• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxrunner

Corky said:
their controllers are as badly designed as they come from an ergonomic standpoint.
The nes, n64, gamecube.

I can still feel the edges of the nes controller ripping into my flesh.

they're just the best controllers made....at least for me....the MS are the worst....

Busty

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Of course they won't. If it's anything like the pseudonym's of the past, it's hinting at what we can expect from the console.

That's my point and what exactly about the word Cafe suggests a powerful machine that's going to appeal to the 'hardcore gamers'?

To me Cafe sounds like a word that is aimed squarely at the WiiFit audience, but maybe that's just me.

Michan said:
They won't use it, but not because Sony is part of the blu-ray consortium. They won't use it because it is expensive. Nintendo are cheapasses.

Bluray would be the cheapest satisfactory solution available. A 4x drive (that's twice the speed of PS3's drive) is $50 retail.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
My only concern is that they'll drop the remote style controller. I want to play more games that use motion control like Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort. Traditional controls are fine for some genres, but I hope Nintendo doesn't cave in to the neckbeards who were too slobbish to even attempt to use motion controls. Hopefully they will continue supporting the Wii Remote. With the 3DS they've tried to provide as many control inputs as possible, and I hope they do the same with the Cafe.

thefro

Michan said:
All they are breaking is the hearts of poor gamers who are expecting this console to be significantly more powerful than the PS3.

How's it going to stream games to 4 800x500 controllers at once without being significantly more powerful?

KrawlMan

From The Dust said:
but then SS will be delayed to 2012! D:

Not saying I want SS on the "Stream" console cause I'd rather they put their efforts elsewhere (like a game designed with "Stream" in mind), but didn't they say they were going to push for SS to release the "early 2011", with the possibility of pushing it to late 2010?

Aonuma said:
The basis we have now is very, very solid...Early 2011 -- that is what we're aiming for.

I might just be out of the loop, but I find it odd that that's the last that was said about its progress and release date. Here we are coming up on June and still no actual release date in sight. Either they weren't as far along as anticipated or they decided to shift gears to Wii 2 / Stream internally.

Hiro

Banned
thefro said:
How's it going to stream games to 4 800x500 controllers at once without being significantly more powerful?

It has not been established or confirmed that it isn't significantly more powerful than the PS360.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
M_Night said:
Interesting. Seems like the June 2012 date is right on the money.
If it's playable at E3 and IGN are right about finished units being stockpiled from the end of this year, I can't see them holding out much longer than that.

Ushojax said:
My only concern is that they'll drop the remote style controller. I want to play more games that use motion control like Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort. Traditional controls are fine for some genres, but I hope Nintendo doesn't cave in to the neckbeards who were too slobbish to even attempt to use motion controls. Hopefully they will continue supporting the Wii Remote. With the 3DS they've tried to provide as many control inputs as possible, and I hope they do the same with the Cafe.
Me too, but if they make screen streaming a big priority, the Wii remote will be abandoned. : /

Jethro

Ushojax said:
My only concern is that they'll drop the remote style controller. I want to play more games that use motion control like Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort. .

And especially FPS. I never want to go back to Dual Archaic.

brain_stew said:
Bluray would be the cheapest satisfactory solution available. A 4x drive (that's twice the speed of PS3's drive) is $50 retail.
I realy realy hope they use bluray. I have not bought player yet. I hope they put it.

Jethro said:
And especially FPS. I never want to go back to Dual Archaic.

so so true. COD is blast on wii

Like some of you people have said... if the console is going to be able to stream video to four controllers and an HDTV, the console needs to be fairly more powerful than the PS3.

Maybe a dual GPU?

Hiro

Banned
If it won't be sold and released until June 2012 or later, then I wonder why Foxconn would manufacture and produce all these units and have them ready by October or November, only to sit around for over 8 months wasteing space.

LosDaddie

Banned
crazy monkey said:
I realy realy hope they use bluray. I have not bought player yet. I hope they put it.

Me too.

Maybe Nintendo could do the same thing as with DVD and the Wii; A BR drive that can't play movies. Only games.

[Nintex]

crazy monkey said:
You can count on Nintendo to make sure that in some way it cannot and will never play Blu-Ray movies. If it saves them $0.1 on some MP3/Dolby Digital royalties or some shit they won't include it.

Hiro said:
If it won't be sold and released until June 2012 or later, then I wonder why Foxconn would manufacture and produce all these units and have them ready by October or November, only to sit around for over 8 months wasteing space.
IGN messed up or Nintendo needs to have software and enough supply ready to make big splash. Sitting on $350 consoles for too long seems crazy looking at their latest financial results.

crazy monkey said:
i
this is nintendo we're talking about even if they do put in blu-ray the chances of it actually playing blu-ray movies is a stretch.

Busty

Banned
thefro said:

Depends on the kind of games it's streaming. Who says it has to be something like MGS4?It could be 'smaller' games like Angry Birds.

Hiro said:
It has not been established or confirmed that it isn't significantly more powerful than the PS360.

I think it's going to be more powerful than the PS360 but the question is how much more powerful? Would (for example) 20% be significant enough for Nintendo fans?

Unless we develop some 'thumbnail' metric for what constitutes 'significantly more powerful' than the PS360 we seem destined to go round and round on this subject.

Hiro

Banned
wsippel said:
I'm beginning to wonder, was this a general statement or did Mark Rein already know about Cafe at this years GDC:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/mark-rein-if-3ds-could-deliver-unreal-engine-3-wed-be-on-it/

I guess it was both. Still, IGN's Fran Mirabella said there was some talk regarding Cafe at GDC, and considering Epics importance, I would be rather surprised if Nintendo didn't talk to them back then. Of course, rumors suggest Cafe could easily run UE3, anyway.

Do you remember the 'Samaritan' demo that Epic showed at GDC? Maybe 'Samaritan' (ie. the new IP led by Eric Holmes, if it is their new IP) shows what Project Cafe will be capable of and is going to be a Project Cafe title?

-viper-

Banned
The controller display honestly sounds like a gimmick. Why should I play games on a low resolution small display when I can experience them on a superior 40" display?

I may as well get a NGP.

Maxrunner said:
they're just the best controllers made....at least for me....the MS are the worst....

The Wavebird controller is my absolute favorite. I never got tired of holding that in my hands like I do with the Wii Remote or N64 controller.

Anyways, only like 43 days to go!

Hiro said:
Do you remember the 'Samaritan' demo that Epic showed at GDC? Maybe 'Samaritan' (ie. the new IP led by Eric Holmes, if it is their new IP) shows what Project Cafe will be capable of and is going to be a Project Cafe title?
The Cafe is as powerful as 3 590/ confirmed

As far as disc format goes, A modified Bluray format is probably the cheapest and most likely disc Nintendo will use for Wii 2. They wouldn't have to pay anything to the Bluray Consortium in terms of licensing fees, since it wouldn't be a Bluray disc in the truest sense.

How possible is it for Nintendo to go for a modified HD-DVD disc format? The biggest problem with going for modified Bluray is that someone will probably find a way to hack a Bluray burner and make copies and images, as it happened with the Wii Optical Disc despite its safeguards. With HD-DVD, that would be near impossible, since no one makes burners or discs for that format any more. Also, discs would be 30GB, maybe 45-51GB if they go triple layer - Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4 are the only two not-Sony games that fill a dual-layer Bluray IIRC.

Busty

Banned
Hiro said:

*chortle*

ivysaur12

Banned
MidnightScott said:
The Wavebird controller is my absolute favorite. I never got tired of holding that in my hands like I do with the Wii Remote or N64 controller.

Anyways, only like 43 days to go!

I can't believe E3's that close...

Kusagari

It sucks that I'm going to miss out on most of the craziness of this years E3. But alas I need to go to Gainesville for my transfer orientation to UF that Monday.

From The Dust said:
The Cafe is as powerful as 3 590/ confirmed

Well they did say with optimization they could knock it down to 1 but that would have to mean it's as powerful as 1 590 and L.O.L at that thought.

Sorry to be off topic...

But is anyone happy that it isn't launching this year? I am kind of both ways on it.

If Nintendo plans to actually localize/release new software for the Wii then I will be okay with it. But if I don't have anything on my Wii to play they should release the new system this year >.>

Lets get some news on the Kirby game, or was it bumped off the Wii since Wii already got a Kirby game just last year...

thehillissilent said:
With Nintendo's emphasis on local multiplayer, I think the screen on the controller is an awesome concept. First person shooters would definately benefit.

More than they benefit from pointer controls? I don't see a thing being mentioned about continuing to support IR (outside of Wii BC) and that makes me pretty sad.

Hiro

Banned
-viper- said:
The controller display honestly sounds like a gimmick. Why should I play games on a low resolution small display when I can experience them on a superior 40" display?

I may as well get a NGP.

Forget the NGP, there isn't a single title for it, anounced or shown off, that makes it worth purchasing. Project Cafe is the way to go, it will have better 1st and 3rd party support than the NGP, be more powerful than the NGP and will be an all around far better system and far more worth your hard earned money.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
M_Night said:
Posted?

Iwata Discusses Wii 2 at Earnings Briefing

3D not a focus for the system, says CEO. System being released because developers having hard time delivering surprises on Wii.

In its announcement earlier today, Nintendo stated that it had not included sales of the Wii successor in its earnings forecasts for the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2012. You might have guessed that this means a release for the system after that date. This is the case, Iwata confirmed during the press conference. The Wii 2 will not arrive until after April 2012.

Full article here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/25/iwata_on_wii_2/

That's Iwata saying OK developers, you get what you want - now what excuses can you come up with except for your own incompetence?

That promises well for the power and control and HD aspects of the system.

I do rather wonder what the devs reaction will be. I guess we'll see a few variants of the "we can't compete with Nintendo" before the penny drops..

beje

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Like some of you people have said... if the console is going to be able to stream video to four controllers and an HDTV, the console needs to be fairly more powerful than the PS3.

Maybe a dual GPU?

Didn't they say something in the line of "full potential only available if the main and flashy new feature is disabled"? That would fit perfectly. Dual GPU for TV gaming + simple controller screen info (HUD, map, inventory or something in that line), single GPU for "tablet" games (one for the TV, other one for the 4 controller screens)

maeh2k

Mr. Pointy said:
As far as disc format goes, A modified Bluray format is probably the cheapest and most likely disc Nintendo will use for Wii 2. They wouldn't have to pay anything to the Bluray Consortium in terms of licensing fees, since it wouldn't be a Bluray disc in the truest sense.

How possible is it for Nintendo to go for a modified HD-DVD disc format? The biggest problem with going for modified Bluray is that someone will probably find a way to hack a Bluray burner and make copies and images, as it happened with the Wii Optical Disc despite its safeguards. With HD-DVD, that would be near impossible, since no one makes burners or discs for that format any more. Also, discs would be 30GB, maybe 45-51GB if they go triple layer - Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4 are the only two not-Sony games that fill a dual-layer Bluray IIRC.

This being Nintendo, I'm not even sure they won't just keep using regular DVDs.

I'd be almost surprised if they really went all out on the storage components.

For the time being I'm just going to assume that it will use regular DVDs and also not come with an HDD but instead use like 4 GB of flash memory :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:

I may as well get a NGP.

I think the point is each kid in the house can play a different game. Or they can play on the same TV and also have an individual screen with maps or whatever. The underutilized PSP/PS3 abilities I would imagine.

All in all, I sort of agree with you though, I am not seeing a huge advantage with this right now. I mean virtually every kid has a DS variation already as a portable.

And with a 6 inch screen the controller sounds like it would have to be huge. It will certainly be interesting at E3 though. It also almost guarantees MS/Sony will also be under pressure to show something, they can't let Nintendo have too much of a headstart into next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom