• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kintaro said:
Yeah, that situation will probably never happen again. Especially considering Japan couldn't give much of a shit about consoles after the PS2.

I wanna say PS1 but that would just be going back in time. But who knows...never say never, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
chubigans said:
I can see what Nintendo's angling for here- iPod Touches/iPads are extremely popular with kids right now and Nintendo is kinda going for that route. It makes sense in that regard.

On the other hand, it just seems extremely limited compared to those kinds of devices. You're tethered to the console from your home, and even if you're able to stream via the internet (I really have my doubts about that one) you're still limited to what's in the DVD drive (unless Nintendo magically starts pushing a huge DD initiative and releases all their games digitally as well). Yeah, there's Wiiware...but yeah. Wiiware.

I dunno. This sounds expensive and crazy to me. And if the system is really just slightly more powerful than the 360, you have to use a lot of the Cafe's power just to stream data and pictures to the controllers simultaneously. There's a reason why the PS3 completely shuts down outputting to the TV when using Remote Play.

We have no idea how they'll angle the controller. It may be only able to stream games at home, but we don't know what you can do with it when you take it outside the home. Small downloadable games playing, movies, web browsing, etc. when you're in range of Wi-Fi. Besides that, I don't think the controller will be more than $70. That's not too expensive and crazy.

Besides all that a touchscreen plus traditional controls gives Cafe a surprising breadth of control options. This system will be able to play almost anything, even traditionally PC-only genres like complex strategy games and MMOs with little UI reworking. And also, a screen in a controller just gets me giddy thinking of everything that will be possible.

I mean, it costs like 400$, so It can have graphics in par with the 360 and maybe more. I'm ok with that. I'm not asking for PS3 or more level graphics

Lol wut? The ps3 has an inferior gpu to the xbox360 ands the vast majority of multiplats look like crap on ps3 as a result.

I really like the name Cafe. It gives me images of sitting in a warm coffee shop on a cool day while sipping a nice cup of joe.

I would be happy if that code name stuck. Like the Game Boy Advance.

Vinterbird said:
Wii proved that the consumer doesn't really care about the grpahics, and it would crazy for them not to look at that trend and go "maybe we could just put in some more ram, and you know, be done with it?".

This is what I am hoping for.

Laurent

Why would you do that? said:
I really like the name Cafe. It gives me images of sitting in a warm coffee shop on a cool day while sipping a nice cup of joe.

I would be happy if that name stuck.
Starbucks deal confirmed!

Igor Antunov said:
Lol wut? The ps3 has an inferior gpu to the xbox360 ands the vast majority of multiplats look like crap on ps3 as a result.

you know, when people are talking ps3 level graphics aren't comparing gpu's and saying if one is better than the other, they're talking about the ps3 having games like god of war 3, uncharted 2, killzone 3, infamous 2 and others. but enough with the thread derail.

Andrex said:
We have no idea how they'll angle the controller. It may be only able to stream games at home, but we don't know what you can do with it when you take it outside the home. Small downloadable games playing, movies, web browsing, etc. when you're in range of Wi-Fi. Besides that, I don't think the controller will be more than $70.That's not too expensive and crazy.

Besides all that a touchscreen plus traditional controls gives Cafe a surprising breadth of control options. This system will be able to play almost anything, even traditionally PC-only genres like complex strategy games and MMOs with little UI reworking. And also, a screen in a controller just gets me giddy thinking of everything that will be possible.

kazuma_pt said:
you know, when people are talking ps3 level graphics aren't comparing gpu's and saying if one is better than the other, they're talking about the ps3 having games like god of war 3, uncharted 2, killzone 3, infamous 2 and others. but enough with the thread derail.

Crysis 2 looks better on xbox360, and its technically better looking than any of those games.

To tie it in with cafe discussion, what you're saying with those examples is that slightly inferior hardware can produce fantastic results. True.

But nintendo won't be cutting it that close, they will release a console that is quite obviously faster than the current offerings.

A.KU.MU

Banned
"Seal" game as launch title, confirmed.

2Qumf.gif

DaBuddaDa

I predict there will be a cheaper, screen-less version of the controller available for less. Screened controllers might run say, $70, and the screen-less $40.

Or have classic controller support through a wiimote like always.

Michan

Andrex said:
Let's be real here. Wii + Nunchuk already costs $60. Add MotionPlus to it and you're already topping that.
Well, MotionPlus is built in now. And nobody really bought MotionPlus separately.

avaya

Kintaro said:
Even Sony can't spin this hard.

Where's the spin unless you're being obtuse. Both consoles are very similar in power and what they offer to the consumer. They both take sales off each other. If one existed alone in that space it would more than likely have the bulk of those combined sales. The only issue for anyone trying to go down the PS3/360 route is that the market becomes crowded. The console market is very similar to an oligopoly.

swerve

chubigans said:
.you have to use a lot of the Cafe's power just to stream data and pictures to the controllers simultaneously. There's a reason why the PS3 completely shuts down outputting to the TV when using Remote Play.

Nintendo makes hardware around their software ideas. If they have ideas which involve streaming to the screens whilst playing on the TV simultaneously, the hardware will be up to that.

Whether it's via supporting communications processing units, or just *enough grunt* in the core of the system, I don't think we should be worrying about whether they can make good on whatever the new 'gimmick' for the system is based on existing hardware from other companies.

Nintendo don't get much credit for their tech, but they've pulled off far wackier things than remote play in the past, and they've been looking at 'connectivity' in their games for a decade at least.

It could be that Wii was their stop-gap system - gamecube connectivity to gba was always the goal, and now they have a system to do it.

Busty

Banned
Seeing as this console will be closer to the PS360 in terms of 'power' than a generational leap forward it does make me wonder if we could conceivably see third party publishers release 'definitive versions' of their hit PS360 games for the Cafe at launch?

Perhaps in the same way Mass Effect for the PS3 was released with all the previous DLC etc already packed on the disc could we see titles like Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3 optimised and packed with all DLC for Cafe?

While Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 are just examples it does make sense to try and attract the 'Wii only audience' who may not have had a chance to play them.

Massa

Andrex said:
Let's be real here. Wii + Nunchuk already costs $60. Add MotionPlus to it and you're already topping that.

Motion+ is free now with the controller. It was also widely available with almost any game that required it, personally I got the two I needed with game purchases.

SeanR1221

I don't know why some of you guys think it can just get some ports of current gen games and be ok.

I mean, having Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, BioShock, etc. will be nice for Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo systems, but it's not like the regular horde of people who usually buy these games will just jump ship for ports. Makes no sense.

It needs to have the NEW third party games and make them look significantly better.

Raide

Busty said:
Seeing as this console will be closer to the PS360 in terms of 'power' than a generational leap forward it does make me wonder if we could conceivably see third party publishers release 'definitive versions' of their hit PS360 games for the Cafe at launch?

Perhaps in the same way Mass Effect for the PS3 was released with all the previous DLC etc already packed on the disc could we see titles like Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3 optimised and packed with all DLC for Cafe?

While Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 are just examples it does make sense to try and attract the 'Wii only audience' who may not have had a chance to play them.

It certainly could happen, depending on how user-friendly the console is for Developers to make ports.

SeanR1221 said:
I don't know why some of you guys think it can just get some ports of current gen games and be ok.

I mean, having Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, BioShock, etc. will be nice for Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo systems, but it's not like the regular horde of people who usually buy these games will just jump ship for ports. Makes no sense.

It needs to have the NEW third party games and make them look significantly better.

Well, an R700 would make them look more than significantly better, but that depends on how developers use the system.

Busty said:

I don't think anybody has played battlefield 3 outside of PR gatherings. But you forget that the PC versions of these games are the definitive versions.

The stream might get direct x11 crysis 2 and games closer to pc versions, sure.

Michan

Busty said:

I'm sure we'll get many tests once again, and sloppy ports of "last"-gen's niche titles will probably make up a large chunk of them.

Utako

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Which is in keeping with their DNA. It doesn't really alter anything else. 1080P can still be done for single-player. Even at 1080P on a traditional system, splitting a HDTV into 4 gives each player a much smaller resolution box than that. So 800*500 doesn't really mean anything. It's actually a better resolution for 4 player local.
Do you know maths?

1080p/4 = 960x540 > 800x500

Door2Dawn

Banned
Busty said:

And we know this how?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Andrex said:

To be fair, almost everybody who knew anything about Nintendo called it. :p

So basically Nintendo has confirmed it's existence and that's it? no other information so far.

Good enough for me! :) So excited.

BTW, that WiiHHrumor leaked pic of the console looks kinda real.

Can I post it here?

edit: nm been posted. I kinda like it though....

SeanR1221

AceBandage said:
Well, an R700 would make them look more than significantly better, but that depends on how developers use the system.

Exactly. Nintendo needs to have a pull for third party developers. Remember how launch 360 games looked? Stuff like Tony Hawk and Gun? You don't want this to happen to Cafe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized that with each controller having its own screen, Nintendo can do away with the four-player cap most often pushed in games today.

8-player Smash here we go!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Busty said:

Just give me Bayonetta and Vanquish at 1080p/60fps and I'll be a happy man.

FK in the Cafe, Deadly Premonition please as a 20 dollar launch title...day 1 :D

Also I need that Horsebag-peripheral, make it so Nintendo.

Third party support will be the thing for me that Nintendo needs to convince me on, especially the online service. If the online service is not up to par with PS3/360 in terms of accessibility (yeah insert PSN lol here) and functions I'm bust and will only use it for first party titles, kinda like with Wii right now.

Although on second thought that seems good enough to me. If Pikmin 3 is not a launch title I'm very disappointed, where the fuck did it go?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Amazing news. Nintendo keeps one step ahead of everyone else.
However, much like others on this board, I am not confident in purchasing the next console Nintendo has to offer. Based purely, on their now shifted customer base, which they have demonstrated to make a priority ( as they logically should) over the past few years. They have more people to cater to now, and this group of people doesn't align with the hardcore base, in terms of customer needs.

Very interested as to how the other parties will deal with this.
Will MS decide to announce their new console prematurely, in an effort to undermine Nintendo?
Will Apple, announce to play for a bigger slice of the pie?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I really can't see the console being as large as the Xbox 360. I think that would be a huge mistake. I think a console, slightly more powerful than the PS3, around the same size as the Wii with low power consumption ( 2012 = 22nm?) and just as quiet as the Wii would be very successful.

Either way, I wonder how the stocks have opened up today based on the news of faltering Wii sales. It will be interesting to see if investors are selling before a report on 3DS sales has been made public.

dankir

So I just got into work now and reading the meeting summary, any meltdowns on here now that it's confirmed to be shown and playable at e3?

GET HYPE!!

Michan

Andrex said:
Just realized that with each controller having its own screen, Nintendo can do away with the four-player cap most often pushed in games today.

8-player Smash here we go!
Will make sense if they go the route of 5+ player games, since many casual Wii games (such as Wii Sports and Mario Kart) are often played by more than four people taking turns.

SeanR1221 said:

Looking better isn't enough. No one* is going to switch from PS3 or 360 to Cafe simply for prettier, shinier, 60fps versions of the same games they can play on the console they already own, especially when so much of that crowd is already invested in the almost certainly superior PSN and XBL online communities. Cafe needs exclusive third party content to cultivate an audience for core gaming larger than the Nintendo fanbase, or it'll risk repeating GameCube's third-party failure after its first year or so: the system will be powerful enough for any multiplatform title, but most third parties won't bother due to how badly ports sell.

*Not literally "no one," of course, but certainly not enough to build a viable audience for third party core games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Laurent said:
Of course the controllers screen will be another “experience 3D without glasses” right?

Probably not. Economically infeasible and they don't want to intrude on 3DS's turf.

Michan

Door2Dawn said:
No we can't
Well, it would have been an extremely lucky guess as to what the codename was. It doesn't fit with anything Nintendo's ever done. The information, which was coupled with details of "a tablet-based controller" and "power similar to Xbox 360," has to have come from an inside source.

Laurent said:
Of course the controllers screen will be another “experience 3D without glasses” right?
They don't want to steal away the 3DS' key selling point. Expect that (or something along those lines, if it is successful) in Wii 3, just as we're getting "dual screen" in Wii 2 and have gyro in 3DS.

Laurent said:
Maybe that is their BIG secret that was mention in the rumors. i also wouldn't be suprised if the console streamed video to the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom