• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerg

Michan said:
Has anybody discovered the significance of the "Cafe" codename yet, or did we get as far as integrated coffee dispenser and stop?

What was the significance of "Dolphin"?

GC|Simon said:
Okay, thanks. Someone posted that the investor meeting is 3 am Eastern Time. However, since ther won't be a live stream / ticker or something like this (at least I think so), we will have to wait a couple of more hours. And we do not know, if there will be anything interesting...

actually, there will be a live stream

apana

Relix said:
Meh why not. SS in beautiful 1080p, 60FPS, with hopefully HD Textures. At least. Maybe some AA. Disc streaming so no loading.

Fuck awesome.

How do you know all Zelda fans will want to buy the console. What if it sucks or is $399? We shouldn't have to wait at all considering we have already been so patient.

FoneBone

Father_Brain said:
Did anyone ever believe that that was anything other than PR-speak for "We're not ready to talk about the next console yet, we have a timeframe in mind for that, and we'll reveal it in that timeframe regardless of whether or not Wii has actually sold 45 million units in the US?"
Yep. First page of that thread:

Sadist said:
Well, Reggie wouldn't talk about a DS successor at the beginning of 2010 because it performed so well in 2009. "It broke another record" was the argument. Two months later...

All i need is

A traditional controller
MarioHD
ZeldaHD
PikminHD
StarfoxHD

And im sold. I had a GC last gen and ninty disappointed me with the wii. I hope i'll have a Cafe/PS4 next gen.

Oh, you guys do know FFVS13 will be announced at E3 for cafe right? :]

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
[Nintex] said:
That's what he said yes but investors are probably going to grill him because Nintendo's income went down 52%

Ah very true. Though I'm not going to stay up tonight for it now considering we will probably get hints at most.

So I'll enjoy any new info with my cup of coffee in the morning.
;)

Mr_Brit

Banned
EatChildren said:
So, assuming IGN are on the money with this system being backwards compatable with Wii software, what are we betting on?

Emulated up to higher resolutions? Or upscaled?

For what it's worth, the 3DS upscales.
Like every system that has been released or will be released it will upscale, no console will ever render games at a higher resolution.

Zebra

I would have figured that in a forum full of gamers that we could recognize CG when we see it. That mock-up is crazy fake, folks.

Or are we talking about just the design being real, and the mockup being a representation of what the actual product will look like?

Gilby

Zebra said:
I would have figured that in a forum full of gamers that we could recognize CG when we see it. That mock-up is crazy fake, folks.

Or are we talking about just the design being real, and the mockup being a representation of what the actual product will look like?

I think you need to think about what "mock-up" means.

Busty

Banned
Michan said:
Has anybody discovered the significance of the "Cafe" codename yet, or did we get as far as integrated coffee dispenser and stop?

Considering the Wii was codenamed Revolution (and it's controller was indeed a revolution) the codename CAFE suggests a more social, collective gaming experience to me.

And these controllers which can act 'individually' could suggest that. People getting together to play games in a more social...., uh, grouped way. While eating carrot cake and listening to soft jazz.

joedick

Are people still expecting big info for the investor's meeting? Now that the console has been announced, I don't think much will come out of it. I'm guessing you guys haven't read any of the past q&as...Iwata's not afraid to give really general answers and follow up with 'sorry, I can't go in to detail about that'.

Stay up at your own risk!

Well... I hope they allow us to use our 3DS as extra controllers... sure, the screen won't be as big as the Cafe controller, but everyone with a 3DS (friends, cousins, etc.) can bring their 3DS and use them as controllers.

[Nintex]

If Wii2 is 2012 than Skyward Sword will hit this holiday season on Wii. The game is pretty much build for the Wii Remote+(motion plus). We could still see a better version on Wii2 down the line but I think it'll be the holiday showcase title for Wii, it's like the last game they've left next to some Japanese stuff NOA and NoE are sitting on and Kirby.

farnham

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
All i need is

A traditional controller
MarioHD
ZeldaHD
PikminHD
StarfoxHD

And im sold. I had a GC last gen and ninty disappointed me with the wii. I hope i'll have a Cafe/PS4 next gen.

Oh, you guys do know FFVS13 will be announced at E3 for cafe right? :]
you really want pikmin with GC controlls over the wii controlls

wow

Heavyarms2050 said:
bluray = sony's property?

If this was the case, why would competitors use their competitors' products?

Sony is part of the Blu-Ray group. they don't own it themselves. shit, Sony was part of the DVD group and yet Nintendo didn't pay royalties due to not using their format.

Michan

ksamedi said:
Uuh, a lot of the rumors are coming from IGN, the backwards compatibility aspect is just one of them.
Like the rumour of it being significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3? Because yes, that is coming from IGN. The others are not; they are just reiterating them.

You don't have to be a private investigator to guess something as obvious as backwards compatibility.

I'm going to guess that it also has online functionality of some variety. And buttons on the controller. Oh, and audio. Beat that.

Heavyarms2050 said:

It's not Sony's property.

Anyhow, the 'cafe' moniker and what we've heard so far makes me think that Nintendo is designing a console to focus quite specifically on the Monster Hunter multiplayer type of experience. It's pretty clear that the controller won't be a standalone handheld, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if it still holds save data and is perfectly easy to bring to a friend's house and sync with their Cafe without any issues. There could be some very simple and compelling ways to take advantage of this.

FoneBone

Skiesofwonder said:
Are we expecting any more information (on Cafe') at this Investor Meeting?
I expect some more discussion in vague terms from Iwata, but I don't expect anything substantive. Certainly not official media (of games or the hardware).

From The Dust said:
Cafe tells me that it will make coffee. machine of the future people
etkMb.jpg

PS3+WiiCafe meal supremacy

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
apana said:
How do you know all Zelda fans will want to buy the console. What if it sucks or is $399? We shouldn't have to wait at all considering we have already been so patient.

Not like Zelda games sell 10+ million copies. Look at TP.. did great as a launch Wii game. I bought a Wii for TP even if I could get the GCN edition. Would do it again, and I am sure the more hardcore fans will do it too.

Can always have a Wii version!

thefro said:
When has Nintendo ever used a codename for the final name of a product?

I remember people wanted REVOLUTION for Wii. hah!

joedick

Michan said:
Like the rumour of it being significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3? Because yes, that is coming from IGN. The others are not; they are just reiterating them.

You don't have to be a private investigator to guess something as obvious as backwards compatibility.

I'm going to guess that it also has online functionality of some variety. And buttons on the controller. Oh, and audio. Beat that.

IGN's broken a lot more info than that. Time will tell if they're right.

LosDaddie

Banned
From The Dust said:
or you can just buy one and get the Wii games you missed. who says backlog is a bad thing?

I do. :p I try to keep my backlog as small as possible. But I guess I was just realizing that I haven't finished SMG1 yet, and the Wii 2 is already coming. :lol

banKai said:
And what is so bad about this? Enjoy the rest of the Wii games and then move on when you feel comfortable. You will probably get a good deal on Cafe software and the console itself..

Yeah, thinking about it now, I may hold off a year on buying the Wii 2. Might snag a nice Holiday bundle by waiting a year too. I dunno, I guess I just always assumed I'd be buying any new Nintendo console at launch.

jmdajr said:
feel the same. I hardly have enough time to play the other two.

Yup, that's where I'm at too. Very busy with the HD twins. Still, I'm excited to see what Nintendo has to show at E3.

Michan

Heavyarms2050 said:

They won't use it, but not because Sony is part of the blu-ray consortium. They won't use it because it is expensive. Nintendo are cheapasses.

ShaneB

Ugh... I hate to get excited knowing my Wii collects dust, but it's hard to not get excited for a new Nintendo console. Will be fun to see the reveals.

Michan

joedick said:
IGN's broken a lot more info than that. Time will tell if they're right.
All they are breaking is the hearts of poor gamers who are expecting this console to be significantly more powerful than the PS3.

[Nintex]

From The Dust said:
Sony is part of the Blu-Ray group. they don't own it themselves. shit, Sony was part of the DVD group and yet Nintendo didn't pay royalties due to not using their format.
Not to mention that as soon as there is real profit to be made on 'so who of us really owns Blu-Ray?' royalties the members of team Blu-Ray will sue eachother to shit.

joedick

ShaneB said:
Ugh... I hate to get excited knowing my Wii collects dust, but it's hard to not get excited for a new Nintendo console. Will be fun to see the reveals.

The Wii had a pretty great library of games. Just not as many AAA titles as the HD consoles. Depends what you're into, I guess.

apana

Relix said:
Not like Zelda games sell 10+ million copies. Look at TP.. did great as a launch Wii game. I bought a Wii for TP even if I could get the GCN edition. Would do it again, and I am sure the more hardcore fans will do it too.

Can always have a Wii version!

I remember people wanted REVOLUTION for Wii. hah!

There was a specific reason for that. Everyone wanted to try out Zelda with the wii remote, it wasn't just because Nintendo had released a new console.

Heavyarms2050 said:

Its not only sony. A bunch of manufacturers are invested in bluray.

Check out the BDA

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/association/GeneralInfo.html

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/about/SupportingCompanies.html

In 2005, the Blu-ray Disc Founders announced the creation of the Blu-ray Disc Association. The Blu-ray Disc Association, or BDA, re-incorporates the Blu-Ray Disc Founders group, but is now a voluntary membership group open to any corporation or organization with an interest in creating, upholding and/or promoting the BD formats. Those organizations engaged in research, development and/or manufacturing of any BD products or interested in developing and improving the BD formats are also encouraged to pursue membership. Furthermore, the group welcomes any company wanting to learn more about the format as it evolves.

But yeah, i doubt nintendo will use it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
apana said:
There was a specific reason for that. Everyone wanted to try out Zelda with the wii remote, it wasn't just because Nintendo had released a new console.

People will want to play Zelda in HD now ;-).

I do believe SS will be for Wii only. I mean... Motion Plus implementation, etc.

JaseMath

RPGCrazied said:
I hope they use Stream, or something else. Codename Cafe is awful.
Of course they won't. If it's anything like the pseudonym's of the past, it's hinting at what we can expect from the console.

apana said:

Perhaps TP for many was a game to justify spending big money to buy another console?

Go_Ly_Dow

Posted?

Iwata Discusses Wii 2 at Earnings Briefing

3D not a focus for the system, says CEO. System being released because developers having hard time delivering surprises on Wii.

In its announcement earlier today, Nintendo stated that it had not included sales of the Wii successor in its earnings forecasts for the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2012. You might have guessed that this means a release for the system after that date. This is the case, Iwata confirmed during the press conference. The Wii 2 will not arrive until after April 2012.

Full article here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/25/iwata_on_wii_2/

I just wish they would make a Zelda game that was current enough to not be overshadowed by newer hardware the day it was released. It's seriously getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom