• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I always said I'll buy the systems that let me play Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and GTA (added since Vice City). Looks like I could be one title away from eliminating a second console this generation. :eek:

What's scary is we're already far over 1/10th of the thread size limit in just two days. With really very little new information. We're going to have to be switching threads every couple hours come E3 :D

Edit - One day?

Mr_Brit

Banned
antonz said:
The extreme low end of the R700 family is well below 360 specs. They are way too primitive even coming in an AGP variety still. 4670 is likely the lowest they would go and that would be a modest 2x performance boost over the 360
A 4670 would struggle at 1080p, you'd need at least a 4870 if you want 1080p to be the standard resolution for the Wii 2.

Vinci said:
You know how you cultivate an audience on a console? By consistently releasing things on it. Not 'testing' it. Not 'trying it out.' Not 'giving it the old college try.' It's by consistently putting content on the system. Period. How the hell did the PS3 get to where it is? It didn't sell exceedingly well at first, especially compared to the 360. But it got there eventually, and now games sell pretty well on the thing.

That's how you do it.

EDIT: Seriously, why would any 3rd party want to ignore a system by Nintendo that they can easily port to after this generation? Why take the chance on not having access to something that could potentially be another market leader?

tell that to Ubisoft. after the sucess of Red Steel, they should have quickly followed up with Red Steel 2. instead they wait 4 years when the public stopped caring

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's so depressing that refinement is negative, and bullshit distractions made to "woo" E3 attendees is apparently the ideal to shoot for.

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't it? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Amir0x there were couple of time when I disagreed to what you say, but most of the time I see you hit the nails with your post and this is one of them.

Opus Angelorum said:
Anyone else expecting something from Bungie? That would raise a few eyebrows.

As they are working with Activision, if it can handle whatever they are working on(technically & in terms of online infrastructure) I would have thought it would be a shoo-in.

Vinci

Danish
liger05 said:
How dope is Nintendo at E3 going to be? Project cafe and 3DS goodness. Cant wait to see this shit.

*shrugs* I'll just be watching for the new console reveal. I'm actually curious about it. 3DS doesn't seem to be amounting to much new content.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So it makes the most sense to launch this in Spring - Summer 2012, right? Revealing your hand and then launching the system more than a year after the reveal seems like a very strange move. Has that ever happened?

So excited to see what they have playable at E3. HD Nintendo games OMG.

liger05 said:
How dope is Nintendo at E3 going to be? Project cafe and 3DS goodness. Cant wait to see this shit.
I know. At this point it is sounding like Nintendo may have 2 awesome E3's in a row. Is that even legal?

Amir0x

Banned
ghst said:
a cast-iron commitment to 1080p/60hz would be the biggest surprise a console manufacturer could make to me at this point.

You live in the same world I do, you know that ain't gonna happen :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Amir0x said:
it's so depressing that refinement is negative, and bullshit distractions made to "woo" E3 attendees is apparently the ideal to shoot for.

Well, hey, they have a "surprise" we don't know about - maybe the controller will shoot out elephant milk. That'd be something, wouldn't it? Wouldn't do shit all for games, but hell, who cares about that as long as E3 attendees and their ADHD-addled freak associates are temporarily distracted enough to write extremely effusive articles about how it will CHANGE EVERYTHING.
For some people the current console set-up is fine, they see the 360 controller (with a better dpad) as the evolution endpoint for interaction with games and see games as a well established medium and so all they want is for games to have improvements in already established technology, graphics, physics, AI, animation etc. Others want to see a paradigm shift and to see experimentation into what sometimes will be dead-ends, other times will produce something new and interesting. Motion controls are somewhat 'ordinary' now, but they hinted at a unique direction for games, a physical interaction beyond pressing buttons, a fuzzier, less x=y type of input in a similar way to the focus on physics in HL2.

Vinci

Danish
From The Dust said:
tell that to Ubisoft. after the sucess of Red Steel, they should have quickly followed up with Red Steel 2. instead they wait 4 years when the public stopped caring

Um... Cafe is not the Wii. I agree with your comment, but I don't think it's applicable to the likely situation we'll be facing with this system.

Fantastical said:
So it makes the most sense to launch this in Spring - Summer 2012, right? Revealing your hand and then launching the system more than a year after the reveal seems like a very strange move. Has that ever happened?

So excited to see what they have playable at E3. HD Nintendo games OMG.

it's going to miss the springtime as it won't launch before the end of April

1-D_FTW said:
See Insomniac for Exhibit A. And they even believed it in for longer than most.

Exactly. There are a handful of developers that currently care about a 60fps framerate right now (and that took a hit last year when Criterion released HP). Fighting games are really the only genre right now where developers will do what it takes to get a 60fps framerate.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Crazy times. Who thought just some two weeks ago that we are a mere two months away from playing Nintendo's next generation console?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
J-Rock said:
I cringe at the thought of Ubisoft launch games on this thing.
Assassin's Creed 2 port with super duper live minimap on controller screen

... That could actually work

Vinci said:
Um... Cafe is not the Wii. I agree with your comment, but I don't think it's applicable to the likely situation we'll be facing with this system.

I know. but it's the most prominet example in my mind. whethr there will be another situation like that is on third parties' hands.

Amir0x

Banned
Always-honest said:
yes. THIS.

And mofo PIKMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously the fact that Wii HD means we're one step closer to PIKMIN 3 is really the number one reason I want it at this point.

Vinci

Danish
From The Dust said:
I know. but it's the most prominet example in my mind. whethr there will be another situation like that is on third parties' hands.

Seriously, they'd have to be utterly, just stupendously ignorant to not force a presence onto a Nintendo system again. Especially one this potentially powerful.

antonz

Mr_Brit said:
A 4670 would struggle at 1080p, you'd need at least a 4870 if you want 1080p to be the standard resolution for the Wii 2.
Yeah I think 4770 is the minimum they would go if they want to future proof even a little bit. The 4x performance boost would put them in good positioning for next gen even if they arent neck and neck with the others.

Fantastical said:
Hmmm... in America? or in Japan as well? Is this because it won't be launched in the fiscal year?

anywhere. and yea, Nintendo didn't list it in their expectations for the next fiscal year so it's safe to say Q1/Q2 is out of the question

Boerseun

Banned
The new console would need 1080p at a constant 60 fps as a visual standard. 100% backwards compatibility would be a nice bonus, with Wii and Gamecube games being rendered at the aforementioned resolution and frame rate.

Vinci said:
Seriously, they'd have to be utterly, just stupendously ignorant to not force a presence onto a Nintendo system again. Especially one this potentially powerful.

I'm going to keep my expectations low and keep my PC close. just in case

joedick

From The Dust said:

I think the fact that the first one wasn't very good has more to do with why people ignored the second.

Pikmin 3 would make this a day 1 purchase for me. I really liked Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 was pretty much the 2nd best gameplay experience I had on the GCN (RE4 being #1). I can only imagine the detailed goodness that can come with an HD system and decent graphics power.

antonz

Question. If Nintendo did go with blu ray or a form of it would the drive be capable of reading Nintendos optical discs or would they need to modify the drive?

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
I want Nintendo to release a machine that is capable of make Amir0x say: "Oh, sweet mother of God... it's beautiful!"

Not that hard.

One, to have a system that is technically competent for the time frame it's launching in up to $399.99.
Two, to have a great online infrastructure in place.
Three, creating a slate of NEW hardcore IPs INTERNALLY DEVELOPED with the budget and marketing of a Zelda or Mario game. I'm so tired of their franchise abuse.
Four, Pikmin 3.
Five, ZERUDA.
Six, MARIO.
Seven, no more gimmick controllers. Refine yo' shit.

They already have three of them, now let them approach the other four.

Vinci

Danish
From The Dust said:
I'm going to keep my expectations low and keep my PC close. just in case

Well, of course. Why would anyone not have a PC to play games on these days? Even if the Cafe were 500 different tastes of awesome, it's never going to replace my computer.

Shiggy

From The Dust said:

They quickly followed up...it was just canned in 2008 when it was more or less ready for release (partly due to quality concerns, partly due to Motion+). Ubisoft loves to restart their titles, see Prince of Persia or Splinter Cell Conviction as well as I Am Alive.
24.jpg

rs2_003kn6s.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/colo_ubi032hnrg.jpg

That one even had online multiplayer!

Mr_Brit said:

A 4670 with GDDR5 in a closed box, wouldn't struggle to run X360/PS3 level content at 1080p at all.

joedick said:
I think the fact that the first one wasn't very good has more to do with why people ignored the second.

I guess. but even without the M+, they could heavily improve in the sequel. I actually think the series had a chance if Ubisoft followed up on it

Koren

Boerseun said:
The new console would need 1080p at a constant 60 fps as a visual standard.
You'll never ever have this, unfortunately. 30fps upscaled 720p won't be a problem for most users (they probably won't even notice), and that allow for four times more things or screen, possibly even more... The bells'n whistle will always win this fight.

Still, we can hope that at least the fastest games aim for 60p, and the most cinematic ones aims for 1080p...

Man said:
PS! Sony re-iterating the streaming and remote-play capabilities from PS3-to-PSP/NGP and how it has been done for six years is practically the most assured thing at this years E3 in light of these rumors.
You know they are going to say it.

Effect

Playable at E3? I don't think they'll try for a summer or later launch. I think we'll see another Feb/March launch worldwide the same way the Nintendo 3DS was launched this year. This holiday being focused on the 3DS and the last push for the Wii. Then come next year in Feb/March it will launch so the early adopters can buy. Then everyone else once the big named games come out during the holiday later that year. The Wii will still sell outside of Japan the same way the PS2 continued to sell but the focus will be on the new system at the very start of next year.

I'm already putting money away from this and for several games. I'm there day one as long as I can get my preorder in. I just hope they include both old school controller and a updated version of the Wii remote.

Amir0x said:
Not that hard.

Three, creating a slate of NEW hardcore IPs INTERNALLY DEVELOPED with the budget and marketing of a Zelda or Mario game. I'm so tired of their franchise abuse.

This makes no sense to me, they have IP's that have laid dormant for years, what difference does it make whether they use one of those rather than creating a new IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom