• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

GTAV wouldnt be shocking.

01net already reported the fact Nintendo is working very closely with Rockstar this time and made them one of the first groups to get a devkit.

Michan

GregLombardi said:
What's to upgrade though? Unfortunately for them I think they blew their load. Microsoft should have rebranded 360 when Kinect launched. All they did was Brand Kinect.
They did a bit. The interface got an update, all of the packaging got re-done, and we got a redesign of the console in the run-up to it.

Not to mention... Rare ;_;

Red UFO

mt1200 said:
1303719948949.jpg

Ugly

I could imagine that under my TV.

jett

D-Member
ReyVGM said:
What the hell at people thinking you'll be able to play actual Cafe games on the Controller's screen.

That screen will be relegated to minigames, maps, stat screens and character conversations such as Metal Gear Solid's CODEC scenes.

It can display whatever the hell devs want, it's just receiving video feed.

ciD_Vain

GregLombardi said:
What's to upgrade though? Unfortunately for them I think they blew their load. Microsoft should have rebranded 360 when Kinect launched. All they did was Brand Kinect.

A messy strategy.
That's what I was thinking. If they released Move/Kinect already, then what are they gonna do for ps4/720? They can't package it in with it since some people already have them. Unless they do multiple SKUs?

FoneBone

Vinci said:
I could easily see the following happen:

360, PS3, Cafe: Developers stick with 360 as the lead primarily, and simply port to the PS3 and Cafe. Maybe a couple of developers want to stick their neck out and develop on the stronger Cafe system, to 'up the ante,' but that's about it.

Cafe, PS4, 720: PS4 and 720 launch. Given that software has sold on Cafe, and it's not massively - MASSIVELY - weaker than the PS4 and 720, why on earth would I (a developer) increase my costs on the new systems and make porting to Cafe impossible? Why, in essence, would I cut from selling on 3 platforms down to 2 as I increase costs? And if I do that, doesn't it sort of show that I learned nothing from the Wii, 360, PS3 generation?
This is assuming that those 360/PS3-to-Cafe ports were actually selling in the first place, and that developers would care about leaving it out of the equation.

RPGCrazied

I really wish every console would get every 3rd party game, and then all you have to do is decide on what first party games you like the most to get that console.

Then everyone wins, right?

Fuzzy said:
I'm looking forward to taking the day off from work for Nintendo's E3 conference again this year.

Heh - I'd be doing that too, but there's a damn good chance I'll be in a labour ward at the time and I doubt my better half would be impressed if I was checking E3 feeds on my phone...

Woffls

Interfectum said:
Really? That sounds horrible to me.
WHAT?! That's pretty much the first thing I thought of. Don't you hate pausing every 20 seconds to check your map? Okay, it might not be a good idea while driving in heavy traffic, but that's the risk you take :p

It would also be interactive for stuff like pointing at something to turn it into a waypoint, rather than going to the start menu, selecting the map, pressing a button, navigating it with the stick, pressing another button, then backing all the way out. With a touch screen map that's already there, you just prod it with a stick. And prodding things with a stick is easy :D

Michan said:
They did a bit. The interface got an update, all of the packaging got re-done, and we got a redesign of the console in the run-up to it.

Not to mention... Rare ;_;
Well, I guess what I'm saying is that it should have been perceived as a new console to the consumer. They took the middle road, which is a reasonable choice given the market environment but a messy strategy that could be upended by 2 companies IMHO if they wanted to: Nintendo / Apple.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the only realistic potential 3rd party exclusive would be from a Japanese company. Best case scenario for Western devs are quality ports, at least short term.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
[Nintex] said:
I'd say it would be on par with the time that Final Fantasy XIII showed up at MS's conference.
What? Naaaaaah. I wouldn't even be as big as the GTA IV tattoo, Final Fantasy used to be on a single console when it happened. GTA is already on both

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Akai said:
That's how I read it, too. (It actually being shown for the first time there, I mean.) There's no way in hell that Ninty would get GTAV exclusive, but if they really wanted I think it's possible a timed-exclusive could be money-hatted...
Eh, one of Nintendo's simultaneous strengths and faults is how they take lessons from the past, and I don't think they remember the RE4 fiasco favorably.

Amir0x

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I really wish every console would get every 3rd party game, and then all you have to do is decide on what first party games you like the most to get that console.

These days when the idea of exclusives is being stretched more all the time, but back in the day, man, when a game was developed exclusively for the platform that shit made the best use out of that platform and we didn't have the worry about developer's deficient porting. Look at PS3... hell, virtually every game ported to it is the inferior version.

Teetris said:
What? Naaaaaah. I wouldn't even be as big as the GTA IV tattoo, Final Fantasy used to be on a single console when it happened. GTA is already on both

If there was some exclusivity combined with it - real exclusivity, timed at least - then it would be something.

It's more of an image makeover for Nintendo than a really big ANNOUNCEMENT.

Vinci

Danish
FoneBone said:
This is assuming that those 360/PS3-to-Cafe ports were actually selling in the first place, and that developers would care about leaving it out of the equation.

When the PS3 came out, it didn't sell ports well either. Didn't stop 3rd parties from porting to the thing. The point is, why not port to something that is easily ported to?

RPGCrazied said:

Then everyone ceaselessly pixel counts, right?
fixed

pirata

EmCeeGramr said:
I'd say "GTAV announced at the Nintendo conference for their next-gen system" would be pretty huge on the "hnnnnnnnnnnnng" meter.

Hopefully Reggie gets a fake tattoo for the occasion.

FoneBone

EmCeeGramr said:
I'd say "GTAV announced at the Nintendo conference for their next-gen system" would be pretty huge on the "hnnnnnnnnnnnng" meter.
It's "o_O" worthy but doesn't actually mean anything substantive.

EVH

mt1200 said:
G]http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/1303719948949.jpg[/IMG]

Ugly

And posted several times here.
Also fake.

Btw, wouldn't be funny if DQX was a launch title for this?

Interfectum

FoneBone said:
It's "o_O" worthy but doesn't actually mean anything substantive.

if it was announced exclusive (timed or otherwise) I'd say it would be huge. If it's just a day 1 port then yeah, non-news really.

Deku

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Eh, one of Nintendo's simultaneous strengths and faults is how they take lessons from the past, and I don't think they remember the RE4 fiasco favorably.

Not sure why GTAV is still considered a killer-app, but I suppose it's a big tent pole release and given how Nintendo has gone out of its way to acknowledge the franchise and Reggie had been trying to get Take2 to release more titles on Nintendo platforms since 2006, there's mutual benefit for Take2 and Nintendo to get an agreement going regarding GTAV especially if GTAV is a 2012 release it is likely going to be. Lauching your game alongside a new hardware has advantages.

If Cafe is more powerful than the PS3, then I could see timed exclusive + lead platform.

I agree that Nintendo will likely not try to get into a bidding war with Sony/Microsoft over getting any one game exclusively, but it doesn't appear to be their goal.

The analysis from a couple of weeks ago seems to make most sense, and that Nintendo's goal is to get Cafe to be the lead platform on as many games as possible, even if it is not exclusives.

And that point of attack, given they aren't launching late like every single generation since the SNES gives them much more of an advantage than it would seem had they pulled a Wii and launched a year after the early bird. But again, given how this console generation was, it was widely expected they would launch early and they have.

birdchili

"playable" at e3 is key, and it's got to be more than just a kitchen sink controller. i can't imagine something like that on it's own being particularly compelling, particularly at the zoo that will be the e3 floor. they need to get people talking about how fun it was, and i'm not sure anything we're hearing so far is going to give any kind of gameplay buzz to anyone.

we're still missing something. surely.

[Nintex]

EVH said:
Btw, wouldn't be funny if DQIX was a launch title for this?
Yeah would be pretty funny if the secret was a time machine and Square Enix went back in time to cancel DQIX for DS and started building it for a system that didn't exist yet at that time.

Interfectum said:
if it was announced exclusive (timed or otherwise) I'd say it would be huge. If it's just a day 1 port then yeah, non-news really.
I dunno. Even just a port would signify a few important things about the new console and Nintendo's direction for it.

It's more of a symbolic thing than actual "lose your shit" craziness.

The_Technomancer said:
Chinatown Wars was a ridiculously quality product. I would say R* definitely has no problem developing for Nintendo platforms, the Wii just wasn't their technical cup of tea.

Oh, I forgot about Chinatown Wars, Home HW then.

evangd007

RPGCrazied said:

That's Nintendo's plan, riding the assumption that they have the most appealing first party games.

FoneBone

Interfectum said:
It'd be more about symbolic significance than anything else, if it actually happens.

SE isn't going to move DQX to Cafe but I wouldn't rule out the possiblity of them enhancing the game when played on the new system in the same way they did to Chrono Cross.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
I dunno. Even just a port would signify a few important things about the new console and Nintendo's direction for it.

It's more of a symbolic thing than actual "lose your shit" craziness.
You say that now but you also know that the GAF E3 thread would blow up if GTAV showed up at Nintendo's conference before anywhere else.

Cosmonaut X said:
Heh - I'd be doing that too, but there's a damn good chance I'll be in a labour ward at the time and I doubt my better half would be impressed if I was checking E3 feeds on my phone...

"I can see the head! Sweetheart, it's beautiful! Oh it's wonderful! It's... wait a second Reggie just walked back on stage, gimme a minute..."

Vinci

Danish
EVH said:
And posted several times here.
Also fake.

Btw, wouldn't be funny if DQIX was a launch title for this?

I'm assuming you mean DQX? And yes, it would be funny, because it would show that Horii has developed a sense of humor about what platform his game appears on.

evangd007

birdchili said:
"playable" at e3 is key, and it's got to be more than just a kitchen sink controller. i can't imagine something like that on it's own being particularly compelling, particularly at the zoo that will be the e3 floor. they need to get people talking about how fun it was, and i'm not sure anything we're hearing so far is going to give any kind of gameplay buzz to anyone.

we're still missing something. surely.

Confirmed playable by Kotaku.

Amir0x said:
If there was some exclusivity combined with it - real exclusivity, timed at least - then it would be something.

It's more of an image makeover for Nintendo than a really big ANNOUNCEMENT.

Any type of exclusivity of the next GTAV for this system would cost Nintendo an obscene amount of money (there were rumors that GTAIV exclusivity would've cost over 100m). Rockstar would be giving up the PS3, 360 and PC install bases for that series in favor of a system that's starting from scratch as far as userbases go. But that probably isn't happening since most of that GTAV rumors have it releasing within the first 3 months of 2012.

RPGCrazied

evangd007 said:
That's Nintendo's plan, riding the assumption that they have the most appealing first party games.

Well, if they can do that, I'm going with Nintendo. I'm a Zelda & Metroid fan, if they can secure most 3rd party big titles, I'm in. I just hope for a better online solution, and would be nice for some sort of achievement system.

This is good news and all, but did we get any software announcements for the Wii/3DS? Seems like we used to get a few titles out of these investor meetings, unless I'm thinking of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom