• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GregLombardi said:
This is a very interesting question. But in all the official information and the leaks, we have received no information that demonstrates this.

What we can say, and some have said I think, is that Nintendo loves bundling the Wiimote with games. The "Wii 2" can obviously listen to motion input via a variety of methods, but that doesn't mean it has to come packaged with a Wiimote. Nintendo's strategy on this point is very unclear.
On one hand, I can't see Nintendo outright dismissing motion controls. On the other, I can't see them packaging several different controllers in one box either. And I can't see devs supporting all of these controllers at once all that well.

Man, I didn't see any of this coming.

Busty said:
Sight unseen you are correct. But logically this just seems wishful thinking from Nintendo fans.

Can you honestly say that Nintendo abandoning it's 'Wii philosophy' and re-entering the 'tech arms race' with an expensive, high end machine seems at all likely?
Can you honestly say that Nintendo abandoning the Wiimote controller design seems likely?

The recent announcements are nice to know, but I wonder if gaf can avoid eating itself alive until E3. People are already saying that the thing will only be as powerful as a 360 when the GPU alone is more powerful than the 360 GPU by a fair amount(even the weakest in the R700 family is at LEAST on par with it when unoptimized). It's also hilarious that people expect the thing to sit at just 512MB total RAM when the PS3 and 360 are already experiencing bottlenecks with outdated CPU and GPU tech.

This is going to be a painful wait...
EatChildren said:
You got me this time lol...

I just hope that they reveal something at the 4AM stream. A tiny morsel would be enough at this point.

Busty said:
Sight unseen you are correct. But logically this just seems wishful thinking from Nintendo fans.

Can you honestly say that Nintendo abandoning it's 'Wii philosophy' and re-entering the 'tech arms race' with an expensive, high end machine seems at all likely?
It depends what Nintendo has "discovered", if anything.

Kusagari said:
I really hope the launch isn't just 360/PS3 ports I've already played.
I think we will see a lot of ports for launch with minimum if at all upgrades (based off of Ubisoft dev rumors). However, I think we will see some beautiful looking Nintendo games to offset that.

I kind of hope that Epic will display a scaled-down, optimized Unreal Engine 3.9999 "Samaritan" demo on the system at E3, but I seriously doubt it.

Busty said:

Can anyone honestly think that they are releasing a console that overlaps funcionality with their own 3ds ??? and even more... can anyone honestly think that they are releasing a console based on iPad?

Is it feasible that Nintendo aren't happy with the way things went with the Wii? Apart from all the money, I mean. Is it sustainable to follow suit, business-wise?

Busty said:

Well they went from a machine "all about the games" to the Wii, all reports suggest that they are aiming for a different market from the Wii & people who seem to know what they are talking about suggest that it would be tricky to make a console with less power than the 360/PS3 at this moment in time. What Sony & MS do next is unknown, but there would have to be some fairly brave people willing to take as much of a hit on their HW as they did this gen.

Michan

GregLombardi said:
By the way just because I was amazed at the speed of this thread and the last one, I checked the post counts!

Coupled with the last Wii 2 thread, the Wii 2 reveal has created (unless I'm missing something) the thread with the most posts ever on NeoGaf.

Disturbing! And we don't even have pictures of the console or controller yet!
Not quite yet. ~19,000 posts. The Rock Band OT holds the crown, with 140,079 posts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Michan said:
Not quite yet. ~19,000 posts. The Rock Band OT holds the crown, with 140,079 posts.

I think the Brawl thread is actually the largest ever, but nothing will ever break the records because we now end threads after 20k.

Interfectum

I'll wait till E3 before forming an opinion but right now I'm not seeing the point of streaming content to portable controllers while having a similar product that could possibly do the same thing over wifi/LAN (3DS).

So basically this will be something like... little Johnny wants to play Mario on the Cafe while little Sally wants to play Zelda. So they can grab their controllers and individually stream the game they want to their controller. Isn't that, like, what portable game systems accomplish now?

Wolves Evolve said:
Is it feasible that Nintendo aren't happy with the way things went with the Wii? Apart from all the money, I mean. Is it sustainable to follow suit, business-wise?
I think they are smart enough to realize that the Wii model isn't sustainable in the future. In order to survive in the HD console arena 3rd party support is a necessity, and I think Nintendo is starting to realize that.

SolarPowered said:
The recent announcements are nice to know, but I wonder if gaf can avoid eating itself alive until E3. People are already saying that the thing will only be as powerful as a 360 when the GPU alone is more powerful than the 360 GPU by a fair amount(even the weakest in the R700 family is at LEAST on par with it when unoptimized). It's also hilarious that people expect the thing to sit at just 512MB total RAM when the PS3 and 360 are already experiencing bottlenecks with outdated CPU and GPU tech.

This is going to be a painful wait...

You got me this time lol...

I just hope that they reveal something at the 4AM stream. A tiny morsel would be enough at this point.

The real question is if devs will take advantage of the "extra" power of the CPU/GPU. I doubt it for launch. However, we might see much better looking games in the second year other than Nintendo.

Stumpokapow said:
I think the Brawl thread is actually the largest ever, but nothing will ever break the records because we now end threads after 20k.
Really? I guess those threads must be archived. How could the brawl thread have possibly topped 140k posts?

Is it just me or does it seem like an awfully easy thing for Sony to replicate, especially if the controllers come in over $100 and NGP is two years old by the time PS4 is out.

Michan

The_Darkest_Red said:
Can you honestly say that Nintendo abandoning the Wiimote controller design seems likely?
Of course. Kinect and iPad are two completely new approaches that encourage non-gamers to play, and are both doing quite well. As Wii reaches saturation point, Nintendo will inevitably try their next approach.

Moobabe

Maybe I'm missing something (I probably am) but why would Nintendo releases a console which is 'similar' in terms of power to the 360/PS3? If it releases at $350 won't MS and Sony just reduce the prices of their consoles and make the Cafe/Wii2 or whatever look like a huge waste of money?

Kusagari

GregLombardi said:
Really? I guess those threads must be archived. How could the brawl thread have possibly topped 140k posts?

Brawl was probably the most ridiculously hyped game in the history of GAF because of the dojo updates every week.

GregLombardi said:

Daily updates, wild conjecture about everything that could possibly be in the game, it was awesome( worth looking at it in the archive)

wsippel

Banned
Michan said:
It was reported inline with the codename, so we can pretty much expect all of the rumours from the original article to be fact.
01net and IGN both reported the codename, and seem to have heard conflicting statements regarding the performance. In this case, I tend to believe IGN is closer to the truth, simply because they broke more rumors later confirmed by other sources.

Chuck Norris said:
Is it just me or does it seem like an awfully easy thing for Sony to replicate, especially if the controllers come in over $100 and NGP is two years old by the time PS4 is out.
Could be. Depends on the software.

While the Move is doing pretty damn well, it isn't making a demonstrative enough difference in the "console" race to change industry leadership. As such, it looks as though they failed in their replication of the Wii's central features: its software. It isn't that they failed to replicate the actual games, it is that they failed to replicate the Wii's perfect timing, adoption, etc. This is the one time they've failed to copy "Nintendo's" "innovations" fast enough for it to make a difference.

Michan

Stumpokapow said:
Do you mean the Japan time thread? Because that lags behind in third place, with 63,000 posts.

Laurent

Moobabe said:
Maybe I'm missing something (I probably am) but why would Nintendo releases a console which is 'similar' in terms of power to the 360/PS3? If it releases at $350 won't MS and Sony just reduce the prices of their consoles and make the Cafe/Wii2 or whatever look like a huge waste of money?
Microsoft and Sony are now barely making profit on hardware. Can they really afford releasing another piece of tech at a loss?

Chuck Norris said:
Well, I think Sony should push Remote Play regardless. I think they were limited only by RAM with that original PSP. They should be no limitation other than a certain type of motion control.

Michan said:
Of course. Kinect and iPad are two completely new approaches that encourage non-gamers to play, and are both doing quite well. As Wii reaches saturation point, Nintendo will inevitably try their next approach.
It's easy to say that now but how many people would have felt this way a few weeks ago? I agree that it makes sense for Nintendo to move in a different direction but many were saying Nintendo would have to be insane to abandon the "Wii brand" along with its iconic remote shaped controller and simple motion-driven games.

My point is that Nintendo is unpredictable. There are a few very distinct directions Nintendo can go with regards to power in their next console, and saying any of them is completely out of the question is jumping too quickly to conclusions, in my opinion.

Michan

wsippel said:
01net and IGN both reported the codename, and seem to have heard conflicting statements regarding the performance. In this case, I tend to believe IGN is closer to the truth, simply because they broke more rumors later confirmed by other sources.
IGN reported slightly later. I wouldn't trust them, if I were you.

Trilology

[Nintex]

GregLombardi said:
Before Brawl launched Sakurai had his own Super Smash Bros. Brawl hype dojo and he released info on a character, moves, item, level, feature etc every other day. He kept that up for almost a year untill the game was released.

Moobabe

Laurent said:
Microsoft and Sony are now barely making profit on hardware. Can they really afford releasing another piece of tech at a loss?

I'm not arguing that they release new tech - I mean reducing the price of both the 360 and PS3 at Café's launch. They both have HUGE libraries, existing userbases for online play and could be significantly cheaper than the new Nintendo console.

A.KU.MU

Banned

They removed the image so it must mean something.

MpMnt.gif

Moobabe said:
I'm not arguing that they release new tech - I mean reducing the price of both the 360 and PS3 at Café's launch. They both have HUGE libraries, existing userbases for online play and could be significantly cheaper than the new Nintendo console.
They could do that but it might eat into profits that they are currently making. If I were Sony, I would begin boasting RemotePlay capability for NGP.

brain_stew said:
No its not.
We need brain_stew to set people straight about the graphics capabailities.

Akai

Busty said:

I find it cute that anyone actually thinks Sony and MS will attempt the "tech arms race" again after how well that worked out for them financially...

Michan

The_Darkest_Red said:
It's easy to say that now but how many people would have felt this way a few weeks ago? I agree that it makes sense for Nintendo to move in a different direction but many were saying Nintendo would have to be insane to abandon the "Wii brand" along with its iconic remote shaped controller and simple motion-driven games.

My point is that Nintendo is unpredictable. There are a few very distinct directions Nintendo can go with regards to power in their next console, and saying any of them is completely out of the question is jumping too quickly to conclusions, in my opinion.
Probably many people, since Nintendo seems to have a history of doing irrationally different/"innovative" things with each hardware release.

3DS: 3d
Wii: Remote/motion sensing
DS: Two screens

Moobabe

thehillissilent said:
They could do that but it might eat into profits that they are currently making. If I were Sony, I would begin boasting RemotePlay capability for NGP.

How much are both 360 and PS3 in America currently? If Sony is turning a profit on hardware (which iirc it is) there's no reason to suggest that this time next year they couldn't lower the price again. Granted - it might eat into profit - but the damage it (coupled with a 360 price drop) could do to the momentum of a new console launch could be huge.

Michan said:
That is ridiculous...

Still, I always thought that the new Pokemon thread and Marvel would have given it a run for it's money if they had not been moved to the community section(I'm not protesting a mod's decision, but just stating what might have happened. The mods gotta do what they gotta do and I have no problem with that). I'm pretty sure that the Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Pokemon black/white threads were the fastest growing threads in the gaming side(at least as far as I can remember). The first MvC3 thread broke 20K in a little more than a week.

GregLombardi said:
It was a different time and BrawlGAF was insane.

Back on topic now...
thehillissilent said:
The real question is if devs will take advantage of the "extra" power of the CPU/GPU. I doubt it for launch. However, we might see much better looking games in the second year other than Nintendo.
We'll find out some info with playable games at E3, but I think we'll know for sure by December/January. Demos and betas will be near completion and more polished than anything shown at E3. They should have some stuff ready that nearly matches or matches the best offered on both HD consoles from the start in my opinion...
Moobabe said:
The Wii steamrolled the competition in terms of hardware numbers and would have continued to dominate if it's power were more comparable to that of it's rivals(unfortunately that lack of power crippled them on the software front and ate into their hardware numbers). There is no way the gulf between the Stream and the PS4/720 will ever be as large as the one between the Wii and PS3/360(unless MS and Sony release $599 behemoths). If that much is assured there is no reason for Nintendo to break the bank when something that easily surpasses the 360 and PS3 can be built rather cheaply now.

Michan said:
Probably many people, since Nintendo seems to have a history of doing irrationally different/"innovative" things with each hardware release.

A history which began with Iwata.

Before then, many times they were "chasing innovation" without catching up to it. To be fair though, didn't Yamauchi himself tell Nintendo to make the DS two screens, and then Iwata became the champion of change / innovation / game design that brought it home?

Laurent

Moobabe said:
I'm saying that Microsoft and Sony's next hardware won't have a huge technological gap compared to what they currently offers. They might think of a way to innovate differently.

Elios83

Really looking forward to see this at E3.
I find interesting that rumors point to a controller with a traditional handling, not dual hands like the Wii.
It might change the experience quite a bit, basically the Cafe could a bit a home version of the DS.

Michan said:

We're on the same side here so I'm not going to argue against you, I'm just saying that a lot of people were predicting that the Wii 2 would essentially be an HD Wii with a more advanced version of the Wiimote. The point of my post was that Nintendo is unpredictable.

Michan

Moobabe said:
How much are both 360 and PS3 in America currently? If Sony is turning a profit on hardware (which iirc it is) there's no reason to suggest that this time next year they couldn't lower the price again. Granted - it might eat into profit - but the damage it (coupled with a 360 price drop) could do to the momentum of a new console launch could be huge.
I doubt PS3 would do any damage to a Wii 2 hardware launch, no matter what Sony did. PS3 hasn't really established itself as a "family-friendly" device, unlike Wii or Kinect.

A Kinect/360 push, however, could indeed be quite damaging.

Moobabe

SolarPowered said:
The Wii steamrolled the competition in terms of hardware numbers and would have continued to dominate if it's power were more comparable to that of it's rivals(unfortunately that lack of power crippled them on the software front and ate into their hardware numbers). There is no way the gulf between the Stream and the PS4/720 will ever be as large as the one between the Wii and PS3/360(unless MS and Sony release $599 behemoths). If that much is assured there is no reason for Nintendo to break the bank when something that easily surpasses the 360 and PS3 can be built rather cheaply now.

Hasn't the Wii been significantly cheaper than both the PS3 and 360 throughout most of it's lifespan? I'm not suggesting that's the main reason behind it's success but it's certainly a factor.

Laurent

GregLombardi said:
A history which began with Iwata.

Before then, many times they were "chasing innovation" without catching up to it. To be fair though, didn't Yamauchi himself tell Nintendo to make the DS two screens, and then Iwata became the champion of change / innovation / game design that brought it home?
Game & Watch never existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom