• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinterbird said:
Why? The Wii did more then well without Mass Effect or the real Call of Duty games.

And at the moment, we don't know if MS and Sony will go the Wii route (current hardware, more ram and some better stuff here and there) or go tech-crazy again (which I highly doubt). And I would doubt Nintendo knows what either company is going to do either.

So for Nintendo, this is without a doubt the absolut smartest thin they could do. They are creating a console that can get ports for the next few years, and they are creating a machine they can sell at a profit, and launch it as "the successor to the Wii", which is an extremely powerful piece of wording to throw around.

For one thing, given the economic climate and the amount of money that Sony and Micro lost, I do not expect their next gen offerings to be that much of a leap over what we have now. At least we can agree here.

And again, I am speaking for the core. This is the audience nintendo is trying to win back. The ones that carried nintendo from 1986 to 2006. I could argue how much better the Wii would have done with games like ME and the real COD games. Why can't a nintendo system cater to BOTH audiences?

AceBandage said:
cafe_high4mja.jpg

So what is that suppose to be?
Mario or a controller?
Thats the actual console!!!

DragonKnight said:
Again, no one is saying nintendo needs to make ps3 which for reference was only that expensive because of that blu-ray drive. Still, it justs needs to be in the same ballpark as Sony and Microsoft's next gen offerings.

What's the point in arguing this? We know it won't be.

Vinterbird said:
Nintendo is a business. Nintendo is exclusively looking at this from a business stand point.

Great for nintendo, very sad for the consumer. It would be nice to only need to purchase one console for once.

Edit: I'm just gonna set myself up for disappointment. It will be Wii all over again but just with a two year delay in crappy third party software.

RedSwirl

Xdrive05 said:
Another smart thing about targeting the hardware at "slightly better than 360" means all the gains made by developers over the last 5 years will be freebies on the Wii2. So if your engine runs well on the 360, it will probably run better on the Wii2 will little to no effort.

And since the studios are already complaining about production costs with these new systems, I can foresee some hesitation in supporting PS4/360.2 scoped games where the production costs will go up yet again (assuming those system go for a quantum leap forward in tech again).

This is probably the level of project scope the industry will be most comfortable developing in for some time to come (until costs come down, the economy recovers, etc.)

This was more or less Nintendo's reason for making the current Wii underpowered, and developers still went for the prettier graphics, and it's led to a ton of jobs lost. Perhaps now that they get the message some studios will hold back, but I think the larger part of the industry will still dive headfirst into any newly-released Sony/Microsoft console despite the increased expenses.

In my personal opinion the PS2 era represented about the level of project scope that offered the most balance for the industry. It allowed for both big blockbusters and more niche titles to survive in the retail market since most games then only costed a few million dollars at most to develop. Games since then have gotten prettier, but not much more complex (a lot of genres have gotten simpler since then actually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is anything in the update 1 of the OP actually confirmed by Nintendo? Was there a press release I missed?

DragonKnight said:
For one thing, given the economic climate and the amount of money that Sony and Micro lost, I do not expect their next gen offerings to be that much of a leap over what we have now. At least we can agree here.

And again, I am speaking for the core. This is the audience nintendo is trying to win back. The ones that carried nintendo from 1986 to 2006. I could argue how much better the Wii would have done with games like ME and the real COD games. Why can't a nintendo system cater to BOTH audiences?

Because economically they've proven the core audience are fucking useless? Proven time and again? Beyond doubt? And that they don't ever ever ever need to lead from the front technologically?

Probably that.

farnham

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
Because economically they've proven the core audience are fucking useless? Proven time and again? Beyond doubt? And that they don't ever ever ever need to lead from the front technologically?

Probably that.
why rely on 500k people if you can sell stuff to millions over millions

DragonKnight said:
Great for nintendo, very sad for the consumer. It would be nice to only need to purchase one console for once.

Edit: I'm just gonna set myself up for disappointment. It will be Wii all over again but just with a two year delay in crappy third party software.

Uh, what?
Are Sony, MS and Nintendo all going to put all their games on one console or something?
This is just silly...

Andrex said:
Is anything in the update 1 of the OP actually confirmed by Nintendo? Was there a press release I missed?

A press release that stated a new successor will be playable at E3 and launch in 2012.

Cafe is also a confirmed codename, as evidenced by Nintendo's own developer website.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DragonKnight said:

Because when you try to cater to both audiences, you end up not with Wii-like system numbers, but Xbox and PS3 type numbers? Wii is at 86 million worldwide. Xbox and PS3 are trailing around 30 million behind.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinterbird said:
Nintendo is a business. Nintendo is exclusively looking at this from a business stand point.
And software sales are the most important part of their business. Royalties from third party sales are equally as important as the sales of their own titles, and I doubt Nintendo wants to keep missing the best sellers third parties have been putting on other platforms this generation.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So, this'll be like a non-portable 3DSXXL?

Wolves Evolve said:

Probably that.

When did I say that Nintendo needs to be at the head of the pack? I'm expecting nintendo to be the underpowered underdog of the next gen. They just to be comparable however minimalistic that may be. And i don't know if I would call the core useless when without them nintendo would not have even been able to produce the Wii.

avaya

Kintaro said:
Because when you try to cater to both audiences, you end up not with Wii-like system numbers, but Xbox and PS3 type numbers? Wii is at 86 million worldwide. Xbox and PS3 are trailing around 30 million behind.

The real HD userbase is 100m+ and growing fast, they just split it between each other.

Kintaro said:

PS2? That thing catered to everyone quite well.

AceBandage said:
Uh, what?
Are Sony, MS and Nintendo all going to put all their games on one console or something?
This is just silly...

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying. If given the choice, I would exclusively buy nintendo systems but there are many stellar third party titles that often tip my hand into buying another system alongside my nintendo one. For example, I got a 360 just for Bioshock.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Igor Antunov said:
If the rumoured launch price is near right ($350-400) then stop fretting you poor graphically starved babies. That price means beefy hardware.

You can't make this claim if the rumors about the controllers are true. Those sound like they could be expensive.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
_Alkaline_ said:
A press release that stated a new successor will be playable at E3 and launch in 2012.

Cafe is also a confirmed codename, as evidenced by Nintendo's own developer website.

But nothing else, right?

DragonKnight said:
I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying. If given the choice, I would exclusively buy nintendo systems but there are many stellar third party titles that often tip my hand into buying another system alongside my nintendo one. For example, I got a 360 just for Bioshock.

I am so sorry...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Anything made by nintendo apparently.
their controllers are as badly designed as they come from an ergonomic standpoint.
The nes, n64, gamecube.

I can still feel the edges of the nes controller ripping into my flesh.

Raide

avaya said:
The real HD userbase is 100m+ and growing fast, they just split it between each other.

Interesting to think about it like that. If MS and Sony do a big tech leap for PS4/360-2, enough that it can get more PC ports of games, then the HD userbase could jump again.

Most here want Cafe to be closer to 360, mainly so they can get ports of the better games. At some point MS and Sony have to think about getting bigger and better PC ports.

seady

If all the controller does is streaming content onto a screen, I don't see why Nintendo couldn't implement it into the 3DS. It's basically the same as what the PSP is doing already with the PS3, but of course Sony is always a "has the tech, but not the content to make use of them" kinda of company.

Of course, it could be a misstep on Nintendo's part for not thinking ahead when they develop the 3DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Corky said:
their controllers are as badly designed as they come from an ergonomic standpoint.
The nes, n64, gamecube.

You best be trollin'

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can see what Nintendo's angling for here- iPod Touches/iPads are extremely popular with kids right now and Nintendo is kinda going for that route. It makes sense in that regard.

On the other hand, it just seems extremely limited compared to those kinds of devices. You're tethered to the console from your home, and even if you're able to stream via the internet (I really have my doubts about that one) you're still limited to what's in the DVD drive (unless Nintendo magically starts pushing a huge DD initiative and releases all their games digitally as well). Yeah, there's Wiiware...but yeah. Wiiware.

I dunno. This sounds expensive and crazy to me. And if the system is really just slightly more powerful than the 360, you have to use a lot of the Cafe's power just to stream data and pictures to the controllers simultaneously. There's a reason why the PS3 completely shuts down outputting to the TV when using Remote Play.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Corky said:
The nes, n64, gamecube.

Gamecube?!

It may be poorly designed in terms of accommodating the needs of third parties but unergonomic? WHAT?!

Yazus

I really, really hope Nintendo comes up with something awesome for both "hardcore" and "casual" players this time.

I mean, it costs like 400$, so It can have graphics in par with the 360 and maybe more. I'm ok with that. I'm not asking for PS3 or more level graphics because the console would be costing too much to be affordable for the "mass" and Nintendo needs to print money and I'm ok with that.

This controller stuff is getting me exited. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is one of my all-time favourites and its because you had the GBA experience.
If pretty much all games can use that I'm really going nuts

Also no waggle? Only gyroscope? Awesome.
Well well this "Wii 2" is getting me reeeeally exited. Give it a decent Online infrastructure and here we go.

farnham

Banned
chubigans said:
I can see what Nintendo's angling for here- iPod Touches/iPads are extremely popular with kids right now and Nintendo is kinda going for that route. It makes sense in that regard.

On the other hand, it just seems extremely limited compared to those kinds of devices. You're tethered to the console from your home, and even if you're able to stream via the internet (I really have my doubts about that one) you're still limited to what's in the DVD drive (unless Nintendo magically starts pushing a huge DD initiative and releases all their games digitally as well). Yeah, there's Wiiware...but yeah. Wiiware.

I dunno. This sounds expensive and crazy to me. And if the system is really just slightly more powerful than the 360, you have to use a lot of the Cafe's power just to stream data and pictures to the controllers simultaneously. There's a reason why the PS3 completely shuts down outputting to the TV when using Remote Play.
completely agreed

avaya

Wolves Evolve said:
I wonder if MS and Sony will be encouraged to scale back their technology this next time around.

Neither company will release a console that is not a significant upgrade over what is available in the market at that point in time. It is not in their nature to do so.

Wolves Evolve said:
I wonder if MS and Sony will be encouraged to scale back their technology this next time around.

Wii proved that the consumer doesn't really care about the grpahics, and it would crazy for them not to look at that trend and go "maybe we could just put in some more ram, and you know, be done with it?".

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DragonKnight said:
PS2? That thing catered to everyone quite well.

Yeah, that situation will probably never happen again. Especially considering Japan couldn't give much of a shit about consoles after the PS2.

avaya said:

Even Sony can't spin this hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom