• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deku said:
Not sure why GTAV is still considered a killer-app, but I suppose it's a big tent pole release and given how Nintendo has gone out of its way to acknowledge the franchise and Reggie had been trying to get Take2 to release more titles on Nintendo platforms since 2006, there's mutual benefit for Take2 and Nintendo to get an agreement going regarding GTAV especially if GTAV is a 2012 release it is likely going to be. Lauching your game alongside a new hardware has advantages.

If Cafe is more powerful than the PS3, then I could see timed exclusive + lead platform.

If GTA V for Stream is only a simple X360 port, with maybe some added stuff like city map viewable on the controller screen, but it runs in 1080p with a solid 60fps, instead of the usual janky GTA console frame rates, it will be a huge boon and selling point for the system.

If there are already 17 million GTA fans on PS360/PC, the odds of Rockstar going full exclusive are slim to none.

Nintendo getting significant exclusive content, new gameplay modes based on the Cafe controller, or having the best looking (console) version would still be a pretty big deal though. Same goes for Call of Duty '12 and Madden/FIFA '13.

Amir0x

Banned
birdchili said:
"playable" at e3 is key, and it's got to be more than just a kitchen sink controller. i can't imagine something like that on it's own being particularly compelling, particularly at the zoo that will be the e3 floor. they need to get people talking about how fun it was, and i'm not sure anything we're hearing so far is going to give any kind of gameplay buzz to anyone.

we're still missing something. surely.

it's so depressing that refinement is negative, and bullshit distractions made to "woo" E3 attendees is apparently the ideal to shoot for.

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't it? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.

RPGCrazied said:
Well, if they can do that, I'm going with Nintendo. I'm a Zelda & Metroid fan, if they can secure most 3rd party big titles, I'm in. I just hope for a better online solution, and would be nice for some sort of achievement system.
What's that Metroid Prime team doing anyway?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
If there was some exclusivity combined with it - real exclusivity, timed at least - then it would be something.

It's more of an image makeover for Nintendo than a really big ANNOUNCEMENT.
It would be something only if it were exclusive for at least a year or so- real exclusive would be a super slim chance of happening unless Nintendo waved that BIG Wii money. The image makeover might be there for the short term, GTA alone has the power to kickstart it, but a steady flow of releases is needed

Which basically means: bring on shooter after shooter. Sad, but true as hell

Big One

Banned
I don't think GTAV would be an exclusive but I could imagine it being released first on Wii2. Of course this depends on how long it's going to take for it to release.

Amir0x said:
it's so depressing that refinement is negative, and bullshit distractions made to "woo" E3 attendees is apparently the ideal to shoot for.

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Seriously I can't believe some are begging for more gimmicks that do nothing for real games. It's truly baffling.

GTA5 exclusive? delusion is a bitch, ain't it. however exclusive shit ain't out of the question though. man, this E3 will be one for the record books

Vinci

Danish
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If there are already 17 million GTA fans on PS360/PC, the odds of Rockstar going full exclusive are slim to none.

Nintendo getting significant exclusive content, new gameplay modes based on the Cafe controller, or having the best looking (console) version would still be a pretty big deal though. Same goes for Call of Duty '12 and Madden/FIFA '13.

I agree. It's hardly a miracle bullet, but it's a good one to have. The point is just getting 3rd party developers accustomed to putting their stuff on a Nintendo console - opening up relations, creating bridges, etc. and so on. That's all Nintendo could likely get at this point, but it's a major first step in whittling away the 'kiddie' and 'casual' perspectives on the company that have been perpetuated against them for years and years.

Ickman3400 said:
Seriously I can't believe some are begging for more gimmicks that do nothing for real games. It's truly baffling.

I've never wanted a gimmick that did nothing for the game. Why would I ever beg for that?

Beth Cyra

Ickman3400 said:

Definie more?

As it stands, Motion is here to stay so the only thing that proved itself a gimick about the Wii was the awful speaker in the controller. To be fair that was called out for the pile of crap it was 2 seconds after it was in gamers hands.

Amir0x said:
If there was some exclusivity combined with it - real exclusivity, timed at least - then it would be something.

It's more of an image makeover for Nintendo than a really big ANNOUNCEMENT.

Mostly agreed, although GTAV potentially being the best-looking, definitive version on a Nintendo console (along with whatever Cafe-related features) ain't nothing, even without exclusivity.

Deku said:
The GameCube also launched almost 2 years late and had to deal with limited disc space at a time when it made no sense to do so.

The storage issue has been nullified as the market has had to grapple with exploding budgets, and the 8GB provided by a DVD is going to be enough.

Yes, some of GC's weak third-party support was due to limited storage space, as well as Nintendo's "kiddy" image. But particularly after GC's first year, many multiplatform titles were only released for PS2 and Xbox for sales reasons: with a few rare exceptions, same-day PS2/Xbox/GC releases consistently sold worst on GC - disproportionately so, considering the relative sizes of the user bases.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TruePrime said:
As it stands, Motion is here to stay so the only thing that proved itself a gimick about the Wii was the awful speaker in the controller. To be fair that was called out for the pile of crap it was 2 seconds after it was in gamers hands.

Do people really hate the speaker that much? I actually liked it (despite the terrible sound quality).

RPGCrazied

Always-honest said:
What's that Metroid Prime team doing anyway?

I think Retro Studios is done with Metroid. I hope it doesn't go back to Team Ninja. While I liked Other M, it wasn't the way I wanted the series to go. I wouldn't mind the series going back to its 2D roots, or hell, 2.5D. Metroid would look glorious in Odin Sphere type graphics.

Not to derail the thread, I'll talk more about the new system. I really hope it goes away with friend codes. Those were a pain in the ass to deal with. What about the media it uses? I seriously doubt you are going to see blu-ray. Sony working with Nintendo? Not going to happen. I guess it'll stick to DVD's.

Beth Cyra

Ysiadmihi said:
Do people really hate the speaker that much? I actually liked it (despite the terrible sound quality).

I liked the idea behind it. The use in Guitar Hero so you didn't her the miss notes through your sound system was genius.

The quality though was garbage so that really hurt it in the long run, for me at least.

J-Rock

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

The overall idea isn't horrible. Just the sounds quality. Course now that there may be a screen on the controller, speakers kind of make sense with it.

Father_Brain said:
Yes, some of GC's weak third-party support was due to limited storage space, as well as Nintendo's "kiddy" image. But particularly after GC's first year, many multiplatform titles were only released for PS2 and Xbox for sales reasons: with a few rare exceptions, same-day PS2/Xbox/GC releases consistently sold worst on GC - disproportionately so, considering the relative sizes of the user bases.
This. I think even if Wii 2 got a GTA game with exclusive features, it'd still sell less than PS360. The userbase is elsewhere. People so desperate for these games really should consider another console, seriously. The market isn't there for Wii, and probably won't be for Wii 2 unless there's a drastic change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ysiadmihi said:
Me too, not so much for shitty sounds that might as well play on the TV speakers (Twilight Princess sword sounds/ Mario Galaxy sounds) but No More Heroes did it in an awesome way with the phone calls.

Well... it could run at 1080p and 60fps... but I'm prety sure that the majority of multi-platform gamers are going to get the 36 version just because of the achievements... those useless points...

Nintendo needs to address that problem. I think they should offer a similar but simpler system... let's say, one single achievement by finishing the game and once you get it, you get an exclusive hat for your Mii, not obtainable by any other way.

RPGCrazied said:
I think Retro Studios is done with Metroid. I hope it doesn't go back to Team Ninja. While I liked Other M, it wasn't the way I wanted the series to go. I wouldn't mind the series going back to its 2D roots, or hell, 2.5D. Metroid would look glorious in Odin Sphere type graphics.

Not to derail the thread, I'll talk more about the new system. I really hope it goes away with friend codes. Those were a pain in the ass to deal with. What about the media it uses? I seriously doubt you are going to see blu-ray. Sony working with Nintendo? Not going to happen. I guess it'll stick to DVD's.

Sony doesn't have to work with Nintendo for Nintendo to use Blu-ray's. Just because Sony is part of the Blu-ray consortium, along with several other companies, doesn't mean they have to license it to Nintendo for them to use themselves or anything.

birdchili

Amir0x said:

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.
i just don't think that a more powerful console with a flexible controller is going to get people excited, and you can't ignore the marketing side of a console launch (particularly if you're nintendo and hoping to re-woo all the folk you've alienated over the past bit). if they're bringing it out at e3, playable... i expect that we're still missing something (major), that's all.

you seem to think that any unrevealed "something" would be gimmicky, but that's not necessarily the case.

it's not that i can't think of some cool stuff to do with a personal-screen in a console controller... i'm just not sure it's going to give them the "wii successor" buzz on it's own, and nintendo has been pretty good at creating good buzz for their recent consoles.

...and i'd hesitate to suggest that adding a 6" streaming screen to controllers that have been typically smaller than that on their own would be considered a "refinement".

Vinci

Danish
Pancakes R Us said:
This. I think even if Wii 2 got a GTA game with exclusive features, it'd still sell less than PS360. The userbase is elsewhere. People so desperate for these games really should consider another console, seriously. The market isn't there for Wii, and probably won't be for Wii 2 unless there's a drastic change.

Of course it would sell less. It doesn't have an audience 80 million strong if and when GTA comes to it.

Fernando Rocker said:
Well... it could run at 1080p and 60fps... but I'm prety sure that the majority of multi-platform gamers are going to get the 36 version just because of the achievements... those useless points...

Nintendo needs to address that problem. I think they should offer a similar but simpler system... let's say, one single achievement by finishing the game and once you get it, you get an exclusive hat for your Mii, not obtainable by any other way.

I'd take virtual hats over virtual points any day.

TruePrime said:
The quality though was garbage so that really hurt it in the long run, for me at least.
I only recall it being used for tinny speaker sounds (cell phones, walkie talkies, etc.), so it never seemed strange to me.

1-D_FTW

If the phone in GTA V were on the touchpad, I'd consider going that route over the PC (assuming the graphics weren't that big of a downgrade). Having the phone and GPS are cool little touches that would take very little effort and greatly enhance the Nintendo version IMO.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

I actually liked it too. As you have said the only thing that let it down was the sound quality. When it came to some games such as 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?', 'Silent Hill: Shattered Memories', and 'No More Heroes' I thought the use of it was great.

As with the motion control and pointer functionality though it was mostly abused by most companies and either ruined or didn't add much to experiences at all.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Amir0x said:

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't it? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.
a cast-iron commitment to 1080p/60hz would be the biggest surprise a console manufacturer could make to me at this point.

Man

The non disclosed feature must be the key to all this.

Having a very flexible screen output and split with the controllers is neat and all but it doesn't hit me why it would be instantly desirable for the mass market, something that was very obvious with the Wii controller reveal.

udivision

comedy bomb said:
This is good news and all, but did we get any software announcements for the Wii/3DS? Seems like we used to get a few titles out of these investor meetings, unless I'm thinking of something else.
Hasn't happened yet... has it?

ghst said:
a cast-iron commitment to 1080p/60hz would be the biggest surprise a console manufacturer could make to me at this point.

You might get 1080p but 60fps across the board isn't going to happen. You could have 60fps framerates this gen but developers choose to have higher poly counts, better textures, lighting ect. over a higher framerate. There's no reason to think that the mentality next gen will be different from what it is now.

Do you guys think that Jackson has contacts at Nintendo?

Maybe he could address those achievements system problems to them... I mean, I really don't care for those virtual useless points, but they are important to a lot of people. It is a huge selling point and a huge deciding factor when it comes to pick up multiplatform games.

Nintendo needs to be aware of that... because I'm pretty sure they are not.

Vinci said:
Of course it would sell less. It doesn't have an audience 80 million strong if and when GTA comes to it.

It wouldn't have to sell better than the PS3 and 360 versions, but it would have to sell well enough to show that an audience for Western multiplatform games can be cultivated on the Cafe. Which may not be possible without Cafe exclusivity in some form.

Man

PS! Sony re-iterating the streaming and remote-play capabilities from PS3-to-PSP/NGP and how it has been done for six years is practically the most assured thing at this years E3 in light of these rumors.

defferoo

Pancakes R Us said:
right, but if the differences between the ps360 versions and the cafe versions are enough to warrant the purchase of the new system, it could be what nintendo needs to get its foot in the door with 3rd party devs and AAA titles.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:

Maybe he could address those achievements system problems to them... I mean, I really don't care for those virtual useless points, but they are important to a lot of people. It is a huge selling point and a huge deciding factor when it comes to pick up multiplatform games.

lol

ombz

Fernando Rocker said:

I would think he would deal more with handheld topics.

Sorry, but it's really hard to find anything right now. I was wondering if anyone know the comment from Brain Stew telling us how the lowest end R700 would compare to the 360. I recall him saying something about it. Or maybe it was someone else.

1-D_FTW

SolidSnakex said:
You might get 1080p but 60fps across the board isn't going to happen. You could have 60fps framerates this gen but developers choose to have better higher poly counts, better textures, lighting ect. over a higher framerate. There's no reason to think that the mentality next gen will be different from what it is now.

See Insomniac for Exhibit A. And they even believed it in for longer than most.

Vinci

Danish
Father_Brain said:
It wouldn't have to sell better than the PS3 and 360 versions, but it would have to sell well enough to show that an audience for Western multiplatform games can be cultivated on the Cafe.

You know how you cultivate an audience on a console? By consistently releasing things on it. Not 'testing' it. Not 'trying it out.' Not 'giving it the old college try.' It's by consistently putting content on the system. Period. How the hell did the PS3 get to where it is? It didn't sell exceedingly well at first, especially compared to the 360. But it got there eventually, and now games sell pretty well on the thing.

That's how you do it.

EDIT: Seriously, why would any 3rd party want to ignore a system by Nintendo that they can easily port to after this generation? Why take the chance on not having access to something that could potentially be another market leader?

antonz

Cow Mengde said:
Sorry, but it's really hard to find anything right now. I was wondering if anyone know the comment from Brain Stew telling us how the lowest end R700 would compare to the 360. I recall him saying something about it. Or maybe it was someone else.
The extreme low end of the R700 family is well below 360 specs. They are way too primitive even coming in an AGP variety still. 4670 is likely the lowest they would go and that would be a modest 2x performance boost over the 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom