• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadowlink said:
Someone probably mentioned this before, but has anyone thought of the idea of the controller opening and closing up. For example, the controller would close up to be a normal controller, but when opening it up, it would have the screen kinda like a flip phone, or a flat box.
Lupin the Wolf said:
If a touch screen were on the top half of a flipping device like that, it would probably not be very stable. That is, you'd press it just a little too hard and you could break it. Unless you engineered the crap out of it, which you'd think they would've already done on a DS system, which does flip open like that.
Nah, it´s doable. Nintendo was even considering for the 3DS but 3D and touch didn't play nice. Infact a clamshell its the only way i could think NIntendo can keep the control size reasonable.

I even came with an horrible mock up of a clamshell controller that retains the form factor of a tablet and traditional controler. A t3000 cell phone was very similar to what i had in mind.
Shadowlink said:
Oh! Didn't read into many of the controller rumors. Tablet would be pretty weird for a controller, but I guess we'll find out what they mean by tablet if rumors are indeed true.
That´s the thing that gets me. Coming with a tablet and slap some gaming buttons is lazy design wise and not very catchy/techy or cool.
get2sammyb said:
If a DualShock 3 costs $50 (and I know there's a bit of price gouging to be factored into that), surely we're looking at $75-$100 for a controller that's -- at the very least -- a DualShock with a touch-screen on it.

Doesn't that strike you guys as a little bit crazy?
At one point a full featured Wii controller costed 80 U.S. It's that a bit crazy for you? :D
140.85 said:
Going to sell my Wii.

What are the chances of this not being backwards compatible? I think none.
Except developers are realizing they can sell you the same game yet again with a resolution increase or with some extra features. So not much point in full hardware back comp like in the past.

Hiltz

I'm just expecting Nintendo to confirm the console's existence at the meeting. Save the big reveal for E3 so Reggie can kick ass and take names like last year.

mrwilt

Elios83 said:
Doesn't that look the same of....:

windows-7-box-art.jpg

Powered by Windows CE. It is the Dreamcast2!

watershed

Banned
Has anybody linked Iwata's comments? He doesn't say much but it might be good to add to the OP so everybody doesn't keep asking if he's said anything insightful. Relevant quotes after the link:
http://wiihdrumors.com/project-cafe...-of-playing-games-within-the-home-says-iwata/

I think the most interesting part is: "but it will offer a new way of playing games within the home." Meaning no the controller won't be a portable you take to the cafe, or out of the house at all.

Hiltz said:
I'm just expecting Nintendo to confirm the console's existence at the meeting. Save the big reveal for E3 so Reggie can kick ass and take names like last year.

but Nintendo already confirmed it's existance. and they already confirmed the big reveal for E3. :p

artwalknoon said:
Has anybody linked Iwata's comments? He doesn't say much but it might be good to add to the OP so everybody doesn't keep asking if he's said anything insightful. Relevant quotes after the link:
http://wiihdrumors.com/project-cafe...-of-playing-games-within-the-home-says-iwata/

I think the most interesting part is: "but it will offer a new way of playing games within the home." Meaning no the controller won't be a portable you take to the cafe, or out of the house at all.

remember when he said you will look at wii graphics and say wow????

What if Nintendo installs the console around major cities almost like Wi-Fi access points? You could take the controller with you like a handheld and stream games to it connecting to the Cafe access points lol

wsippel

Banned
I'm beginning to wonder, was this a general statement or did Mark Rein already know about Cafe at this years GDC:

The second Nintendo releases a piece of hardware that can run our engine well, we'll be on it like water on fish. There's nothing against Nintendo. I hate that people somehow think that's the case.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/mark-rein-if-3ds-could-deliver-unreal-engine-3-wed-be-on-it/

I guess it was both. Still, IGN's Fran Mirabella said there was some talk regarding Cafe at GDC, and considering Epics importance, I would be rather surprised if Nintendo didn't talk to them back then. Of course, rumors suggest Cafe could easily run UE3, anyway.

Hiltz

Console officially confirmed by IGN !

Nintendo Japan tonight confirmed it will release a new game console in calendar year 2012. It will be announced and playable at E3 this coming June.

"We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles," the company said in a brief statement. Nintendo did not reveal any additional details.

Multiple sources tell IGN the console - dubbed Project Cafe - will be "significantly more powerful" than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and be backwards compatible with current Wii software. The console will also utilize a new, tablet-shaped controller. Sources say it will have a 6-inch touch screen display, dual analog sticks, and has the ability to stream content directly from the console.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

ElRenoRaven

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
What if Nintendo installs the console around major cities almost like Wi-Fi access points? You could take the controller with you like a handheld and stream games to it connecting to the Cafe access points lol

That so would never happen. lol

And I have to say it's great to hear that it's official now and confirmed to be shown and playable at E3. I honestly can't wait for E3 now.

Hiltz said:

Nintendo Japan tonight confirmed it will release a new game console in calendar year 2012. It will be announced and playable at E3 this coming June.

"We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles," the company said in a brief statement. Nintendo did not reveal any additional details.

Multiple sources tell IGN the console - dubbed Project Cafe - will be "significantly more powerful" than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and be backwards compatible with current Wii software. The console will also utilize a new, tablet-shaped controller. Sources say it will have a 6-inch touch screen display, dual analog sticks, and has the ability to stream content directly from the console.

at least they are back to the stream content mention, not the stream games one..

Michan said:
Why won't people stop posting this?

Has it been shown that it isn't real, for arguments sake? I heard this a lot about the pencil sketched image as well, I never saw the evidence that it was fake however.

Michan

Hiltz said:

Thank goodness IGN confirmed Nintendo's announcement to be real!

TheHeretic said:
Has it been shown that it isn't real, for arguments sake? I heard this a lot about the pencil sketched image as well, I never saw the evidence that it was fake however.
Yes. The proof is in the typography. I can't be bothered to dig it up, as this mockup isn't worth anybody's time.

wsippel said:
I'm beginning to wonder, was this a general statement or did Mark Rein already know about Cafe at this years GDC:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/mark-rein-if-3ds-could-deliver-unreal-engine-3-wed-be-on-it/

I guess it was both. Still, IGN's Fran Mirabella said there was some talk regarding Cafe at GDC, and considering Epics importance, I would be rather surprised if Nintendo didn't talk to them back then. Of course, rumors suggest Cafe could easily run UE3, anyway.

I expect Nintendo to have talked with Epic personally by now. I do think it's entirely possible to see an Epic game at E3. sounds absurd but, completely possible

IGN is really sticking to their "significantly more powerful" statement...I hope they are right about that, especially since this thing isn't coming out for another year.

Michan

MadraptorMan said:
IGN is really sticking to their "significantly more powerful" statement...I hope they are right about that, especially since this thing isn't coming out for another year.
Metal Gear Solid: Triology will be a launch title, confirmed by IGN.

wsippel

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Wrong font in the slides. The supposed console has no power cable connected, yet the LED at the front is glowing. It doesn't even seem to have a power connector. Also, judging by the size of the connectors on the back, it would be roughly 1 meter tall.

wrowa

DieH@rd said:
http://wiihdrumors.davidturnbull.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Leaked-1.jpg[/mg]
[img]http://wiihdrumors.davidturnbull.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Leaked-2.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
These pics should be a bannable offense by now.

[QUOTE=Hiltz]Console officially confirmed by IGN ![/QUOTE]
It's one thing if you don't want to read the OP, but at least read the [i]thread title[/i].

Kusagari

MadraptorMan said:

Maybe this will be the system that the mature Kid Icarus shows up on!

MadraptorMan said:
Ign is probably right going by the rumored gpu and the likely cpu. Whether that translates to significantly better graphical fidelity and image quality is anyone's guess.

wsippel said:
Wrong font in the slides. The supposed console has no power cable connected, yet the LED at the front is glowing. It doesn't even seem to have a power connector. Also, judging by the size of the connectors on the back, it would be roughly 1 meter tall.

And we'd all be giants considering the chairs and the table if so.

1-D_FTW

Hiltz said:

New threads for new news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom