• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

Xdrive05 said:
Speculation-GAF, what are the odds of them using a mini-bluray format (a'la GC mini DVDs)? I imagine even a single layer mini-bdrom would probably have more storage than a full dual layer dvd.

Is that less likely or more likely than a standard full-sized bluray format?

Someone pointed out in the old thread 12cm discs are a must for BC with Wii.

zychi said:
You guys seem to be missing the main point of the controller(imo). It's nintendo's answer to all the mobile/ipad/iphone/android gaming. They have a single touch screen device that (will most likely) run these cheap games. They can even develop for it now instead of hating on the .99 cent app stores, and use it as a portable gaming device like a gameboy or gameboy advance successor. It's the gamecube to gameboy linkup without all the wires and fussiness.
These controllers won't have the processing capability of the other portables. It will get all of the video streamed from the console. It's basically a dumb-terminal/thin-client. It;s like a local version of OnLive.

-viper-

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
So I can level up while sitting on the toilet or in my garden or when I want to watch a game while playing or my GF wants to watch some shitty TV show or I'm in my bed..
People play games in toilets? You guys are fucking unsanitary.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Who ever thought Nintendo would base an entire console on the GCN-GBA connectivity thing. Just goes to show that an idea never goes to waste. Must admit though, Four Swords was tons of fun on the full setup... Which I only ever saw on Nintendo's E3 booth

Odinson

zychi said:
You guys seem to be missing the main point of the controller(imo). It's nintendo's answer to all the mobile/ipad/iphone/android gaming. They have a single touch screen device that (will most likely) run these cheap games. They can even develop for it now instead of hating on the .99 cent app stores, and use it as a portable gaming device like a gameboy or gameboy advance successor. It's the gamecube to gameboy linkup without all the wires and fussiness.

Never thought about that. If you cant beat'em join them. What if Nintendo has an e-shop where you can get games like angry birds or fruit ninja to run on the controllers. It would be the best of both worlds. HD big budget gaming and cheap quick kill time gaming all in one.

Burai said:
Because my step-daughter wants to watch Peppa Pig on the TV, but I still want to play Zelda whilst I keep an eye on her?

Or maybe my partner wants to watch some bullshit like Sex and the City with her friends on the TV and I want to carry on playing Excitebots 2 upstairs without having to unplug and move the console to another room?

There are a load of practical applications for families.

Project Cafe. Teaching men their place in life.

-viper- said:
there is a very big chanche you'll be playing against people on toilets if you plan on playing multiplayer games on the NGP.

hell i'v played about 3000 races of Mariokart Ds on the toilet.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
AndyMoogle said:
I can't see Nintendo use DVD again. A console that is more powerful than 360/PS3 would be completely pointless if they are limited by the DVD format. The 360 barely manages with DVDs, and it's only because they don't have better audio than DD5.1. Not that I would be surprised if Cafe doesn't support uncompressed audio formats, but the graphics will be severely limited by DVDs even with DD5.1/DTS.
PCs use DVD just fine, and a PC is a generational leap above both the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

Also, with HDD installs and downloadable shit, there is no real reason to go Blu Ray. Slower and more expensive.

Lesiroth

Hiro said:
Forget the NGP, there isn't a single title for it, anounced or shown off, that makes it worth purchasing. Project Cafe is the way to go, it will have better 1st and 3rd party support than the NGP, be more powerful than the NGP and will be an all around far better system and far more worth your hard earned money.
Dude, you forgot your ™ and ® signs. You won't get any commissions that way.

manueldelalas said:
PCs use DVD just fine, and a PC is a generational leap above both the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

Also, with HDD installs and downloadable shit, there is no real reason to go Blu Ray. Slower and more expensive.

About the HDD, any rumours on size yet and what do you guys think should be enough? 120 GB? 60 GB?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Burai said:
Because my step-daughter wants to watch Peppa Pig on the TV, but I still want to play Zelda whilst I keep an eye on her?

Or maybe my partner wants to watch some bullshit like Sex and the City with her friends on the TV and I want to carry on playing Excitebots 2 upstairs without having to unplug and move the console to another room?

There are a load of practical applications for families.

Pretty much. If true, I can see the angle Nintendo are going for.

Nintendo are very much about establishing 'gaming' as a part of every day life for everyone. The Wii attempted to do this by offering an accessible control scheme for titles that are appealing to a wide range of people, hence all the Wii sports and what have you. They wanted to get more people to have gaming in mind. For the 3DS, having an affordable 3D camera (regardless of quality) along with the pedometer and various Mii games is an attempt to make people feel that the 3DS is as much of an accessory as their iPhone or whatever, rather than an alternative. Whether or not they are/will succeed is not the point, that's the angle they're going for.

I could see with the Cafe that they want to integrate this idea of 'constant gaming' inside homes, where home gaming is less about having to organise time or play sessions, but instead something anybody can do at any point in time. Accessibility and flexibility of gaming on the system, regardless of what anybody is doing on the TV or where you are in the house, will be their way of trying to dig their claws into family homes.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

manueldelalas said:

there are a lot of different pc's.

GregLombardi said:
What the hell are they going to have playable at E3 for this thing....

Some tech demo's, perhaps a Steel Diver HD (the controller would make an interesting periscope), Wario Ware, EA, Activision, Ubisoft games and Nintendos show piece launch title would be my guess.

manueldelalas said:

Drives should be much faster by now. Also, it wouldn't make sense to stick with DVD since games like Rage and FF require multiple DVD discs. PC games install to the hard drives so that doesn't count.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
StevePharma said:
About the HDD, any rumours on size yet and what do you guys think should be enough? 120 GB? 60 GB?
Probably more, you have to realize that there is a point where a smaller one will cost more than a bigger one, because one is mass produced and the other isn't.

-viper-

Banned
Always-honest said:
there is a very big chanche you'll be playing against people on toilets if you plan on playing multiplayer games on the NGP.

I don't let my DS or PSP go anywhere near the loo. If you guys want your consoles to harbor fecal contamination then more power to you.

zoukka

-viper- said:

You continue to amaze me with your ignorance. Toilet + pokemon = quality times.

-viper- said:
I don't let my DS or PSP go anywhere near the loo. If you guys want your consoles to harbor fecal contamination then more power to you.

lol they are things man. Don't get too attached.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
zychi said:
Nintendo is prepping a $300+ home console to counter cheap smartphone gaming... LOL! TELL ME MOAR!!

EatChildren said:
Pretty much. If true, I can see the angle Nintendo are going for.

Nintendo are very much about establishing 'gaming' as a part of every day life for everyone. The Wii attempted to do this by offering an accessible control scheme for titles that are appealing to a wide range of people, hence all the Wii sports and what have you. They wanted to get more people to have gaming in mind. For the 3DS, having an affordable 3D camera (regardless of quality) along with the pedometer and various Mii games is an attempt to make people feel that the 3DS is as much of an accessory as their iPhone or whatever, rather than an alternative. Whether or not they are/will succeed is not the point, that's the angle they're going for.

I could see with the Cafe that they want to integrate this idea of 'constant gaming' inside homes, where home gaming is less about having to organise time or play sessions, but instead something anybody can do at any point in time. Accessibility and flexibility of gaming on the system, regardless of what anybody is doing on the TV or where you are in the house, will be their way of trying to dig their claws into family homes.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

I agree. And while many say "low res screen", i'm pretty sure games will look INSANE on a 7 inch screen.
-viper- said:
.. how?. You play, puy the thing away, whipe your ass, wash your hands and pick it up again. cleaner than normal.

AndyD

aka andydumi
manueldelalas said:

PC's install games off multiple DVDs most of the time. Its unlikely this will come with a giant harddrive for you to install games. Then again, if they limit themselves to stereo sound, they could get by with DVD for a while longer.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
thehillissilent said:
Drives should be much faster by now. Also, it wouldn't make since to stick with DVD since games like Rage and FF require multiple discs. PC installs games to hard drives so that doesn't count.
It will most certainly have a HDD and you will be able to install and download shit on it, just like on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Just the fact that I could be seeing Zelda and Mario in 1080p excites me at the moment.

I mainly just posted here to ask for where is the Chrome Extension for NeoGAF which automatically adds posts to the thread?

Boney

Banned
-viper- said:
Do you go shower after taking a dump?

Vic

Chittagong said:
Who ever thought Nintendo would base an entire console on the GCN-GBA connectivity thing. Just goes to show that an idea never goes to waste. Must admit though, Four Swords was tons of fun on the full setup... Which I only ever saw on Nintendo's E3 booth
Nintendo experimental techs addons always become a main console feature somehow down the line.

Vinterbird said:
Some tech demo's, perhaps a Steel Diver HD (the controller would make an interesting periscope), Wario Ware, EA, Activision, Ubisoft games and Nintendos show piece launch title would be my guess.
I don't know....something tells me it may be more than that.

Remember, Wii development has stopped for all we can tell...besides Zelda of course.

Neiteio

Krev said:
Interesting. Seems like the June 2012 date is right on the money.
If it's playable at E3 and IGN are right about finished units being stockpiled from the end of this year, I can't see them holding out much longer than that.
June 2012 doesn't make much sense for a hardware launch. If you were Nintendo, wouldn't you rather wait until July so that E3 can be a huge impulse buy hype train for the hardcore? After all, the hardcore are the early adopters who will serve as word-of-mouth ambassadors of the system. I say, show the latest and great line-up of games at E3 2012, launch a marketing blitz at the same time, rake in the pre-orders and sell the system the next month.

In the meanwhile, there is the question of Wii support. If Nintendo localizes Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower -- all of which look fantastic, now that I've actually looked up videos -- then that's an incredibly solid line-up right there. Add in Skyward Sword and Dragon Quest X... and Fatal Frame II, the new Kirby and Rhythm Heaven... and perhaps a new title or two, and Wii should be fine in the interim.

Vic

Always-honest said:

3000? Sheeeiiiiii- (no pun intended)

From The Dust said:
I'm not even sure what the hell you are talking about. pointer controls are superior to dual analogue in games like Pikmin (RTS's basicly). where the fuck are you getting "Nintendo lost" from?
Why are you getting upset?

I didn't like anything about the wii. The controller, the momy type games, the hardware, nothing. Thats what i mean they lost me. K?

I don't care about pointer controls. Notice the keyword "I' in there.

Lesiroth

Hiro said:
There is ZERO possibility of Sony so much as even discussing that they are even thinking about their next-gen console (or as some might call it, PS4). Quite honestly, if NGP does not turn out to be a resounding success, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes the way of Sega and ceases all console/handheld development, lauds support to Nintendo or Microsoft, and becomes a software developer only. This I am basing off the cataclysmic losses they have had during the 7th generation of consoles, which would have put the vast, vast majority of companies under.
You may be pushing it a weeee bit.

If the quite plausible outcome mentioned above takes place, I want Sony and Sega to merge and make the DreamStation/PlayCast, launching with Shenmue 3, LittleBigPlanet: Shenmue, and Shenmue vs Kratos.

It will be glorious.

NeonZ

Busty said:
Depends on the kind of games it's streaming. Who says it has to be something like MGS4?It could be 'smaller' games like Angry Birds.

At the very least, it should be able to stream a PS3/360 quality Mario Kart or NSMB equivalent. Nintendo wouldn't design hardware that would cripple their main software.

szaromir

Banned
-viper- said:
I'm putting my pants down, sit on the toilet, grab my DS, play on it, stop playing, put the DS down, wipe my ass, put the pants back up, wash my hands, then maybe continue playing the game (usually not). I don't see how the DS gets contaminated in the process, at least not much more than in any other kind of interaction, there's always some bacteria and virus stuff fluffing around.

GregLombardi said:
I don't know....something tells me it may be more than that.

Remember, Wii development has stopped for all we can tell...besides Zelda of course.

In my mind I'm expecting Pikmin 3, Mario platformer and whatever old IP Nintendo decides to bring back (F-Zero, Wave Racer or something else). I doubt they are gonna throw out something big as a new Miyamoto IP with a new character and everything.

But yes. Nintendo has stopped Wii development. Everything is 3DS and Café, which is pointing towards either a lot of good games in the coming 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom