• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That look ugly as shit, no way Nintendo would make it look like that. If it's real it must be the first prototype they made of the Wii2.

Edit: Why do I always manage to get the post that starts a new page? :p

Nessus

Plinko said:
Thinking ahead to the Cafe's first holiday season:

Mario Galaxy release date: November 2007

Mario Galaxy 2 release date: May 2010

Difference of 18 months.

On that same schedule, that would put Mario Galaxy 3 at November 2012.

EAD Tokyo is already tied up working on Super Mario 3DS.

gerg

IonicSnake said:
That look ugly as shit, no way Nintendo would make it look like that. If it's real it must be the first prototype they made of the Wii2.

Edit: Why do I always manage to get the post that starts a new page? :p

pfft 50 posts per page.

; )

Nessus said:

And that game is coming out this year, so it's mostly done. So EAD could spit out a 3D Mario quickly if they wanted.

EVH said:
Also, WiiHD requires batteries confirmed?

Yes? A controller would require batteries.

ndreamer

looks like a photo shopped media center to me, it looks to cheap and on the front where the cd is ment to go is way to small unless they are going back to mini disks.

NeonZ

Medalion said:
Epic fail u mean

Restricting shit to a small 6" screen that is less than 720p is not good for a home console

Are you really worried this won't be compatible with tvs and will only stream to the controllers? I don't think a scenario where that happens is even a possibility.

WillyFive

So it's real? I admit defeat.

Also, the only thing wrong about the N64 and Gamecube controllers was the lack of functionality (less buttons than competition, no pressure sensitivity/buttons inside analog sticks).

Other than that, I wouldn't pick something like the Dual Shock over them. More functionality isn't worth the hand cramps you get with those Playstation controllers.

magash said:
Could the screens on the control pads be 3d-screens?

Unless Nintendo fixed the problem they had with touch not working on 3D or vice versa since the 3DS came out, I doubt it.

Alrus

Nessus said:

They've probably been working on that game since 2009 or something (Galaxy 2 was apparently done way before it was released). And they expect to be done with it sometime this year.

Daante

Regarding the pics of the console on http://www.wiihdrumors.com/

"Update: Here’s a comment I received via YouTube:

The pictures were taken inside of the NOA conference room in Redmond, WA. I have family member who have personally been inside the exact same room, sitting in the exact same chairs in the pictures."

"I sent a tweet to @jimreilly of IGN who has shared many of the leaks so far, but he’s not convinced it’s the real deal. Admittedly, the reflections do look a little off and the the LED light is illuminated even though it’s not plugged in, which is a major buzz-kill."

cjelly said:
No more Galaxy.

New 3D Mario, please.
this, i'm surprised people would actually expect a mario galaxy 3 ,when galaxy 2 was already a matter of circumstance (they had ideas/material leftover that could fit into another game) .

iamblades

Luigiv said:
Well, I'm not brainstew, but personally I would think it'd need to be at least DX11 compliant to be future proof. If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2014, then we can expect something reasonably more powerful then the Cafe (though, likely much more modest then the 360 and PS3). However, if the Cafe is at least compliant to (most) of the same standards, then Downports will still be easy enough for the Cafe to remain relevant.

DX 11 support is irrelevant for Sony and Nintendo who use openGL anyway.

I don't think ATi had to actually add any major new features to their hardware for DX 11. The two big features of DX 11, GPU compute and tesselation, were already part of ATi's hardware. ATi improved those things for their DX 11 cards, but if Nintendo chooses a DX 10 level part, they will still have pretty much all of the DX 11 featureset, it will just be implemented a different way and not as fast.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Daante said:

The pictures were taken inside of the NOA conference room in Redmond, WA. I have family member who have personally been inside the exact same room, sitting in the exact same chairs in the pictures."

"I sent a tweet to @jimreilly of IGN who has shared many of the leaks so far, but he’s not convinced it’s the real deal. Admittedly, the reflections do look a little off and the the LED light is illuminated even though it’s not plugged in, which is a major buzz-kill."
My uncle reggie took thsoe pics but asked me not to tell anyoone or else iwata gets angry

I'm curious to see this...not excited though, which is a first for a new Nintendo console.

It more than likely being on par graphically with the 360 is a really big buzz kill for me.

So is IGN still spouting bullshit lol? I believe they got the name, and also confirmed playable games at E3. Now it's just a matter of the system's performance really.

Edit: I'm not one to initiate crowfests but it's nice to give credit where credit is due.

SykoTech

Whoa, late to the party here. Playable at E3 and the 3rd party support rally definitely makes it seem like the 3DS all over again. I wonder if they'll be able to gain good western developers though, which doesn't seem to be the case with the 3DS. A pity that it seems like it's truly just a little more powerful than the 360 rather than significantly better than the PS3, but I guess that was to be expected.

It is interesting that it doesn't say a word about motion controllers aside from the sensor bar thing. Does Nintendo plan to make them much less of a focus this time? It probably wouldn't bother me if they did, but I figured they'll find some way to fully integrate them into a regular controller. Hopefully, they'll leave most of it optional this time. I'm sure 3rd parties will.

Mik2121

iamblades said:

I don't think ATi had to actually add any major new features to their hardware for DX 11. The two big features of DX 11, GPU compute and tesselation, were already part of ATi's hardware. ATi improved those things for their DX 11 cards, but if Nintendo chooses a DX 10 level part, they will still have pretty much all of the DX 11 featureset, it will just be implemented a different way and not as fast.
That reminds me (and this is completely random) that the XBox is called that way because the original name was Direct X Box. When I first knew about it I was quite surprised!.

wsippel

Banned
Luigiv said:
Well, I'm not brainstew, but personally I would think it'd need to be at least DX11 compliant to be future proof. If Sony and Microsoft launch in 2014, then we can expect something reasonably more powerful then the Cafe (though, likely much more modest then the 360 and PS3). However, if the Cafe is at least compliant to (most) of the same standards, then Downports will still be easy enough for the Cafe to remain relevant.
From what I've seen, D3D11 offers very few new features over D3D10. It's mostly one feature that's driver related (multithreading support), one that's pretty much irrelevant for games (DirectCompute), and one that's already supported by R700 (Tessellation).

Death Dealer said:
You're really not in any position to say one rumor is more correct than another. It actually makes more sense to use something from the more recent 5x00series anyways. The manufacturing cost would be comparable and it would have newer features and use less power.

I'm not which is why I'm not doing that. Read the article again, they're citing 01net and interjecting their own speculation, nothing more, nothing less.

If Nintendo don't feel the extra transistors used to support an API which will never be ran on their hardware are worthwile, then it makes perfect sense that the most efficient DX10.1 GPU ever released would be the base of their project.

Where is this huge increase in area efficiency coming from anyway?

The 4870 is a 956m transistor chip. The 5870 is a 2.15b transistor chip. To simply match the area efficiency of the previous generation it would have to offer more than a doubling of performance but it doesn't. In fact its not even close, its clear that the move to DX11 compliance actually significantly reduced the area efficency of AMD's GPUs and this can be seen accross tthe lineup (e.g. the 5770 uses around 100m transistors more than the 4870 but is actually slower). The increase in power efficiency of the lineup came almost entirely from a die shrink, the fact that the 4770 made similar strides forward in power efficiency shows this to be the case and Nintendo are going to be die shrinking and optimising any base design anyway, so that's irrelevant.

No, from the evidence we have the 4xxx series generation is a perfect candidate to be the base of Nintendo's next GPU, it has a modernn featureset, without too much PC baggage and its incredibly area efficient, meaning more bang for Nintendo's buck. Using an older GPU means Nintendo can afford a faster GPU, that's pretty sound logic to me.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I'm curious to see this...not excited though, which is a first for a new Nintendo console.

It more than likely being on par graphically with the 360 is a really big buzz kill for me.

Then it would have 512mb of total ram. Ridiculous. Thus definitiely not 'more than likely'.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Woah. Here's a Nintendo patent that has been publicated the 19th of this month. A PDF inside the link: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7929911.html

A wireless communication game system includes a plurality of mobile game apparatuses, which function as a parent device or a child device and are capable of making a communication with each other, and broadcasts from the parent device a parent device packet including a parent device PID, a user name UserName, a game name GameName, an OC flag, an E slot, a U slot, and a payload. All the parent device packets are received from the parent device existing within a communicationable range of a user's own apparatus, and the user's own apparatus creates a parent device list, and displays the parent device list on an LCD. Therefore, a user or a player of his own apparatus looks at the game name of the parent device list, for example, and operates a cross key included in an operation key so as to select one desired parent device. Then, transmitting a child device number CID of the user's own apparatus at the E slot designated by the parent device packet, the user's own apparatus transmits a connection request to the parent device.
Interestingly enough, the patent has been filed in 2003.

watershed

Banned
Daante said:

Yeah this is fake, no doubt.
As for that youtube comment, those chairs and table look like the one at my work and no I don't work for Nintendo.

1-D_FTW

Don't know what to think. Hopefully they show something more tomorrow. Or we get better leaks. Otherwise, E3 is going to be epic. This better get a significant tech boost over 360 if they're not releasing till at least Q2 2012.

EDIT: If it is a 4870, that's fine by me. At some point, you do need to cap the power figures for a console and that's perfectly respectable for a mid-2012 release.

Xdrive05

Still, I hope they stick close to the Wii aesthetic. Also, a TV-less home console sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Why have it be a home console then (and be powerful, for that matter)? The only pro I can think of is easier single-console multiplayer. Instead of splitting the TV screen, each player gets their own screen.

Even the argument for putting GUI elements on the screen is bullshit, IMO. Who wants to glance down at their controller to see their ammo, maps, etc.? GUIs are on the TV for a reason.

Daante said:

It could still be an early Alpha Mockup to show off... working LED could just be to show which controllers are streaming. LEDs do not take much power its just a hollow mockup with a little LED light attached to a battery would be my guess

I'm really hoping thats not it. It kinda has a "D" shape :/

Medalion

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Yeah this is fake, no doubt.
As for that youtube comment, those chairs and table look like the one at my work and no I don't work for Nintendo.
Nintendos profits down means 52% uglier generic conference room furnishings

Xdrive05 said:
Still, I hope they stick close to the Wii aesthetic. Also, a TV-less home console sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Why have it be a home console then (and be powerful, for that matter)? The only pro I can think of is easier single-console multiplayer. Instead of splitting the TV screen, each player gets their own screen.

Even the argument for putting GUI elements on the screen is bullshit, IMO. Who wants to glance down at their controller to see their ammo, maps, etc.? GUIs are on the TV for a reason.

whoa buddy who said anything about it being tv less.

Huff

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Don't know what to think. Hopefully they show something more tomorrow. Or we get better leaks. Otherwise, E3 is going to be epic. This better get a significant tech boost over 360 if they're not releasing till at least Q2 2012.

I'm not sure what I'd rather have. Leaks now. Or an awesome E3 surprise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Medalion said:
Epic fail u mean

Restricting shit to a small 6" screen that is less than 720p is not good for a home console

Who said anything about restricting? Why are you making the faulty assumption that the main function would NOT use a TV? That's idiotic. My guess is the streaming is an option.

Just give me one thing nintendo: please let this thing but significantly more powerful than current console hardware offerings. I don't think I can take another Wii scenario again.

Xdrive05

DoomXploder7 said:
whoa buddy who said anything about it being tv less.

There was pissing in the wind about it earlier. ;)

That's not to say it WON'T work on a TV, but I think it's dangerous to entertain the idea that the industry should move in that direction. Particularly now that we're doing fairly nice displays on the controllers themselves.

Medalion

Banned
Plinko said:
Who said anything about restricting? Why are you making the faulty assumption that the main function would NOT use a TV? That's idiotic. My guess is the streaming is an option.
I am not the one who is assuming this, there are people who are thinking this will happen

Xdrive05 said:

This is Nintendo. Barring the Virtual Boy have any of their ideas been TERRIBLE?

Xdrive05 said:

It hooks up to a TV, the rumours merely suggest that the controllers function as extra screens and may be able to function when the console ISN'T outputting to a TV...

It's potentially a brilliant idea for families and people who live together and share one main TV in the living room... it means you can stay in the room and game while they watch TV, or go and play in another room. It'll introduce a touch screen interface on the controller for quick, accessible menus and game input, and it could be great for multiplayer etc too.

Luigiv

iamblades said:

Just because Sony and Nintendo can't use the DX11 API doesn't mean that they can't access the hardware that makes those APIs work. That's why I used the word "compliant".

But anyway, If the R700 supports all the best DX11 features anyway then I guess that would be enough (assuming it's implementations of said features aren't too different from the standard. We all know how that worked out for the TEV).

artwalknoon said:
"Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012."

Is it just me or does this quote make it sound like they will be releasing the console prior to the end of the fiscal year like they did the 3ds? Because why else point out that the sales forecast for the new system isn't included in the term ending March 2012? If it wasn't going to be out by then that would be obvious, but if it is going to be out by then, then it sounds like they might make a forecast after revealing its details?

I hope you're right. :)

But damn, E3's going to be massive, at least we have a confirmation now... but no fucking name. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom