• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
subversus said:
Reading posts like that usually put me straight into "WTF?!" mode but then I realize that I haven't touched a Nintendo console since 1993 and I don't feel that I've missed anything. Different strokes for different folks.

But Super Metroid came out in 1994 :(

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
From The Dust said:
considering basic online co-op and shit is avalible on Nintendo platforms, I'll keep blaming Ubisoft. then again, I have different online expectations
Rainbow Six is pointless without quality Co-Op. Fuck that

Beth Cyra

Neiteio said:
I just realized the touchscreen on the controller means any fighting games on Stream will likely have hot keys ala the "Lite" option in SSFIV3DE, which I -LOVE- (and which isn't a problem for you fussy dandy pro players, since Internet Match filters so you only face people using the same controls).

This would make an easy fighting game like, say, MvC3 (which I currently adore on PS3) even more fun (for me) by shifting the focus more to zoning and tactics (though it is already fairly easy, being mainly hadoken quarter-circles and all).
So many parentheses!
And for harder fighting games, ones like SF with more focus on zigzags and charging, it frees up the game tremendously. Me likey!

I guess this will be a feature on the inevitable Super Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds: Stream Edition (or SMVC3FTWSE, as we'll call it down in the hood). Lite controls, hopefully figurines, and Venom. And not this new COD BLOPS Venom, I mean straight-up Eddie-Brock-drooling-green-stuff Venom. 'Aight?

Brock hasn't been Venom for years and nor should he suddenly be again.

Flash Thompson Venom or nothing.

THE:MILKMAN

I have a question for GPU GAF.

Just comparing the basic specs of RSX and XENOS, they are both beaten by my brothers Mobility Radeon HD5650 in his laptop.

Is that a fair comparison?

Because the Mobile HD5650 is a 40nm part with a TDP of 19 watt.

Sorry if its a dumb comparison....

subversus said:
Reading posts like that usually put me straight into "WTF?!" mode but then I realize that I haven't touched a Nintendo console since 1993 and I don't feel that I've missed anything. Different strokes for different folks.
If you started then you'd realise what you've been missing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Officially announced? When did this happen and how did I miss it, damn.

Anyways, E3 suddenly got interesting for me. I can't wait for the reveal and to see the games in motion. I must have this.

Vinci

Danish
Death Dealer said:
Probably because next-gen systems rarely have any worthwhile software the first year on the market.

That too. Also, I'd like to have time to see where things are going, how software is being dispersed, etc.

THE:MILKMAN said:
I have a question for GPU GAF.

Just comparing the basic specs of RSX and XENOS, they are both beaten by my brothers Mobility Radeon HD5650 in his laptop.

Is that a fair comparison?

Because the Mobile HD5650 is a 40nm part with a TDP of 19 watt.

Sorry if its a dumb comparison....

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does beat them, but by how much, I don't know. I rarely ever look at video cards on laptops.

Death Dealer said:
Probably because next-gen systems rarely have any worthwhile software the first year on the market.

If this really is going to be as easy to multiplat with as it seems, and if Nintendo are pushing pubs to do just that, it could have a stellar lineup for its first year ;-)

rpmurphy

subversus said:
Mac gaming wasn't bad in the 90's.

Mithos

Gold Member
Seeing as Nintendo is Nintendo (duh!)

I can absolutely see them doing 1080p @ 60fps in Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc, whereas I do not think the 3rd parties will go that route.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The Dreamcast 2 notion is incredibly stupid.

You fail to realize that neither the PS4 nor the Xbox 3 will get a quantum jump in graphics. This was true from the Saturn/N64/PS1 to the Dreamcast/GCN/PS2, the graphics were so bad in that day, that you could notice the difference between Dreamcast/PS2 graphics; but now there isn't much ahead to jump in graphics; an updated Xbox360 or PS3 or Stream Cafe is the best you'll get with current technology.

Developers won't bleed money so you can see the hair inside the nose of the main character... If 2D peaked with NeoGeo, 3D peaks here; Mario Cafe won't look significantly better than Galaxy on the dolphin emulator; GT7 car models won't be infinitely superior to GT5 car models (the good ones, the ones with tons of stupid details), this is ridiculous to think.

I don't know what you guys are expecting of the next generation of consoles, but I've reached the conclusion that polygon graphics are maximized, and there is little you can do to have a game look better than Crysis. Just as Yoshi's Island was the pinnacle of 2D and sprite gaming, I think we've reached the pinnacle of 3D (or polygonal) gaming.

Also, this generation had the Dreamcast 2. It's called the Xbox 360 (there were many articles saying this some years ago), underpowered considerably, with DVDs instead of Blu-Rays, etc, but guess what? it didn't matter, most of the third party stuff is better on that console.

Banned
I wonder how much this will cut into 360/PS3 sales. Even just an announcement could make potential 360/PS3 buyers wait.

LowParry

Karma said:
I wonder how much this will cut into 360/PS3 sales. Even just an announcement could make potential 360/PS3 buyers wait.

I doubt it'll do anything. There's a lot of heavy hitters coming out this year for both systems.

civilstrife said:
Well, I think that's it until E3. I'm not expecting anything tonight.

Not about Cafe, anyway. There might be a few tidbits in the Q&A to speculate on, but that won't be transcribed for a few more days.

I don't really get the need for Nintendo to create more IPs. For one, they've already produced more major IPs than any other company. Second, those IPs span across just about every genre already. What's the point for creating new IPs in the same genre? There isn't much of one. Third, often their already used IPs are complete reinventions of the series (see: Metroid or Excite). Fourth, in some opinion, their existing IPs don't get used enough. The cry for a true console Kirby was a long one. We haven't even got a new F-Zero in 7 years, despite the last console one being what some may put amongst the greatest racers of all-time.

Doffen

Death Dealer said:
I disagree. The first year is generally as good as any other year, but how good you think it is clearly depends on your taste.

Darko

wwm0nkey said:
Wonder if this undisclosed feature is the ability to swap out parts of the console over time.
zzz22g%20014.jpg

eso76

Woffls said:
It's not the case.

I mean... seriously? Do people actually think this?

so you guys know for sure the one on the controller is a secondary display and not the main one ? i dont know, i think Nintendo are the kind of guys who would think its a good idea to market a console as playable without a hdtv.
having a touch screen interface on a pad would otherwise be nice, if only to give you an unlimited number of buttons\commands you can quickly find and select.
6' sounds too large for a secondary display, though; and especially for something sitting in the middle of a controller.

-viper-

Banned
manueldelalas said:
The Dreamcast 2 notion is incredibly stupid.

You fail to realize that neither the PS4 nor the Xbox 3 will get a quantum jump in graphics. This was true from the Saturn/N64/PS1 to the Dreamcast/GCN/PS2, the graphics were so bad in that day, that you could notice the difference between Dreamcast/PS2 graphics; but now there isn't much ahead to jump in graphics; an updated Xbox360 or PS3 or Stream Cafe is the best you'll get with current technology.

Developers won't bleed money so you can see the hair inside the nose of the main character... If 2D peaked with NeoGeo, 3D peaks here; Mario Cafe won't look significantly better than Galaxy on the dolphin emulator; GT7 car models won't be infinitely superior to GT5 car models (the good ones, the ones with tons of stupid details), this is ridiculous to think.

I don't know what you guys are expecting of the next generation of consoles, but I've reached the conclusion that polygon graphics are maximized, and there is little you can do to have a game look better than Crysis. Just as Yoshi's Island was the pinnacle of 2D and sprite gaming, I think we've reached the pinnacle of 3D (or polygonal) gaming.

Also, this generation had the Dreamcast 2. It's called the Xbox 360 (there were many articles saying this some years ago), underpowered considerably, with DVDs instead of Blu-Rays, etc, but guess what? it didn't matter, most of the third party stuff is better on that console.
GT5 car models are already perfect:
http://generationdreamteam.free.fr/afrika/GranTurismo/GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

:p

Honestly, I would be so happy for a PS4/Xbox 720 with the same kind of leap we saw from PS2 -> PS3.

Crysis 2 fidelity is what I want in all my games.

TruePrime said:
Brock hasn't been Venom for years and nor should he suddenly be again.

Flash Thompson Venom or nothing.

I haven't read Amazing in a while, but considering what they've done to 'revitalize' the comic, I wouldn't put it pass them to say, "screw continuity, bring back brock venom for nostalgia."

Vieo

I'll reserve judgment until I see the thing in action, BUT aiming with the Wiimote in RE4 was probably the most fun I've had with the Wii. If they're abandoning an on-screen pointer + motion controls for a touchscreen I'm going to be very disappointed. Fiddling with an analog stick to shoot zombies in the face isn't as satisfying.

Cow Mengde said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does beat them, but by how much, I don't know. I rarely ever look at video cards on laptops.

You're better off using a Mobility 5770 as that is the same chip but has access to GDDR5 memory (which Cafe will). Despite only drawing 30w, its still a good ~2-3x upgrade.

Vieo said:
I'll reserve judgment until I see the thing in action, BUT aiming with the Wiimote in RE4 was probably the most fun I've had with the Wii. If they're abandoning an on-screen pointer + motion controls for a touchscreen I'm going to be very disappointed. Fiddling with an analog stick to shoot zombies in the face isn't as satisfying.
i'm guessing you wouldn't need an analog stick to aim. just tap the stylus.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cow Mengde said:
The 5650 is the best thing to happen to laptop gaming in a looong while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom