two.

Furret

Banned
From The Dust said:
Really? Says playable demos to me. And whenever I think of playable demos, I think games that are closer to completion than we previously thought for Cafe games. Welp, we will see come E3

You're reading into it what you want to see. Technically it doesn't even say anything about software.

They could have nothing more than a moving cursor on screen, demonstrating the new controller, and they would've fulfilled the promise in the press release.

_Alkaline_ said:
Nope, serious.

And I can see why too. Maybe not about Corruption being the best, certainly Echoes was, but Corruption felt like it specifically addressed his issues with the first two.
Ahhhh...I was under the impression that he hated all of them equally. Excuse my ignorance :^)

Black Republican said:
hmm, i wonder if the new zelda will also be made for the wii2 console launch, similar to the GC/Wii twilight princess launch?

If you mean it will be a Wii game released for Stream, I think it would be terrible. If they want to make an impact, they need something made from the ground up to show off Stream.
Although I'm guessing it's probably too late for the next Zelda to be made for Stream's exponential leap over Wii, so you may be right, and they'll basically release an HD version of the same game for stream.

Its worth noting that even if Nintendo go with the 5th fastest 4xxx series GPU (the 4770, which also happens to be the most area and power efficient part from that generation) then their console would still be capable of pulling off 30fps* in Crysis 2 at extreme/max settings and 1080p resolution. That's hardly a "notch" faster.

As for memory, then 2GB is going to be the absolute maximmum if they use GDDR5 on a 128 bit bus. 1GB (plus some sort of embedded/dedicated solution) is the most realistic outcome.

*A 4770 already manages 21fps at those settings in the PC version, with some hardware tweaks (like embedded memory, which is a no brainer) and your usual closed box optimisation, gaining a ~50% speedup compared to the generic PC version running on the slow and outdated DX9 API is a conservative claim.

Luigiv

Death Dealer said:
Xbitlabs reported Stream has R700-like performance but is based on Evergreen (HD5x00) DX11 technology. If true, good news. I'm not that up to date, but I would assume R700-like means a mid-range HD5000 series GPU. Now it would be quite interesting if they took one of those chips and added edram.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._Next_Gen_Console_Code_Named_Cafe_Report.html
Yes that would be very nice indeed. Even if Nintendo can't use the DX API, all those DX11 functions are still built into the hardware and exploitable through OGL and low level coding.

Furret said:
You're reading into it what you want to see. Technically it doesn't even say anything about software.

They could have nothing more than a moving cursor on screen, demonstrating the new controller, and they would've fulfilled the promise in the press release.
I guess. But conferences can't be that disappointing :lol

AniHawk

Black Republican said:
hmm, i wonder if the new zelda will also be made for the wii2 console launch, similar to the GC/Wii twilight princess launch?
with a good chunk of ead silent for a couple of years now, i doubt they'll need to delay zelda for launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Death Dealer said:
Xbitlabs reported Stream has R700-like performance but is based on Evergreen (HD5x00) DX11 technology. If true, good news. I'm not that up to date, but I would assume R700-like means a mid-range HD5000 series GPU. Now it would be quite interesting if they took one of those chips and added edram.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._Next_Gen_Console_Code_Named_Cafe_Report.html

I think they're just confused. They're claiming no independent knowledge, their report is just relaying 01net's info.

Log4Girlz

brain_stew said:
Its worth noting that even if Nintendo go with the 5th fastest 4xxx series GPU (the 4770, which also happens to be the most area and power efficient part from that generation) then their console would still be capable of pulling off 30fps* in Crysis 2 at extreme/max settings and 1080p resolution. That's hardly a "notch" faster.

As for memory, then 2GB is going to be the absolute maximmum if they use GDDR5 on a 128 bit bus. 1GB (plus some sort of embedded/dedicated solution) is the most realistic outcome.

*A 4770 already manages 21fps at those settings in the PC version, with some hardware tweaks (like embedded memory, which is a no brainer) and your usual closed box optimisation, gaining a ~50% speedup compared to the generic PC version running on the slow and outdated DX9 API is a conservative claim.

Its a fucking quantum leap from the Wii/Gamecube tech that's for sure. The thought of what Retro could do with such a machine is erection inducing.

Kenka

Death Dealer said:

That would be a 550Ti-wannabe ? 550Ti is the lowest entry in the Evergreen series. Well, it still is far better than Xenos. DirectX 11 is supported by Evergreen however.

brain_stew said:

I would like to ask you what technology would make the Stream future proof. OK, such level of performance is acceptable but what can I expect in regard to let's say The Witcher 2 ? Can I expect to be blown away ?

gofreak said:
I think they're just confused. They're claiming no independent knowledge, their report is just relaying 01net's info.
Here we go... stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom