• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpbaa

THE:MILKMAN said:
I have a question for GPU GAF.

Just comparing the basic specs of RSX and XENOS, they are both beaten by my brothers Mobility Radeon HD5650 in his laptop.

Is that a fair comparison?

Because the Mobile HD5650 is a 40nm part with a TDP of 19 watt.

Sorry if its a dumb comparison....

A laptop I had with a 4650 peformed better than the ps3 or 360 in a lot of games. It really only fell behind in games that were more CPU dependent (since it was a rather weak Core 2 Duo). So I assume the 5650 is a whole lot better.

AniHawk

manueldelalas said:
The Dreamcast 2 notion is incredibly stupid.

You fail to realize that neither the PS4 nor the Xbox 3 will get a quantum jump in graphics. This was true from the Saturn/N64/PS1 to the Dreamcast/GCN/PS2, the graphics were so bad in that day, that you could notice the difference between Dreamcast/PS2 graphics; but now there isn't much ahead to jump in graphics; an updated Xbox360 or PS3 or Stream Cafe is the best you'll get with current technology.

Developers won't bleed money so you can see the hair inside the nose of the main character... If 2D peaked with NeoGeo, 3D peaks here; Mario Cafe won't look significantly better than Galaxy on the dolphin emulator; GT7 car models won't be infinitely superior to GT5 car models (the good ones, the ones with tons of stupid details), this is ridiculous to think.

I don't know what you guys are expecting of the next generation of consoles, but I've reached the conclusion that polygon graphics are maximized, and there is little you can do to have a game look better than Crysis. Just as Yoshi's Island was the pinnacle of 2D and sprite gaming, I think we've reached the pinnacle of 3D (or polygonal) gaming.

Also, this generation had the Dreamcast 2. It's called the Xbox 360 (there were many articles saying this some years ago), underpowered considerably, with DVDs instead of Blu-Rays, etc, but guess what? it didn't matter, most of the third party stuff is better on that console.

well that and the fact that the dreamcast never faced off against the gamecube or xbox. the dreamcast was in competition with the ps2 for less than a year before sega pulled the plug, and the age difference between the dreamcast and ps2 was less than the age difference between the ps2 and xbox/gamecube.

the only way it's a dreamcast vs gamecube/xbox situation is if sony and microsoft release their new systems in 2015.

Utako

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Yoshi's Island was the pinnacle of 2D and sprite gaming
Yes.. oh wait, no.

iL1I0.jpg

We haven't reached the pinnacle of 2D or 3D yet, and we won't be doing so for a long, long time.

Neiteio

Utako said:
Yes.. oh wait, no.

iL1I0.jpg

We haven't reached the pinnacle of 2D or 3D yet, and we won't be doing so for a long, long time.
That reminds me, Vanillaware's new 3DS title is alleged to be another drop-dead gorgeous 2D game. Imagine Muramasa with its layers in stereo 3D. HNNNNNG!

Another reason to look forward to E3. My body is so ready it's lactating.

JABEE

Does anyone know what expectations we should have for that live stream tonight? Is that actually happening or is it fake?

Codeblue

Japanese investors meeting. We've gotten some game info from these types of things before so people are hoping to see Cafe there tonight. I think it starts at 3 A.M. Est.

snesfreak

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
A laptop I had with a 4650 peformed better than the ps3 or 360 in a lot of games. It really only fell behind in games that were more CPU dependent (since it was a rather weak Core 2 Duo). So I assume the 5650 is a whole lot better.
Same here, thing gets hot as hell too (the CPU that is.)

mj1108

MYE said:
Whats happening today?

And a serious response please D:
Last page is full of shitty jokes

Nintendo's investor meeting in about 8-9 hours. Nobody knows if more will be said about Cafe or not....

I'm guessing not

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
-viper- said:
GT5 car models are already perfect:
http://generationdreamteam.free.fr/afrika/GranTurismo/GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

:p

Honestly, I would be so happy for a PS4/Xbox 720 with the same kind of leap we saw from PS2 -> PS3.

Crysis 2 fidelity is what I want in all my games.
That's what I'm saying. Crysis 2 will be on Xbox 360 and PS3, you won't get any significant graphic upgrade on a PS4/Xbox 3/Wii Cafe console; this isn't the jump from PS2 to PS3, this is the jump from PS3 and PC gaming today, and it's not that impressive.

THE:MILKMAN

Cow Mengde said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does beat them, but by how much, I don't know. I rarely ever look at video cards on laptops.

Cheers. The reason I ask is that reading the eurogamer article they seem to believe that Nintendo are going the low power route (true), therefore cafe will be equal or lower power than RSX/XENOS(false I hope).

brain_stew said:
You're better off using a Mobility 5770 as that is the same chip but has access to GDDR5 memory (which Cafe will). Despite only drawing 30w, its still a good ~2-3x upgrade.

Wow, even better. At this point Nintendo would have to spend extra money to gimp the GPU!

-Eddman-

Branduil said:
People seem to be forgetting that the system is backwards compatible. The Wiimote isn't going away.

Yes, the fact that Nintendo is strongly pushing the Wiimote Plus with Wii Play Motion supports this.

Mojojo

JABEE said:
Does anyone know what expectations we should have for that live stream tonight? Is that actually happening or is it fake?
Iwata said he won't tell more about it until E3, but during this tuesday Q&A he might have to ...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If I was an investor, I'd print out the press-release and throw it at Iwata saying "What is this shit!"

And then stage a sit-down protest until he reveals more.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm not getting my hopes up for the meeting tonight. Probably just a reiteration and confirmation of some of the rumors and a wait til E3 deal.

pharmboy044 said:
So, will we get more details tonight with the live stream or will we have to wait until E3?

All will be revealed tonight.

You know that's the best way to look at it for this thread's sake.

Nintendo "megatons" are as common as holidays nowadays, you can't go too far long before the next one!!!!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
manueldelalas said:
That's what I'm saying. Crysis 2 will be on Xbox 360 and PS3, you won't get any significant graphic upgrade on a PS4/Xbox 3/Wii Cafe console; this isn't the jump from PS2 to PS3, this is the jump from PS3 and PC gaming today, and it's not that impressive.
Really? Have you played Crysis 2 on a PC at max settings? It blows the console versions out of the water.

birdchili said:
excite is a new ip. ok. (not technically dev'd by nintendo, but close enough)

the others are old ip.
It's not Nintendo's fault they have a huge library of in demand IPs to work with.

I'm not saying I don't want them to make any new ones, but what they do is far from abuse.

AniHawk said:
well that and the fact that the dreamcast never faced off against the gamecube or xbox. the dreamcast was in competition with the ps2 for less than a year before sega pulled the plug, and the age difference between the dreamcast and ps2 was less than the age difference between the ps2 and xbox/gamecube.

the only way it's a dreamcast vs gamecube/xbox situation is if sony and microsoft release their new systems in 2015.

Cafe could never be a Dreamcast simply because N has excellent franchises and a locked-in fan-base to carry any console with minimal third party support. Sega really lacked these things.

Further, Wii has already proven that hardware is greatly irrelevant to a large segment of gamers. Cafe won't flop simply because SONY exaggerates PS4 graphical capabilities.

Cosmonaut X said:
If this really is going to be as easy to multiplat with as it seems, and if Nintendo are pushing pubs to do just that, it could have a stellar lineup for its first year ;-)

You're right. Like I said, just a 1080p 60fps GTA V would be a compelling option for being an earlier Stream adopter. Or the superior version of any other 2012ish 3rd party games.

I guess what I meant was it usually takes more than a year for games that really take advantage of the new hardware. Skyward Sword will probably turn out just like TP. A Zelda game for next-gen that was developed with last gen in mind. But maybe we'll be surprised and they've already been working on some compelling 1st party Stream games that will arrive in 4th quarter 2012. I think they'd like to have a new Mario or something ASAP to open peoples eyes to the potential of their new system. A new F-Zero would be amazing. Wipeout HD is still amazing looking. I can't imagine how awesome a new F-Zero game running on next gen hw could be like.

cloudyy

All this just reminds me of that Kirby game showed at spaceworld but never came out. The controller could be like a simple gba just with analog sticks and integrated gyro. Since it's all wireless, you could also simply use the 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rLhIwp2iGk

Edit: What if the Wii2 is a local Onlive that can stream the game on the new controller (without 3D) and/or on a 3DS (with the 3D) and also on a regular HDTV.

Sadist

ombz said:
No American investors attend the meeting?
As Varjet mentioned, Nintendo will have some release lists for JPN/US/EU.

But if Xenoblade/The Last Story will see a release in America for instance, it's up to NoA to announce that.

Neiteio

I want a Steel Diver sequel with the levers, switches and throttles on the touchscreen. The touchscreen could handle Periscope Strike as well, assuming the controller has gyros. Let's see a Pikmin 1 --> Pikmin 2 jump in content and presentation!

thetrin said:
Really? Have you played Crysis 2 on a PC at max settings? It blows the console versions out of the water.

This. People need to learn what they're talking about before blurting it. To even compare the ps3 to a current top of the line PC and say the differnece is "not impressive" is a joke!

Raw64life

Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch. Must not buy new console at launch.

joedick

Sadist said:
As Varjet mentioned, Nintendo will have some release lists for JPN/US/EU.

But if Xenoblade/The Last Story will see a release in America for instance, it's up to NoA to announce that.

Didn't they just release the Q2 release list recently? Don't expect any NA dates from tonight.

Personally, I'm not expecting much. But I like watching the meltdowns here, so stay up and watch it if you'd like.

Ickman3400 said:
This. People need to learn what they're talking about before blurting it. To even compare the ps3 to a current top of the line PC and say the differnece is "not impressive" is a joke!

I do feel there is more to be gleaned from Xbox 360 and PS3 though -- Tri Ace's lighting demo here looks so good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpu6qMwMlM

If there is no Café talk at the investor meeting (in 8 and a half hours) - I may be contented if there is some detail regarding the 3DS firmware update due next month and the eShop etc.

Neiteio said:
I want a Steel Diver sequel with the levers, switches and throttles on the touchscreen. The touchscreen could handle Periscope Strike as well, assuming the controller has gyros. Let's see a Pikmin 1 --> Pikmin 2 jump in content and presentation!
I wanna see that kind of jump from Pikmin 2 --> Pikmin 3.

GOAT

Glass Joe

AniHawk said:

Yeah, Dreamcast launching early wasn't the sole reason for it's demise, though I'm sure lack of horsepower vs the competition didn't help it later on. 360 launched early and it was a hit. Then again, 360 still seemed powerful vs Wii and pretty on par with PS3, so that might not be the best example after all.

I think the main problem with the Dreamcast was customer confidence was lacking with Sega. Sega fans had seen the Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn get abandoned in a relatively short time frame. Sega not supporting their own product meant it made sense to take a "wait and see" attitude. Nintendo's much more likely to stick to their guns for the 5 year plan, regardless of what Cafe's popularity turns out to be.

Keep in mind the Virtual Boy wasn't exactly a console or a handheld. It was an odd 3rd tier thing that didn't take. Other than that, there's no examples of Nintendo abandoning their hardware out of lack of interest.

As a side note, if these controllers turn out to stream content to their own screen, I wonder how that affects the 3DS's desirability. Sure you can't take it with you, but I mainly play my 3DS at home anyway. Nintendo could risk competing with itself.

Krowley

Death Dealer said:
You're right. Like I said, just a 1080p 60fps GTA V would be a compelling option for being an earlier Stream adopter. Or the superior version of any other 2012ish 3rd party games.

I guess what I meant was it usually takes more than a year for games that really take advantage of the new hardware. Skyward Sword will probably turn out just like TP. A Zelda game for next-gen that was developed with last gen in mind. But maybe we'll be surprised and they've already been working on some compelling 1st party Stream games that will arrive in 4th quarter 2012. I think they'd like to have a new Mario or something ASAP to open peoples eyes to the potential of their new system. A new F-Zero would be amazing. Wipeout HD is still amazing looking. I can't imagine how awesome a new F-Zero game running on next gen hw could be like.

I would be pretty shocked to find out skyward sword was moving to the new system at all.

As others have said, that game is fundamentally designed around the wiimote, moreso than just about any game nintendo has made this gen. Not to mention that upgrading the graphics to a suitable level for the reported specs of this system would be a much bigger task than moving TP over.

I'm sure they would like to have a zelda to launch the system, but I just don't see this happening.

Well, maybe one possible exception. if the system comes with a motion controller, they might make a version of zelda as a way to sell it to the motion control crowd, but it is still doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom