• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

-viper- said:
The controller display honestly sounds like a gimmick. Why should I play games on a low resolution small display when I can experience them on a superior 40" display?

I may as well get a NGP.

Because that's not its primary focus. Think local multi-player. How about Goldeneye? You'd really rather everyone see where people are on the TV? This is much better - and the TV could act as scoreboard/highlight broadcaster. Now get more creative. A party game where one person is performing an action on the TV and the other players are using their touchscreen to set traps on the unsuspecting player on tv. The screen itself is a great idea. It's the pointer function getting thrown out which is the issue (assuming it's true). Plus, even in single-player, map/inventory/social networking all on the touch screen is a big plus over traditional controllers.

Busty

Banned
Hiro said:
Forget the NGP, there isn't a single title for it, anounced or shown off, that makes it worth purchasing.

Really? Well go and start a new thread then young man. GAF must be told!

Hiro said:
Project Cafe is the way to go, it will have better 1st and 3rd party support than the NGP, be more powerful than the NGP and will be an all around far better system and far more worth your hard earned money

I see. I see. And not to mention Project Samaritan as an exclusive from Epic.

Hiro said:
Forget the NGP, there isn't a single title for it, anounced or shown off, that makes it worth purchasing. Project Cafe is the way to go, it will have better 1st and 3rd party support than the NGP, be more powerful than the NGP and will be an all around far better system and far more worth your hard earned money.

Its like you are a sales person for Nintendo.

Our speculative unrevealed device is better then their speculative unrevealed device.

Hiro said:
Forget the NGP, there isn't a single title for it, anounced or shown off, that makes it worth purchasing. Project Cafe is the way to go, it will have better 1st and 3rd party support than the NGP, be more powerful than the NGP and will be an all around far better system and far more worth your hard earned money.
We don't really know sony's NGP plans yet. Wait till E3 for the games.

MidnightScott said:
Sorry to be off topic...

But is anyone happy that it isn't launching this year? I am kind of both ways on it.

If Nintendo plans to actually localize/release new software for the Wii then I will be okay with it. But if I don't have anything on my Wii to play they should release the new system this year >.>

Lets get some news on the Kirby game, or was it bumped off the Wii since Wii already got a Kirby game just last year...

my wallet is pretty happy especially if ngp releases this year, no way i could get both at once . plus more money to get other games i would have had to not get if this came out and had must have software at launch.

-viper-

Banned
Hiro said:
Except Project Cafe isn't portable. It has to be played infront of the console.

I honestly don't understand the point of having a mobile screen on the controller. But I suppose when playing split screen games it could be absolutely amazing. However, how often do they really release split screen games? Developers stopped caring about split screen gaming due to the prominent focus on online gaming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont want the Cafe this year. I want more goddamn 3DS games.

theBishop

Banned
Hiro said:

Nathan-Drake_drakes_fortune-e1287072986417.jpg

Hiro

Banned
AndyD said:
It also almost guarantees MS/Sony will also be under pressure to show something, they can't let Nintendo have too much of a headstart into next gen.

There is ZERO possibility of Sony so much as even discussing that they are even thinking about their next-gen console (or as some might call it, PS4). Quite honestly, if NGP does not turn out to be a resounding success, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes the way of Sega and ceases all console/handheld development, lauds support to Nintendo or Microsoft, and becomes a software developer only. This I am basing off the cataclysmic losses they have had during the 7th generation of consoles, which would have put the vast, vast majority of companies under.

The next Pikmin game had better be for 3DS with an augmented reality mode so you can hunt Pikmin in your own yard/garden. To me that'd be way more compelling than any console version of the game.

ZZMitch

1-D_FTW said:
Because that's not its primary focus. Think local multi-player. How about Goldeneye? You'd really rather everyone see where people are on the TV? This is much better - and the TV could act as scoreboard/highlight broadcaster. Now get more creative. A party game where one person is performing an action on the TV and the other players are using their touchscreen to set traps on the unsuspecting player on tv. The screen itself is a great idea. It's the pointer function getting thrown out which is the issue (assuming it's true). Plus, even in single-player, map/inventory/social networking all on the touch screen is a big plus over traditional controllers.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I can see a lot of cool things coming out of this.

I can't see Nintendo use DVD again. A console that is more powerful than 360/PS3 would be completely pointless if they are limited by the DVD format. The 360 barely manages with DVDs, and it's only because they don't have better audio than DD5.1. Not that I would be surprised if Cafe doesn't support uncompressed audio formats, but the graphics will be severely limited by DVDs even with DD5.1/DTS.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
MidnightScott said:
Sorry to be off topic...

But is anyone happy that it isn't launching this year? I am kind of both ways on it.

If Nintendo plans to actually localize/release new software for the Wii then I will be okay with it. But if I don't have anything on my Wii to play they should release the new system this year >.>

Lets get some news on the Kirby game, or was it bumped off the Wii since Wii already got a Kirby game just last year...

I'm cool with that. Needs time to build the launch games and experiment some. I'd rather that than have them rush it.

-viper- said:
Except Project Cafe isn't portable. It has to be played infront of the console.

I honestly don't understand the point of having a mobile screen on the controller. But I suppose when playing split screen games it could be absolutely amazing. However, how often do they really release split screen games? Developers stopped caring about split screen gaming due to the prominent focus on online gaming.

And that's part of the problem, because local multiplayer is a lot of fun.

Nintendo knows that - looks like nobody else does. Remember how Sony (or was it Microsoft - could be either) said their aim was to 'take over the living room' and then said last year that they had 'gone further' than that, they had 'redefined the living room'. Which means, basically, they failed - because for them the 'living room' was virtual interactions with people you don't know from the privacy of your bedroom/study/den. Call that living?

The biggest impact of the Wii on families that got one, was that it did bring people together into the living room - and that has been an absolute delight to many families.

More stuff like that can do nothing but good.

theBishop

Banned
I like the streaming idea as an extra feature. I hope Sony revisits their (very) similar Remote Play after NGP launches.

But it's not make or break for the system in my opinion. I buy a console to play on my home theater setup. If it can't deliver in that space, I'm not going to buy.

[Nintex]

ZZMitch said:
That actually sounds pretty awesome. I can see a lot of cool things coming out of this.
I was thinking about this too the other day. Imagine in Pikmin HD you have the big garden on your TV screen and a smaller zoomed in portion of the level on your own small screen. Also Four Swords would work great on such a machine so in reality Nintendo will put a map on the controller screen and call it an innovation never before seen in the gaming industry.

Busty

Banned
Hiro said:
There is ZERO possibility of Sony so much as even discussing that they are even thinking about their next-gen console (or as some might call it, PS4). Quite honestly, if NGP does not turn out to be a resounding success, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes the way of Sega and ceases all console/handheld development, lauds support to Nintendo or Microsoft, and becomes a software developer only. This I am basing off the cataclysmic losses they have had during the 7th generation of consoles, which would have put the vast, vast majority of companies under.

Good grief.

-viper- said:
The controller display honestly sounds like a gimmick. Why should I play games on a low resolution small display when I can experience them on a superior 40" display?

I may as well get a NGP.
Did you read anything in this thread? The controller screen is an addition, not a replacement. It will still output to tvs.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Game Analyst said:
So is it safe to assume that the 3DS will get all of the N64 remakes and Cafe will get all of the Wii remakes?
The 3DS is already getting plenty of Wiimakes.

-viper- said:

I may as well get a NGP.
This will have Nintendo's software, though. You cannot resist (at least I can't).

zychi

Banned
You guys seem to be missing the main point of the controller(imo). It's nintendo's answer to all the mobile/ipad/iphone/android gaming. They have a single touch screen device that (will most likely) run these cheap games. They can even develop for it now instead of hating on the .99 cent app stores, and use it as a portable gaming device like a gameboy or gameboy advance successor. It's the gamecube to gameboy linkup without all the wires and fussiness.

HisshouBuraiKen said:
More than they benefit from pointer controls? I don't see a thing being mentioned about continuing to support IR (outside of Wii BC) and that makes me pretty sad.

This post below is what I was thinking in terms of how to improve local multiplayer for FPS games. I could care less about pointer control.

1-D_FTW said:

Kung Fu Grip said:
Just being honest.

:)

I'm not even sure what the hell you are talking about. pointer controls are superior to dual analogue in games like Pikmin (RTS's basicly). where the fuck are you getting "Nintendo lost" from?

Hiro said:

Tell us how you really feel

Jay Sosa

-viper- said:

I may as well get a NGP.

So I can level up while sitting on the toilet or in my garden or when I want to watch a game while playing or my GF wants to watch some shitty TV show or I'm in my bed..

Xdrive05

Speculation-GAF, what are the odds of them using a mini-bluray format (a'la GC mini DVDs)? I imagine even a single layer mini-bdrom would probably have more storage than a full dual layer dvd.

Is that less likely or more likely than a standard full-sized bluray format?

Busty

Banned
zychi said:
You guys seem to be missing the main point of the controller(imo). It's nintendo's answer to all the mobile/ipad/iphone/android gaming. They have a single touch screen device that (will most likely) run these cheap games. They can even develop for it now instead of hating on the .99 cent app stores, and use it as a portable gaming device like a gameboy or gameboy advance successor. It's the gamecube to gameboy linkup without all the wires and fussiness.

The 3DS just phoned.

It did NOT sound happy.

Burai

shitonmychest57
-viper- said:

I may as well get a NGP.

Because my step-daughter wants to watch Peppa Pig on the TV, but I still want to play Zelda whilst I keep an eye on her?

Or maybe my partner wants to watch some bullshit like Sex and the City with her friends on the TV and I want to carry on playing Excitebots 2 upstairs without having to unplug and move the console to another room?

There are a load of practical applications for families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom