• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
From The Dust said:
Playable? Holy shit! That goes against the whole tech demo rumors. Makes a Q1/Q2 launch more likely
It's in line with IGNs rumors, though. Like 01net, IGN confirmed the codename. Unlike 01net, they claim it's significantly more powerful than current systems.

one_kill

I like the idea you can play games without the need for a TV. I do hope however that the screen isn't just utilised as a TV subtitute.

Death Dealer said:
Xbitlabs reported Stream has R700-like performance but is based on Evergreen (HD5x00) DX11 technology. If true, good news. I'm not that up to date, but I would assume R700-like means a mid-range HD5000 series GPU. Now it would be quite interesting if they took one of those chips and added edram.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._Next_Gen_Console_Code_Named_Cafe_Report.html

Why would anyone say something has performance "like" a generation of GPUs where the fastest part is some 20x faster than the slowest. It makes no sense,people really need to start pegging this "r700" rumour to a particular part.

Edit: Could you try reading these articles before posting them? That's purely a speculation piece based on previous leaks, they never claim to have any sources or new information. There's even some basic errors spread throughout it.

neoanarch

Death Dealer said:
Xbitlabs reported Stream has R700-like performance but is based on Evergreen (HD5x00) DX11 technology. If true, good news. I'm not that up to date, but I would assume R700-like means a mid-range HD5000 series GPU. Now it would be quite interesting if they took one of those chips and added edram.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._Next_Gen_Console_Code_Named_Cafe_Report.html

They do realize none of the neogaf stuff is true; just pure speculation, right?

Medalion

Banned
one_kill said:
I like the idea you can play games without the need for a TV. I do hope however that the screen isn't just utilised as a TV subtitute.
I dunno why people keep thinking this system will be another portable or like a Tablet

It would make the 3ds the biggest waste of time then

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the idea that it bears some passing resemblance to a super nintendo just strokes my game boner so hard. i hate myself for being so easily manipulated but god i hope that rumor is true. i really like the look of that mock-up in the o.p. as well.

this is not what i was expecting from nintendo, and i am pretty pumped that they seem to have surprised me again.

swerve

one_kill said:

This is Nintendo, who have made great strides in the world of multi-screen entertainment. They are keen to have it be able to be used when someone is watching TV, to keep you engaged with their console, but I'm equally sure they are keen to have everyone be able to enjoy Zelda 4 Swords style gameplay.

Hell, Nintendo knows that people chat on their iPhones and iPads and go crazy on Twitter whilst watching 'American Idol', and they are now even primed to take advantage of that sort of social networking development *if they want to*

lord pie

Oblivion said:
The 360/PS3 both have 512. Even if developers thought that may not be enough (I don't know if they did), from Nintendo's perspective, it may seem that they thought it was good enough to build games, regardless of how much developers may have complained, so it might be good enough for them.

In my view, the absolute minimum ram needs to be 1GB if Nintendo intends to coexist with the next-gen Sony and Microsoft hardware. If they go for 512mb, then I can see the majority of their games being ports of 360/ps3 games for the next console cycle.

One of the hardest challenges facing console developers is budgeting memory in a game. 512mb of ram may sound like a lot, but you'd be surprised how quickly it gets eaten up.

The ability of developer to make better use of the available ram is perhaps the biggest reason why this generation has seen such incredible improvement in graphical quality. To paraphrase a friend about polishing a game; "A week spent freeing 50kb is a week well spent"

swerve said:
Announcements today, Presentation/Q&A session tomorrow.

So hopefully some further details on Café tomorrow/later today then? I'd imagine Nintendo will be wanting to give investors some crumbs after the announced results...

swerve

Cosmonaut X said:
So hopefully some further details on Café tomorrow/later today then? I'd imagine Nintendo will be wanting to give investors some crumbs after the announced results...

No, I suspect the vaguest of hints. Like in January. Just be aware that Iwata doesn't tend to bring up negative points about gaming unless he feels he has an (undisclosed) solution.

Iwata in Jan said:
There are also a number of restrictions with home consoles such as you cannot play if someone else is watching a TV program.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thinking ahead to the Cafe's first holiday season:

Mario Galaxy release date: November 2007

Mario Galaxy 2 release date: May 2010

Difference of 18 months.

On that same schedule, that would put Mario Galaxy 3 at November 2012.

Kenka said:
Yeah, but does each entry of this family outperform Xenos ? By what margin ? What can we expect visually ?

No, not at all, most are above Xenos and some by a significant degree but equally it spans parts that are significantly slower as well.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if the specs are finalized, or are they just what dev kits are using at the moment?

I'm hoping Nintendo gives us at least a decent boost over this gen's hardware. Would be nice.

Enough to still get games next gen would be awesome.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Medalion said:
I dunno why people keep thinking this system will be another portable or like a Tablet

It would make the 3ds the biggest waste of time then

Again, no it wouldn't. 3DS allows you to take portable-level games anywhere you wish. This screen would presumably allow you to take console-level games anywhere in the house.

brain_stew said:
Why would anyone say something has performance "like" a generation of GPUs where the fastest part is some 20x faster than the slowest. It makes no sense,people really need to start pegging this "r700" rumour to a particular part.

Well I think we could assume the more cost effective performance oriented R700 design, as discussed 4770 4850 etc. I think when a new generation of GPUs come out, the mid range part is typically as powerful as the old line's higher end, but with more features, DX11 in this case.

Luigiv

Kenka said:
I would like to ask you what technology would make the Stream future proof. OK, such level of performance is acceptable but what can I expect in regard to let's say The Witcher 2 ? Can I expect to be blown away ?
Well, I'm not brainstew, but personally I would think it'd need to be at least DX11 compliant to be future proof. If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2014, then we can expect something reasonably more powerful then the Cafe (though, likely much more modest then the 360 and PS3). However, if the Cafe is at least compliant to (most) of the same standards, then Downports will still be easy enough for the Cafe to remain relevant.

Michan

It would be extremely odd to see Nintendo with the most powerful home platform, if it turns out to be that way.

I don't think a summer release, which people seem to be leaning to, is likely – at least, for North America and Europe. The fact that this platform was not mentioned in forecasts for this financial year completely rules out any chance of release before spring 2012 (as predicted, against a disgruntled few members), and I just can't see them launching before ~October 2012. Summer is a real down-time for home platforms, and could kill the sales hype they crafted with Wii.

I can see this launching at the beginning of October 2012, and getting close to selling out. With Thanksgiving, they will receive a boost of momentum, which will ensure all stores are completely and absolutely sold out. A large, well-timed shipment in December will boost sales further, and hopefully carry the momentum/"must buy if seen on shelf" mentality through into 2013.

I can also see it launching for $299. They will have learned that $250 was too much of a step-up from the launch price of the DS, so will not launch this home platform for more than $300 (up slightly from the Wii's $250). They will not launch at $250, as that would de-value the 3DS and have consumers question the quality of the build (Marketing 101). There needs to be space of $50 - 100 between the two to justify purchases of both platforms to consumers.

brain_stew said:
Edit: Could you try reading these articles before posting them? That's purely a speculation piece based on previous leaks, they never claim to have any sources or new information. There's even some basic errors spread throughout it.

You're really not in any position to say one rumor is more correct than another. It actually makes more sense to use something from the more recent 5x00series anyways. The manufacturing cost would be comparable and it would have newer features and use less power.

Medalion

Banned
Plinko said:
Again, no it wouldn't. 3DS allows you to take portable-level games anywhere you wish. This screen would presumably allow you to take console-level games anywhere in the house.
Right so it is a short range portable but the main hub system still interfaces with a tv.

iamblades

Death Dealer said:

Seems pretty obvious if the screens in the controllers part is accurate, because the 5000 series is where eyefinity came in, which seems like it would be very helpful for pushing multiple displays.. That doesn't answer the question of why someone would say use R700 as a comparison when it's not an R700 inside.

I dunno maybe the early devkits are using R700s and final hardware will be the 5000 series equivalent? Who knows.

AniHawk

Plinko said:

Difference of 18 months.

mario galaxy 2 finished up the same time as nsmbw. they delayed it to give nsmbw some time to breathe (or really, not to kill smg2 sales outright).

super mario 3d could be out this year. the earliest 3d mario for cafe might be 2013. however with a heavy focus on multiplayer and considering how very popular it is, nsmbcafe would be a better fit, especially if they did stuff like make it look not like the ds and wii game.

From The Dust said:
Really? Says playable demos to me. And whenever I think of playable demos, I think games that are closer to completion than we previously thought for Cafe games. Welp, we will see come E3

Just to put it in perspective - the Wii remote was playable at its announcement at TGS, but that didn't mean everybody there got to play it.

It could be a small selection of the press get to play it and we might not even see those demos, or, it could be playable on the show floor.

All we know is at least one person will get to go hands on at E3.

Plinko

Medalion said:
Right so it is a short range portable but the main hub system still interfaces with a tv.

Interfaces with a console that doesn't require a TV, presumably.

Kenka

brain_stew said:
No, not at all, most are above Xenos and some by a significant degree but equally it spans parts that are significantly slower as well.
Well, now it is clear why this discussion about the GPU is plain bullshit. Thanks to answer.

Luigiv said:
Well, I'm not brainstew, but personally I would think it'd need to be at least DX11 compliant to be future proof. If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2014, then we can expect something reasonably more powerful then the Cafe (though, likely much more modest then the 360 and PS3). However, if the Cafe is at least compliant to (most) of the same standards, then Downports will still be easy enough for the Cafe to remain relevant.
I see. What bother me though is the projected increase in power for next-gen GPUs. There was a chart somewhere stating that GPUs by 2013 would be 16 times faster that the mid-range Fermi products currently available.

Medalion

Banned
Plinko said:
Interfaces with a console that doesn't require a TV, presumably.
People are worried the controller screen hybrid would replace the tv, then where would we be getting those 1080p graphics? Not on that 6" screen for sure, so people can stop worrying

Xdrive05

I just hope we get a reasonable online infrastructure with no subscriptions - something like PSN would be sufficient. Nintendo can't ignore this forever.

They can't, right?

Mr_Brit said:
Not really, a triple core 4.5GHZ SB will beat a quad core 3GHZ Core 2 Quad, the number of cores is irrelevant if you don't know what the architecture being used is or its clock speed.

Also, CPUs are rarely being used efficienctly in PC games even if all of your cores appear to be being fully used. Consoles devs can push CPUs much farther than PC devs can.

As well as that, most of IBM's recent architectures support 4 threads per core. That's 12 threads that are each individually faster than Xenon's threads, hardly a minor increase in performance or SMT capability. Modern GPUs are much more flexible as well, meaning certain traditional CPU operations, like physics, can be offloaded to the GPU if necessary. Investing most resouces on the GPU side is simply the smart thing to do.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Plinko said:

Difference of 18 months.

No more Galaxy.

New 3D Mario, please.

Michan said:
The fact that this platform was not mentioned in forecasts for this financial year completely rules out any chance of release before spring 2012

Not necessarily true. They say 'not included' in this FYs forecasts, it doesn't mean that they've finalised plans for it to release in the next FY instead. Forecasts can be revised.

Articalys

I'm still surprised so much info leaked so early, Nintendo's usually really good at keeping secrets -- is this just the result of trusting suppliers and third party devs a bit more? A necessary risk if Nintendo wanted the better relations, I guess.

Medalion

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
This would be epic if true.

What if it streams to any tv in the house as well as any controller with a little tv attachment?
Epic fail u mean

Restricting shit to a small 6" screen that is less than 720p is not good for a home console

gerg

As I said in the other rumour and/or hype thread, the most compelling aspect of this console to me is that it may address a problem of playing console games in households where not everyone does: playing such machines may be an inherently unsocial activity, in that one person dominates the social space in a way that makes it harder for other users to enjoy it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's one comment from Iwata, presumably to investors. Not sure if old (?) It's not very enlightening, mind you:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-42-will-introduce-wii-successor-in-2012.html

“We would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles” with the Wii successor, Iwata said, without elaborating. “It’s difficult to make 3-D images a key feature, because 3-D televisions haven’t obtained wide acceptance yet.”

edit - and:

“As for the details of exactly what it will be, we have decided that it is best to let people experience it for themselves at E3,” Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, told a news conference.

“So I won’t talk about specific details today, but it will offer a new way of playing games within the home,” said Iwata, a former game designer.

http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/business/article1997385.html

Daante

Old?

http://www.wiihdrumors.com/

Leaked-1.jpg

Leaked-3.jpg

Triton55

Interesting that Nintendo decided not to state the console's name or main feature like they did with their 3DS announcement. I guess it would validate too many rumors, some of which could be inaccurate as Miyamoto warned, if they did that.
If there weren't already rumors out there, they might have just gone ahead and disclosed the name and tablet-controller already with this announcement.

Xdrive05

I like it - sort of a "Wii retro" look. I've said all along it would probably be near Wii sized, even though these reports are saying closer to original 360 size.

AniHawk

Articalys said:
I'm still surprised so much info leaked so early, Nintendo's usually really good at keeping secrets -- is this just the result of trusting suppliers and third party devs a bit more? A necessary risk if Nintendo wanted the better relations, I guess.

developers like ubisoft have kits now, supposedly (and have had them for months at this point). so by the time cafe hits, they'll have had 16-18 months to polish their shovelware and shoddy ports.

Michan

radioheadrule83 said:
Not necessarily true. They say 'not included' in this FYs forecasts, it doesn't mean that they've finalised plans for it to release in the next FY instead. Forecasts can be revised.
Forecasts can indeed be revised, but usually due to external factors. In order for shareholders to make informed investment decisions, Nintendo has a law-enforced obligation to present accurate forecasts to them. Not reporting sales forecasts to their shareholders in such a way could get them into a lot of trouble.

It will not launch in this FY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom